Buren's First Hydro Grow: Blue Mystic, 2016

buren

Hi all!

I've been around for about half a year now, and after 4 months I got my set up. Two more months after I am finally proud to say I can start my grow! I started a few days ago but I figured I should start a journal since I got a lot of help here :thumb:

My setup is a 4x4x7 grow tent, with an 8" inline fan for exhaust and a 8" duct booster for intake (connected to a dust shroom since I have cats). They're both hooked to an inkbird thermostat so they both turn on when temperature is too high. Inside the tent I have a tower oscillating fan to circulate air and the intake fan should help as well, if not I have a desktop oscillating fan to add if necessary. For lights I have 3 Mars600 tied on ratchets, the plugs for all 3 lights are then connected to one timer. I think that's about it for the setup? If I miss anything feel free to ask!

Now for my grow medium, I am starting with seeds and using a germination/cloning station as well as rapid rooters. I will transfer the medium to my 4+1 5-gallon rDWC system with clay pellets when they're ready. For nutes I will be using GH's Trio and hydroguard. I plan on buying distilled water to grow with, but I will check ph and ppm as well.
RqH4JQB_-_Imgur.jpg

I am thinking of using the mani-folding or main-lining technique since I have about 5 feet of grow space, I have yo-yo to support if needed. Oh and I plan on flushing before harvest so with taller plants and flush I think it'll take about 5 months til I get the final product? Well, so far that's all in my head anyways since I'll have to see as my plants grow but for now let me bring you up to speed!

12/4/16 (around 6pm) Day 0- seeds planted into rapid rooters and placed inside germination station. using inkbird to heat mat (set value 25~29 C). I added distilled drinking water to starters because they felt dry, and I drained off anything that ran off.
12/5/16 (around 4pm) Day 1- excited to see that one of the seeds have cracked it's shell, the waiting game continues.
12/6/17 (around 11pm) Day 2- yaye! 4/5 seeds look good so far, moisture and temperature still good
12/7/16 (around 11pm) Day 3- My babies are coming along nicely :). All 5 seeds sprouted and leaves are showing. I took off the dome and am only using 1 of the LEDs on 18/6 about 28" away. I kept the heat mat but it'll only turn on when temperature drop below 75F and the fans are now on when temp is above 81F.
12/8/16 (around 12pm) Day 4- Everything looks good, all have shown their cotyledons and are smiling at me. I checked up on them early today since I have dark period from 12pm to 6pm. So I won't be able to check on them until tonight. I am a little worried if they're stretching, but I was told I would know if they are. For now, some pictures!

1VyGaEC_-_Imgur.jpg
yGhaVH5_-_Imgur.jpg

Waiting on root to start showing on the sides too then I'll transplant them into my 5-gallon buckets and then I'll have all 3 LEDs on.

Not sure if any is reading this... but the journal is more for me anyways!

Didn't update at all since not much happened. I transplanted the plugs into the rDWC system last night since roots are showing out the sides (1 week after I started). Turned on all 3 LED lights on 18/6 with thermostat kept at 78F, oscilating tower fan is also on and gives a nice breeze to all the babies :) Only feeding pH'd water at the moment, will start nutes and hydroguard when 3 full sets of leaves show on a phasic schedule. Here's a picture for now!

rd470db_-_Imgur.jpg

P.S. I left the extra clay pellet that are already washed sitting in there so it stays clean and I can use whenever. The wire hanging down the middle is the probe for the thermostat. The solo cup holds the 5th plug which I will be giving away or trash :(

Problem: my buckets seems to be leaking, like I woke up to two puddles inside. Checked the water level and it doesn't seem to have dropped (weird...). Will just leave it for now since it doesn't seem to affect much, not that I can really do much anyways with all the buckets filled. I made sure anything that can come into contact with the water is plastic (and the pot holding the clay pellets), as well as nothing electrical. I will try to fix it when I change the reservoir at transition to flower.

I'm in! Everything looks really well thought out its going to be an awsome grow. I started following along yesterday at work, but the owner came in, so I had to pocket my phone quickly before I could say hi to you.

I'm in! Everything looks really well thought out its going to be an awsome grow. I started following along yesterday at work, but the owner came in, so I had to pocket my phone quickly before I could say hi to you.

Sorry for the late reply! :thanks:for following and :welcome:

Hopefully I didn't get you in any trouble at all ;)

Thank you all for following! If I didn't thank you personally I am sorry but know that my intention is there :thanks:

So, during these last 3 days, I managed to fix the leaks :bravo:

However, I think either the lights were too close or the temperature is too hot so a little curling happened to one of my babies :(

3ecdb473d59c4d7da6050fceea12f3dd.jpg

So I moved the lights up from 25-26" to 29-30" away and I lowered the temperature range to 75-79. I also added some support under the leafs hoping to train them back straight so we'll see.

Other than that... they absolutely look beautiful. I'm a straight male but...
d0f09ced45af483a8b480fc2d9321595.jpg

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Glad you fixed your leaks, I found one last night after my rdwc had been running for a week fine. Had to completely drain and fix...sigh.

Oh no! I found out my bottom tubing was the reason, I got lucky and fixed it with just zip ties. I haven't started any nutes yet so I just had to refill my reservoir. Don't fret! It's all for your babies and they'll repay your hard work with dank buds :thumb:

Sorry for the hiatus, I've been busy with work and tackling issues.

First, I mentioned that my babies were drooping and yellowing. I thought it was heat and light distance at first, but turns out I was over-watering them. So I lowered the water level to just touching or a little below the medium hopefully the roots can stretch, apx 1 inch from bottom of net pot. I also started them on nutes with GH Trio each 2.5ml/gl, as well as 5ml/gal with hydroguard. The tops now look much better after two days, so hopefully they'll stay healthy. I am nervous though since I haven't seen any roots outside of the net pot yet... Anyways for now, some more pics! I was notified that my disco lights don't help with diagnosis so I've decided to take pictures without the lights on.

20161221_094523.jpg
20161221_094538.jpg
20161221_094546.jpg
20161221_094602.jpg
20161221_094634.jpg

Half way update:

So my girls are growing nice and big! except one seems a little slow but the top looks good
20161221_094634.jpg

20161223_172233_resized.jpg

Sunday I'm doing phase 2 feeding so I look forward to them getting bigger and bigger, but for now some update pictures!

20161223_172325_resized.jpg
20161223_172243_resized.jpg
20161223_172229_resized.jpg
20161223_172205_resized.jpg
20161223_172153_resized.jpg
20161223_172119_resized.jpg
20161223_172108_resized.jpg
20161221_094546.jpg
20161221_094523.jpg

Alright update time, started full strength nutes and they seem to be taking it well since growth has been booming!

20161228_105618.jpg
20161228_105611.jpg
20161228_105550.jpg

One of them seem to have a little defect, hopefully it's not a problem!
20161228_105438.jpg

It does seem they are a little heat stressed, or the fan is too strong cause they're curling up a little. Still, it's only a few leaves so I'll wait and see. Can't wait to start training them!

Back
Top Bottom