High Desert Cannabis Summit Focuses On Going From Movement To Industry

Katelyn Baker

Hesperia, California - Army veteran and amputee Jose Martinez received a standing ovation after he shared how medical cannabis relieved his pain and calmed his mind after he stepped on an IED in Afghanistan four years ago.

Martinez joined several cannabis professionals who spoke at the inaugural High Desert Cannabis Industry Summit on Thursday night at the Courtyard by Marriott in Hesperia.

"I almost killed myself three times and eight of my veteran friends have already taken their lives," said Martinez, 28, as he stood on his prosthetic legs and motioned with a portion of his amputated right arm. "Despite the phantom pains, cannabis has me settled down and completely OK."

The hotel's conference room was nearly full for the almost four-hour event where civic, business, nonprofit and religious leaders came to learn more about the nearly $17 billion a year industry and how people's lives have been affected by using medical cannabis.

The summit was presented by the High Desert Cannabis Association and the group's spokesman, businessman Manny Serrano, was the emcee who energized the crowd by telling them the High Desert could be one of the leading cannabis business areas in the nation, much like Silicon Valley is to the technology industry.

"Let's work together to build the highway of prosperity," Serrano said. "This is an opportunity and we must embrace it."

Adelanto Mayor Rich Kerr, Apple Valley Mayor Barb Stanton and Hesperia Mayor Pro Tem Paul Russ were in attendance, along Geoff Hinds, CEO of the High Desert Event Center, and several chamber of commerce members from local cities.

Many attendees told the Daily Press they were at the summit to get information on how cannabis could help a friend or family member who was ill.

With several fellow Council members sitting nearby, Kerr told the audience he was once dead set against allowing any type of marijuana activity in the city.

Kerr said with the help of groups like the HDCA and the Stanley brothers who developed the CBD-infused "Charlotte's Web" oil, the Adelanto City Council educated themselves on every aspect of the cannabis industry before embracing it.

Kerr said his change of mind on accepting cannabis came when his 9-year-old grandson, who was diagnosed with Type-1 diabetes at the age of 3, cut his insulin use in half in 90 days after he began taking CDB oil.

"We allowed medical marijuana cultivation and manufacturing as of last night in the city of Adelanto," said Kerr, a retired Marine. "We will be discussing in the next 30 days distribution, sales, transportation and testing."

Kerr said the Council was going to allow for cultivation only, but decided later to pursue the full processing of cannabis, adding "if we're going to do it, we're going to do it all. And we're going to do it the right way."

Attorney Pamela Epstein, founder of Green Wise Consulting, told the audience she became acquainted with the HDCA while she was working to help the city of Temecula move away from a full ban on medical marijuana.

"The cannabis issue started as a movement and is moving into an industry," Epstein said. "That is a really unique time because we are trying to infuse a level of not only self-assuredness as an industry, but also of self-policing."

Epstein said the marijuana industry is not just those that "touch the plant," but it involves a broad spectrum of people. She added that groups like the HDCA want to work to remove the stigma of cannabis use, and bring the movement into an industry.

"The High Desert Cannabis Association is working with the city of Hesperia by helping them with regulation so they can identify the bad operators," Epstein said. "Adelanto has figured out what was best for their city and Mayor Barb Stanton is working with (Apple Valley) to see what works best for them."

Many in the audience wept as businessman Ray Mirzabegian displayed a video of his daughter, Emily, as she suffering through a severe and lengthy seizure, one of nearly 120 daily episodes she endured before taking "Charlotte's Web" CBD oil.

After failing with over 13 medication and countless treatments, and once being place in an induced coma, Mirzabegian found hope for Emily after watching a documentary about 5-year-old Charlotte Figi, whose severe seizures were dramatically reduced by a special marijuana strain that was later created by the Stanley brothers of Colorado about four years ago.

The brothers called the special strain "Charlotte's Web" after Figi. The strain contains high amounts of the cannabidiol compound, but very little THC, the driving force behind cannabis intoxication.

"Emily started having seizures at 5-months old, right after a vaccination. She wasn't able to speak or walk or communicate – we were losing our child," Mirzabegian said. "After seeing eight neurologists, one took me aside and told me to enjoy my daughter as much as you can because it doesn't look good."

Joel Stanley was present at the summit when Mirzabegian shared how Emily was the first child in California to consume "Charlotte's Web," with the physical results coming immediate as her seizures were reduced by 50 percent. After four years, Emily has come off all medication and experiences one seizure a week.

"Today at age 12, she walks, she runs, she jumps, she goes to school, she plays and she's a happy child," Mirzabegian said. "And I'm here to tell you that she talks much more than before. The Stanley brother's strain of cannabis saved my daughter's life."

Mirzabegian, the executive director of Realm of Caring California,who was recently appointed as board chair for the HDCA, said he and Dr. Bonnie Goldstein began traveling the state to educate people in the science of cannabis and how it might help their children.

As the only distributor of Charlotte's Web in California, Mirzabegian has consulted with over a 1,000 families desperate for a cure for their ill children. The businessman met with the Daily Press earlier this year and met with several families who began CDB treatment.

"Today happens to be Dravet Syndrome Awareness Day and I'm here with the best chance to raise awareness of a condition that struck my daughter," Mirzabegian said. "Emily and many children have received many benefits from taking cannabis oil, and that is why I spread the message of this life-saving cure."

"I would really like to see the state regulations really come down so the industry knows what the guardrails are," Joel Stanley told the Daily Press. "Hopefully they will be responsible, yet allow for a thriving industry. If they are too tight, too strict and too over-burdensome, then it will be difficult for the industry."

Stanley, Epstein and several cannabis leaders told the paper they were encouraged by the summit, which included many government leaders, something they've rarely seen.

During the meeting, Goldstein explained the many possible health benefits of consuming the proper strain of cannabis, including sleep problems, genetic disorders, advanced cancer, leukemia, glaucoma, autoimmune disease, epilepsy and other maladies.

She also remarked that she doesn't understand why many physicians don't recommend cannabis instead of throwing several types of medication at patients with no positive results.

"When I worked the emergency room in the middle of the night in East L.A., the kids that I saw coming in were intoxicated with alcohol or prescription drugs, both very much legal," Goldstein said. "In my 15 years, I saw one 15-year-old boy who called 911 because he smoked too much cannabis. He came in, his heart was racing because of anxiety. We calmed him down and the worse thing that happened is that I called his mother."

Nathan Winokur, of SC Labs, explained how his facility was one of the first institutions to promote cannabis safety through education, testing, and certification. He added that as members of the cannabis community, they have a shared interest in guaranteeing the safety and quality of all products.

Stanton closed the meeting by telling the group "we are making history." She encouraged everyone to think about the future and the "people in front of this industry."

"As an elected official and two-time mayor of the Town of Apple Valley, I can tell you that the climate with the majority of my colleagues is deny, deny, deny, and it really is unacceptable," Stanton said. "I respect everyone's views because that's the right thing to do. But I just don't get it when statistics tell us it's working. My colleagues in Adelanto - I applaud them."

Stanton said she was excited to hear that the campaign to support the Adult Use of Marijuana Act, which will appear on the November statewide ballot in California, has received the official endorsement of the California Democratic Party.

"We're fighting tonight for what is already legal, so let's stay together and spread the message," Stanton said. "In my town, I will continue to be an advocate for legalization. I will stand strong with you."

vet.PNG

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: High Desert Cannabis Summit Focuses On Going From Movement To Industry
Author: Rene Ray De La Cruz
Photo Credit: None Found

Back
Top Bottom