Timmo's Organic Soil Grow Journal - Seedling Edition

Timmo

Welcome to

Timmo’s Organic Soil Grow Journal: Seedling Edition
———————————————————————
A Step-by-Step Demonstration of (Nearly) Every Mistake You Can Make

Fear not, my friends, for this is not a tale of woe, but one of joyful discovery! The learning has been worth the mistakes. Yours truly has learned much, and (so far) this story has a happy ending: My kids are kicking ass right now!

The basic facts:

The seedlings:
10 Mastodon (indica)
10 Iranian Early Flower (indica)
11 Lebanese (landrace) x Gorilla Grape bx2/Nepalese Rocket (60% indica)
2 Original White Widow (60% sativa)
3 Pure Northern Lights (indica)

Some clones that I’ve picked up along the way:
1 Green Queen (60% indica)
1 Cinex x NW Coffee (65% indica)
1 J1 (60% sativa)
1 Chemdawg
1 Black Betty
1 Lemon Kush (50/50)

And six mothers:
2 AK-47
2 Northern Lights
2 White Widow

Room: 8’ by 5’. In an old, uninsulated, very drafty barn.

Lights: 1000w MH, 400w MH, 400w HPS. The latter two share a hood.

Also in the room: A 30-gallon barrel full of water, no lid, for thermal mass and a little extra humidity. An electric oil-filled space heater, to keep the night temps from dipping too low. Two fans, one that oscillates, one that doesn’t. And as of a few days ago, my clone maker, sitting under the table with the seedlings on it.

Some of the plants got started in a closet in the house under eight 4-ft, 54w T5s, but everyone’s in the barn now.

January 28, 2016: 11 Mastodon seeds were started by soaking them in wet paper towels inside a ziplock bag set on a shelf above the T5s. Two days later, 9 sprouted. Another one the next day. I transferred all of them into starter 6-packs with seed starting mix that I scrounged out of my greenhouse and sterilized in the microwave. Rather than peel the paper towels apart and risk breaking the root or pulling hairs off (both of which I’ve done before), I cut the towels up so each seed sat inside its own little moist blanket, which I tucked into slots I made in the starting mix. The next day, 10 little green heads were poking up. I put the 6-packs under the T5s, where my mothers-in-training were.

Mistake #1: Using the paper towel method. There is only one reason to use this method: that electric feeling you get when you see that little root poke out. From the plant’s perspective, there is no benefit whatsoever. There are, however, plenty of downsides, including the aforementioned root damage and the (hereby foreshadowed) possibility of cooking the seeds. I’d already convinced myself last year that this is a bad method, and still I gave in to urge to see that root pop. Tsk, tsk.

Mistake #2: Using that seed starting mix. Assuming that it’s my normal-garden starting mix (another mistake: using something without being sure what it was), it’s equal parts peat, compost, and sand, which is too heavy for cannabis. Unfortunately, by the time I realized that this was a mistake, all of the above-listed seedlings were in it. Next time, I’m planning to use equal parts worm castings and vermiculite. I know that some people add peat to that as well, but I’d really like to break the peat moss habit, plus, there’s just something magical about EWC, and the thought of starting seeds in nothing but that and an aerator really lights me up.

Mistake #3: Putting the seedlings RIGHT NEXT TO plants that I knew had been infested with spider mites. I had sprayed those plants three times with Nuke Em, which really knocked the adult population down, but there were still lots of eggs. I could seriously almost cry thinking about how ignorant I was about spider mites just two short months ago. I just didn’t understand. I hadn’t lost my innocence yet. I have now. More on this subject to follow.

I don’t know why I didn’t take any pictures of those seedlings, but it appears that I didn’t.

Feb 2: Started the Northern Lights and White Widow seeds. Five of each. Again with the paper towels in ziplock on the shelf above the T5s. Two days later, all five NLs had sprouted, but only two WWs. The thermometer on the shelf said 90. Oops. At 10 bucks a pop, cooking three seeds is painful. I put them all in 6-packs and again set them on the shelf with the infested plants. Ugh.

The White Widows:
IMG_140426.jpg

Northern Lights:
IMG_140529.jpg

The Mastodons at this point:
IMG_140128.jpg

IMG_140225.jpg

Feb 17: Started 12 Lebanese Gorilla and 11 Iranian seeds. This time just straight into the sterilized seed starting mix. And they went nowhere near the infested closet. By this time, I was ultra paranoid about the borg, so I got my main grow room cleaned really well and put these kids in there. Inside an aquarium set inside a livestock watering basin as a moat. Obviously too small for them to grow in forever, but I hoped it would protect them at least long enough to get established before The Fuckers moved in. They took about a week to sprout. All but one of each strain sprouted. I put them under the 400w MH.

IMG_145728.jpg

I also transplanted the Mastodons, NLs, and WWs into 3.5” pots in my (at the time) standard growing mix.

54 gal base mix (equal parts peat, perlite, and compost)
1.5 c soil sweetener
16 c EWC
1.5 c bone meal
3.5 c 9-3-1 bat guano
2 c greensand
1/4 c Ful-Humix
3.5 c Azomite
1 c mycos

They were all looking very stressed. We had a few warm days where I didn’t keep on top of the temps (Mistake!), plus I’m sure the mites were really sapping them. I also released predatory mites in the closet.

IMG_144233.jpg

Mastodon #10 didn’t pull through.

Mistake #4: Using my growing mix, which was too hot for the youngsters. They all got nute burned. At least I assume that was the problem. I've never nute-burned plants before, so I don't really know what it looks like. The new growth looked great for the first couple of weeks, but then lower leaves started dying off around March 1:

IMG_149428.jpg

IMG_149531.jpg

IMG_149728.jpg

March 7, the crispification continues:
IMG_152929.jpg

IMG_153426.jpg

IMG_153327.jpg

IMG_152828.jpg

Meanwhile, the LGs and Iranians are doing well:
Feb 28:
IMG_147525.jpg

March 6:
IMG_151527.jpg
IMG_151728.jpg

IMG_151824.jpg

March 8: I repotted all of the nute-burned plants into 4” pots that I made into air pots. For the added soil, I used 50-50 worm castings and vermiculite. I figured it would give them something nice and gentle to grow into for a week or two and then I’d try repotting again in grown-up soil. The rootballs were obviously small for 5-week-old plants, but there were some decent, healthy-looking roots.

IMG_153626.jpg

You can see one of my homemade air pots on the lower right. I'll post better pics of them and how I made them if anyone's interested.

The next day, I moved them all to the main grow room under the 400w MH.
IMG_153839.jpg

Four days later:
IMG_155134.jpg

By that time, I thought I had already spotted mite eggs on the Iranians and the LGs and had decided that additional measures were necessary. The puckering you can see in some of the March 6 pics only added to my paranoia. I ordered a bottle each of Spinosad (Monterey Garden Spray), SM-90, and Mighty Wash. (In hindsight, what I saw were probably actually trichomes, not eggs. I really need to get a better microscope.) I removed the moat.

Mistake #5: Waiting to transplant after the nute burn showed up. I probably should have given them some mellower soil to start growing new roots into right away.

March 12: I started a 3-round cycle of Spinosad. Once every five days, right after lights out. I initially intended to follow that with three rounds each of the other two sprays, but so far, the Spinosad appears to have done the trick, so I stopped there. Haven't seen any sign of mites, but I'm ready to hit them again if need be.

March 14: I repotted the Iranians and the LGs. Most of them went into 3.5” pots. Two Iranians and one LG went into small burlap bags and two of each went into tall 3” pots to see how the growth rates would differ. I also varied the depth at which I planted them—some only half an inch deeper than they had been, some closer to two inches. A few seedlings is obviously not enough to reach any scientifically valid conclusions, but it still seems worth trying.

These two pics show that the roots aren't doing all that well in the starting mix I used:
IMG_155726.jpg
IMG_155826.jpg

I normally mix my soil outside on a tarp, but it was raining so hard that day that neither I nor my co-pilot wanted to go outside, so I gave the kiddie-pool a go. Not bad, but I still prefer the tarp.
IMG_156023.jpg

Done:
IMG_155921.jpg

Two days later:
IMG_157521.jpg

After a week, roots were already poking out of the burlap bags:

IMG_160127.jpg

IMG_160230.jpg

For the soil: All of the Iranians and five of the LGs went into 50-50 EWC-vermiculite. The other five LGs went into that blend mixed 50-50 with my new grown-up soil.

30 gal base (equal parts peat, perlite, and compost)
3/4 c soil sweetener
9 c EWC
1 c bat guano
1 c fish bone meal
2 Tbsp Ful-Humix
2 c Azomite
2 c basalt dust
2 c greensand
2 c kelp meal
2 c alfalfa meal
2 c crab meal
2 c neem seed meal
1 c mycos
3/4 c yucca powder

March 21: Comparing the roots in the three different plastic pots:

Standard 3.5" pot:
IMG_160328.jpg

Homemade 4" air pot:
IMG_160425.jpg

Tall 3" pot:
IMG_160625.jpg

March 23:

IMG_160828.jpg

March 28: Except the three in the burlap bags, I repotted everyone into 1-gal pots with the new mix, except in this batch I added 2 cups of diatomaceous earth and had run out of greensand. They all took to it very quickly. I pinched out the tops to encourage bushiness. After the repotting, I raised the light fixture and turned on the 400w HPS as well.

IMG_164621.jpg

Once again, comparing the rootballs:

Std. 3.5":
IMG_163530.jpg

4" air pot:
IMG_163824.jpg

Tall 3":
IMG_164026.jpg

Burlap bag:
IMG_164224.jpg

I didn't repot the ones in the burlap that day because they had so much more soil to grow into to begin with. I figured they probably hadn't had much chance for the rootball to really thicken up.

Everyone looked really happy except this one:
IMG_165429.jpg

Any ideas what's going on there? I started looking like that before the repotting and continued to get worse. A couple of its neighbors had similar puckering, but nowhere near as bad and without the paleness. You can see it on the lower right corner here (March 30):

IMG_165332.jpg

It has since improved considerably. April 4 (lower left):

IMG_171322.jpg

April 10: I put the three in the burlap bags into 2-gal pots. I’d had the bags sitting in some 4” square pots that are about a foot tall so they would sit upright. It would be better to have some kind of system that I could hang the bags from, so they weren’t pressed up against plastic, which defeats the air pruning purpose of the fabric. You can definitely see where the bags were touching the pots—the only spots where the roots really grew through. I resisted the urge to cut one of the bags open to see how the rootball looked, but that would have defeated the other purpose of the fabric—minimizing transplant shock.

IMG_175018.jpg
IMG_175323.jpg

IMG_175417.jpg

At this point, they're a little smaller than their siblings. I'm curious to see if they catch up.

That brings us up to date.

IMG_175518.jpg

I haven’t said anything about watering or fertilizing. I haven’t added any ferts to the water. I use either plain water or compost tea. I mist the plants with both as well. I haven’t studied up on compost tea enough to really know what I’m doing with it. I’m in the middle reading Teaming With Microbes. My skim of the chapter on ACT suggests that you can use it every time, but I get the feeling that cannabis growers don’t do that. Learning how to use it correctly is one of my goals for this grow.

Thanks for reading! More to come.

I started looking like that before the repotting and continued to get worse.

Well, I certainly felt bad seeing the plant in that condition, but I don't think I actually looked that bad. Of course, I'm not getting any younger, so maybe.

The good news is, I went to check on it today, and if I hadn't actually known which one it was, I would've had a hard time picking it out.

A few leaves have that little bit of residual curl like the one right in the middle, but that's the only tell.

IMG_176422.jpg

Whatever it was, the new soil seems to have taken care of it.

Hey timmo, looks like you're on a quest of some kind. I'll happily tag along & see how it all goes. Cool setup by the way.

:thumb:

My grow room is rapidly getting cramped, so I had to rearrange a bit this morning to give the kids a bit more breathing room.

IMG_177922.jpg

The whole room, in all its glory. Those are my mothers in the 5-gal buckets on the left side.

IMG_177520.jpg

Well this was unexpected. I went to check on the kids this morning, and seven of them have male flowers--3 Mastodons, 2 Iranians, and 2 Lebanese Gorillas--even though my lights are on 18-6. A few others are showing pistils. I'm happy to have the extra space in the grow room from pulling the males out, but I'm no so happy that they're flowering.

IMG_178221.jpg

I'll make note of which ones aren't flowering yet and use those to take cuttings.

If you're not fussy, your pheno-genos get to carry on. If you are, I get to smoke you sooner.

I was standing there admiring how quickly my plants are growing night before last, when it occurred to me: This isn't just a regular growth spurt--these plants are all flowering. This is the stretch! Which means that the roots are in their final push too. And here my plants are in these puny 1-gallon pots--not at all what I had in mind for flowering in. So I whipped together a fresh batch of soil, washed a bunch of 2-gallon pots, and went to work.

This batch of soil:

3/4 c soil sweetener
9 c worm castings
2 c seabird guano 0-12-0
2 Tbsp Ful-Humix
2 c Azomite
2 c basalt dust
2 c kelp meal
1 c alfalfa meal
1 c crab meal
1 c neem seed meal
1 c mycos
1 c diatomaceous earth

I adjusted my previous recipe to try to cut down on the nitrogen, so no bat guano, no bone meal, half the usual amount of alfalfa, crab, and neem.

2-1/2 weeks after the last repotting, the roots had really taken off. Here's one of the Mastodons:

IMG_178730.jpg

This is either Northern Lights or White Widow:

IMG_178427.jpg

The Iranians are a more compact strain. This was typical of their roots:

IMG_178625.jpg

Done:

IMG_178927.jpg

I'm strongly considering moving the Iranians out to my greenhouse to finish. They have only a 6-week flowering period, so I should still be able to make it without having to light dep them at the end, though it may be cutting it close. According to the seed company I got them from, they like a ton of light and don't do well indoors, so the greenhouse should be better for them. Plus, that'll free up more space in the grow room for the rest. I'm contemplating bending all the others over at 90 degrees so they get more even light, but we'll see if I have time.

I've now pulled a total of 12 males out. There are a couple that could still go either way, but the rest are all growing pistils. 12 males out of 28 unsexed plants--not bad. I think I'll keep one of the Iranians alive for pollen and use the rest to practice supercropping on before they go to the compost pile.

Does anyone have any thoughts on why my plants are blooming, even though they're on 18-6? Is it possible that repotting and pinching out the tops at the same time was too much stress? The only other thing I can think of is that I've been doing a better at keeping the temp in the mid-70s during the day for the last few weeks. It had been getting into the low 80s for awhile. Maybe the cooler weather triggered them? But my mothers are in the same room, and they're not flowering (thank god!).

I was about to make a wisecrack about Christmas coming early this year whichever one of them gets to be the tree, when it occurred to me that I've already topped all of these. Which means I'll have to buy more seeds or there won't be any Christmas tree. Which means Christmas will be coming really, really early for el Timmerino! :slide:

I was standing there admiring how quickly my plants are growing night before last, when it occurred to me: This isn't just a regular growth spurt--these plants are all flowering. This is the stretch! Which means that the roots are in their final push too. And here my plants are in these puny 1-gallon pots--not at all what I had in mind for flowering in. So I whipped together a fresh batch of soil, washed a bunch of 2-gallon pots, and went to work.

This batch of soil:

3/4 c soil sweetener
9 c worm castings
2 c seabird guano 0-12-0
2 Tbsp Ful-Humix
2 c Azomite
2 c basalt dust
2 c kelp meal
1 c alfalfa meal
1 c crab meal
1 c neem seed meal
1 c mycos
1 c diatomaceous earth

I adjusted my previous recipe to try to cut down on the nitrogen, so no bat guano, no bone meal, half the usual amount of alfalfa, crab, and neem.

2-1/2 weeks after the last repotting, the roots had really taken off. Here's one of the Mastodons:

IMG_178730.jpg

This is either Northern Lights or White Widow:

IMG_178427.jpg

The Iranians are a more compact strain. This was typical of their roots:

IMG_178625.jpg

Done:

IMG_178927.jpg

I'm strongly considering moving the Iranians out to my greenhouse to finish. They have only a 6-week flowering period, so I should still be able to make it without having to light dep them at the end, though it may be cutting it close. According to the seed company I got them from, they like a ton of light and don't do well indoors, so the greenhouse should be better for them. Plus, that'll free up more space in the grow room for the rest. I'm contemplating bending all the others over at 90 degrees so they get more even light, but we'll see if I have time.

I've now pulled a total of 12 males out. There are a couple that could still go either way, but the rest are all growing pistils. 12 males out of 28 unsexed plants--not bad. I think I'll keep one of the Iranians alive for pollen and use the rest to practice supercropping on before they go to the compost pile.

Does anyone have any thoughts on why my plants are blooming, even though they're on 18-6? Is it possible that repotting and pinching out the tops at the same time was too much stress? The only other thing I can think of is that I've been doing a better at keeping the temp in the mid-70s during the day for the last few weeks. It had been getting into the low 80s for awhile. Maybe the cooler weather triggered them? But my mothers are in the same room, and they're not flowering (thank god!).

Omg bro if you have space DO NOT GET RID OF YOUR MALES. The males have more thc per lb than females. We are specifically breeding males for bho and other tinctures (Phoenix tears, dabs, cannabutter , infused honey, glycerol. Etc) bro super crop them top them strain the hell outta those boys put em on 24 light extra fert and have fun

Outdoors organicshttps://www.420magazine.com/forums/journals-in-progress/274432-kera-bubblegum-northern-lights-afghan-lime-my-3-strains-im-growing.html

I haven't killed them yet, OH, but I'm out of room inside--I'm already eyeballing the females to see who I'm going to move into the greenhouse to give the rest more space.

OK, where was I?

By April 19--9 days after I up-potted them--the three that I had in the burlap bags were pretty much caught up with their siblings. Everyone was looking good.

IMG_182920.jpg
IMG_183123.jpg

The flowering issue is still puzzling me. All the Lebanese Gorillas (except the one that started in the burlap) and a couple of the Mastodons looked determined to flower, but the rest were pretty wishy-washy--pistils growing out of most of the nodes, but no buds forming.

IMG_184424.jpg

IMG_183920.jpg

April 24: I repotted all the seedlings, mostly into #4 or 5 pots. The three in the burlap were clearly bigger than everyone else by now, so I put them in #7 pots (still no signs of flowers on the LG).

One of the burlap Iranians:

IMG_190029.jpg

White Widow, roots and top:

IMG_190129.jpg

IMG_190223.jpg

Northern Lights:

IMG_190424.jpg

I probably jumped the gun on repotting in terms of letting the rootball really fill the soil, but since I wasn't sure who was really flowering and who wasn't, I wanted to get them all into bigger pots while they were still growing fast. I potted them all in the "new grown-up soil" that I mentioned in my original post instead of a reduced nitrogen recipe. I think mostly I just didn't feel like making two separate batches of soil. (Side note: My 75-year-old mom, who doesn't partake, helped me make the soil and repot the plants. Strange new world we're living in.)

I moved the four clearly flowering Lebanese Gorillas and the two Mastodons and two Iranians that looked most like they were headed that way out to my greenhouse.

ghouse_4-24.jpg

April 26: My girls lost their innocence. They are now expectant mothers. I cut off the four lowest branches that were big enough to use as clones, plus all the scraggly growth under them. My 29-gallon aquarium aero cloner was already occupied, and the bigger one I'm building isn't done yet, but I've had past success cloning in small pots of vermiculite set in shallow water with an air bubbler in it, so that's what I did, only I used 50/50 verm/perlite. I've always coveted jumbo domes but balked at paying 8 bucks for a piece of clear plastic, but, for the girls, I'm pulling out all the stops, so I ponied up for three of them. I dipped the cuttings in Bontone rooting powder.

IMG_193119.jpg

Momentary digression, as long as I'm talking about different types of cloners. The day before, I took a bunch of cuttings from my mothers, which were getting overgrown and couldn't wait for me to finish the new big aero. I also didn't have any vermiculite on hand. So I decided to try something new, based on a picture in an Ed Rosenthal book. I made smallish holes in a 5x10 grid in some half-inch thick styrofoam insulation panels that I cut just a little bigger than a standard 1020 plant tray. I filled the trays with water, put a bubbler in each, set the panels on top, and plunked a bunch of the cuttings in them. I made the bubblers out of 1/4" soaker hose and some T barbs. The version in the book has the styro cut a little smaller than the tray so it just floats on the water, which is probably a good idea, but I was trying to maximize the number of cuttings I could get into them.

IMG_191422.jpg

Enough with the digression--back to April 26: Just a couple of days after the repotting, the burlap pack is unmistakably bigger than the rest.

IMG_192029.jpg

This picture is a little misleading, because there a bunch of little clones sitting in and between their pots, which makes them look more lush than they really were, but you can see that the three along the right wall are the biggest of the bunch. Bad news though: The Lebanese Gorilla was the last gender-development holdout of the whole bunch. I had my fingers crossed that late development meant it was female, but no such luck.

IMG_193927.jpg

I yanked it out of there and chopped it down immediately. Sorry Ohio, but I just don't have time to keep after a bunch of erratically flowering males. Maybe next year.

The rootball pulled out quite easily, or at least this much of it did. Anybody have any thoughts on how well-developed that is? I planted the seeds on Feb 17, and they all took about a week to come up, so that's about 9 weeks from sprouting.

IMG_195425.jpg

April 27: The exiles in the greenhouse. Actually, they're the first to be liberated so they can enjoy the sunshine. I had to scoot them forward on the bench every day because they'd grow up into the plastic.

IMG_1936_1_.jpg

The rest of my males finally met their fate that day. I'd had them sitting outside in hopes of getting some time to practice supercropping on them, but after reading Emilya's thread on making fermented plant extracts (Emmie's Backyard Fermented Plant Extracts from Dandelions!), I decided that that was the best use for the boys. Away they went. If you're interested, you can read about it in my comments to her thread.

April 30: It's getting clear that the LGs in the greenhouse are definitely flowering, and somewhat less clear that the Mastodons and Iranians are not. I started one of the LGs on a little weight training so the tops of the lower branches get good light.

IMG_198025.jpg

It was a good day in the freebie department. My wife's boss's husband owns a landscaping company, and he let me plunder his mountain of used pots.

IMG_198326.jpg

That's 140 pots, half of them #15s. Score! I'm going to have some very happy girls this summer.

May 13: I'm transitioning everyone outside. The girls got their first taste of sunshine yesterday. They also got a bath. A couple of my older mothers were having a spider mite resurgence, and I was starting to see mite bites on the younger plants that were sitting next to them, so I sprayed them all with soapy water (Dr. Bronner's peppermint), hit them with the bug blaster, hung each one upside down over a garbage can full of water so the tops were completely submerged for 10-15 minutes, and then hit them again with the bug blaster. Everyone looked very happy with both the sun and the bath.

IMG_208823.jpg

I'm still moving them all in at night so they don't get too cold and to keep them on their light schedule, which I'm reducing by 15 minutes every morning until they're in sync with the sun.

IMG_209524.jpg

Meanwhile, in the greenhouse:

IMG_210624.jpg

All four of the Lebanese Gorillas look like that. The Mastodons and the one remaining Iranian (the other turned out to be male and is now living outside) don't have distinct buds like that, but, contrary to earlier doubts, I think they are all flowering as well.

I'm mulling over whether to light dep them. They're at least 4 weeks into flower. I'd hate to have them get this far and then revert to veg. But the fact that they started flowering despite being on 18/6 makes me think that they'll keep going. The scientist in me certainly wants to wait and just see what happens.

That pretty much brings us up to date. I'll try to update a little more frequently.

Everyone is now outside full time. Yesterday, I moved the 7 that were in the greenhouse outside as well, partly because the next few days are going to be hot, partly because the greenhouse was bursting at the gills. All 7 of them are definitely blooming, though the Iranian and the Mastodons are nowhere near as far along as the Lebanese Gorillas. Two of the LGs are purple phenos, and two are green.

LG6:

IMG_222116.jpg

IMG_222219.jpg

LG11 isn't as far along, but was the first to show purple:

IMG_225226.jpg

IMG_226322.jpg

LG7:

IMG_225919.jpg

LG8:

IMG_225513.jpg

M1:

IMG_225419.jpg

M9:

IMG_225715.jpg

I8:

IMG_225819.jpg

The Iranians that weren't among the original premature bloomers decided to join the fun about a week ago. Three of them were in 5-gallon buckets; the other two--the two I started in the burlap bags--were in #7 pots. The roots hadn't really filled out those containers yet, but I moved them all up to #20 pots yesterday anyway, assuming that they're heading into their final growth spurt. I figured I needed about 60 gallons of additional soil, but I didn't want to use that much of my boutique soil. Since it's my understanding that most of the feeder roots are in the top 8 inches of soil, I decided to make two layers. For the bottom of the pots, I had 12 or 13 gallons of my original soil mix (before I started adding the hippie ingredients), which I mixed with 15 gallons of donkey-manure compost from last year, around 3 gallons of dirt from my garden (pure clay), and a gallon or two of perlite. I sprinkled a little myco on top of that, set the plants in place, and then filled the pots up with the boutique stuff. The mycos may not have time to get established enough to make a difference, but I figured it couldn't hurt. I did the repotting right at mid-day yesterday, which generally isn't advisable; a few hours later, a number of leaves were clawing and canoeing in protest. They're all fine again today.

IMG_225120.jpg

The two on the left in the pic above are the ones that started in the burlap bags. The difference is remarkable. This is just those two:

IMG_225024.jpg

Almost all of the plants featured in this journal are showing signs of potassium deficiency, so I gave them a foliar feeding of liquid seaweed (0-0-4.5, 1/2 teaspoon per quart of water). The plants that are fully flowering don't look as bad, so I only gave them a light shot, and only on the lower leaves to avoid getting the flowers wet. It's supposed to be hot today, and there's a bit of a breeze, so I'm not worried about accidentally getting moisture trapped in the flowers.

That's it for today.

It's a fair question, Blue, but no, the seeds for all three strains came from a grower who specializes in regular seed. I'm happy with how they look, even with the early blooming. It just means I get to smoke it sooner, right?

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

I think about updating almost every day, but I'm in the middle of building a big new greenhouse, so I'm either too busy or too wiped out. I'll get on it soon, I promise. I've got one plant that I'm gonna chop any day now. Here's a teaser:

IMG_238420.jpg

The new digs:

IMG_248023.jpg

Back
Top Bottom