Maine: A Farmers Painful Experience, Knowing About Medical Marijuana's Benefits

Jacob Redmond

If you have perched on the edge of your bed at 2 a.m., unable to sleep because of constant debilitating pain, you will be pleased to hear that on May 30 and 31 the Medical Marijuana Caregivers of Maine are having a tradeshow at the Civic Center in Augusta.

Brad Terry, a clarinet-playing wannabe Maine humorist, was heard to remark, "I'm skeptical about this year's show. They've extended it to two full days, which seems excessive when three days seem like only one."

My whole-hearted support for this group of friends is more than philosophical or academic. A couple of years ago, they helped me when my back hurt so much that I would do anything to get clear of the pain. I would sit before the stove while cooking my morning rolled oats and could barely creep from one chair to another, bent over like a birch tree in an ice storm.

Like most pain you have experienced, mine was also self-inflicted; I hurt myself while thrashing my body about trying to get traction for a small rider mower. When you're over 75, your body won't take the yanks and tugs it sloughed off when you were a kid of 60.

A couple of years ago, I was invited to speak at the Caregivers' Augusta meeting and was impressed by a lecture a doctor gave by means of a live TV hookup. He had studied marijuana, hoping to discredit it and ban it, but in the process realized the amazing medicinal prowess of the weed — which turned him into a medical marijuana advocate — much like Paul's eyes were opened on the road to Damascus.

We learned that several alternative pain treatments that were even recently ridiculed are now standard at some hospitals. The caveat here being, if you're hurting do your research. Don't bypass our capable M.D. and P.A. friends in hospitals.

And please, on the other hand, don't be taken in by quacks just because they have an "Alternative Medicine" shingle on their doors.

From experience, I can tell you that a person in pain will grasp at straws. The cost for a promised panacea is no object, and people who are hurting are prime targets for scammers.

That said, you might know of a place in your corner of Maine where medical marijuana is available.

A friend tells me of a clinic in Ellsworth that is helping his neighbor who has epilepsy. He says they're also helping a friend with arthritis from fractures suffered in an accident long ago.

What turned me on to medical marijuana? As mentioned above, I foolishly hurt my back and would sit on the edge of our bed, all bent over, unable to sleep, groaning and moaning, wishing the pain would go away.

My wife, Marsha, The Almost Perfect Woman, probably wished that I would either shut up or go away. Pain affects everyone in the household. The codeine my doctor friend gave me had horrible side effects and you are lucky if you don't know what they are.

At last, in desperation, I contacted a friend with ties to medical marijuana. I was given some salve, some little dry ball things, and some goo in a bottle. Because smoking is supposed to be the most efficacious delivery vehicle, I tried smoking the little balls, but it stank like burning truck tires or the candles in a UU church. I coughed and couldn't do it.

But all was well when I mixed two spoonfuls of the goo with honey and hot water and drank it like tea.

No coughing. No pain. My back eventually healed itself without need of an operation. You might be pleased to hear that, unless I take up bungee jumping or jitterbugging, my back should outlast me.

Now I wish that I'd known what marijuana could do back when my mother was sick from chemotherapy 45 years ago.

Are our antiquated laws and regulations preventing doctors from helping people who request inexpensive relief from arthritic discomfort?

What prevents physicians from simply saying, "Go home and drink up a spoonful of this marijuana goo as needed for your back pain. You should plant one of these weeds in your garden so you won't need to keep driving in to town to see me. And while on this medication don't drive the kids to school or use the hydraulic wood splitter."

Wouldn't you like to see a lot more research and publicity on medical marijuana? Should more people be aware that a weed you can grow in your backyard will give you relief from pain — without the horrible side effects of over-the-counter pills?

With all the money to be made selling manufactured dope, do you wonder that a common weed that kills pain should be suspect, illegal or immoral?

14546.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: ? The humble Farmer: From painful experience, I know about medical marijuana?s benefits
Author: Robert Skoglund
Photo Credit: None Found

Re: Maine: A Farmers Painful Experience, I Know About Medical Marijuana's Benefits

This is a good one, jacob, i really got into it. Truth laid out plain and simple and straight to the point.I keep laughing about it. lol

Re: Maine: A Farmers Painful Experience, I Know About Medical Marijuana's Benefits

This is a good one, jacob, i really got into it. Truth laid out plain and simple and straight to the point.I keep laughing about it. lol

Thanks, I try to get a variety of news, op-eds, and press info for this forum. Great to know that you guys are enjoying! This was a fantastic article. I'm a city boy but my parents are from KY and TN and I've got a lot of family in the agricultural industry so this one just jumped right out to me :high-five:

Back
Top Bottom