Ohio: Attorney General Rejects Ballot Language For Medical Marijuana

Jacob Redmond

Ballot language for a new medical marijuana issue was rejected for a second time today by Attorney General Mike DeWine.

DeWine cited "a number of discrepancies" between the ballot summary and full constitutional amendment submitted by backers of the Ohio Medical Cannabis Amendment. DeWine, who provides legal signoff on the ballot language summary of proposed amendments, turned down a previous version of the proposal on July 29.

DeWine said in a letter to Sandra Kay Riggs, of Brice, Ohio, representing Ohio Medical Cannabis Care LLC., that there were several discrepancies in the wording resubmitted Sept. 24. Among the problems: two different numbers for the caregivers allowed per residents in each of Ohio's 88 counties, an inconsistency about whether a board of governors would be appointed or elected, and different cost figures regarding a state commercial cultivation center fee.

The rejected issue is not connected with the ResponsibleOhio marijuana legalization amendment which voters will decide Nov. 3. That amendment proposes legalization of marijuana for both recreational and medicinal use.

16294.JPG

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: DeWine rejects ballot language for medical marijuana
Author: Alan Johnson
Photo Credit: Kyle Robertson

Ballot language for a new medical marijuana issue was rejected for a second time today by Attorney General Mike DeWine.

DeWine cited "a number of discrepancies" between the ballot summary and full constitutional amendment submitted by backers of the Ohio Medical Cannabis Amendment. DeWine, who provides legal signoff on the ballot language summary of proposed amendments, turned down a previous version of the proposal on July 29.

DeWine said in a letter to Sandra Kay Riggs, of Brice, Ohio, representing Ohio Medical Cannabis Care LLC., that there were several discrepancies in the wording resubmitted Sept. 24. Among the problems: two different numbers for the caregivers allowed per residents in each of Ohio's 88 counties, an inconsistency about whether a board of governors would be appointed or elected, and different cost figures regarding a state commercial cultivation center fee.

The rejected issue is not connected with the ResponsibleOhio marijuana legalization amendment which voters will decide Nov. 3. That amendment proposes legalization of marijuana for both recreational and medicinal use.

16294.JPG

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: DeWine rejects ballot language for medical marijuana
Author: Alan Johnson
Photo Credit: Kyle Robertson

So he don't want the citizens to vote. He wants total control !! Ha !! Ya can't make this shit up people !! I would never vote for a bill that doesn't allow home growing !! Talk about greedy !! They've ruined thousands of family lives, and now they want to be our dealers !! I think not !! Ha !!

So he don't want the citizens to vote. He wants total control !! Ha !! Ya can't make this shit up people !! I would never vote for a bill that doesn't allow home growing !! Talk about greedy !! They've ruined thousands of family lives, and now they want to be our dealers !! I think not !! Ha !!

Yeah, some shady dealing going on in the Buckeye State. They need alternatives to a monopoly. It's insane.

Here is a link to the whole story.
DeWine rejects second petition for Ohio medical cannabis amendment - Logan Daily News: News
As you can read there were “a number of discrepancies” (6 listed) any one of which would disqualify the proposed “Ohio Medical Cannabis Amendment” due to defect. The 'rejection' by the Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine is not a matter of personal choice but rather a matter of inconsistency within the proposed ballot itself.

On the other hand, the ResponsibleOhio Ballot Issue 3 will appear on the November 3, 2015 ballot because its summary and full ballot text do not conflict. Here is a link for those who want to take a good look. The Amendment | Yes on 3 Ohio

Per my past posts concerning the matter of legalizing marijuana in Ohio:

Vote YES for Ballot Issue 3 on Tuesday, November 3, 2015
Vote NO for Ballot Issue 2 on Tuesday, November 3, 2015

dewine didn't shoot down the amendment due to his being adverse but the wording was deceptive: one example - it states under 21 yr old but then it states over 18 yrs, both have different meanings. will there be a fund to defray costs? it says both yes and no - which is it?

It is definitely poorly written and could lead to further delays and real conflicts. just my thinking but who am I?

The politics of this issue are being fought differently than I imagined. I was thinking it would be smear tactics, TV and radio. But no, it is being fought internally with lies and most likely illegally. They( politicians) are allowing a personal war against issue 3, we must keep a clear course. No on 2 Yes on 3.

The politics of this issue are being fought differently than I imagined. I was thinking it would be smear tactics, TV and radio. But no, it is being fought internally with lies and most likely illegally. They( politicians) are allowing a personal war against issue 3, we must keep a clear course. No on 2 Yes on 3.

Unless the voters disagree with issue 3.

Many voters who support marijuana see Responsible Ohio as 'fat cat' opportunists taking advantage of desperate and lazy voters, IN THAT CASE they would have preferred to support this bill, The Ohio Medical Cannabis Amendment, that has been rejected for inconsistencies.

Why can't they just fix the deficiencies, have a lawyer write it up and be done with it?! Seems like too much "politicking" to me! SNAFU! JUST FIX IT!!

I find it hard to believe that members of this site would like to vote down Issue 3. The only reasoning I see is that person or groups planned to be king pins in the MJ growing world, yea I want to be rich too, I better buy a lottery ticket. What you really think the bruisers of this world are going to let you prance to the top. You know how long this plan has been set to roll. You been doing a grow and doing ok or better than ok, what is this change going to do to you ? Public does not like change, you for one reason, the others with other reasons. But don't blow smoke up my @$$ about how you are worried about monopolies. Why are you not on the picket line concerning Liquor in Ohio, certainly controlled by state, What about Cigarettes, no brand is allowed in the state unless state authorized, due to taxes and ability to pay them, many companies have been denied access to the states consumers due to politics. It would be nice to live in a fairly tail world but this is Ohio.
Vote No on 2 and Yes on 3

I find it hard to believe that members of this site would like to vote down Issue 3. The only reasoning I see is that person or groups planned to be king pins in the MJ growing world, yea I want to be rich too, I better buy a lottery ticket. What you really think the bruisers of this world are going to let you prance to the top. You know how long this plan has been set to roll. You been doing a grow and doing ok or better than ok, what is this change going to do to you ? Public does not like change, you for one reason, the others with other reasons. But don't blow smoke up my @$$ about how you are worried about monopolies. Why are you not on the picket line concerning Liquor in Ohio, certainly controlled by state, What about Cigarettes, no brand is allowed in the state unless state authorized, due to taxes and ability to pay them, many companies have been denied access to the states consumers due to politics. It would be nice to live in a fairly tail world but this is Ohio.
Vote No on 2 and Yes on 3
It is possible you don't know anything too. What you say is all speculation. Where did you get the idea that only certain brands are allowed in Ohio? ship the tobacco product to the bonded warehouse, pay the excise tax ( per stamp) and if there is a demand for your tobacco product, it will go to the retailers. There are an immeasurable variety of cigarettes and tobacco products available in Ohio, at all different prices. There is a minimum retail price on alcohol, but that is it. What are you talking about? Show me that regulation. In a free market, knowledge and innovation will rise to the top, not a monopoly allowing only Pabst beer at Heineken prices. In Minnesota, price for "medicine" is 560$ an ounce. Insurance no pay, so how much concern do you have for patients?What is a fairly tail world? Been trying to figure that out. Why are you so quick to surrender to corporate interests that do not have your interests in mind? If you don't believe me, google Ohio tobacco and you will see it is easy to enter the tobacco business in Ohio. The state has a business gateway on its website. So, again, what are you talking about? What do you really know about anything? You especially do not know my motivations or beliefs, so to subscribe your motivations to me is ridiculous beyond reason. All you know is what you know, which is not a lot about alcohol or tobacco regulations at all. You won't get rich buying lottery tickets. The odds of hitting a 2 number Keno ticket is 80x79 and for a dollar bet it pays 11$. The lottery payouts in Ohio are atrocious, compared to the odds.

Oh, I finally got it. You meant fairy tale world. That looks to me your only chance to get rich cause you sure as hell can't spell or is that speel? Hahahahaha. Put down the bong. YOU have not so many brain cells left. Don't impede them. At your 10$ an hour job, you can't afford too much of that 560$ an ounce weed, unless you still live in your folks basement at 28. Sorry about ur luck. Don't question my sincere free market objectives. I will win either way, believe me. I am just trying to save you a big shit pot full of your money, so you can get( or is it git?) your own place to live and move out of your folks basement.

I don't live in Ohio, but if I did, I'd definitely vote against Issue 3. Other states are legalizing without monopolies. Patience would produce a far better bill with everyone's best interests in mind. Issue 3 has been flawed from the get-go. It looks like it's going to pass regardless but it also looks like Issue 2 will pass. Good luck untangling that mess.

Hopefully Ohio residents will realize this is their chance to solve a 45 year injustice originating with President Nixon's signing the Controlled Substances Act into existence. Controlled Substances Act - Wikipedia

Any and all perceived deficiencies with the ResponsibleOhio initiative can be corrected after it passes. Getting it passed is the main thing and then fine tune its operation. Believing any suggestion that it would be better to wait for something better is a pipe dream. Ohioans have been waiting for the legislature to solve the problem for decades with responsible legislation but the legislature has turned a blind eye and a deaf ear to the cries of the majority of Ohioans who want marijuana reform.

Now is your time. Ohioans - stand up and be counted. Set an example the rest of the country can follow.

Ohioans who desire immediate marijuana reform who agree with my comments should vote as follows.

On Tuesday, November 3, 2015 vote YES for Ballot Issue 3.
On Tuesday, November 3, 2015 vote NO for Ballot Issue 2.

Tico, you are absolutely right about Nixon and Woodward's new revelations about Nixon and the increased bombing campaign to secure reelection show a side of Nixon we always knew. People's voices will be heard, and I am on the political solution. This is a long war we have to have a long view, like Gerry Adams and Sein Fein in Northern Ireland and island reunification. But that does not change fact that a bad deal is not the first deal we jump on. Desperation will cause you to lose sight of the real objective. You have right to your opinion, spend more time worrying about Alabama and leave Ohio to us Ohioans. Thank you. YES on Issue 3 yes on Issue 2. That way, peoples voices are heard but the johnny come lately opportunists lose it too. All objectives accomplished. I do agree with you that us innovative Ohioans can come up with a model for the country and avoid the problems already visible in Washington and Oregon and Michigan and Minnesota. We will solve it and your desperation is showing, so please keep your desperation to yourself.

And I do NOT understand what Tico means when he says any perceived deficiencies can be corrected after it passes. NO IT CANNOT the exact language you see will remain a part of our OHIO Constitution FOREVER. There is no " correction" after passage. I do not know why you keep saying that. This will become an article of the Ohio Constitution. Requiring a constitutional amendment. That is not a process we have done in a long long time. You think marijuana reform is difficult? Undoing this would be even more difficult. Please, Tico, just respond to my post of a few days ago and refute one single thing. Thank you. Do you think these opportunist hijackers would have put the money up if they understood it would be relatively easy to undo? The in perpetuity side is the side they think they are buying. I think they were taken by surprise by the slick move of Issue 2, which also shows the desperation of the other side also. But they have the losing position, and they know it. The public is being heard loud and clear.

Back
Top Bottom