Dwc

Which strain next?

• Total voters

Retired One

420 Member
My very first journal was an overly ambitious DWC grow. Tried to do more than the equipment would allow. In other words, rookie mistake. Still got a nice yield, but it could have been better.

That was about a year ago and alot has changed. Went back to soil, my background was all outdoor growing, which I understood alot better, but I kept playing around with DWC stuff downstairs until one day the light came on and I got it...sort of.

Anyone interested in hydroponic growing has surely found there way to The Viper's Nest, and I'm no exception. I spent some time in conversation with Pit, and he introduced me to his supplier. At the time, the H&G line was not available in my neck of the woods, so I ordered from him which ended up being the best thing that's happened to me with regard to where I purchase my supplies. He offers highly competitive prices and customer service second to none. I've since made a second large order from him and a third is in the works. Now these nutrients are not cheap, cost me $530 delivered to my little dirt road portion of the world, but they are no more expensive than any high end nutrient/supplement line.

So with the complete nutrient/supplement line purchased,

100_20352.jpg

I've brought two of my DWC buckets up from downstairs for the grow. The initial plan was to grow Violator Kush to mimic Pit's grow as closely as possible, but I changed my mind. Those beans are precious, so I've decided to grow a couple LA Woman freebies I got to dial in the nutrient program...but here's the next couple of grows...I'll let y'all decide in what order they come in.

100_2024.jpg

I've Macgyvered up a propagation area in a closet in the same spare bedroom with 200 equivalent watts of 6500k cfls hitting the Rapid Rooter plugs until the beans crack, at which time I'll put them under a 400w MH conversion light for the early portion of veg...while another grow finishes off.

100_2025.jpg

A NOTE ON H&G NUTRIENTS IN A DWC APPLICATION

There is a rumor out there that H&G nutrient are unsuitable in a DWC application, and it's simply not accurate. There was a translational cock up on some of the early feed charts that got out to the public that advised no air stones or pumps in the res. I contacted Humboldt Wholesalers directly and was told the following...Roots Accelurator works best in an anaerobic environment, but the use of a small stone or pump will cause no issues. Don't turn it into a fog chamber and you'll be fine.

I placed soaked seeds in the plugs at 8am today, hoping to have them into the buckets by the end of the week. I plan to use the online feed chart found on H&G's website, so anyone interested can find what I'm using and how much of it for the given week.

So there's the plan. For the first grow, I'll be showing all of it from seed to chop. After that I'll spare you the tedium of watching the early stages of the grow.

Re: SouthernWeed Swims Again.DWC/H&G Nutrients

Ooooooooooh this is looooookin gooood.

:popcorn:

It's going to be interesting.

SouthernWeed, wise idea to dial your nutes. :peace:

Yeah, new nutes require some getting used to. If I screw these to up, I haven't really lost much.

Ill take my subscription to this thread pleas.
Good luck my vote is in.

Sit back, light one up and get comfortable.

always here to watch!!

Welcome back to the show that never ends...glad to have you watching.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was just in working on my other grow, and popped my head into the closet. One seed has cracked for sure, and I'm pretty sure the other has as well. Hopefully they'll pop up healthy. Pit leaves his seedlings for 3 days, but I'm going to let them go a little longer, building up more root mass. My thinking is that more roots initially exposed to the RA the better.

Guys this one's going to be a slow starter, but once it gets rolling it ought to be downright educational...for all of us.

This should be good :)

Damn glad to have you looking in McB...don't be afraid to sound off.

School is in session. Let the learning begin! Can't wait SouthernWeed.:ganjamon:

I'm ready to roll myself.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

One LA Woman is just about to pop out the rooter cube, the other I had to gently remove and flip over. It was shooting a root straight up in the air, so before it got to much to handle, I just carefully flipped it.

Weather is calling for a major winter storm Friday night into Saturday morning. Ordinarily my generator would handle it, but she threw a rod and the service techs can't get here until Tuesday. So let's all think positive thoughts that it will be snow, and not ice. A power outage now would be hard on these seeds, but it would be catastophic for my other grow.

I'm in I've read every page of your other three grows and I've learned tons from you. It will be nice to be apart of this one.

Sup brother.....Im really stoked your on board....course I kinda knew your game from jump didnt I...LOL. Glad things are working out my man.

Just transplanted the seedlings into their buckets. Got one a little stretched, the other a little stunted. Interesting start huh? The leggy one was my fault, forgot to move a light the day it decided to grow...figures. The other did something a little new. Its grew it's stem right through half of the seed hull and choked itself for a couple days...both appear healthy now.

Week 1 nutrient schedule...all added to 3.5 gallons of R/O water per bucket.

Aqua Flakes A 19.25ml
Aqua Flakes B 19.25ml

PH adjusted to 5.8

Root Aceleratuer 3.85ml
Drip Clean 1.40ml
1.5 scoops Great White

PH climbed to 6.2 in an hour or so. Within 4 hours PH had restabilized at 5.8.

Plants are under 400w MH conversion bulb now. Once new growth starts, I'll step up to a 600w MH and follow all this with 1200w of HPS for flower.

That's the plan folks, let's see how it works.

Moved the plants into the grow room from the closet. Hung 600w MH that is now on.

First pic is of the stretched seedling...it got the cut straw treatment to help it stand on it's own. Second is of the runt...but both are working on a new set of leaves, so I'm pretty confident they'll be fine. The transplanting was an area that concerned me, but PitViper, hallowed be his name, hooked me up with a tutorial on how he sets up and I followed it to the letter.

Baby pics...

100_2140.jpg

100_2141.jpg

Unless there's some issue that crops up that everyone needs to see and perhaps learn from, there won't be alot happening for the next little bit. I'll post anything that seems relevant. Of course, post questions, suggestions and comments and I'll respond to them all.

Y'all have a great day.

No problems after the first week. Was beginning to wonder when they'd really get going, and that turned out to be yesterday.

It doesn't really say much, other than the nutrients are inherently PH stable, but the PH hasn't moved a tenth all week. It'll be more interesting when there are a ton of roots in the buckets.

I want to quickly address water and H&G nutrients. Most, if not all, people know that Pit has changed his nutrient line mid grow due to adverse reaction between the nutrients and the minerals in his well water. In the Netherlands, water quality is poor...so poor that all drinking water is required to be R/O filtered. The H&G nutrient line is designed to use R/O water...tap/wellwater is not recommended. I personally use R/O water in all my hydro efforts, preferring to know that I'm at, or very close to 0ppm, and eliminate any water variables. This seems to be the only negative to the line...and then it's only a drawback to those growing on a large scale, who would need a couple hundred gallons or more of R/O water a week.

Anyhow, here's some pics of them after 1 week in their buckets. Tomorrow, they get their first nute change, and I really expect an explosion of growth in the next couple of days.

100_2142.jpg

100_2144.jpg

Both seem to be yellow a bit in the pics, but it's just flash effect, they are both a very nice healthy green.

So the slow grind goes on...one more week of veg then 12/12 for 55-65 days. Decided to abbreviate the veg on these to two weeks, I'm not trying to set any yield records with these two...a couple ounces per plant will be fine...just want to get a feel for these nutes.

Y'all have a great day.

Back
Top Bottom