BillyBlaze22's 1st Grow - GG/GDP Tent Run In Soil

BillyBlaze22

So a while back me and a buddy were knockin back a few cold ones after work and the convo somehow worked its way to hippyhay.

We are both old motocross and midget/sprint car guys pushing 50 and medicate with cannabis to take the edge off the battle scares of our youth rather than pills and how we should grow a plant at the shop in the window ala the kid in the dorm room or more than likely one that bears a striking resemblance to Charlie Browns X Mas tree.

As I started doing research while gathering eq and reading about tent rotations and the benifit of having a prop, veg and flower tent I got my tents and lighting set up to start my first ever run. Shortly after getting fired up I saw I could make better use of my area so while doing this Grow Report I will be working on that and any input on my grow or additions/adjustments I am doing is totally welcome.

Thanks in advance for any input and advice :)

Here is the quick and dirty and if my dumass can figure it out pics to follow LOL

Current set up

Strain

GDP
GG
1 Sensi Super Skunk I had got free from a order and kinda glad i germed it to through in hehe

Envionment

1- 22x34 prop/seedling/clone tent under 1 2ft t5 with heat mat
1- 2ftx4ft Veg tent under 8 bulb 4ft t5
1- 4ftx4ft flower tent under 600watt with 6in pass through air cooling

Both Veg and Flower tent have 6in ins ducts coming from a a/c unit and 2nd 4in intake from outside entering tent at the bottom oposite side of tent as the filter is up top. 4/6in vortex fans along with carbon filters venting to outside. Pass through cooling to outside on my 600watt.

current flower temp/humidity 77/41 (I let it drop to like 68 or so at night and haven't been letting it get above 80 but can maintain it where ever if I should adjust)

Media/Nutes

1/3/5 gal smart pots

Rapid Rooter for clones/seedling/Germ

Fox Farms soil mix 50/50 Ocean Forest and Happy Frog with 30% or so Perlite and a bit of bloodmeal casting guano ect

Fox Farms liquid Trio growbig big bloom tiger bloom
Fox Farms solid trio Chaching Beasty Open Seasme
Great White
Rhizo tonic
Calmag

I use tap water that I fill a couple 5 gal buckets and leave for a day or two b4 using to get ride of the clorene and Ph @ 5.8/6

2-GG is in WK 4 of 12/12 photoperiod
1-GDP is in Wk 4
2-GDP in Wk3
1-Sensi SS in Wk3

Veg tent is overflowing right now as I sort of started prepping for next run a bit early but working on a solution to make far better use of the space and input on that stuff would be great but enuff flappin of the gums and lemme post up a few pix.

Which may take me a bit of time to sort out I am a dumass hotrod/racecar mechanic and from time to time I want to smash this infernal electronic robot machine that taunts me and my low skill level pushin buttons.

07636.JPG

Ack, that makes me look like a slob but normally my area is far cleaner and this is from when I got my 2nd tent and moving everything around

10933.JPG

152100.JPG

19525.JPG

My GF caught and chained up a Baby Godzilla in my tent to keep these pesky gnomes in check

129101.JPG

24521.JPG

20424.JPG

20023.JPG

17280.JPG

These pics are a bit behind where they are now but I need a beer and try and sort out why newer pics aren't D/L to my comp when plugged in my phone or truth is I prob had a Tomany and I sent them to the wrong folder which you can understand being how strong a Tomany is. Hell I couldn't even finish the whole thing, you have 1 Tomany and vision/judgement becomes cloudy.

Here are a few current pics of my Flower tent in Wk3 and Wk4. Being my 1st run I was fairly concerned that what I was going to end up with would be HS Football Field Clipping Grade but in the last week the tops have been filling up and starting to see signs of frostyness so I am feeling much better I will be able to justify continuing.

06256.JPG

08727.JPG

157100.JPG

144101.JPG

163100.JPG

Rowdy is fully pissed at my tent placement right in the spot his bed was and having to move 2 feet from his favorite spot just isn't sittin well and I catch him eyeballing the inside about where his bed was and can tell he is just thinking about going apeshit and clearing out a spot so he can move back in LOL.

09921.JPG

Here are a couple of closer shots. Being my first go at this it trips me out sometimes when I open my tent and they look totally different than when I closed it the night before. I am at the end of wk4 so I think I am closing in on 1/2 way through flower and if I can maintain a the pace we have been on I will be happy...

156100.JPG

155100.JPG

154100.JPG

I have just been sticking to the Feed chart from FF and their liquid and solid trios far as nutes and feeding. I just was thinking by stickign to one product line and chart while I get through a run or two and have a better handle on things I can modify.

That being said would there be any other products I should be adding or have rdy to add closer to finish? I hear ppl talking about molasses or other products toward finish. I flush every 3 or 4 weeks and at finish was going to stop nutes/flush and do 3 days dark b4 chop but that among a laundry list of other things could just turn out to be a "educational opportunity" :laughtwo:

When I got up for work this AM and took a peak inside my flower tent before lights went out a few hair had looked like they were turning color but waiting for lights to fire back up @ 7PM to get a better look.

So this is prob normal but having never done a grow before I was wondering if maybe it is a very slow transition or at what sort of pacing does the changing progress.

It is just confusing since I flipt 4/5wks ago (I split half the tent harvest a week apart just in case I get a fairly decent harvest I can see myself not being very fast trimming and will need the extra time I think) so unless I am not getting it I am finishing wk 3/4 and we do not count the first week. Even going the other way and adding a extra week none of these should be finishing for another 4-5 wks so I do not understand the change but it may be normal and just that the transition is very slow.

I am looking at changing a few things around to make better use of my area which will let me have my 4x4 tent on 12/12, change my 2x4 to 12/12 and add a 22x36 area I can rotate between flower and veg.

I think I have the eq all sorted or at least worked out to get me by for now and only need to add a light for either the 22x36 or 24x48. I have the fliter/fans/ducting blahblah all the crap cept 1 more light.

I am totally new at all this but after watching a ton of LED vids (I don't have internet and can't read or I would have read some threads on the subject ;P) I think that going that route will work best for my area and what I have to work with for the time being.

Always open to input but the area it will be used is not only tight for space but kind of a bit of run from my AC and even though I made this boss ghetto junction box/spliter for the insulated ducts going to tents to send air to one both or vent to the outside room to balance my tent enviorments. I don't think I could keep all my tents cool without a Larger AC even though I use ins ducting for ac in and hot out ducting.

I have talked to Neil @ Perfect Sun slash Growpotcheaply looking at a Perfect Sun 1k on a mover which is good for future and expanding my area but don't know if can get it far nuff above canopy to not fry my girls even with a mover as it can't move a ton inside my small enclosures or 2 Dwarf Stars could work as well. Hell he even said after 90 days can get a refund if not happy in anyways which is pretty cool IMO for someone to back their product in that fashion these days.

I would like to give the dude my bizz just for that but given what the layout of my garden area is I just think there are a couple other options that will work with my area and allow me to expand on it for when I do have a larger area to work with. I would prob grab a 1k and mover if I had more room. It sounds like I have more than I do when say 2x4 here 4x4 ect but the way it is they are kinda all split where I cant combine the 4x4 and 2x4 to have a 6x8 area which would be so much better.

I have been checking out some of the DiY deals Like Growmau and Greengeense built and just think that may be the best way to go since I could do it in stages as my area expands or can stash more cash. I am building a kinda funky Gasser and hard to dump cash into getting my Engine wrapt up to fire back in while trying to upgrade my grow at same time LOL.

Either of the set ups those cats have built or one along those lines and I could get rolling with 4 or 5 cobb set up to start then and a 2nd or 3rd kit or add on single pods that some of the kits drivers can run 1 more cobb. the way Growmau did his light I really dig and leaning that way and just starting with a smaller kit with maybe some or all the addition lights to the CoBBs like the Far Red and UV and building onto it.

If anyone has some input positive or negative I would like to hear it far as the LED/HPS pissing contest I am open but really think for where I am at right now and what I would like to do down the road a DiY or grabbing one of Neil's smaller Perfect Suns and adding a 2nd one later would work as well.

:hmmmm:

Brother, the best way to grow is what ever works best for you. You are off to an excellent start. Don't add or change anything until you need to. Tweak your setup between grows to better suit your needs. Far too often it is the grower that causes the problems, by loving the plants just a little too much.

There's a saying about LED's....don't grow trees with LEDs. Meaning other technology has better penetration. LEDs work best when you have a relatively dense, but short canopy. Like a SOG or a SCROG. In my tents I use LEDs and sidelight with CFLs because it's easier in my situation to cool them than an HPS. So I grow the plants accordingly. I've used HPS and MH in the past on other setups.

Looks good Billy. Stay the course you're on.

:thumb:

Thanks Heirloom.

The area I would be using it in is pretty much in same boat as you far as room/temp and such so I was thinking of try a SoG there under a LED or T5. I have a sickghetto set up for controlling airflow and temp from my ac to my 2 tents and room but it would be a pretty long run to reach the spot I could use and even though I use that ins ducting I really don't think I can keep another HPS/MH cool.

It just makes to much sense to make use of the area as it would increase the area I have for flower by 50% and I well errrrr kinda got ahead of myself preppin for next run and I am kinda busting at the seems with plants rdy to flower but no where to do it. I have gave away at least a couple dozen clones to friends and rec holders on Flakeslist just cuz I just didn't feel right tossing trimmings that I could make clones out of and pass them on to another.

Totally a selfish ploy on my part anyways as I was hoping it would help in my enternal struggle with that most mighty of foes Karma and every good deed Billy does goes right there into that icyhearted bitchesbank in hopes of someday I will be square and this battle will come to a end.

But ya anyways I def want to sort it out not that I am in a huge hurry or anything but Knowing hps/mh wont work it is T5 or LED pretty much I think.

Not really sure if it is a problem or signs of one developing but on my Super Skunk the upper and outer leaves look nice and healthy but the ones shaded by the large water leaves are developing well but the whole time have looked withered/kindas shriveled (I will try to get pics up here in a bit). It almost looks like they are thristy or when I let my plants dry a bit past when i would normally water to dry a bit more to trans plant but the rest of the plant looks like everything is kool and happy.

I feel like I have had this problem that I keep picking at my other plants defoliating the larger leafs that block off light to the developing kolas so fighting ever urge in my soul to chop off these water leafs or maybe trim them down to about half their size kinda like I have been doing the leafs when I clone would be a good idea. What I have been trying to do with it is I work the large leaves around the kolas and tie them up together xposing the under growth by gathering the outter growth and tying them up for several hours a day.

As a 1st time grower there is so much crap out there far as defoliate/don't defoliate blahblahblah it is very hard to sort out a happy median between the two. That and it being like opening a kickass bag of potato chips it is very hard to have the self control to not pick any off or pick just one or two there LOL. I am sure those of you that have been growing for a length of time or been on the forums for any length of time have gone through this topic to the point of nauseam.

I know you will need pics to give any real feedback and i will get some up soon as I can but I totally suck and verrry slow in the whole photo uploading thing hehe

I don't think it is a overwatering deal, I had my issues earlier learning about how much/little on water and now even have a huge note to myself above my water resivor on my calender to stop overwatering just to keep reminding myself.

Thanx Heirloom.

When I say defoliate I may be using to strong a term I am not really sure LOL. I don't like stip them down like some of the videos I have seen and that may be what it sounds like.

What I have been doing and to your point doing a bit more than I think I should, is if a large leaf is say blocking off a large area and by removing it would let light get to that area I have been lopping it off, doing that here and there. I haven't been doing like a strip it down kinda deal other than the very small stuff at the bottom and inner part of the plant I clean up like a week before I put them into 12/12.

Here are a few pics of that SS and maybe you can see what I was talking about how the branches coming up are budding but the leaves all along those branches just look... I don't know man like withered/weak/plain not right yet the overall plant seems to be ok?

0121181.JPG

016800.JPG

015861.JPG

014957.JPG

0131063.JPG

I have been gathering the large leaves, feeding the undergrowth around them to expose them to light, and tying them in a bunch.

You can kinda see I just took the ties off from the upper part and how the upper large leaves are praying hard or something. The plant seems to be doing ok but that inner stuff just looks super whimpy in compairison and was wanting to make sure this is not a sign of a problem starting and could take care of it before it progresses or if there was some nutes to add to maximize its potential or if in fact it is totally fine and I am just trippin

Thanks for any thoughts on it man

OK, you're looking good. I had envisioned naked ladies. Typically if an area is too dense I will select a redundant leaf or two, or even just clip a finger off or shorten it some. Anything overlapping gets attention. Just want to keep good airflow and let a little light below.

Looking good brother.

Here is one of the inner leaves and what I was talking about how they look to me as if they just are not happy. The outter leaves are fat and plump just lookin boss but everything inside is like this. Buds are forming and plant seems good just was wondering why they look wimpy and if I should do anything about it.

025378.JPG

Like if that was what my outter leaves looked like I would think the plant was not doing well. Hell I don't know but I better get my ass off to work my boss is a dick.

Might think about backing off which ever product you're using that has a lot of Nitrogen. It looks pretty dark green, and maybe has a little bit of a 'claw' thing going on.

Don't pluck them until the plant has use up it's stored nutrients and sugars out of the leaf and it is clearly done, hanging limp. They are not just factories. They are store houses too. Many strains feed off those lower larger leaves later in flower. You may be stealing their lunch so to speak.

Cool thanx. I am just using the fox farms liquid trio and the solid 3 part and think that Grow Big was the one I would cut back on and think I am spose to cut that in half next feeding or maybe was end of week 5 but I will check.

How often should I be flushing? Aside from doing it to correct a problem. I flushed like 5 days before changing photo periods and then again at like week 6-6.5 or something if a "8 week finish" or watch tri color and base off of color change. Just wondering how often ppl flush or if most do at flip and at finish.

Seems like everything is pretty cool and happy but is tuff to judge if growing slow/fast since my 1st go round but almost feel like I should have maybe flushed about 2 weeks ago and the last week or so growth rate would be a bit stronger but wtf do I know LOL

So I moved a few things around to open a 30x58 area and am looking at LED's.

I have been looking at the Perfect Sun Dwarf Star or one of the DIY kits along the lines of what Growmau built and my thoughts were I could put together a 5 CoBB set up (adding the add lights he has) and can build on that or build a 10 CoBB to replace the light in my 4x4 later or do a Perfect Sun 1K in there with a mover.

I see Timber is doing a semi pre built set up that is along same lines I could build but have not looked to see if they are using top bin ect but that may be a way I could go as well.

I was thinking about grabbing a mover for whatever I pick up or if I went with one of the DiY set ups I was going to make them modular so I may not need a mover but depending on costs of what I end up on I still think I may pick one up.

One of the things that kinda makes me want to go the DiY route is just that fact that I since I was 13 I have been building sprint cars hot rods and race cars so I have this thing about wanting to "tinker" with shit (just ask the 1st couple plants i got and me pickin at them until I got that out of my system) and think it would be fun to do but some of the ones built are so nice it is almost like why do that right now when I could just buy one and fire it up.

I am sure there are a lot of other options that would work for what I want to do, like maybe some of the newer Mars or others, so anyone that is or has ran some LED set ups feel free to gimmie your thoughts. I was trying to come in around $500, or less of course so I would not have to sacrifice beer $ for the next 6 months LOL.

Thanks for the input it is just so dam hard to go through all the good/bad/bullshit on the web on any subject but it seems like this along with the whole auto flower subject as well, is very divided on opinions.

As someone just getting going and researching this stuff it almost seems to me that anyone that has tried either of those 5+ yrs ago say both are total shit and almost seem to have a pre conceived notion that they are all crap even with the changes they have undergone in that time. Those that have gave the newer stuff a shot seem to be for the most part happy with either and have had good results.

So I moved a few things around to open a 30x58 area and am looking at LED's.

I have been looking at the Perfect Sun Dwarf Star or one of the DIY kits along the lines of what Growmau built and my thoughts were I could put together a 5 CoBB set up (adding the add lights he has) and can build on that or build a 10 CoBB to replace the light in my 4x4 later or do a Perfect Sun 1K in there with a mover.

I see Timber is doing a semi pre built set up that is along same lines I could build but have not looked to see if they are using top bin ect but that may be a way I could go as well.

I was thinking about grabbing a mover for whatever I pick up or if I went with one of the DiY set ups I was going to make them modular so I may not need a mover but depending on costs of what I end up on I still think I may pick one up.

One of the things that kinda makes me want to go the DiY route is just that fact that I since I was 13 I have been building sprint cars hot rods and race cars so I have this thing about wanting to "tinker" with shit (just ask the 1st couple plants i got and me pickin at them until I got that out of my system) and think it would be fun to do but some of the ones built are so nice it is almost like why do that right now when I could just buy one and fire it up.

I am sure there are a lot of other options that would work for what I want to do, like maybe some of the newer Mars or others, so anyone that is or has ran some LED set ups feel free to gimmie your thoughts. I was trying to come in around $500, or less of course so I would not have to sacrifice beer $ for the next 6 months LOL.

Thanks for the input it is just so dam hard to go through all the good/bad/bullshit on the web on any subject but it seems like this along with the whole auto flower subject as well, is very divided on opinions.

As someone just getting going and researching this stuff it almost seems to me that anyone that has tried either of those 5+ yrs ago say both are total shit and almost seem to have a pre conceived notion that they are all crap even with the changes they have undergone in that time. Those that have gave the newer stuff a shot seem to be for the most part happy with either and have had good results.

Hi BillyBlaze22,

Dan from Timber Grow Lights - just wanted to chime in and mention that we only use top bin CXB3590 LEDs. We currently offer 3500k CD bin and 4000k DB bin CXB3590 color temp choice.

If you or anyone else has additional questions, please feel free to send us a PM, email or chat.

Best Regards,
Dan

Hey Dan thanks for stopping in man. I will hit you up with a email, I have to talk more for them to unlock PM's for me or something LOL.

I put some 4 bulb T5 and 2 bulb LED in these upper and lower areas and moved my Prop/Seedling enclosure in my sorting out things to make better use of my area and now should be fairly dialed for when I get my other light.

025379.JPG

Everything seems to be doing well with my flower tent and starting to get more stickier by the day :)

027320.JPG

030266.JPG

031255.JPG

032230.JPG

The Super Skunk looks like it is going to have a nice sized Bud from the main Koala if it keeps building up at the rate it has.

028323.JPG

029289.JPG

I put a couple GG in my flower tent and flipping my 2x4 to flower in 2 or 3 more days just to give the other 4 that I had x planted a few days later than those time to kinda be on same page or whatever. No idea if it even mattered or not but figured it couldn't hurt hehe. I just kinda had to do something as my Veg tent was overflowing with those GG and I have 2 GDP that i will move to take the place of the 2 GG I just moved.

023417.JPG

026352.JPG

Camera work leaves a bit to be desired but i got "overserved" last night. I was clearly drunk and should have been cut off so i put it on the chick behind the bar not my less than powerful self control :p

Back
Top Bottom