Brand new to 420 and growing

Caper92

Hey everyone. I wanted to start off by telling you how happy I was to find this site. There is so much information. I am a new grower from Canada. I really jumped into my first grow blind. I was so excited to start I never bothered to read up on anything. My plants have been growing for a month now and I decided to smarten up and start reading. Even in a few days reading posts here I have learned so much. So thank you all for that. I have a couple questions for you. I'm using a 180 watt full spectrum LED and I dont know how high to set the light. I have it at 2 feet now and my plants seem fine. And i have not used any fertilizer. I am growing in pro mix potting mix. It says it uses a controlled release fertilizer that provides nutrients for 9 months. Will I need to use a seperate fertilizer? All I have given my plants is light and water so far. So any suggestions are welcome. Thanks everyone! :peace:

Welcome to :420: Caper92.

You'll find many answers and helpful folks on this site. I'd like to suggest starting a grow journal here. That is the best way to get involved in the community and to share knowledge.

As far as your LED light distance from the top of your canopy, you'll have to check with the manufacturer. LED lights have many variables that make them all different as far as optimum distance goes. The easiest way to find out is to contact the company that sold it to you.

I'm sorry but I cannot answer your soil question. I'm unfamiliar with that type of soil.

:Namaste:

Ok thanks drcannabi. And I bought the soil at wal-mart. Maybe not the best choice. This is what it consists of Canadian sphagnum peat moss, coir (coconut fiber), perlite, limestone, controlled release fertilizer and Mycoactive organic growth enhancer (mycorrhizar).

Ok thanks drcannabi. And I bought the soil at wal-mart. Maybe not the best choice. This is what it consists of Canadian sphagnum peat moss, coir (coconut fiber), perlite, limestone, controlled release fertilizer and Mycoactive organic growth enhancer (mycorrhizar).

Hi Caper,

I've seen this type of soil before on this and other forums. I'm no expert myself. Most of the ingredients look like regular mmj soil ingredients. That is up until you get to "controlled release fertilizer". What you want with mmj is to be able to flush it in the last couple weeks of flower. Most soils worth their weight will list all ingredients separately. The problem with time released fertilizers (as I understand it) is that there may be substances maybe even chemicals that can't be flushed out of the plant. You don't want to smoke or ingest those.

However, growing in that medium should work great. It looks like good ingredients except for the fertilizer. And that might be fine too. There's just no way of telling unless you can get the full ingredients list from the manufacturer. I'm not saying you should throw it out. I'm just saying there is a lot to it and I'm no expert.

I'd definitely start a journal. There are people here that can answer your question much better than me.

:Namaste:

Hey buddy good to hear you started growing. I think 20-30in is fine until you figure out the best distance...maybe even try a bit closer. Not sure about pro mix soil but I think its mostly peat moss & if thats the case I would start adding nutes 3-4wks from sprout. Use only good nutes for cannabis though & start with 1/4 of the recommended intake. Also make sure the PH is right so get a meter etc. Good luck

:welcome: Caper92! This is the number one site on the web for cannabis awareness. I recommend to everyone that they consider starting a grow journal. A journal allows our experienced growers to find your grow and offer assistance. Also, there are some links below in my signature that you may find of use. Good Luck. :peace:

Hey everyone. I wanted to start off by telling you how happy I was to find this site. There is so much information. I am a new grower from Canada. I really jumped into my first grow blind. I was so excited to start I never bothered to read up on anything. My plants have been growing for a month now and I decided to smarten up and start reading. Even in a few days reading posts here I have learned so much. So thank you all for that. I have a couple questions for you. I'm using a 180 watt full spectrum LED and I dont know how high to set the light. I have it at 2 feet now and my plants seem fine. And i have not used any fertilizer. I am growing in pro mix potting mix. It says it uses a controlled release fertilizer that provides nutrients for 9 months. Will I need to use a seperate fertilizer? All I have given my plants is light and water so far. So any suggestions are welcome. Thanks everyone! :peace:

Ok thanks for the help everyone. Sounds like I need to start a journal and get some nutes. What do you guys suggest for nutes for soil? Id like to have something organic. I hear earth juice is good but they have so many products I dont know which one I need.

G'day caper92

there is a few Canadians on board here,welcome.

earth juice is pretty good,I have used it,but currently dont.

your first instrument should be a decent quality ph pen.

start reading and reading and reading.

G'day caper92

there is a few Canadians on board here,welcome.

earth juice is pretty good,I have used it,but currently dont.

your first instrument should be a decent quality ph pen.

start reading and reading and reading.

Alright thanks. Just orderes a PH meter and some ph up and down.

Earth juice is a good product I used a while back growing for my mother also I recommend fox farm they're a great product also but your gonna have to get more than one product from earth juice or any of the nuts co. U will need a veg which is called grow usually then u need a bloom nute also for flowering u can get by with that but most use a lot more micro bloom enhancers root stimulators all that good stuff but its up to u what u use good luck

nutes_002.JPG
great stuff off amazon they do fro coco .hydro and soil. your soil is fully loaded though. so i would only start to feed at 3-4 weeks in flower. your plants will show signs when they need nutes..in the past when i have use soil like yours i only give a boost of pk14-15 in week 5 of flower. did the trick. until i saw the light.now hydro all the way .happyadys

Back
Top Bottom