ResponsibleOhio Investor Defends Marijuana Legalization Plan

Jacob Redmond

One of the major investors backing a ballot issue to legalize marijuana assured future entrepreneurs there would be thousands of business opportunities available to them despite the plan's controversial limits on commercial growing.

T-shirts with marijuana slogans, cannabis-infused beverages, packaging for marijuana products are among the endless possibilities Ohioans can come up with, according to Alan Mooney, a Columbus-area investor in ResponsibleOhio's legalization campaign.

"Ohio is going to dominate in this world - you guys are going to do that," Mooney told attendees at a marijuana business conference held here. "You're not just going to be in Ohio - this is just maybe where you're getting started. You're going to end up with an opportunity because the whole world is going to watch what we're doing."

Issue 3 would legalize marijuana sales and use to adults over age 21, making Ohio the fifth state to allow recreational use and the first to legalize without first having a medical marijuana program. All commercial marijuana could only be grown on 10 pre-selected sites owned by investors bankrolling the initiative, but Ohioans could grow small amounts for personal use.

If approved by voters, marijuana could be sold at retail storefronts as soon as October 2016. Issue 3 would allow up to 1,150 retail stores in Ohio - more than the number of Starbucks and McDonalds stores in Ohio. Retail licenses would have to first be approved in local elections, similar to liquor licenses.

On Saturday, Mooney defended ResponsibleOhio's plan to conference attendees who were critical of the limited grow sites.

Mooney is a co-owner of the Licking County marijuana farm, which he said would only grow strains of marijuana for medical use. He said ResponsibleOhio's plan represents a compromise and other pro-marijuana groups have not been able to get on the ballot.

"Those are 10 corporations - how many people do you think it takes to fill those corporations? There are thousands of people already involved," Mooney said.

ResponsibleOhio plans to spend more than $20 million to convince voters to approve their issue. Mooney and his fellow investors have shielded how much they've actually raised and contributed to the campaign through a network of limited liability companies created in the past year.

Mooney said without deep pockets, a marijuana initiative would never make it on the Ohio ballot.

Ohioans Against Marijuana Monopolies, the coalition of law enforcement, medical associations and others opposing Issue 3, has said the amendment is nothing more than a money-making scheme for the investors.

"So far, it appears that the only ones supporting ResponsibleOhio's plan are the limited number of wealthy investors backing the campaign who will financially benefit if the proposal passes," Ohioans Against Marijuana Monopolies spokeswoman Jen Detwiler said in an email Saturday.

Ohionans will also vote this fall on a legislature-sponsored measure - Issue 2 - that would prohibit monopolies from being written into the Ohio Constitution. If both Issues 2 and 3 pass, the prevailing measure would likely be decided in court.

About 80 people attended Saturday's conference, which aimed to help future entrepreneurs better understand pending legislation such as Issue 3 and how people in other states have built businesses in an industry that goes against federal law.

Mooney was joined by representatives from Ohioans to End Prohibition, which is circulating a recreational and medical marijuana petition for the 2016 ballot, and Ohio Rights Group, which would legalize only medical marijuana.

Sri Kavuru, president of Ohioans to End Prohibition, said it's important to build a proper regulatory framework the first time and ResponsibleOhio's plan is fatally flawed. Kavuru said if ResponsibleOhio wanted to compromise, they would have listened to more people while drafting the amendment.

"It's very clear it is not a compromise, but it's an attempt to amend the constitution to create a special financial benefit for a small group of people," Kavuru said in an interview.

1150.jpeg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: ResponsibleOhio investor defends marijuana legalization plan | cleveland.com
Author: Jackie Borchardt
Photo Credit: Jackie Borchardt/Northeast Ohio Media Group
Website: Cleveland OH Local News, Breaking News, Sports & Weather - cleveland.com

re: Responsible Ohio Investor Defends Marijuana Legalization Plan

Sounds like trickle down economics
T-shirts with marijuana slogans, cannabis-infused beverages, packaging for marijuana products are among the endless possibilities Ohioans can come up with, according to Alan Mooney, a Columbus-area investor in ResponsibleOhio's legalization campaign.

We, the privileged corporations, will charge 100s per ounce as the sole legal providers - but the rest of you can make t-shirts and fancy boxes that sell for low prices to compete with ancillary low-price products from other states and overseas. Gee, looks like a golden opportunity for those willing to make a meal out of crumbs.

re: Responsible Ohio Investor Defends Marijuana Legalization Plan

Well the investors have stepped up with a lot of money, I see 3 or 4 tv ads just in the evenings here in Ohio. Spending over 20 million bucks on this, the 10 investors, do you have 2 million to kick in.
Many groups are fighting but I am for legalization now. Yea they will make a lot of money.
ME, I will be able to grow my own and purchase when I would like recreational cannabis. Most of us are not looking to be a king pin but just take care of matters here on my property for the family. Should we wait until everyone can get rich, just wonder how long that will take, will we lose the momentum odds are yes we would. Then it will be a should'a, could'a. Hey I am 60 years old and did not think I would see this in my life time, you ask me to wait, I have been waiting for 45 years, just how much longer you think. And will the government come up with a better deal for me,...., huh.

Re: Responsible Ohio Investor Defends Marijuana Legalization Plan

unless the law frees all who have been unjustly imprisoned, allows growing for personal use and allows cannabis to be sold at the local markets just like tomatoes, then what you have is just another version of prohibition.

all of these new legalization efforts do nothing to improve the cannabis community, while perpetuating the injustices of prohibition.

The oligarchs want control and seem to be using our state like a pet... Nothing new here? I think that the issue should not be connected to the state constitution. It doesn't matter who gets the ball rolling because the market/people (other market) will eventually balance the scales. So let the people w/ money spend their money but do not let them own our State constitution. Controling the money,land and patents is old school of the rich, we are getting serious about Democracy especially since all the stuff is out there on the internet all we need to do is read.

What are the specifics with regards to personal cultivation? How many veg. (not including seedlings or clones) and how many flowering at the same time? If it's less than five of each, shoot this proposition down.

What are the specifics with regards to personal cultivation? How many veg. (not including seedlings or clones) and how many flowering at the same time? If it's less than five of each, shoot this proposition down.

All I have heard is 4 plants WITH THE PURCHASE OF A LICENSE.

4 flowering plants.
No mention of vegetatively growing plants..
I will vote yes.
Let's see, grow 4 plants in my back yard?
Or vote to remain a criminal subject to jail/inprisonment hoping for something better to come along?
I vote yes, structured legalization is better than No legalization.
Is it rigged for the investors?
Sure it is, that's why they are spending umpteen millions on it. Doh..

Yea sure in the big abstract picture I agree that we should wait for a better deal. But I am voting for ME, let me grow my 4 flowering plants and possess up to 8 oz of dried flowers.

^^^Agreed^^^

Yea sure in the big abstract picture I agree that we should wait for a better deal. But I am voting for ME, let me grow my 4 flowering plants and possess up to 8 oz of dried flowers.

It will still be a Felony to possess or cultivate over 100 grams of marijuana. Subject to a fine and 1 year in prison. Yea you can have 4 plants just don't flower them.

The real shame being missed here is, we either need the gov't or a conglomerate of millionaires to do everything for us. Give me back the 60's, we changed shit in the streets. It was either a $5 or $100 fine ,for less than 100 grams, depending if you wanted to be charged by local law, or state law. State 100 bucks No record, City fine was 5 bucks, went on your record. Then came Nancy.

The proposal states " 4 flowering plants"
8 ounces of dried usable marijuana.
Free to trade up to an ounce without remuneration ( selling it ).
Sounds ok to me.

Here in Ohio we still buy distilled liquors in State stores or approved agents, is that is the same as MJ will be or at least similarly, so if you think we will leap frog that think again. The sales will be regulated by the state. Liquor is still sold by the State of Ohio then to the liquor stores or agents as they are the only company to purchase direct from distillers. The convenience stores do not sell anything but beer, wine, some spirits up to 42 proof. So it is not like this movement is being held down specifically, kinda sorta. In Findlay, OH a town of 40,000 there are like 4 or 5 locations that sell carry out liquor but probably 50 convenience stores or more. So just please relax and help gain legalization here as your opinion matters at least to me.

buddie.jpg

Here in Ohio we still buy distilled liquors in State stores or approved agents, is that is the same as MJ will be or at least similarly, so if you think we will leap frog that think again. The sales will be regulated by the state. Liquor is still sold by the State of Ohio then to the liquor stores or agents as they are the only company to purchase direct from distillers. The convenience stores do not sell anything but beer, wine, some spirits up to 42 proof. So it is not like this movement is being held down specifically, kinda sorta. In Findlay, OH a town of 40,000 there are like 4 or 5 locations that sell carry out liquor but probably 50 convenience stores or more. So just please relax and help gain legalization here as your opinion matters at least to me.

buddie.jpg

In further checking, there are at least 5 different petitions floating around the Buckeye state. Just saying don't sell out, just to have partial rights. As usual, the 2 that get most attention are the ones by millionaires and politicians. The others cut the gov't out of the process even more, allow far more plants for personal use, they have no chance. As it is a race to see which of the big 2 gets the votes first. Good luck...Word of warning to you folks though. We voted here last election and it was a done deal, 84 percent polled in favor of just Medical, no rec. Out of state billionaires, along with local billionaires bombarded the air waves and it failed with only 58% for. So Rock the vote!

Hell I still own property there, may have to visit more often

In further checking, there are at least 5 different petitions floating around the Buckeye state. Just saying don't sell out, just to have partial rights. As usual, the 2 that get most attention are the ones by millionaires and politicians. The others cut the gov't out of the process even more, allow far more plants for personal use, they have no chance. As it is a race to see which of the big 2 gets the votes first. Good luck...Word of warning to you folks though. We voted here last election and it was a done deal, 84 percent polled in favor of just Medical, no rec. Out of state billionaires, along with local billionaires bombarded the air waves and it failed with only 58% for. So Rock the vote!

Hell I still own property there, may have to visit more often

Things look a lot more hopeful than 58% for 2016. I hear the over 65 crowd is catching on to the pain relief of cannabis for arthritis.
Put arthritis relief in the ads for MMJ and 60%+ should be no problem :)

All I have heard is 4 plants WITH THE PURCHASE OF A LICENSE.

Looking further into this, the smell gets really bad for Ohio residents. The Commission is only required by law, to,issue 10 licenses to grow. Those go to the backers, they are NOT required by law to issue any license to individual Ohio residents. In fact the Commison will be made up of only 1 public person, all others will be appointed by Gov., so backers control the Commission and refuse any and all other permits to grow. The residents will have no recourse for denials, NONE.

Additionally, no marijuana infused products are legal unless bought through the 10 growers, so no brownies, cookies, bubble hash, or oils allowed to be made at home. Yes, even if you buy the herb from them, you can not legally do anything but smoke it. The Corporation seems to get even greedier in their amendment, to their original amendment, read it ALL folks.

I will be STRONGLY advising my friends and relatives living in Ohio, to vote NO on 2 & 3.. Most, actually live on 3rd or 4th generation family run farms, my Avatar pic is from an Ohio woods many moons ago.

Rads read it. It states that any amendment that SETS A TAX rate for a marijuana industry, is unconstitutional. At least from what I am able to cypher, no lawyer but..

The problem with passing Issue 3 is, they have $16 million plus what they make next year, to fight the other amendments being offered in 2016. Which are much more resident grower friendly, more plants, edibles, oils etc.

The problem with not passing Issue 3 is, they will help defeat any amendment offered in 2016.

Not being a lawyer I ask you, since as a group, you have more knowledge on both issues 2 and 3. It has been said that if issue 3 passes with lets say 57% and issue 2 passes with 60%, issue 2 will then supersede issue 3.
Will that mean that MJ will not become legal or will it just be that the 10 commercial growers can not form as planned.
I have heard different sides to this and TV and News sources are not reliable as you would think.
Todays Courier Newspaper letter's to the editor was a county commissioner voicing to vote this issue down.
It is going to get very interesting here in the Buckeye State.

Not being a lawyer I ask you, since as a group, you have more knowledge on both issues 2 and 3. It has been said that if issue 3 passes with lets say 57% and issue 2 passes with 60%, issue 2 will then supersede issue 3.
Will that mean that MJ will not become legal or will it just be that the 10 commercial growers can not form as planned.
I have heard different sides to this and TV and News sources are not reliable as you would think.
Todays Courier Newspaper letter's to the editor was a county commissioner voicing to vote this issue down.
It is going to get very interesting here in the Buckeye State.

Issue 2 and Issue 3 are 2 different issues. Either or both can pass or fail. If they both pass, issue 2 would then in fact make issue 3 moot if in fact it is decided that issue 3 creates a monopoly. This would happen even if Issue 3 passes with 90% and issue 2 passes with 60%. Issue 2 simply outlaws a monopoly created by the state constitution. Some say Issue 3 creates that monopoly. If they both pass and it can be proven that a monopoly is not created by issue 3 then bada bing we have legal cannabis in Ohio. Some also wonder if the state controlled liquor sales would also be considered a monopoly then. Lot of questions at this point and not enough answers.

Back
Top Bottom