Pat and Edge's Unknown/AK/Lowryder#2 Grow - 2010

PatrizioD

Greetings to all. This is mine and my buddy's first grow, we actually waited a couple weeks in before starting this journal, to make sure that the plants didnt just die. So lets get down to it!

Strain: Unknown (but good!) Bagseed/Lowlife Automatic AK-47/Joint Dr's Lowryder #2
Genetics: Mostly Indica
Stage: Vegetative on day 16
Medium: Indoor Roots Organic by Aurora Soil in ~4/5 gallon containers
Nutrients: Roots Buddha Grow (just started) and Buddha Bloom (for flowering)
Container: 2 Sterilite bins lined with reflective insulation, one atop the other, totaling about 6 cubic feet
Lighting: (4) 26 Watt (150w Equiv) CFLs in 6500K spectrum, 1600 lumens apiece
Ventilation: Single 120mm PC Fan for exhaust, passive intake

Now for some pics... We havent planted the AK or LR#2 yet, but they are germinating and will be up soon!

The bins...

And onto the plants... Here they are at day 3 or 4, around there somewhere...

And at 2 weeks into veg...

They have been transplanted into new, larger containers since these pictures were taken. Didnt think to take pics after transplant, but I will soon.
Thanks for stoppin by!:peacetwo:

:goodjob:

Nice setup. Course I had a hand in it, so I can't help but appreciate it!

:welldone:

The three above pictures are of the bagseed, which did come from very good quality stock. Since those pics were taken, the AK and one LR have been potted, and just waiting on one last seed to germ.

:reading420magazine:

Loving all the info this site has to offer!

Interesting. Micro-grow, auto-flowering plants, CFLs. I think I'll tag along.

You're growing three plants in there? Even with AFs, it might get a little cramped.

I've only read a little about AFs but it seems that 4-5 gallons of soil is definitely adequate for getting the most out of an autoflowering plant in most cases. I've read that the Roots Organic soil is good stuff. It is good that you have transplanted into larger pots since you took the pictures.

Are you going to add a few more CFLs soon? Ordinarily I'd suggest at most 25% of the light during flowering phase be 6500K and the other 75%-100% be <3000K, but as your space is so limited, I'd probably go with closer to half and half in order to keep things compact. But it could hurt yields a little. Then again, if you run out of room, that could hurt yields too. So that's what I'd do if it were me. BUT... It's not and I'm only giving my best guess (which you didn't ask for, lol) as I never tried growing in something quite that small.

It can be done though. I'm hoping it goes great for you so that in the future when someone asks me I can show them this journal. Wishing you the best success possible!

EDIT: You've got three plants in four or five gallon pots in there... and you're planning on adding MORE plants? Or do you mean you're putting the other plants in additional micro-grows?

Thanks for stoppin by TorturedSoul. Well, currently the plants are in four-fifths of a gallon pots, not 4-5 gallons. We definitely need to transplant them into something bigger, which sucks because we have NO room in the cab for anything else. Either were gonna hafta chuck some plants, or come up with another grow cab.

I was also thinking we might be able to ScrOG this. I know its mainly used with clones, but the 3 biggest plants we have going are identical strains, so what could it hurt to try? Instead of a Sea of Green we could have a Puddle of Green maybe...

Update:

:reading420magazine:

The mature 3 plants were transplanted to 2-3 gallon pots, while the AK and LR seeds were potted in 4/5 gallon pots. The AK has broken soil as well as one of the LR. Overall there is enough room for the time being, and depending on how big the plants decide to get will help the decision of when to expand/trim/etc.

0323000113.jpg

Started giving a very limited amount of the Buddha Grow nutes to the more mature plants. They seem to be appreciating it. Instead of giving one large dose I'm administering small doses every few days.

The tallest plant is about 4", and with this being day 17 I'm happy with how they are looking.

Recently added a temperature/humidity sensor. Current readings : 81 degrees F, 48% humidity with a high of 89F/60% and low of 66F/31%. Seems to be riding somewhat high on the temperature, so perhaps some more ventilation would help.

About ready to increase the lighting. Currently have 4 23W CFLs and will most likely double it. For an area of about 4.20 sq ft :grinjoint: that should yield about 3,000 lumens per square foot.

More to come!

:thanks:

Some updated pics, now with name flags! Flash was on for the first 3, thats why they seem so bright. Plus, hey just received a light misting, so theres some water on them.

This last one has me wondering, its probably too early to tell, but is this the beginnings of a female?

And heres one without flash to get a better idea of the coloring...
SDC11472.JPG

Thanks for stoppin by! Any words of encouragement, criticism, opinions, anything and everything is welcome!
And anyone know how to put my grow into my sig the right way?

This last one has me wondering, its probably too early to tell, but is this the beginnings of a female?

I don't see any pistils yet but my eyes are as old as the rest of me. What are you referring to?

It is pretty hard to see, but on the 3rd node up there looks to be a few pear shaped things growing up and out of the (joint?). Id say about 3/4 the way up from the bottom, smack in the center of the picture. Most likely Im jumpin the gun on this one. Over-excited for the first grow.

I honestly can't tell if it is what you are seeking or just the formation of another branch at this point. I do wish you luck.

If you can afford to buy one or else borrow one you might get a jeweler's loupe. A 10x-17x magnifier can be very useful in helping to spot emerging pistils before the naked eye has a chance. They tend to look like slightly frizzy pieces of yarn.

::Smacks self in dome:: My dad's a numismatist. Guy's got more friggin' magnifying glasses and tiny little lights than the local hobby store. I guess thats an inherent problem with us stoners... absent minded. Is there any tricks to taking pics through the magnifying glasses?

Been noticing that the humidity has been running quite low, around 30-35% on average. Seemed to have dipped as low as 20%. I have two small cups of water in there to evaporate but not seeing much improvement.
The plants don't really seem to mind it, although I've been misting them a couple times a day to make up for it.
Any recommendations?

Humidifier?

Low-budget approach: Make a frame of some kind to hold up a towel, handkerchief, or bandanna with the bottom edge sitting in a container of water and a fan blowing on it. I would have some concerns about mold/algae though.

Update:

Day 20, the 3 mature bagseed plants (named Abby, Kate, and Ziva) are doing quite well. They even seem to be giving off some smell, nothing too intense but it does seem a bit early for scent to kick in...perhaps its a skunk variety?

BTW sorry for the lower picture quality, my camera is busted so the camera phone is up to bat.

Abby
0325001514d.jpg

Kate
0325001514c.jpg

Ziva
0325001514e.jpg

Today I went out a picked up some more socket splitters and CFLs. This brings the setup to a grand total of 8 bulbs, 6 26W 6500k and 2 23W 2700k, all putting out 1600 lumens each (8x1600) producing a total of 12,800 lumens.

0325001514.gif

Overall everything is looking good.

0325001514a.jpg

The AK and LR seedlings (only one LR) are looking good, growing slowly. One of the LR seeds didn't seem to make it...such is life.

I will follow this to , i have lowryder#2 and they are +/- same stage as yours.

What is the size of those lite containers that you grew in the fisrt 2 weeks?
Im thinking about 2 weeks before i harvest mine start some seeds in lite containers like yours.

Offtopic:
I saw today that there is a new strain from lowlife, its a automatic white widow !! anyone know anything about this new strain?

Good luck ;)

Cab's looking good bro. I have a small spritzer bottle that totally annihilated water, atomizing it into a foggy mist, and I wonder if this could be used to supplement humidity? As long as the plants have a light...VERY light coating of water droplets once a day, maybe every 2 days, could this hurt at all?

miranda...those containers were actually only used for a few days, and they were MacGyver'ed up from some 1L containers and tupperware containers. Dont bother, just go from beercups to the final size pot, if you have the room. About the Auto WW....
From random seedbank site:
* Cannabis genetics: Auto AK47 x Colombian
* Type: Automatic dwarf hybrid
* Flowering: 7 - 8 weeks
* Harvest: 10 weeks from seed
* Environment: indoors, greenhouse, outdoors
* THC: High

interesting box you got going on. its pretty clever, wish i thought of something like that.
by the way do you like NCIS? the names of your plants have the same names as the show. awesome. and ill be checking up on this journal.

OK...on Ziva, one of the tallest plants, I've noticed a little schmootz on one of the leaves. Actually the lowest single leaf. About a half inch in it has a dark yellowish splotch, maybe more a rust color.

0325001640.jpg

:scratchinghead:

No idea what it is, doesn't appear to be nute burn. Kind of at a loss. Aside from that the plant seem A-OK. Will observe but overall let it be.

ClearCrow- Yes, definitely fans of NCIS.
If one ends up being a male I guess it'll have renamed Tony or Gibbs.

Hmm...unit seem to be running quite hot. Up around 90 degrees F. However I swear one of the plants has grow over half an inch plus in the past few hours. They seem to like the increased lighting.

Back
Top Bottom