First Indoor Grow - Soil & DWC Bucket - Super Silver Haze - Jack Herer - Bag Seed

Frenchy672

So this is my first grow that I've done from seed. I've received clones and other small plants and been able to successfully grow them. I have never grown inside though, so this is my first ever grow indoors. I never really had the money to be able to get what I thought was good enough equipment to be able to do it right, but I remembered my dad used to have an old fish tank that he sold. he kept the lights and pumps and everything else. I got a 175w MH light and a 200lph [50-55gph] air pump that he no longer used. The lighting to me was the most expensive thing to get started indoors, and that was one of the cheapest things that I've gotten so far..anyways, I made a 2x2x4 box and then got the 2 sided [b/w] rolls of plastic. I have a total of 4 23W 2700k CFL and 1 16W 3700k, I need to go buy 6k, and some larger bulbs]. I've had very limited income but I feel like I've got everything I need to be able to at least make a good attempt [hopefully]; making it worth my time and money.

The seeds planted now are bag seeds I got prolly less than a year ago. I germinated them in paper towels, with a heating pad underneath the paper plates to keep them warm. then on 2/22 I put them into jiffy pellets under 19/5 lighting and they took off very nicely

PicsArt_03-17-01_44_17.jpg

I gave them a week or so in the pellets until I figured roots were about to come out. I kept them in that black container and created a mini greenhouse over it with a cut open windshield washer bottle with plastic wrap over the top with holes in it. This was taken on 2/26

20160226_203928.jpg

I then transplanted them into some organic miracle grow into a solo cup on 3/2.

20160302_201449.jpg

I know most people don't talk highly about MG, being carcinogenic and extended release, but this stuff has iirc .01 or .001 available nitrogen and only has peet moss and other very basic things many other people use, just with a different brand name. Since money is always in need, I found myself falling behind my plants. I couldn't find any fox farm soil at the places closest to me. they all had miracle grow, scotts, all the other things I really wouldn't want to use to grow my plant in for the whole cycle. I eventually settled on some Dr. Earth: Pot of Gold Organic Potting Soil. it has everything one could really ask for..and it has mycorrhizae and many other great things for them to start out on.

20160313_121209.jpg

3/6: this is right before they were transplanted into their final homes. [3gal and a smaller one; I don't remember the size] the one on the right has been growing faster and stronger then the counterpart. The fact it was so speedy and healthy kind of made me want to believe it is a male, but ya never know. If you look at the stem of the right cup its so straight and green and healthy, and the other one is popping out of the soil a bit, stretching a bit, and has a purple stem. I've sadly treated the better growing one like a male, hence using less soil and putting it in a smaller pot.

20160306_101812.jpg

I'm thinking maybe some of the neglect went to its head and it decided to revolt...I'm not sure :p
Shortly after getting into the new soil; the faster growing plant [the one I neglected ^_^ ] started seeing spots....

20160312_095236.jpg

I honestly am still not sure of the issue....I'm thinking it's pH....I did a flush and it seems to have some what recovered but it's still ill. Since I built a dwc bucket I recently got the pH test and found out my tap is at 7.6-7.8 and that's what they've been getting for 2 weeks prior. weird how 1 plant reacts and the other didnt...anyways, I have ph up and down but I switched to distilled, which is at 6 when I test it. This is what it looks like now. you can see a new spot on the yellow edge of the leaf in the 1st picture. it starts like that and then goes big and brown and takes over the leaf.

20160317_010610.jpg

20160317_010629.jpg

The newer leaves look healthier then before and it seems to not be as stunted as it was a day or 2 ago. My other plant which has been extremely healthy and robust hasn't been effected by anything in the soil or even my tap water when I was using it.

20160317_000007.jpg

So if anyone has any ideas about what might be wrong, even if it is a male, all lives matter, even a plant; please let me know. Now moving on to the DWC.

20160316_141120.jpg

20160317_000100.jpg

I still need to wrap it with the white plastic before it gets used, I plan on doing that tomorrow. the seed that is going into that is being germinated now [started at 9pm EST on 3/15] hopefully to see results in the am (now 230am 3/17). I was having a super hard time finding anything to put together a bucket, even the double sided plastic had to be bought at the only specialty store around. Luckily there is a hydro shop [somewhat] close to me, that had everything I needed. I stopped there this past weekend and bought all the nutrients, double sided plastic, the netted pot, clay pebbles, black pump hoses.

20160316_235432.jpg

I'm super pumped that I'm able to grow this style, because I've always had a bit of a green thumb and now I get to test it out.
Granted this is only bag seed, but the 1 seed I'm hoping will pop, and go into the DWC, was from some really good buds a few months back. I had every plan and intention on buying seeds and then doing the DWC but I spent all my money on things to get it up and running, and now I'm left with bag seed.....it's much better than nothing, I'll go with that any day...anyways this hopefully won't be my last grow, so I definitely intend on buying seeds very shortly and constantly upgrading my setup. Well, thanks for reading and I hope I don't disappoint, sometimes there comes a point and time there's just no fixing what's been done. Heres a goodnight picture from T.he H.appy C.ampers over here.

20160317_010739.jpg

re: First Ever Indoor Grow - Soil & DWC Bucket -Super Silver Haze - Jack Herer - Bag Seed

Woke up and checked the seed around 7am and it popped!

20160317_101928.jpg

I'm almost done wrapping the bucket, I need to go to the store shortly to get rockwool cubes. I may upload some pics later tonight once everything is settled. For now, it's break time :volcano-smiley:

re: First Ever Indoor Grow - Soil & DWC Bucket -Super Silver Haze - Jack Herer - Bag Seed

Well I went to go look in on the plants and saw one of the ill leaves fell off.

20160317_100107.jpg

The top leaves look super healthy tho, no Yellow, no light/nute burn. On the other hand, my other plant is doing very well. I'm not sure I want to trim the leaves I rather do LST, but either way it needs to happen soon. There are small leaves getting trapped underneath the larger leaves.

20160317_100413.jpg

We'll I need to go to the store now. kbye

Went and got rock wool cubes today. I also got 3 6000k 26W CFL and a 46W in 2600k. I replaced 3 of the 2700k bulbs with the new 6k and it made a huge difference [obviously] but I still left 2 2700k bulbs in with the other 3 6k. so in total, I have the 175w MH and 5 26W CFLs on them right now. I'm not sure if the sick baby is going to make it or not. I would have to say if it did survive and turn out to be female I'd be pretty hit with 3 plants in my space...lots of training or trimming would be needed I'm sure....I finished wrapping my bucket today. Made sure there were no light leaks, by scanning around it in every which way with a flashlight.

20160317_230358.jpg

I put the seed in rock wool and have it sitting on a heating pad in a small container with saran wrap over the top to keep RH up. depending on what may or may not happen tonight, I may be filling the bucket, not sure yet. I need to get some sleep.....wait and see what tomorrow brings...

Pretty uneventful day. Added more soil to both of the plants. The one that is sickly definitely needed some more, so I'll try to care for it now for a possible recovery. the seed in the rockwool hasn't popped up yet, but it's sitting in the box with the rest of the gang.

20160318_193545.jpg

I'm itching for it to pop so I can start this hydro grow. Here are some pics of the plants now with fresh layer of soil, and the new lights I bought [minus the 46W. I'll put it in when the bucket goes in.] I was looking at threads today and being 2 1/2 weeks in, I feel the plant that is even doing well seems behind. I'm going to start adding nutes soon at 1/2 from the technaflora kit I have. it's feed water water and I just watered so next feeding I'll put them in. I'm worried I should start with 1/4 strength since the soil has quite a bit of nutes in it. Also, I'm working onow fixing the orientation of the pictures, I've tried everything everyone says should word but hasn't for me. I'll make them more appealing soon :p till then...:thanks:

20160318_093304.jpg

20160318_193711.jpg

20160318_193735.jpg

20160318_194029.jpg

Ive read thru your journal and the only thing I can think of is the soil is just too hot.. You might also have a tad too much constant air on them from the close fans so early..

By hot we mean too much nutrients, causing nutrient burn. I think that's likely to be it.

But brother (sister?), I love your grow! I love how you just took what was available to you and created something awesome!

Here's what I would do if I was you:

1) You gotta ditch the Miracle Grow. At the very least, mix it with some perlite or vermiculite or something. "Water" it down, so to speak.

2) Flush. RO water, lots of RO water for the next week. When the soil is dry to the touch, RO water. Don't over water - wait until the soil is dry to the touch, and lifting the cups feels like it's really light. Then a good RO soak. Spend this week flushing.

3) CLip the curled/yellow leaves. They're lost, move in, let the plant's energy go better places.

4) After the week's flush, lets start with a 1/4 solution of your nutes. Work your way up slowly. I never go by the manufacturers' schedules, they're always really hot. Start at 1/4, work yourself up slowly from there. I bet 1/2 strength will be plenty.

LET'S DO THIS!!

I've trolled around for years and never really signed up. figured since I was doing new grow style [indoors] I'd post it up. the MG is already buried and has .1 available but only .01 available in solution....the MG I feel isn't the issue at all....I know they carry bad rep but honestly if fox farm made the same thing it'd be ok...it has peat moss and .1 nitro. that's it. and for water, I have to use distilled...I'm at 6 all day. hence 6 in 6.5 ish out. the soil says I think runoff of 6.5 is good. and as a flush goes I just did one like 3 4 hours ago and that's how I got my reading of 6.5ish

and also as watering goes, when they're young [like first 2-4 leaves] I tend to over water, but I find myself waiting even longer since they are larger pots. I do water around the plant, as well as under the leaves, but I'm always trying to make sure it's dry. I feel like I've been under watering but could be wrong....I do the finger test and scrape a but away where my finger was to check and make sure...I feel like I've done everything I know, hence why idk what to do lol :p .....maybe it's just an old a$s seed? I doubt it would grow then just plop over like that....that'd have to me on me...well unless nutes...ugh have to wait and see....

quick morning update: trimmed the old leaves off. looks so bare, but I do see pushing up new growth finally..it was straight stunted for over a day. I know the seed for the DWC popped, I took a quick painless peak at the seed [I know I probably shouldnt] but I did anyways, it's cracked alright, fat white curl about to pop up soon I hope! let's hope for a pop worth day! cheers :thumb:

personally, I've always wondered why not leave them unless you have an infection of sorts. extra compost lol. but at the same time I get it, not like they'd even break down that quick. but I'm a clean Nazi otherwise ^_^ I keep my car vac plugged in right next to my box...I also wanted to share that if anyone has an extra phone or iPad or itouch [it works cross platform] I use a security camera app and leave the extra always plugged in so I can always check my rH, temps, and how everything's going. iirc it's like avs security streamer, and then you need the control panel app on the watching phone or device. free quick and easy and could save you.

I also am composting old food scraps in a 5 gallon bucket to use for soil for future grows. I know there are a lot of mixtures and whatnot out there, anyone have some good basic cheap if not free composting methods that can give you what you'd need?

Back
Top Bottom