GA: The Need For Medical Marijuana Derivatives

Robert Celt

Eight-year-old Aiden Whitley used to have seizures lasting 20 to 30 minutes about every two or three days. Now he only has one every month or so. And they only last a couple of minutes.

Before Christmas, Aiden would spend most of his time staring at walls. He was, as his mom Jillian Bramlett said, "just a zombie."

Aiden has the seizure disorder Dravet Syndrome and an autism diagnosis. The myriad of medicines he took made him drool and clumsy. He'd walk into walls, Jillian told one of our reporters.

Now, "he's like a normal kid. I didn't even know what to do," Jillian said.

So what happened to change Aiden from a zombie to a human?

He's now taking cannabidiol (CBD) and THC-A, medications derived from marijuana. He started on CBD in December, and THC-A about two months ago.

Let's make something crystal clear now. These medications aren't "pot" and they aren't going to get anyone taking them high.

CBD became legal for Georgians with six medical conditions in 2015. Bills that would have expanded the number of conditions that could be treated with CBD passed overwhelmingly in the state House this year. Those bill never came to a vote in the Senate.

And shame on those senators.

This newspaper has reported on other children like Aiden, all whom have benefited from taking these medications. Let's also make another thing crystal clear. These medications, although derived from marijuana, are a hell of a lot safer than the incredibly damaging drugs these kids were taking before. And, a lot more effective.

Just ask any of their parents.

Another problem is the difficulty in obtaining these life-changing medications. Currently, there is no legal way to obtain THC-A in Georgia.

As Jillian told our reporter, "as a parent, I shouldn't have to deal with that. He is taking a medication that has helped him ... I shouldn't have to go behind the back of the government to do what I have to do."

We agree.

It's time legislators and the governor step up and take care of one of the most important resources this state has - our children.

It is inexcusable that the state of Georgia continues to drag its feet on approving these medications for additional conditions and makes it so difficult for families to help their children obtain them.

Time to act.

THC-A.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: GA: The Need For Medical Marijuana Derivatives
Author: Staff
Photo Credit: None found

Back
Top Bottom