Marijuana Ballot Question Showcases Cambridge Candidates' Differences

Katelyn Baker

Cambridge

The two democratic candidates vying for the state representative seat in the 26th Middlesex District have similar views, often agreeing on the major issues, but in a debate at CCTV on July 21, the candidates argued and disagreed on the legalization of marijuana.

Longtime incumbent, Tim Toomey, opposes the ballot question, which would regulate marijuana like alcohol, saying, "I don't think this state is ready."

Toomey, who has been a member of the state House of Representatives since 1993 and is a current Cambridge city councilor, said there are too many unknown factors in how legalization impacts a community.

He cited the lack of knowledge about when someone under the influence of marijuana is impaired when operating a motor vehicle.

"I am really concerned with something of that magnitude," he said.

Toomey said he supported the decriminalization of possessing one ounce or less of marijuana and is a strong proponent of medical marijuana dispensaries in Cambridge.

Alternatively, Mike Connolly, Cambridge resident and lawyer, said he supports ballot Question No. 4 to legalize marijuana and will vote "yes" on Election Day because he believes the war on drugs has failed.

"I see a continued regime of prohibition as just getting in the way of a goal that we all agree on, which is addressing the heroin and opioid epidemic," he said.

With the revenue generated from the regulation of marijuana, Connolly said he hopes that money will be put toward better treatment options for addicts and toward better public housing.

"We can put that [revenue] into housing because one of the pernicious issues we are aware of is that when you are trying to overcome heroin addiction. If you are living under a bridge, your chances of doing that are not good," he said.

Toomey believes regulating marijuana will send the "wrong message" to youth as the opioid and heroin epidemic still plagues the community.

"I just don't think it is a wise thing that we should be encouraging," Toomey said. "I am just not comfortable, and it is inappropriate at this time."

Connolly, however, said the regulation will help the younger generation because it will be more difficult to find and obtain.

"When you take marijuana out of the shadows, out of the black market, I believe it actually makes it harder for the youth to find it, similar to alcohol and tobacco. [Currently] it is easier for them to find [marijuana] from the drug dealer than it is for them to walk into the store and buy alcohol," he said.

The issue will be on the ballot for the Tuesday, Nov. 8 election.

mikeconnoly.PNG

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Marijuana Ballot Question Showcases Cambridge Candidates' Differences
Author: Kimberly Burnett
Photo Credit: Kimberly Burnett

Back
Top Bottom