New member and grower from South Africa

Fobz03

Hello fellow members. I'm a new member and grower. I'm very eager to learn as much as I can about growing my beloved plant. I'm just about to do my first harvest ever. My first grow started a bit late in the season and grew out doors. This frustrated me as I wanted to see results so I have built myself a grow room 3 ft x 3 ft x 4 ft high. Going to use 11 x 20 watt 6500k cfl 's and 4 x 14 watt 2700k cfl's that you get from your local hardware store is this sufficient for this size grow room?

20150718_130302.jpg

IMG-20150718-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20150718-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20150718-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20150718-WA0001.jpg
20150716_161103.jpg
a couple pics of my first grow ever and my new grow room set up. I would like any constructive criticism to improve on my growing. Thanks

Pleasure to have you fobz03! Welcome to 420 Magazine!:tokin:

First I would like to say congratulations on your first harvest! Looking nice :)

I like your setup but would like to make a few suggestions. A good rule of thumb is to go with 5,000 Lumens per sq ft. Direct outside daylight in the summertime averages somewhere in the neighbourhood of 10,000 foot candles. This is equal to 10,000 lumens per square foot. I've done the calculations for you. Based on your 3X3 grow room you have 9 sq ft. With that being said you want to divide 9 into the total amount of lumens your bulbs are producing. I estimated your total amount of lumens to be 17,000. So 17,000/9 = 1888 lumen per sq ft. (Some bulbs list the amount of lumens on the side of the bulb)

I think you have plenty of lumens for right now and would suggest taking 5 bulbs and placing them on the sides of your grow room for supplemental lighting. Hope this helps! Glad to have you here, you should make a journal!

Thanks legal good to be here and really appreciate the suggestions, I'll get right on it with adding side lights. I'm happy with my first attempt considering the set up issues i had as it was a spur of the moment thing so wasn't really prepared for the grow at all and started quite late in the summer (last month and a half of summer) plus as I was growing on my balcony getting enough sunlight was a major issue this frustrated me therefore inspired me to make a grow box so I can control this. Want to eventually be a master grower :thumb:

hi Fobz, also a new member here from sunny south africa, also busy with my first cfl veg to harvest grow, very similar setup as well, running a slightly smaller box tho with a single 85w cool for veg and 8 x 20w warm and cool for flower, havent started to flower yet but have just started to clone, i see your scrogging? do you have any experience with it? i cannot decide between scrog or sog.....any advice would be appreciated... still figuring out the pic upload system but will upload pics asap

Back
Top Bottom