New to growing my own

Dwight Monk

420 Support
420 Staff
I'm Dwight, new to growing my own and also I had been away from toking for 20 years due to random drug test jobs (it was prior to 1990 when I quit), back when we smoked all the crap weed as that was mostly what was out there unless you had connections to a grower. Always wanted to try and grow my own back in the day, Recreational usage became legal here in Oregon finally so I thought I would give it a go. I had to quit my job (almost 5 years ago) in order to take care of my Wife, so a 24/7 caregiver now, so no worries about random tests anymore, she had different upbringing but she knows I have back issues and I don't like Pharmaceuticals so she fine with it as long as I go outside in shed to smoke (my Son been doing that for years out there). Bought one of them 3' tall and 8" x 14" ID Stealth kind of boxes that came with a 135W full spectrum LED was included, decided that wasn't really a very big growing area so went down to the Habitat for Humanity restore and bought an used cabinet (linen closet type things with the holes for adjustable shelves in side panels). Cabinet was 8' tall and 21" x 14" ID, got it home and tried to stand up in my shed but it hit the rafters before being vertical. So cut it in half at the fixed shelf (gave me one complete box 4' tall), and then eventually added a top to the other half and now have a 6' tall cabinet too for a lot less money than the original dinky cabinet. Just mimicked the box I bought by cutting holes and adding computer fans in back, and bought two 300W full spectrum LED lights (so one in each cabinet). So much better for getting bigger plants out of, and the little one works great for clones/sprouting actually, so it all worked out. Bought a couple clones and just harvested the 2nd one today, why I ended up here as had some questions and seemed like lots of knowledge here (as like everything in life there is conflicting opinions out there so looked like a good place to learn. As I tend to learn the hard way, and I should have researched before I started growing, so after putting them into shock I managed to get them back out of shock and changed water I was using along with PH lowering, and not feeding them nutrients way too much which was the main problem with trying to kill my clones. Currently have some bag seed plants I started and a couple clones I made of the bigger one, as technically only allowed 4 plants per residence out of public view (in order to stay within the laws anyway). One of the clones I have in the small box trying to sex the plant before I waste time on having a mail from the bagseed, tried to sex a cutting and that didn't work for me (nor did my first try at cloning lol but last two tries worked so I must be learning or just luck ;)).
Anyway sorry for the freaking book, I ramble at times, I like it here as seems to be tons of knowledge and the folks appear to be real friendly and they don't seem mind stupid questions from the beginners like myself (but that is how you learn, as it is more stupid to keep going blindly than to ask and learn to do it correctly).

Pic of my two clones just prior to harvest, I'm happy with results for my first go round, as could have been worse and I could have totally killed them instead ;) (Dairy Queen on the left and Deep Purple on the right)

0032884.JPG

Welcome urbanmonk. RAmbling is fine here, we do a lot of it. Nothing wrong with learning as you go and by making mistakes. A lot of info here doesn't make sense until you've tried it on your own.

Glad you found us.

p.s.: Beautiful plants. Your pics posted as I was typing my post.

Urban monk You might enjoy hygro hybrids YouTube channel I watched the channel when it was free I think it cost like 99 cents. Dutchmans medical marijuana channel 5% uv for increasing potentcy. The clones are pretty. I`m from fl I knew people who grew bag seed some of it from the Bahamas and the Caribbean islands that home grown was electric man

:welcome: to the forum. May I suggest paragraphs, my old eyes can't focus that good anymore :thumb:

Will try and keep thoughts shorter/better organized, but proper English/Writing never been my strong suit. And I'm too old to have any hope of changing ;) . And I hear you on not seeing as well anymore as I"m over 50 and everything going to heck in a handbasket.

Thanks mister cpp English is not my friend. I`m in my late 30`s and feel like I`m going 70 the ole body has seen better days. I really haven't explored this site yet. I really enjoy horticulture I have studied on my own for over 20yrs. I feel like this plant is a gift from the creator or creators of this earth. I think that the creator is our steward and we are the stewards of this earth. .

Back
Top Bottom