CT: Access To Medical Marijuana For Children Gets Final OK

Robert Celt

Moved by the pleas of parents desperate to get relief for their seriously ill children, the Senate late Friday night gave final legislative approval to a bill that would allow minors to participate in the state's medical marijuana program.

"I believe people would be hard-pressed to listen to that testimony in person and not be sympathetic – not only to the children, but to the angst of the parents based on what their children have to endure," said Sen. Eric Coleman, a Democrat from Bloomfield. "Parents shouldn't have to choose between breaking the law and being branded as criminals in Connecticut, or not doing what they need to do to provide relief for their children."

Sen. Steve Cassano, D-Manchester, also backed the measure, saying it was about medication that had the power to improve the quality of a sick child's life, not legalizing pot. The proposal passed by a vote of 23 to 11 and now moves to the desk of Gov. Dannel P. Malloy, who supports it.

The nearly four hour debate was dominated by Sen. Toni Boucher, a Wilton Republican who has waged an often lonely crusade against looser marijuana laws. Boucher filed 25 amendments in a failed quest to derail the legislation.

"You're all aware of my deep concern with any proposal to permit the use of marijuana for medical or recreational purposes, " Boucher said. "My opposition can only deepen when the intended recipients of these drugs are children."

Boucher said she has endured intense criticism, and even death threats, for her anti-marijuana stance. But she said she is motivated by the memories of acquaintances, friends and a beloved niece who lost their lives to addiction.

"When I think about what we're doing to our children, it drains me emotionally,'' Boucher said. "I can't think of another bill that would harm our children more by allowing them the use of mind-damaging substances to treat an illness, that hasn't been proven, that's still experimental."

Supporters of the legislation said the potential risks of marijuana use are significantly outweighed by the medication's benefits.

"Scientists are recognizing that marijuana has very good medical properties,'' said Sen. Terry Gerratana, co-chairwoman of the legislature's public health committee. The New Britain Democrat said the use of marijuana will be tightly regulated; its use restricted to children with serious conditions, including severe epilepsy, cystic fibrosis, cerebral palsy, a form of irreversible spinal cord injury and terminal illnesses requiring end of life care.

"We're not talking about smoking marijuana, we're not talking about inhaling it, or vaping it," Gerratana said. Instead, the medication would be delivered through a topical oil.

Sen. Joe Markley, R-Southington, said the current crisis of opioid abuse brought on by abuse of prescription painkillers illustrates the hazards of less restrictive drug laws. "Something we [did] for a very good reason, to help a category of people who are very much in need, has led to some alarming consequences,'' he said. "I think we have to keep in mind what the downside is of this kind of expansion. ... With great sympathy to those who have come to us to ask for this bill, I will oppose it."

The measure has proven controversial in the past; it failed to win approval last year. But lawmakers and advocates continued to work on the proposal after the legislative session was over and earlier this year, they secured the support of the state chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics.

Connecticut has permitted seriously ill adults to obtain medical marijuana since 2014. But children are prohibited from legally obtaining the drug, which has driven some parents to other states so their sick children can get the medicine.

Experts testified that about 100 children would be affected by the law.

CBD_Hemp_Oil.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: CT: Access To Medical Marijuana For Children Gets Final OK
Author: Daniela Altimari
Photo Credit: None found

Back
Top Bottom