Old-School & Young Blood - Grown By An Old Fart

Preface: Hello, I am TorturedSoul. Some of you may have read a post - or two - of mine before. I started a grow journal once before, but my fertilizer supplier came to be under Official Scrutiny - so I got paranoid, removed everything even vaguely cannabis-related from my home, my life, and my computer and crawled under a rock for a few years. Fast forward to now. I am back and I cannot help but feel that I owe the community a journal, lol. I hope that things go better this time, that I can finish my grow, and that I do not end up feeling the need to find another rock to crawl under.

This post is sort of a bit premature. When I stated I got rid of everything cannabis-related, I meant exactly that; I am starting from scratch. I am told that (much of) the various nutrients that I hurriedly gave away went unused, were stored tightly sealed, and can be mine again. But I am unsure about a light at present. Because IDK what type/size of light I will have (and am, at this point, just hoping that I will have one become available when I need it), I cannot really finalize my plans for the size of my grow area.

The reason that I am starting my journal NOW is that I have a bit of a dilemma on my hands. I had originally intended to grow two strains, but that fickle lady fortune actually smiled upon me for once, lol - and I have a few more strains available to choose from. Would anyone like to help me choose?

I will be growing this for sure:
KM.jpg

I have long been a fan of Kali Mist. These are feminized seeds, so I will be growing one to start with.

JH30.jpg

I am also a fan of Jack Herer from way back - both the activist (RiP) and the strain. These are regular seeds, so I will be growing two. If I get two females, I will try to grow them both out (as, like with the Kali Mist, there are multiple phenotypes). If I get one male, I may attempt to figure out a way to isolate it and keep it alive, for its genetics will make it a suitable parent, IMHO. I hope I do not end up with two males <KNOCKS ON WOOD>.

And here is my dilemna: There were also some "bonus" seeds sent, and I am allowed to choose one or more of them...
VK62.jpg

PC10.jpg

CoK.jpg

CK17.jpg

BC46.jpg

AL10.jpg

LH16.jpg

I realize that my space will be limited, and trying to grow multiple strains (especially after a long hiatus from growing) can be "a bit" of a handful. But I am of a mind to grow one, possibly even two of the Barney's Farm strains. Anyone want to offer their suggestions/advice? I am thinking about the Blue Cheese (because it has Blueberry as one of its parents), but that choice is not set in stone; I may choose a different strain or choose none of them.

I have not germinated the seeds yet, so I have a little time. And I can eek them along under low intensity light to begin with if I must. If, when the time comes to put them under decent lighting, I still haven't figured a solution... Well, I will probably end up transplanting them to locations that are sure to be an embarrassment for the establishment ;) . But I hope to have something worked out by then (optimistic, perhaps, as I am operating on a shoestring budget - a broken, knotted shoestring at that, lol). I have friends/family who could use the meds and have agreed to give much of my harvest away, and I would hate to disappoint.

re: Old-School & Young Blood - Grown by an Old Fart

I'd run Pineapple Chuck at least. Every one of 'em that I've seen in journals has been a vigorous beauty, frequently going purple at the end. That's a winner.

I've run a few Amnesia Haze crosses and it's one of my favorite genetic stocks, but I haven't liked the Skunk #1 crosses. Some people love Skunk #1. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Critical Kushes have also been looking good, seems like another well-behaved, rewarding strain, although I think I've see the Dinafem versions.

But definitely try the Pineapple Chunk. :thumb:

I'd run Pineapple Chuck at least. Every one of 'em that I've seen in journals has been a vigorous beauty, frequently going purple at the end. That's a winner.

I was impressed by purple buds - back in the 1980s. Pretty but... <SHRUGS> they lost some of their magic (in my eyes) when I learned that cool temperatures and/or a phosphorous deficiency could cause the color, lol. Still, the PC is being considered.

One of the people that I am hoping to be able to gift some of the harvest to has - among other things - spinal stenosis and has to work at a somewhat physical and repetitive job on his feet all day. On top of the pain, he has about 40%-50% functionality in his shoulders (ever see someone dislocate their shoulder by moving it wrong, lol? It isn't pretty and neither is the realization that, hey, I'm not as strong as I used to be and therefore cannot put a shoulder back into place like I used to be able to... on the first try). He is at the point where he told me just the other day that every Monday morning he finds himself hoping that he'll be capable of working the whole week (and his OL doesn't work at all, so...). Because of him - and a couple others - and the fact that the two main strains that I'll be growing are partially (JH, 50%) and mostly (KM, 90%) sativa, I want to grow something that could be described as mostly indica, too. I told him where the name "Blue Cheese" comes from and he said, "I %*&@ing HATE the smell/taste of cheese. But I love the smell/taste of blueberries. And then he muttered something about getting presents delivered by having them tied to cinder blocks and thrown through his window, and said that he'd be willing to try it. Folks like us grew up too poor to get the penicillin that tasted like bubblegum when we were growing up, lol, and instead had to swallow the one that didn't have the covering flavor and tasted a lot like it smells when you mistakenly take an extra multivitamin and go pee a few hours later - so we're used to dealing with medicines that aren't appealing to the senses ("That tastes like it has been processed through a cat's kidneys... It must be good for you."). And if the blueberry shines through (I have some doubts) in the aroma/flavor department, it would be rather pleasant.

I've run a few Amnesia Haze crosses and it's one of my favorite genetic stocks

I used to always have a haze in my garden. Or a sativa from the Oaxacan(, Mexico) highlands. Or a Thai that has you hoping you don't lose the "banana battle" before it finishes flowering. Or a mix of the three, lol - but beggars cannot be choosers. And, whatever I end up using for lighting, it won't be a bank of 1,000-watt HPS. I have a feeling that the Kali Mist will be "a bit" of a struggle.

but I haven't liked the Skunk #1 crosses.

Me, I can take or leave bud that smells like skunk (but it's definitely not my favorite - and I've disliked "Sam the Skunkman" for years). I'd just prefer not to have the scent emanating from my grow, since many people associate the odor with cannabis and I have a feeling that my ventilation/odor-control will be <COUGH> somewhat rudimentary in nature, sadly.

Critical Kushes have also been looking good, seems like another well-behaved, rewarding strain, although I think I've see the Dinafem versions.

The description of the Critical Kush, the Cookies Kush, and the Vanila Kush "sounded" good when I read it. In fact, they all did. But I have read lots of not-so-nice things about Barney's strains. I'm hoping for NO hermaphrodism, lol. Anything over and beyond that would just be a bonus :roll3: .

But definitely try the Pineapple Chunk.

Since it is one of the two that came with a duplicate, I will probably get to try it even if I do not do so this time. I just hope that I do not end up having to try to use its "reeking, overly ripe pineapple smell" (as was described to me once)... as my odor management tool <SHUDDERS> .

YES! I made the first page! High TS! I'm glad I'm here to see all of this.

Yep, you are sitting right below the stage, lol. I hope you wore your old clothes (or a raincoat ;) ) - just because I'm not growing Trainwreck... doesn't guarantee that there won't be an opportunity to see one.

I hope to initiate the germination phase this evening. I haven't lived with a witch since the late '80s (that's witch - with a "w," lol), but I do seem to remember that she once mentioned that flowering plants should be planted when the time of the full moon approaches instead of after it has already passed. <SCRATCHES HEAD> Or maybe I have that backwards? Anyway, I hope to get them wet tonight.

I'm trying to figure out what method I'll be using to grow everything. That bit of rambling will be for another post, though.

I was impressed by purple buds - back in the 1980s. Pretty but... <SHRUGS> they lost some of their magic (in my eyes) when I learned that cool temperatures and/or a phosphorous deficiency could cause the color, lol. Still, the PC is being considered.

One of the people that I am hoping to be able to gift some of the harvest to has - among other things - spinal stenosis and has to work at a somewhat physical and repetitive job on his feet all day. On top of the pain, he has about 40%-50% functionality in his shoulders (ever see someone dislocate their shoulder by moving it wrong, lol? It isn't pretty and neither is the realization that, hey, I'm not as strong as I used to be and therefore cannot put a shoulder back into place like I used to be able to... on the first try). He is at the point where he told me just the other day that every Monday morning he finds himself hoping that he'll be capable of working the whole week (and his OL doesn't work at all, so...). Because of him - and a couple others - and the fact that the two main strains that I'll be growing are partially (JH, 50%) and mostly (KM, 90%) sativa, I want to grow something that could be described as mostly indica, too. I told him where the name "Blue Cheese" comes from and he said, "I %*&@ing HATE the smell/taste of cheese. But I love the smell/taste of blueberries. And then he muttered something about getting presents delivered by having them tied to cinder blocks and thrown through his window, and said that he'd be willing to try it. Folks like us grew up too poor to get the penicillin that tasted like bubblegum when we were growing up, lol, and instead had to swallow the one that didn't have the covering flavor and tasted a lot like it smells when you mistakenly take an extra multivitamin and go pee a few hours later - so we're used to dealing with medicines that aren't appealing to the senses ("That tastes like it has been processed through a cat's kidneys... It must be good for you."). And if the blueberry shines through (I have some doubts) in the aroma/flavor department, it would be rather pleasant.

I used to always have a haze in my garden. Or a sativa from the Oaxacan(, Mexico) highlands. Or a Thai that has you hoping you don't lose the "banana battle" before it finishes flowering. Or a mix of the three, lol - but beggars cannot be choosers. And, whatever I end up using for lighting, it won't be a bank of 1,000-watt HPS. I have a feeling that the Kali Mist will be "a bit" of a struggle.

Me, I can take or leave bud that smells like skunk (but it's definitely not my favorite - and I've disliked "Sam the Skunkman" for years). I'd just prefer not to have the scent emanating from my grow, since many people associate the odor with cannabis and I have a feeling that my ventilation/odor-control will be <COUGH> somewhat rudimentary in nature, sadly.

The description of the Critical Kush, the Cookies Kush, and the Vanila Kush "sounded" good when I read it. In fact, they all did. But I have read lots of not-so-nice things about Barney's strains. I'm hoping for NO hermaphrodism, lol. Anything over and beyond that would just be a bonus :roll3: .

Since it is one of the two that came with a duplicate, I will probably get to try it even if I do not do so this time. I just hope that I do not end up having to try to use its "reeking, overly ripe pineapple smell" (as was described to me once)... as my odor management tool <SHUDDERS> .

Yep, you are sitting right below the stage, lol. I hope you wore your old clothes (or a raincoat ;) ) - just because I'm not growing Trainwreck... doesn't guarantee that there won't be an opportunity to see one.

I hope to initiate the germination phase this evening. I haven't lived with a witch since the late '80s (that's witch - with a "w," lol), but I do seem to remember that she once mentioned that flowering plants should be planted when the time of the full moon approaches instead of after it has already passed. <SCRATCHES HEAD> Or maybe I have that backwards? Anyway, I hope to get them wet tonight.

I'm trying to figure out what method I'll be using to grow everything. That bit of rambling will be for another post, though.
A good additive that we have found to speed up the germination process is to use some aloe powder with the water. Holy cow! Shaves days off waiting for the beauties to sprout. I can't speak highly enough about it.

I told myself to keep my post-length short in my journal. How am I doing so far? (LMAO)

A good additive that we have found to speed up the germination process is to use some aloe powder with the water. Holy cow! Shaves days off waiting for the beauties to sprout. I can't speak highly enough about it.

Err... I think I might have some Old Spice powder.

I had thought to drop the seeds into cups of (dechlorinated) tap water and wait for them to open & show the merest hint of a root. But I have been known to be "a bit" forgetful, lol. As in, I once had a bunch of peat pots and plastic starter trays in my oven (high-tech germination chamber ;) ) with pepper seeds in them for the vegetable garden. I remembered them as I walked into the kitchen to see what was on fire after I set it to preheat to 400°F and wandered off. IDK how close to 400° the oven got - but there was a sizzle from the sweat flash-evaporating when I grabbed the oven rack with my bare hand <WHOOPS!> and pulled it out so I could deal with the charred - and melted, in the case of the plastic starter trays - mess. (Believe it or not, about a half dozen tiny seedlings actually survived and went on to bear fruit.) I'm worried that I'll be too long in removing the cracked seeds and spending too long submerged in (non-oxygenated) water isn't good for them. <SHRUGS> I've done it more times than I can count, lol... But the Jack Herer seeds aren't feminized and I'm looking to keep the conditions up through the fourth week of growth or so as optimum (ha. ha ha ha.) as I can so as to stack the deck in favor of getting females.

I've soaked seeds until they cracked and then planted them. I've soaked them for up to twelve hours and then placed them within dampened folded paper towels "on a saucer, in a baggie" before until they cracked, and then planted them. I've just planted them. I generally had success unless I was dumb enough to water them down into the soil far enough that they expired before getting their cotyledon-leaves above ground. Or if they were so old (and/or poorly stored) that no amount of sanding/filing the seed cases made any difference. But I worry about it. I think last time I tried to do a journal, I might have germinated them first (soaked them for a time and then planted them into cups of (mostly) perlite, maybe), waited for them to break the surface, and then started my journal - this time I'm "in the public eye" from the start, lol. And the last seeds I germinated came straight from the breeder. I know that at least one pack are "fresh" from the breeder to the seedbank (as the order was delayed while they were gotten), but am just assuming that the rest of them are reasonably fresh.

Am I rambling again? I wish I had pictures - everyone else has pictures. (Give me a week or two ;) .)

Growing Style:

I hope to grow at least one of the strains in a Rubbermaid type of tote, DWC. Both because I have had excellent results in the past with this method (mad amounts of dissolved oxygen in the water at all times makes up for a lot in terms of poor conditions - including occasional temperature spikes in excess of 100°F). I can get one of these for around $22:
tominaga_dive_power_85_aquarium_power_head.jpg

...and I have a tote somewhere.

I may do the others in soil. Or I might go with hand-watered hydro - I'll go ahead and jump on the bandwagon and refer to this method as "hempy," although the technique is far older than the name (think "Hanging Gardens of Babylon," lol).

I wish I could get some of the Geolite (expanded clay balls, not to be confused with Geodon - which is only of use if you or a loved one happens to be schizophrenic, bipolar, or <SHUDDERS> both) that I once had, but I learned yesterday that the person who ended up with the giant bag of them when I gave everything away... threw them away a few years ago. The nearest hydroponics store is in another state and it'd be a long walk. I vaguely remember dumping some into a gopher hole in my mother's yard once - maybe I ought to take a shovel and hunt for them, lol?

Mother plants will either be in soil or a perlite/coco mixture. Possibly in red Solo cups ;) .

Sign me up TS, glad you are going to make a journal. I've got to say pineapple chunk, it's been quite a good producer from what I've read in journals here. Plus I think there's a community grow thread that you can contribute to. Good luck on this grow TS,

KIG :green_heart:cheers

Sign me up TS, glad you are going to make a journal.

I think you're the third person that has stopped by. OtOH, I won't even be getting any seeds wet for a couple more hours, lol, so it's still early yet.

I've got to say pineapple chunk, it's been quite a good producer from what I've read in journals here.

It might be the only Barney's Farm strain that I haven't read much negativity about. It seems like you can't swing a dead cat around the Internet without hitting reports that do not exactly fill me with positive anticipation... 33% germination rates, feminized seed packs producing 100% male plants, "indicas" growing 20' tall, lol - oh, and the dreaded hermaphrodites. That last one is what really scares me; my vision isn't as good as it used to be (and it sucked then), and I fear that I'll miss a male flower or two. Having a 100% female dust a tiny bit of pollen onto one of my top shelf strains late in the grow and giving me a feminized hybrid seed or ten is one thing (and could actually be interesting - in the long run), but having a hermie blow pollen all over them and ruining a sinsemilla harvest by filling it with seeds that carry a strong tendency towards hermaphrodism is quite something else.

People do seem to like the Pineapple Chunk, though. (Dreaming:) I wonder if it would cover up any skunky smells, lol? But if it is capable of that, it would probably also cover up the Kali Mist - and I used to love that one. IDK.

Looks like "kickoff" is in just under two hours. Decisions, decisions...

i'm in :circle-of-love:I do not know how to choose a seed,but i like babies,so i will visit your journal whenever i have time...:goodjob: i'm sure you will do great:love:

We have a pineapple chunk growing right now.

It won the ~TS~ Barney's Farm lottery, lol. After doing far more research than I had planned on - and reading more negative reports than I've ever read about ANY breeder other than some tool named Swerve - I ended up deciding by... sticking my hand into the pouch and puling out one BF single seed pack :rolleyes3 . I looked in my hand and I'd drawn Pineapple Chunk.

So it's Kali Mist (old favorite), two Jack Herer (ditto), and Pineapple Chunk (all those freebies, I felt like I ought to grow one of them).

I ended up not soaking them until this evening, because we had a freeze forecasted for last night and I couldn't get the pilot light on my furnace lit. I thought about waiting another day or two, but I checked my oven and it seemed to be warmer than the rest of my house, so in they went. Now, if I can remember not to use the thing for a bit...

I don't think I've ever smoked it before, but I can't wait to smoke it after harvest. Lol. She's still in veg right now.

How does it smell (aroma and level of)? Has it shot up like a sativa, or is it behaving itself (supposed to be 80% indica)? How long has it been growing? Does it have "preflowers" yet? If so... are they all female?

You - and everyone else - are certainly welcome.

I do not know how to choose a seed

You go to the shelter and see which one is off by itself in the corner but still manages to look cute and hopeful. No, wait... that's puppies ;) .

but i like babies

So do I - and they like me. Unfortunately, the mothers still aren't convinced :rofl:.

so i will visit your journal whenever i have time.

Stop in whenever you like. Bring your friends, lol.

i'm sure you will do great

The only sure thing in (this) life is that it has an ending. Nonetheless, I am hopeful. Hopeful that I do not attract the wrong attention, hopeful that I am able to reach the harvest, and hopeful that I experience NO HERMIES.

BtW, I don't see all that well any more, so I will most likely be using the 40:60 rule to determine harvest dates. It has worked well for me in the past (and is able to see through "breeder tricks" - such as when one cites a ridiculously early flowering time for a predominately indica strain and then labels it an "early flowering sativa"). If anyone is interested in reading about the 40:60 rule, here is a link:
The 40:60 Rule

It won the ~TS~ Barney's Farm lottery, lol. After doing far more research than I had planned on - and reading more negative reports than I've ever read about ANY breeder other than some tool named Swerve - I ended up deciding by... sticking my hand into the pouch and puling out one BF single seed pack :rolleyes3 . I looked in my hand and I'd drawn Pineapple Chunk.

So it's Kali Mist (old favorite), two Jack Herer (ditto), and Pineapple Chunk (all those freebies, I felt like I ought to grow one of them).

I ended up not soaking them until this evening, because we had a freeze forecasted for last night and I couldn't get the pilot light on my furnace lit. I thought about waiting another day or two, but I checked my oven and it seemed to be warmer than the rest of my house, so in they went. Now, if I can remember not to use the thing for a bit...

How does it smell (aroma and level of)? Has it shot up like a sativa, or is it behaving itself (supposed to be 80% indica)? How long has it been growing? Does it have "preflowers" yet? If so... are they all female?

You - and everyone else - are certainly welcome.

You go to the shelter and see which one is off by itself in the corner but still manages to look cute and hopeful. No, wait... that's puppies ;) .

So do I - and they like me. Unfortunately, the mothers still aren't convinced :rofl:.

Stop in whenever you like. Bring your friends, lol.

The only sure thing in (this) life is that it has an ending. Nonetheless, I am hopeful. Hopeful that I do not attract the wrong attention, hopeful that I am able to reach the harvest, and hopeful that I experience NO HERMIES.

BtW, I don't see all that well any more, so I will most likely be using the 40:60 rule to determine harvest dates. It has worked well for me in the past (and is able to see through "breeder tricks" - such as when one cites a ridiculously early flowering time for a predominately indica strain and then labels it an "early flowering sativa"). If anyone is interested in reading about the 40:60 rule, here is a link:
The 40:60 Rule
I snapped a couple pics of our PC plant today. Now you can compare.

6db6c5a16bac947cb66ac9fe03747dd0.jpg

e91136109c0125383c7bcfc430f242cc.jpg

d76a11eb9c7c30cb9682c7bc8a041fd8.jpg

re: Old-School & Young Blood - Grown By An Old Fart

I'll give Barney's Farm credit for this: I just checked things, and it looks like Pineapple Chunk is the first to crack - I saw about a millimeter long white tip. I added a few drops of 3% H2O2 for a quick and dirty oxygenation aid and will probably move her to her first home in the morning.

I think I see tiny rootlets venturing out of the seed-cases on ALL of them! Time to put on my Farmer Brown hat (it has a Mack truck image on it ;) ) and plant those things. WooHoo! Houston, we have... Well, not liftoff - but ignition, lol.

Welcome, folks. Not much to see as of yet. I'm not going to take pictures of cups full of dirt. Speaking of which, all four seeds germinated! I planted each one in a cup full to the brim (+/-) with a mixture of Fox Farms Happy Frog and perlite. I used Happy Frog because it's not as hot as Ocean Forrest. As it has some perlite in it already, I only used one cup of perlite to about 4¾ cups of packed dry soil. With Ocean Forrest, I'd typically mix at a ratio of one cup of perlite to three or four cups of soil. I melted five holes in the bottom of each cup with a glowing red coat hanger and watered the mix well before using my little finger to make a ¼" depression in the middle and gently placing each seed root-down (err... in theory ;) ) into it and then covering it up with some of the mix (which I'll refer to as soil since decent soil ought to have something for drainage in it). Again, I didn't take pictures. You can visualize it or go put some soil into four cups and then stare at it, lol.

It's 45°F outside and not a whole lot warmer inside, so I stuck the cups back into my oven (NOTE TO SELF: Don't turn on the oven before removing cups.) (SECOND NOTE TO SELF: Create an actual note with the contents of the first NOTE and tape it to the oven door - accidents happen.)

I had to go around Jupiter to find this

Better him than Zeus. Zeus has the disposition of a rabid wolverine, slightly less self control, and full-grown offspring are apt to spring from his forehead. Which is probably every bit as inconvenient as it sounds... when he is wearing a motorcycle helmet.

as the link in your siggy didn't work.

Apologies for that. Hopefully it is fixed now and I'll get to think up some other reason for why there aren't 32,768 subscribers yet. My bet would be on my not having taken pictures of the four cups of soil ;) .

As and when the seedlings break ground, I will move them into the seedling headquarters. That's what I call my 30-gallon aluminum trash can with a CFL or two hanging in it. This works well for the purpose, and as I cannot seem to train my cats to throw anything away, the seedlings ought to be safe in there for a week or two. I'll probably take pictures once I become a proud parent. Or when I have seedlings, whichever comes first <GRIN>.

Just a progress report: No progress.

As to be expected with the planting having happened just under 24 hours ago, but people do seem to like updates ;) .

I go now to perform the traditional "Star light, star bright, first star I see tonight" ritual and make a wish. Well... and to go buy a loaf of bread so that my baloney and mayonnaise doesn't get all over me, lol. But I'll be wishing for a safe grow that concludes in a happy harvest. Feel free to join me in that wish....

wish you a good day:circle-of-love:

And a good day to you in return, SmokeSara.

I wasn't going to check on my seeds until tomorrow, but I opened my oven door and took a peak when I returned home. And...

Making it clear why Simon named his cannabis breeding / seed producing business Serious Seeds, my Kali Mist was the first to emerge! She hasn't actually risen up and said, "Hello," to the world yet. But I saw a tiny little bit of green just even with the top of the soil. I immediately removed all four cups of soil from my oven and placed them in the pantry. Assuming that she decides to stand up and look around tomorrow, she will probably be the first star to have her picture grace the pages of this journal. Perhaps she will soon be spreading her famous "Church" incense fragrance.

Every new birth should be celebrated. I'm going to go open that bottle of Dr. Pepper that I've been saving, lol.

Back
Top Bottom