Complete Newbie - Saying hello and asking for opinions!

cbaumann

Hey there!

I am totally new to the forum and to growing. I signed up because the interwebs is full of waaayyyyy too much information from a whole lot of people who know ... nothing about everything -_-

I'm guessing the rest of my post will belong somewhere else, but I'm going to type it anyway ;)

For my very first grow experience, I chose autos. I have a six week-old Pyramid: Auto Pyramid and a 2 week -old Vision: Northern Lights.

I expected the growth of the Auto Pyramid to be a little more than what I have, so I'm wondering if I very simply am not giving it enough light. It looks healthy, it's just not growing at the rate I thought it would.

I have been using a 27W LED bulb (not sure how many *real* watts that is) directly over the plant and I'm thinking it's either A). Not enough lumens or B). I've not introduced any nutes yet. I'm just hoping someone can verify one or the other. I run it on 24/0, maybe I need to up the wattage and 20/4 or 18/6? I don't think you're *supposed* to change autos through their growth cycle, but I want her to be all she can be! If it's the nutes, then I'll get them asap, especially for the 2 week-old.

As soon as I figure out how to add pics, I'll do that, lolololol. :D

Any info is appreciated and I'm excited to be a part of the community! :)

-Coreen

Hey there!

I am totally new to the forum and to growing. I signed up because the interwebs is full of waaayyyyy too much information from a whole lot of people who know ... nothing about everything -_-

I'm guessing the rest of my post will belong somewhere else, but I'm going to type it anyway ;)

For my very first grow experience, I chose autos. I have a six week-old Pyramid: Auto Pyramid and a 2 week -old Vision: Northern Lights.

I expected the growth of the Auto Pyramid to be a little more than what I have, so I'm wondering if I very simply am not giving it enough light. It looks healthy, it's just not growing at the rate I thought it would.

I have been using a 27W LED bulb (not sure how many *real* watts that is) directly over the plant and I'm thinking it's either A). Not enough lumens or B). I've not introduced any nutes yet. I'm just hoping someone can verify one or the other. I run it on 24/0, maybe I need to up the wattage and 20/4 or 18/6? I don't think you're *supposed* to change autos through their growth cycle, but I want her to be all she can be! If it's the nutes, then I'll get them asap, especially for the 2 week-old.

As soon as I figure out how to add pics, I'll do that, lolololol. :D

Any info is appreciated and I'm excited to be a part of the community! :)

-Coreen
Welcome to the hobby Coreen, and the forums!

Think about your light, compared to the sun. How do you think it stacks up? Many of us run hundreds if not thousands of watts of power trying to simulate that sun, and even then, most of us fall short of that standard. Your little bulb... well, it would be embarrassing to try to make analogies, so I will refrain.

No... it is not enough light. Weeds are very adaptable however, and even though there are not enough photons to do much with, she is staying alive and doing what she can. Give her some real light, and some fresh air... and she will leap into action. Autos don't much care whether it is 24/0, 20/4 or 18/6... there are good arguments for either. Changing the light period will not solve the problem, and given that tiny flicker of a bulb, I would keep it on full time until you can upgrade it.

Get us a picture as soon as you can too so we can verify that you are not making the most common new grower of weeds mistake... watering too often. This too can stunt your plant and even kill it. In the early stages of this plant, you need to almost be cruel to it, holding out on water until it uses every last bit in the bottom of the container. Doing this forces the weed to aggressively grow roots, and in a plant on a set time schedule like ours, especially with an Auto, not forcing root growth early on results in a less than optimum yield at harvest.

Regarding nutes... read the last lines of my signature very carefully. You do not need nutes, and without the energy to use them, you actually could harm your plant by using them. Let's fix the major problem first, and then see if your plants need a supercharge later on. Contrary to popular belief, it is not easy to grow large amounts of quality pot, and it usually takes a fairly substantial investment in lights and fans to get great results.

Hope this helps a little, and good luck! Just give a shout if you have more questions, I am now monitoring your thread. Check out my watering thread, and please, understand those last words of warning.

Thanks guys!! :)

I ended up opening the curtains and moving her over to the window WITH the light on ... the Northern Lights is the last photo, seems to look good for 2 weeks and smells ... amazing. There's a little curling, which I read was heat ... but I'm using the LED and it's only about 78 in the room they are in. Thanks again, I appreciate it!

IMG_124336.jpg

IMG_124233.jpg

IMG_124431.jpg

northern4.jpg

Emilya,

I absolutely agree on the nutes and I was really trying to avoid them! I don't put anything in my other plants, ever, so I didn't want to do it to these ones either. I do have her next to an open window now with the LED. After my initial research before growing I learned that about the water, so I *think* I was vigilant on watching it! I'm not really looking for a huge yield, just personal use and the challenge/joy of growing, so I'm not real concerned with how much I end up with, more that it's just a great smoke :) Thanks!!

Rifleman ... LOL!!! I'd love to know how that works out!! :)

Deprivation ... I have them next to an open window now, for the extra light and the air flow. Now that you said humidity, I am certain that is the problem. Thanks! As far as the nutes ... I do plant every plant I have in soil with a touch of an egg shell, coffee grounds, worm castings combo, so they have *food*. However, if I *have* to get the nutes because they *require it* to grow, I will absolutely get them. I don't want to give them something *just* for a bigger yield, but only because they *need* it. Let me ask this ... which do you recommend if I do get them? :D

Really a shot glass ?

Rifleman ... LOL!!! I'd love to know how that works out!! :)

Stop by The Roost when you have time. The link is below. When I'm not putting out the fires of disaster that seem to follow me lately, I'm making sure to journal what I can. :) Im happy to help in any way I can too, just give me a shout on the journal if you have any questions.

Hey all! I just wanted to give you an update! It's been another 2 weeks, thought I'd share new pics :) I did add light. I've not added any nutes, probably not going to this first time around. I'm going to do a Dulce de Leche and an Amnesia next, those girls will get more light and nutes, for sure :) These current girls are looking a little tall and lanky to me, probably because of the light but they are flowering, so we'll see what happens. I'm feeling good about this very first experience, thanks again for your help!

babies70.jpg

Back
Top Bottom