Hi welcome to 420!!

PureGreen, I think you've made a great decision coming to the magazine.

It's amazing what can be done with a CFL. They are cheap, effective and manageable. Great place to start.

I would suggest using a few of them as you progress through the vegetation stage. One will suffice for the first couple weeks. But, then you'll want at least 6-8 of them as you finish off. (depending on the size, could be more could be a couple less)

But let me assure you, this website is filled with great people and great information. Don't hesitate to ask questions and do a little reading.

Prepare for your life to get turned upside down, PureGreen. :)

All the best to you my Friend!

Thanks pigeons420, I have read loads on here and everyone seems to be here to help and learn from each other, that's why I joined and I am glad I have. I have watched hours of youtube vids but thought this would be a better place to learn. My tent is only small 60cmx60cmx140cm and the 300w cfl with the shade covers nearly from one end to the other, when you said to add more was you meaning the smaller cfl's. I have also got a 4 inch rhino twin speed fan and a rhino pro filter with acoustic ducting, do you think that will be more than enough for my size tent. I got given some canna terra professional soil mix (unopened bag) and 4 new 3 gallon fabric pots and will be growing some fem AK-47 or Critical Jack from seed but not sure how many I will fit in my tent, was thinking between 2-4 plants. Also any advice on nutes would be a bonus. I will be starting my grow next month and will be doing a journal on here.
By the way

Sounds like you have a great concept of what you want to get done. And that's a great place to start!

For more supplemental lighting you'll want to add some lights to the sides of the plant as well as the top. You'll be fine with what you have for the first few weeks of veg. So, it's no rush.

The fan seems likes it all be big enough. But what's the CFM on it? Cubic Feet per Minute?

The 3 gallon fabric pots are nice. There a bit small but will probably fit your tent perfectly! I think you could fit 2 comfortably. But really anything can be done if your willing to train them. But I don't suggest it as a first grow.

Nutrients can be a sticky game. I spent 400$ on my line of nutrients. But you could get away with spending 40$ and getting similar results.
I use Green Planet Nutrients and you could get away with a couple jugs from them. The Grow A and B and the Bloom A and B. But do a little research online to determine which you would like.

Let's get it rockin!

Thanks again for the advice Pigeon420, the cfm for my fan is 180m3/hour on low speed and upto 245m3/hour on the high speed. I have been researching for nutes and think I might try either the flora grow,bloom and micro range or the biobizz grow,bloom and max and probably add some cal mag as well. I know I am a newbie at this but I have seen alot about topping and LST, would you advise doing this on a first grow or just let the girls grow how they want, obviously I may have a height issue if I just left them. Not sure if I am over thinking things:thumb:

You're welcome!

I'm getting lost in the conversion of the fan. (My own ignorance).

The flora series is a great place to start! I know a few growers that use it and have great results. Even without the addition CalMag. :thumb:

In all honesty, now that I've thought about it, you'll probably only fit one girl in there. If you pop over to my journal you'll see how big a full grown non-trained and trained plant can get. I've got each going right now.

And please believe me, at this stage, you can't over think things. You rather do that now and now half way through when you've run into space issues. Or any issues

Cheers

Hi Pigeon420, thanks for the advice so far, just read your journal :goodjob: and hopefully one day in the future I will grow some top bud (hopefully). You doing a great job and just reading your journal and looking at the pics got me excited to start my own))) I will be starting mine end of August as I am taking my kids on holiday for 2 weeks. I got my tent set up and tried everything, all seems to be working fine but there is one question, when my tent is closed and the fan is on should the tent suck in like it is being squeezed in, I only had the extraction fan on the lowest setting!!! I got my seeds today all female x12 hollands hope, x6 afgan skunk, x6 OG kush, x6 critical jack and also got some auto's x6 Ed Rosenthal, x6 white widow all from a seed bank called suzyseeds. A friend recommended the seed bank, he has ordered from their for over a year and every seed has been what it said it would be and all have germinated with great results. Have you any advice on which seed to start with? I was thinking going with the hollands hope, its 80% indica 20% sativa, medium in yield and height and has a easy grow rating, or should I go with 1 of the auto's just to get my first grow done!!!
Can't wait to get started!!!! Thank you again my friend and congrats with the wedding:thumb:

Thanks Pure!

I'm flattered you took a stroll through my garden. You're always welcome!

The tent getting squeezed in is quite common. Especially, with the more affordable models. I would suggest trying to fabricate some kind of supports for the sides. It's not a fun problem to have but it's fixable.

You have a great selection of seeds there Pure! I'm excited for you! If you're thinking about the Hollands, I say do it! I've never heard of it so maybe I'm picking it for selfish reasons. (I like to grow strains I'm not familiar with).

Autos are relatively easy to grow and they do their own thing. They won't get too big so maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to run one or two of those to start in your tent.

So many choices! Totally awesome! We'll get it figured out, my man!

Thanks Pigeon, I am preparing a room for my future garden but its going to take me a while to but everything I need for it with the cost of everything,eventually I am looking to have a perpetual garden in a year or 2, plus I thought it would be best to just start small with 1 or 2 plants and get a few grows with different strains under my belt then the fun will really start. I think I will go straight for the Hollands hope, just 1 girl so I can see how things go, I copied the info for her for you to see, hope you don't mind, so here it is

Seed Type Feminized
Sativa (%) 20
Indica (%) 80
Grow Time 8 weeks (not sure on this, probably looking at 10 - 12 weeks)
Type Indoor & Outdoor
Difficult-Easy
Yield-Medium
Height-Medium
Effect -Euphoric, Giggly, Hungry
Medical Effect-Anxiety, Pain, Stress
Origin & Popularity - Hollands Hope 2.0 is a cross between Afghan and Dutch Skunk, which has fully adapted to the wet and cold Dutch climate. Hollands Hope 2.0 owes its name to the fact that it can even fully flower and produce excellent results in a wet and changeable summer, thereby giving hope to Dutch outdoor growers. This is why it's also called the 'golden nugget'. Hollands Hope is a strong and reliable mould resistant plant, 80% Indica and 20% Sativa.
Production Hollands Hope 2.0 is one of the first cannabis strains developed for outdoor cultivation in the difficult and changeable Dutch climate. It can be grown both indoors and outdoors, but for an optimum crop I grow it outdoors; there’s a reason it’s called Hollands Hope! It is an easy strain to grow and has a good yield and a shorter flowering period (50 to 60 days). It can already be harvested in September. The plant itself remains fairly compact, but it produces solid, heavy buds. Hollands Hope 2.0 has light green leaves that contrast with the relatively dark peaks, which makes for a beautiful plant! Beware, over-fertilisation of Hollands Hope can encourage excessive leaf growth and reduce production.
Character & Flavour - In the flowering stage Hollands Hope spreads a sweet lemon scent you can surely taste when you smoke the buds. After smoking you will be rewarded with a high buzzy feeling that lasts several hours. It makes me happy and giggly. If I have foreign friends over, I always treat them to the wonderful Hollands Hope. I get nothing but positive comments on this typical Dutch cannabis which we can be proud of. Hollands Hope 2.0 is also popular among medicinal users; it helps treat stress, pain and anxiety.
Features - Is highly resistant to the Dutch climate Long-lasting sturdy effect.

Thanks again for letting me look through your garden, it was just so inspiring:thumb:

Sounds like she's a great strain to start with!

I don't think you'll have a problem at all going perpetual in a year. I did it in about 6 months. And I'm so happy I did. (So is my wallet)
Good idea running one girl for now. My first grow was a single plant. I harvested almost 7 ounces off of her and she laid the path for so much knowledge because I learned sooooooo much stuff. So, I think you've made the right choice!

Hi again pigeons)))
Sorry to keep bothering you when I have not even started my grow yet but I was wondering if you have any idea about led lights, I can get a mars hydro 300w 60pcs*5watt for £70. I have read some reviews about led, some good and some bad, was just wondering what your thoughts are on led as I don't want to spend money if there not that good. I am only considering the led as there will be less heat to worry about, better lighting and it is a lot cheaper on my electric bill. I will be starting my grow on 24th of this month when I get back from holiday with the kids. Thanks in advance:thumb:

You're no bother Pure!

That's a bit of a loaded question. I'm not an LED guy myself. But I know plenty of growers that do use LED and I know a few that use the Mars hydro and love it!

I think it's a good price and you'll probably get exactly what you need out of it. So I say go for it!

Have a great Holiday!!!

Hi pigeons, how you all doing? I'm good, me and my kids had a great holiday thanks:)))
I decided to go with x2 critical jack auto's first and after this grow I will be doing the hollands hope 2.0
I have started a journal today, my girls popped through the soil on Friday so I will be counting this as day 3 in seedling stage. I am growing in 3 gallon fabric pots with canna terra professional mix soil and thought I would try green planets medi-one and massive nutes (trying to go organic as much as I can)
Anyways hope your weekend is going ok and hopefully you will take a look at my journal. Any advice is much appreciated!!!

Wow I'm excited to hear that you've chosen the Medi one feed guide. I think you'll love it!!

Let me know where your journal is so I can follow. I am very curious to watch the Medi one in action!!

Post a link to your journal here

Thanks Pigeons)))
I am not sure about how to post a link but it is in journals in progress with the title - Pures first ever grow, Critical Jack Auto, Organic soil and Green Planet nutes. I only started the journal this morning and I will be putting some photo's of my set up and the girls on here tonight. I wasn't sure about using medi-one and massive nutes as I could not find out much about them but from what I could find out they are both meant to be good. Looking forward to seeing how they go and gaining some knowledge along the way:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom