Illest's Stealth Bagseed Grow - 2010

illest

Intro

About 5 days ago, I decided to germinate (paper towel) some bagseed I collected from a quarter of regs. Half the seeds collected are garbage, but I felt I'd be lucky to have any seeds that I'd even put in the time to germinate. Of the 5 seeds I've started, 2 have taproots. One about a half inch long now, and the other about a quarter of an inch. So, here's to hoping at least one is female.

I know I'm not exactly getting the best start using bagseed, and to make things even more difficult, I'm doing a PC case grow. I need to be stealth, as I have a landlord. I know everything that can be said about both ( hermie seeds, all the effort for an eigth, etc ) but I'm still going to try it, and I'm going to put as much as I can into it. This is really a trial run to see if I can actually harvest anything at all - I know it's not rocket science, but I've never grown anything in my life at all, save for a little unknown plant in kindergarten. I happened to grow the tallest plant in the classroom though. I'm also doing this on a budget, I'll put the money into soil and nutes, but everything else I'm going to try and spend as little as possible. The computer case is free, as I have some old ones. I already bought the FFOF. I'll buy an emergency blanket to line the PC case. I'll buy two CFL's, I'm not sure what the price is for those, I should have fans for intake and exhaust.

Info

Strain? Unknown bagseed
Indica/Sativa? Unknown.
Veg or Flower? Seedling
Indoor or Outdoor? Indoor
Soil or Hydro? Soil
If soil, what is in your mix? FFOF. Will get FF nutes
If soil, what pot size? Not sure yet, will probably be something really small.

Okay, so I medicated... for the last two days. Some really excellent nugs that are a bright, but dark shade of green I've never in my life seen before. Apparently, I forgot to post this. So - after reading DFW-Guy's grow journal, I've decided that I'm likely going to out grow a PC case, and I'll have to transfer my setup later. I'm still decided if I should ScrOG or LST. I'll be topping each of my plants (2) twice, each.

So - where I'm at right now. I put my seed in a cup of straight FFOF. I had to get the seedling in something, it'd been showing taproot for a couple of days before I got it in dirt. And when digging around in the cup, I moved the seedling around a bit, so I repositioned it. I may have also overwatered the soil, so I'm going to leave it alone for a bit. It's sitting out in the sun right now, until I go and get a CFL and some other stuff for the time being. I will be buying stuff as I need it, which sucks, but budget is the keyword.

Thanks guys. Pics to come, if I get anything relevant to take a picture of. Also, I have a lot more seeds that could sprout, maybe. So if I fail with these two, I'll keep trying and update accordingly.

Update: Day 2

Apparently lighting shops are closed on Sundays. Couldn't find any lights in the 6500K range. Best I could do was 4100K with like 14-watts. Or higher watts, but lower lumens. So, I decided to wait for today to buy anything. Wally World and HD had nothing. It would have been perfect if I was flowering. I'm just going by the, "use 6500K" for veg rule I see on here all the time. I popped off one of the lights I had around the house, put it in an office lamp, and have my seedlings under that. I do have growth in the first seedling I planted, nothing on the second, but the second hadn't taprooted until 2 days later or so.

Going to the store today, to pick a light.

Update: Day 3

Gutted the PC case, mostly. Got it lined with an emergency blanket. Purchased two adapters for my lights to be run off a plug. The seedlings are growing. The first seedling I planted "Plant One" is starting to show a little green, and maybe the beginning of some leafs. Seems to be growing a tad bit funny however. The other plant "Plant Two" is growing a bit slowly, but it's getting there. Both have been under a proper light for a little more than 24 hours. I didn't have the chords I needed to plug in the lights, so I'll be getting those tomorrow, to fully enclose my case (I have a lamp on them right now.) I have run into some problems with using a 12v AV to DC adapter and computer fans. I did buy them used and really cheap (trying to keep cost low) will be popping by Radio Shack to purchase new fans and a proper adapter. Will be taking pics of everything tomorrow.

hey bud, for my first time i had 3 CFLs that were 200w replacements, 4200 lumens and 4100k for Veg. admittedly they are not the ideal CFLs for vegging, but they do indeed work. they cost me about 15.99 each at a hardware store. i had a bit more room to work with than you will, but they should still work.
for flowering i added 4 CFLs that were 2700k (and were less expensive than the 4100k's).

good luck to you! i'll be checking back to see how it turns out :grinjoint:

Update: Day 4

Both plants have experienced some growth. I see some tiny little baby leafs coming out of Plant One. Plant Two is growing strong - really surprising. Just purchased FFGB and FFBB. Going to read a bit more, but I figure they'll get their first taste of nutes' here today. Or may wait for the morning. Not sure yet. I'm going to finish up the pc case today hopefully. At least get the lights in the case so I can close it up.

I've got some reading to do. Look for pictures a little later tonight.

After doing a bit of reading, I have the following questions:

Is it too early to start feeding?
Should I start watering, or keep misting?

I'll probably keep reading, and answer my own questions but feel free to throw ideas at me.

hold off on the nutes til week 2 or 3 imo. the soil should be enough for those babies. Water when they need it. it will start looking wilty and sad.

also i'd invest in FF tiger bloom.. and if possible Open Sesame, Beastie Bloomz, and Cha Ching, all by fox farm ;)

hold off on the nutes til week 2 or 3 imo. the soil should be enough for those babies. Water when they need it. it will start looking wilty and sad.

also i'd invest in FF tiger bloom.. and if possible Open Sesame, Beastie Bloomz, and Cha Ching, all by fox farm ;)

I'm going to get FF TB, but not until I need to use it that week. I'd love to get OS, BB, CC, and the Sledgehammer, just gotta see what my budget will be when those nutes are to be added.

Beyond nutes, I'm having trouble mounting my lights. The glue isn't high temp enough and keeps becoming pliable when the case gets closed. The case is running at around 86F when closed and lights are on. And running at 71F when lights are off. I know the plants can handle 24-hour lighting, but I think I'm going to start with 18/6 - I had to last night, as it was 2am when I found my lights hanging and was on my way to bed. HOPEFULLY, pictures today.

hey bud, i dunno what glue your using, but it doesnt sound friendly. i purchase these things that i can clamp on to a home made shelf, or tie them above the ladies so that nothing is at risk to melt, but i cant recall their actual name. theres a pic of what im talking about in GMT's grow journal (Second Grow - Michigan Medical Marijuana - 2009) 3rd post, 3'rd pic (i think).

they shouldnt be all that expensive at all, and will help with directing light too.

I've got the lights kind of rigged up right now. I put a piece of wrapped up cardbord to hold the lights up. Honestly, when I germinated the seeds, I didn't expect any of them to sprout. A few days later, i had two sprouts. Plant Two died, not sure what went wrong, but I may have transplanted too early. Not a big deal, I've got another germing in soil - hopefully I get something, if not no biggie. I'm not really all that worried about losing bagseed seeds. I've already learned quite a bit since I've started, about the construction of a PC case. I'm going to approach it very differently next time. Next time, I should have a bit more of a budget. I'm not giving up on this one though.

Update: Day 7

Plant One seems to be doing okay. It has its first set of leafs, and the round leafs that come out before the true leafs come out have a bit of spotting, and are a tad yellow on the edges. I let the plant get pretty dry, and I watered it this morning. It hasn't really moved much in the last couple of days, which worries me a little. Though I am getting a little stem growth I guess, just figured I'd have more sets of leafs by now.

Finally have some pics to show:

104304.jpg
This is the side of my PC case. Wrapped in an emergency blanket, lights somewhat stable, and I'm using CD spindles to hold the plant closer to the light. No intake/exhaust yet, the room is fairly cold, and the plant sits around the mid-80's during the day, and 60-70's at night. Will be getting fans of some sort, soon.​

104318.jpg

This is the front of the growbox, next to my computer. Yes, that's what my computer looks like. Can't find the front of it to save my life. But it's fairly stealth, save for the FF Grow Big and Big Bloom on top of the grow box.

104334.jpg

This is my plant. At 7 days I expected more, but I'm fairly inexperienced, and was just misting the top of the soil for about 4 days. I gave it a proper water today, so hopefully it'll perk back up. I know the picture doesn't show much, but I'm hoping to get some more responses/feedback with pictures.

hey bud, dont worry about the size yet. at 7 days they are still babies. once you start feeding them nutes they should take off. a lil bottle of Superthrive can go a long way ;)

Update: Day 8

So, a little water did one hell of a job. The plant must have doubled in height. I know with my limited amount of space, I really don't want that, but any sign of growth made me realize that this isn't rocket science, and I am capable of harvesting at least a little something.

The box also had its first test of being stealth. Details not important, but it passed. Now, I'm getting really stoked.

hey bud, dont worry about the size yet. at 7 days they are still babies. once you start feeding them nutes they should take off. a lil bottle of Superthrive can go a long way ;)

Is Superthrive organic? I looked it up, seems like some amazing stuff. I just couldn't confirm if it is organic or not. Plus, I want to have a baseline yield of FF: Ocean Forest, Big Bloom, Grow Big and Tiger Bloom.

I'm sure I'll get better with experience, but the next go-around I'll add Open Sesame, Cha Ching, and Beastie Bloomz along with Sledgehammer. I'll also use some genetics of some sort next time as well.

Oh and thanks for replying in my journal. It's been much better to have someone to give words of advice.

Is Superthrive organic? I looked it up, seems like some amazing stuff. I just couldn't confirm if it is organic or not. Plus, I want to have a baseline yield of FF: Ocean Forest, Big Bloom, Grow Big and Tiger Bloom.
Superthrive works well during veg. and at transplanting of plants. Also the first week of flower. I don't believe it is organic. :peace:

Update: Day 11

Plant One has a new set of leafs. I noticed a little something a couple days ago, and was like, "Huh, look at that little thing between my leafs." Two days later it's another set of leafs. Very stoked. I've been giving a little water about every other day, and the plant looks pretty healthy. Temperature has hovered around the middle-80's, with 24 hour lighting. I'm still going back and forth about adding nutes or not. I'm thinking maybe I'll start watering at 1/4th strength, but I dunno. I've seen plenty of successful journals that didn't add any nutes until flowering. I'll start feeding after the fourth set of leafs come out though.

I have another little seedling, the one I started in dirt about a week ago. Just check on it today, and it has a nice looking taproot. I put it in the case, so hopefully it'll break ground soon. I'm hoping it does so in the next week, so it won't be behind Plant One. I have named this seedling Plant Three. Very creative.

Pics, soon.

I'm sure I'll get better with experience, but the next go-around I'll add Open Sesame, Cha Ching, and Beastie Bloomz along with Sledgehammer. I'll also use some genetics of some sort next time as well.

first let me just say that i've had good experiences with OS, BB, and CC. i also use Big/Tiger Bloom, and Grow Big and the FFOF soil, and i'm very happy so far, except for some PH issues that i get about 4-5 weeks into flowering due to sphaguna (forgive my spelling) moss. what is the sledge hammer for/do?

i dunno if superthrive is organic or not, as the packaging is vague, i use it a bit after transplants and during veg. got this from the web (wiki i think):
SUPERthrive is a WARF testing lab certified non-toxic liquid concentrated growth enhancer product for plants, which has been available since 1940. It contains ".09% Vitamin B1, .048% 1-Napthyl acetic acid",[1] with a total of dissolved solids of approximately 25%, which, according to some labeling, may include some 50 compounds of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen normally produced by plants under ideal conditions and time. [2]

The packaging says that it should be included in the normal fertilizing program to improve some 50 phases of horticulture. The packaging does not claim to have any N-P-K (macro-nutrient fertilizer) or trace minerals.

The hormone 1-Naphthyl acetic acid (NAA) does not occur naturally. Under the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA), products containing NAA require registration with the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) as pesticides. The sale of Superthrive is prohibited in Oklahoma, Minnesota, and Oregon as an unregistered pesticide.

Uses include transplanting, reviving, and general strengthening of growth of trees and other plants.

The SUPERthrive product has many adherents, not only professional horticulturalists, but, according to its packaging: "US Departments of Agriculture, Army, Navy; states, cities,[3] counties,[4] universities."

SUPERthrive was developed by Dr. John A. A. Thomson, now 97 years old and still at work. In 2006, he was the first chemist to receive the National Lawn & Garden Marketing & Distribution Association's Lifetime Achievement Award.

(^^was definitely from Wiki)

Okay - freaking out right now. My dog bumped the desk my grow-PC is sitting on. When I come to check on the plant, one of the CFL's was sitting in pot Plant One is in. The bigger leafs are twisting (one is standing up, the other is pointing down ) and the second set of leafs are standing straight up. There is some discoloration, the leafs turned brown.

I don't know what to do. My wife suggested watering the plant, and misting the leafs, turning the light off for a bit. I think I should just let it keep going and it will fix itself. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

202403.jpg

Update: Day 12

So, I left Plant One under the light last night, looks worse this morning. So, I gave it a little water, and spritzed it with a little water, and I'll leave it out of the light for 8 hours, then put it back under the light if it's looking any better.

Plant Three (I'll pick some real names today) shot up last night. I didn't even see it break the dirt at all yesterday, and after being under the light for half the day yesterday, and overnight it's taller than Plant One. It was a bit far from the light, I've moved it closer since, but it's looking good.

I would still appreciate any advice anyone can give me on Plant One.

IF you break a CFL in a soil grow, more times than not, the mercury can kill the plant.

I'm sorry, it is a wait and see game now.

IF YOU BREAK A BULB...
1) Open a window before cleaning up, and turn off any forced-air heating or air conditioning.

2) Instead of sweeping or vacuuming, which can spread the mercury around, scoop up the glass fragments and powder. Use sticky tape to pick up remaining glass fragments or powder. Wipe the area clean with a damp paper towel or wet wipes.

3) Dispose of the broken bulb through your local household hazardous waste program or recycling program. If that service is unavailable in your area, place all clean-up materials in a trash container outside the building.

4) Wash your hands after cleaning up.

5) If vacuuming is needed afterwards, when all visible materials have been removed, vacuum the area and dispose of the vacuum bag in a sealed plastic bag. For the next few times you vacuum, turn off any forced-air heating or air conditioning and open a window before doing so.

This is a copy andf paste from a newsletter I get.

IF you break a CFL in a soil grow, more times than not, the mercury can kill the plant.

I'm sorry, it is a wait and see game now.

IF YOU BREAK A BULB...
1) Open a window before cleaning up, and turn off any forced-air heating or air conditioning.

2) Instead of sweeping or vacuuming, which can spread the mercury around, scoop up the glass fragments and powder. Use sticky tape to pick up remaining glass fragments or powder. Wipe the area clean with a damp paper towel or wet wipes.

3) Dispose of the broken bulb through your local household hazardous waste program or recycling program. If that service is unavailable in your area, place all clean-up materials in a trash container outside the building.

4) Wash your hands after cleaning up.

5) If vacuuming is needed afterwards, when all visible materials have been removed, vacuum the area and dispose of the vacuum bag in a sealed plastic bag. For the next few times you vacuum, turn off any forced-air heating or air conditioning and open a window before doing so.

This is a copy andf paste from a newsletter I get.

I'm sorry, I should have been a little more specific. The CFL is whole, the whole bulb was in the pot, the plant was between the... coils. It's resting for a bit, I'll check on it when I put it back under light. So - no broken bulb or mercury to worry about.

hey bud, sorry to hear about that CFL. luckily, these babies are extremely persistent growers. just give it tender loving care (and some superthrive!) and things should hopefully perk back up.

if you see new growth on that one in a couple days its a good sign, hopefully at worst you just stunted her growth a bit.

Back
Top Bottom