NY Diesel in SF. my first grow!

maryjah

Hi guys, this is my very first grow! Thanks for checking it out! Any advice you have would be awesome, too, and hopefully my grows will get better and better. I'm still trying to get the hang of cloning, etc., and my space is somewhat limited, but I'm super happy w/how they are turning out so far.

My two lovely ladies, both NYC Diesel, have been growing in my closet (in 3 gallon pots) since mid-June and should be ready to harvest by Halloween (maybe sooner!) They look beautiful. I'm so proud of them ;)

I'm using soil, just regular potting soil from Safeway, but I veged them with liquid karma nutrients and now I have a few other supplements (I'll have to check on their names)... I'm using these new LED lights from Haight Solid State - I did veg with the PPF400 and am flowering with the PPF800, which is supposed to be an 800W HPS replacement. I know a lot of people are still skeptical about how well LEDs can grow, but these are turning out to be great and my power bill so far hasn't been much higher than before I started.

Right now I'm in the 4th week of flowering.. Check them out... nommmm :)

allgrowedup009.jpg

allgrowedup005.jpg

allgrowedup003.jpg

allgrowedup014.jpg

the beer bottle is to give an idea of how tall they are now... they really shot up during the 2nd week of flower. I'd say they are about 3.5' now

allgrowedup001.jpg

I do wish they were a little bushier up top, but I think this is a damn good job for my first time! I could have trimmed them a little more and earlier, but I was hesitant to do too much.

Anyway here are some baby pics. Or really, awkward adolescent photos. The first are just before starting flower, about 7-8 weeks into veg. I could have started flowering them at about 6 weeks, cuz these guys really spurted up. It's a little hard to tell from the pic, but they are about 2 feet tall here.
orangemelange002.jpg

This is 5 weeks into veg. The first pic is just to get a sense of how tall they were, and the last is from the top, looking down at the canopy.
orangemelange003.jpg

orangemelange005.jpg

orangemelange007.jpg

:clap:Those pics with the LED on are the coolest!!! The first one blow my mind thought it was a stain I never saw before! Great to see a LED grow... very interesting to all growers! The Haight Solid State seem to be ahead of them all! Best of luck. Watching with eyes wide open.:yikes: :goodjob:

Welcome to 420 the ladies look good what planet are they from oh my bad that's the LED's best of luck

Nice grow!! cant wait to start my real grow session. all i have right now is a bag bean in 24hr veg while away at work. its under 2 ufo one sunshine system and the other is from LEDWholesalers.

Keep the grows growing

:welcome:

Nothing beats the excitement that a first time grower gets watching girls as lovely as yours develop into such beautiful buds. Congrat's! I too will be looking forward to seeing the progress of your grow:goodjob:

These are from last night, about 6.5 weeks into flower. I can't wait til they are ready! I'm really happy! I never thought I'd have such great results my first time :slide: They are getting heavy w/buds so I will have to do something to get them to stay upright. I guess that's a good problem to have though :smokin:

week_6_5_020.JPG
week_6_5_008.JPG
week_6_5_024.JPG

(Heh, so that dress isn't normally that close to the plants; I have a reflective box set up but I moved it out of the way to get better pics. I'm working with a 2x3 closet)

Is this the flowering plant you are talking About? It is common for a late flowering plant to turn it's bigger fan leaves yellow. Can you take pics away from the LED on what you are talking about?

Welcome and congrats on your first grow, maryjah. Always good to see more women growing as well (and manufacturing LED's now, like Cammie from HGL!).

Pure Sativas can be a challenge to grow indoors, and buds tend to be lighter and airy compared with indica hybrids, but for those who like 'em, they're definitely worth it.

A few notes:

• I notice the HSS website (in the FAQ) recommends the PPF-400 for your size space, stating that anything smaller than 32x32in (i.e. 1024 sq. in) results in stunted growth from too much light using the -800. You're in 864 in. (24x36). So it's quite possible the PPF-800 you're using is overkill for your space.

One way to test that is to replace the 800 with the 400 for a few days and see how your plant responds; alternately, flip the switch on the 800 to the 'low' power setting and do the same (or raise the light if possible). Though perhaps with the height you have, it's ok - the inverse square law still applies, and a lot of the intensity is probably going unused (by the lower parts of your plant, at least).

• To increase yield in the future, you might want to consider doing some low stress training (LST) and keep the plant from spreading upwards so much vertically. You'll get more bud sites closer to the light, more uniformity, and the lower buds will get a lot bigger. I'm used to ScrOG, but that could get tricky with a pure Sativa...

If you like soil, stick with it - but if you want to get even better results, consider a bubbler. They're relatively cheap, easy to care for, and are a great intro to hydro. Switching is like going from a Honda to a BMW.... :)

These Haight lights have a 140 degree viewing angle, making me think these could be very good for a scrog setup. Keep them close to the canopy and generate a forest of buds all at the same height...

Anyway, good luck with your grow!

Cheers,

-TL

Thanks for your help guys!!! I really appreciate it. My camera's been acting weird, but I hope to have some more pics up tonight.

One of the flowering plants is losing its fan leaves, it looks like it is just sucking all the nutes out of it or something because the rest of the plant looks really good. The buds are building up... And the other plant under the same light looks good; it still has all its leaves. I'll post pics soon so you can see what I'm talking about.

My closet space was just an estimate; I'll measure it when I get home so I can be more precise in my description of my setup.

I'll definitely look into trimming more on my next grow, which is just starting! I'll set up a new blog soon.

Again THANKS for your help - you guys are the shit. Really :cheer: I love this board

Back
Top Bottom