CT: Blue Point Medical Marijuana Dispensary Moving To Former Bank

Katelyn Baker

Branford's first medical marijuana dispensary, in business for two years, is relocating to a larger space next door. Blue Point Apothecary LLC will move from a space at the back of Planet Fitness to occupy the first floor of the stand-alone building last occupied by Santander Bank, at 471 East Main St.

On Sept. 15, Branford's Planning and Zoning Commission (PZC) unanimously approved an application for an interior fit-up from Blue Point Apothecary LLC owner and pharmacist Nick Tamborino. Tamborino said the single largest motivating factor in his decision to make the move is Connecticut's new law allowing medical marijuana to be dispensed for pediatric use. The law goes into effect October 1, 2016.

"We've been operating successfully for the past two years in Branford," Tamborino told the PZC. "Starting October 1, the state of Connecticut is allowing pediatric use for medical cannabis, which was a big push for me to really find a different location. It's very important to me to keep the pediatric population separate from the adult population, and that's one of the main reasons why I'm proposing the move."

Tamborino described Blue Point's operation as similar to a medical office; providing patient therapy management services including dispensing of medical marijuana to patients with state-approved debilitating conditions. He noted Connecticut was the first state to require licensed pharmacists to dispense medical marijuana. Unlike some other states, such as Colorado and California, Connecticut also requires "...a very unique practice setting for pharmacists and pharmacy technicians," said Tamborino.

Patients are required to make monthly appointment where they receive counseling services and obtain monthly medical supply.

The PZC also heard input from just one resident, Jacey Wyatt. Wyatt asked Tamborino whether leaving his current space at 469 East Main Street would cause a hardship to the owner, as Tamborino made significant changes to the space to accommodate state regulations. Wyatt also asked whether moving into a former bank building is benefits this type of business, and if Blue Point has the support of the second floor tenants in the building at 471 East Main.

"The current location now, after the fit I provided, it's more desirable, I believe," answered Tamborino. "We did a lot of building out (so) the facility definitely has the 'wow' factor. I put a lot of effort into it. I think it's more marketable."

Tamborino said the tenant on the second floor at 471 East Main is the building owner, an attorney, who supports Blue Point's move.

As for moving a medical marijuana dispensary into a former bank building,"...from a security standpoint, it's a safer place," said Tamborino. "I feel it's more comforting to me. Obviously, we will be using the vault. It's a requirement by the state (to) have everything locked up in a secure location, such as a safe or vault."

PZC commissioner Marci Palluzzi asked about the types of patient conditions medical marijuana assists.

"We have cancer patients looking to find relief from side effects of their chemotherapy regime. We have patients that have cancer, that it can actually treat the cancer. One patient's brain tumor actually shrunk since she began using the cannabis," said Tamborino. "We have a lot of spinal cord injury patients that are looking to get off their prescription opiates."

PZC chairman Chuck Andres asked Tamborino about any complaints or problems encountered in the past two years.

"A little less than a year ago, at about 9 p.m. we had someone break in, and made it to the waiting room and exited. That was the only incident," Tamborino answered.

Town Planner Harry Smith said he routed the application through town departments including Branford Police and received no negative comments or problems concerning the business. He also said no complaints have been received by the town's Planning and Zoning office.

"It's been problem-free, as far as we know," said Smith.

Assistant Town Planner Rich Stoecker prepared the staff report and reported the town received a letter of support from the building owner.

"We have a track record for this type of use next to the current location, which is only 40 feet away across the parking lot," said Stoecker. "Basically, it's a tenant fit up to the old Santander Bank on the first floor, so it can take the bank space."

Stoecker said the building owner agreed to conditions required for approval; including no additional signage or new or replacement exterior lighting without approval, adding five trees to the streetscape within the next three years, bringing existing outdoor lighting into current code compliance and examination of existing drainage system for any necessary repairs.

Capture86.PNG

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Blue Point Medical Marijuana Dispensary Moving To Former Bank
Author: Pam Johnson
Photo Credit: Pam Johnson

Back
Top Bottom