Mario Chalmers, Darrell Arthur Caught With Marijuana

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Former Kansas basketball players Mario Chalmers and Darrell Arthur were kicked out of the NBA's rookie transition program on Wednesday after being caught in their hotel room with marijuana and women, sources told ESPN The Magazine.

"They were sent home for violating program rules," NBA spokesman Brian McIntyre told the magazine.

Neither Chalmers nor Arthur returned calls by The Kansas City Star to their cellphones seeking comment. KU coach Bill Self, who saw both players leave his program early after they helped the Jayhawks to the 2008 national championship, issued a statement.

"I certainly would never comment publicly on any personal matter concerning any player I have ever coached," Self said. "Beyond that, I can say that both Mario and Darrell were great to coach. They played a huge role in our success the past few years, in large part due to their unselfishness and the sacrifices they made for our program."

Both players were instrumental in KU's run to the NCAA championship. Chalmers, of course, hit the three-pointer that sent the title game against Memphis to overtime, while Arthur had 20 points and 10 rebounds in the victory.

Sources told the magazine that Chalmers, a Miami Heat point guard, and Arthur, a Memphis Grizzlies forward, had been fined $20,000 apiece and might begin the season on the league's suspended list.

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: The Seattle Times
Copyright: 2008 The Seattle Times Company
Website: Mario Chalmers, Darrell Arthur caught with marijuana

Back
Top Bottom