Medical Cannabis Activists Say Kansas Hemp Bill Would Help Very Few

Robert Celt

Medical marijuana advocates rallied at the statehouse Wednesday pushing lawmakers for change.

Those in support of hemp oil say the bill that still stands a chance in this legislative session isn't good enough. Kansas for Change leaders say the levels of THC that would be allowed are too low to really make a difference for most.

"With what they're hoping to pass right now I don't think there would be very much difference from products you can buy on the shelf from the health foods store right now," said Esau Freeman.

Freeman says he's is fed up with what lawmakers have done to a hemp oil bill originally written to help hundreds, but he believes will have a much smaller impact.

"Very few people, maybe 15 people in the state," said Freeman.

A Kansas Senate bill was recently reworked to include more than just those who suffer from seizures. It would allow 21-year-olds with cancer, Alzheimer's, Multiple Sclerosis and PTSD to receive hemp oil with 1-percent THC and children who suffer from seizures to be prescribed .3-percent.

Lawmakers who oppose more THC in cannabis oil say they're afraid people will abuse this form of medicine to get high.

"You would have to have the doctor's permission and there's still a lot of uncertainty for who would produce this product," said Freeman.

For 7-year-old Sofie Robles of Wichita, that level wouldn't be enough to decrease seizures that have taken away her ability to speak.

"It's hard, because I know that if I drive several hours to the west, I could get her the medicine that she needs, the strain that she needs and it would be in a medically supervised situation where I would have a doctor telling me to raise this and lower that," said Sofie's mother Tracy Robles.

Robles says research shows her daughter needs between 3 and 7-percent to decrease seizures.

"If they pass it, it be passing what we can already receive federally here," she said.

This bill was set to hit the Senate floor Wednesday, but it was not brought up in a short session.

Oil9.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Medical Cannabis Activists Say Kansas Hemp Bill Would Help Very Few
Author: Ben Jordan
Photo Credit: None found

Back
Top Bottom