SimonDetroits Modified Stinkbud Grow

simondetroit

I wasn't gonna start a journal because I figured I could learn more reading everybody elses. Problem is, once I actually got my room built I had to start growing things. I felt like a turd newbie crying and PMing everyone for help everytime one of my clones had a leaf that turned brown LOL! Anyways everyone on this site has been super cool and helpful (you know who you are). I Figured it would be smart/fun to start a journal and get input and suggestions as I go. This grow is actually in its 3 week of flowering. I have a few picts of the actual room build and the beginning stages of the plants. I'll start posting those and hopefully in a couple days I will get current and up to the present date.

I'm using a modified version of the Stinkbud System. It's a Homemade Aero/Nft flowering system using 4 1/2 ft. PvC fence posts with 7 grow sites in each.
empty_rack.jpg

I like this setup because the fence posts actually go right into the actual reservoir so no light gets inside
reservoir_top_view.jpg

system3.jpg

I'm growing 3 strains G-13 Labs NLxSkunk, DNA Genetics Sharks breath and Dinafems Blue Hash Plant. It's the only freebie I got that I didnt kill trying to pop my seeds.

My computer keeps crashing and I'm losing allot of my posts so I will stop here and restart a new one starting with the actual build of the room.

re: SimonDetroits Perpetual Aero/NFT Grow", Dinafem Bluberry Hash, G-13 labs NL/SK, DNA G

Ok so this room was built in the corner of my finished basement. Yes my wife hates me. Heres a before pict....There goes the carpet!

nuteburn11.jpg

Before I went any further I painted the floor and put a water line in the room. I also bought a small pump and ran a 3/4"pvc line from the room to my sump pump. That way I can just pump out my reservoirs and not carry/move a thing. I know eventually it will get pretty crowded in this room and I wont be able to move shit around to easy.
after_2.jpg

Inside the Room
After_3.jpg

Outside the room. This is pretty much the same view as the pic with my dog in it:
after6.jpg

re: SimonDetroits Perpetual Aero/NFT Grow", Dinafem Bluberry Hash, G-13 labs NL/SK, DNA G

I also ran four 20 amp lines into the room. I have an unused 220 line that I will eventually put in the room and use an actual light controller (one day).
after6.jpg

I hired a guy to come in and frame and drywall the room for me. I told him it was a workshop. Well he built all the walls in a day. He came back the monday after the Superbowl and did the first coat of mud. Then I didnt see him again for 3 weeks!!! In the meantime I had my seeds pop and start to veg. I never popped seeds before. I used the paper towel method and had a hard time for some reason. I got a few varieties from Dinafem for free (Mobydick, BLue Hash and another one I can;t remember. I tried popping them first just to experiment. I got the Blue Hash to go and then started 3 each of the seeds I realy wanted to grow. Feminized Sharksbreath and NLxSK.

strains.jpg

I tried a different method this time to get them to pop. I know this was probably stupid and unecessay but I took sandpaper and finely sanded aroound the edges of each seed. I saw in the Growers Bible some people did simular things? I first soaked them over night. They all got a little growth comming out of them so I put them in rapid rooter plugs and watered them as needed. I had them under my 4ft 8bulb t-5 unit. They actually grew! So I gently broke away the rooter plug and placed each one in an Easy Cloner neoprene insert. And then into my homemade Aero CLoner.
nute_burn1.jpg

empty_cloner.jpg

Eventually I got 4 DNA Sharksbreath and 3 of the G-13 NL/SK and 1 Dinafem Blue hash Plant to the veg stage..........And then I realized once I add nutes all the plants handle them differently! It totally sucked At like 200 ppm the NL/SK started to fry while the others wanted more.
nuteburn14.jpg

Well it took the guy another 2 weeks to come back again to do the 3rd coat of mud. I paid him and told him to get lost. I touched it up and sanded it down the best I could and painted it inside and out. It doesnt look to bad on the outside. It actually looks pretty natural. So anyways the plants vegged/grew really good under the t-5 unit. I ended up building another veg unit so I could seperate the NL/SK from the rst of the plants since they couldnt handle the nutes.

Heres a picture of the 2 veg units in their current state. They are just 18 gallon Rubbermade stack setups. Reservoir on bottom going to EZ Clone sprayers in the top unit. Just roots and air and sprayers in the top unit.
veg_units.jpg

So the plants were getting old and big and I didnt have a HPS to flower under yet. So then I finally took my cuttings and had 100% success! This is great, I have like 30 plants!!

And then about 3 weeks later I lost my job (and so did about 100 other people in a 3 month span). SO what did I do???? I bought a 600 watt Lumatek Ballast and Sunsystem Coolsun Reflector with 6" vent holes with part of the 2 weeks pay the employer gave me! I decided to go with this reflector because it is 24"wide and 20"long. There arent may aircooled reflectors out there that have a footprint like that. I needed it due to my room setup. In order to vent eventually the air flow has to go against the shorter area of the reflector due to the shape/size of my flowering units. Heres a pic.

coolsun.jpg

Well at least I have allot of time to watch things grow?

Ok, so I got the 600 watt HPS set up in the room and put it over my flowering unit with my original seven seedlings . These things are huge going into flower. I did everything I could to delay things, I fimmed, pinched, LST,topped and accidentally broke so many budsites off these plants it was sometimes sad. Well anyways the day had finally came. Heres a crappy pic but it shows how thick the stems were going into Bloom.

system3.jpg

Ok well 2 days after I put the first 7 plants into flowering I said "fuck it". I took another goup of cuttings from my vegging plants and filled up the cloner. Then I took 14 of the 20 vegging plants and put them in another flowering rack. I didnt have another hps light. Or any other light for that matter. So I took my T-5 unit with 6500 bulbs in it and placed it over the other (new) Flowering rack. Since I didnt have plans of doing a journal I dont have picts from that day, so here is a current pict of what that setup looks like.
plants_after2.jpg

So now my cloner and veg units do not have a light. I went up to Home Depot and bought a 2 bulb 4ft T-12 unit and 2 of the "sun" bulbs they had. I hung it up over the 2 veg units and the cloner. It really seemed like they needed more light. I was so used to all that light from the 8 bulb T-5 unit. So I went out to my garage and I had an unused regular 4ft 2 bulb flourescent fixture with some old ass bulbs in it. It's better than nothing? So I run back to the Home Depot to get some more chain. I return home and as I'm opening the package that the chain is in I get this fucking horrible muscle spasm under my left shoulder blade. This is something that happens to me every once in a while. But this time it was really ,really,really bad!

But my plants are in more pain than me, they need more light. Their asshole owner just gave their 8 bulb T-5 to their other sisters! So I litterally hobbled downstairs to the room and hung up the other light. It was better but still nowhere near the t-5's output. I know they don't need a ton of light at this stage of their lives. Well after getting the lights hung I stood in the room in pain, but it was o.k. Because now I had 2 racks going in my flowering area!

lights15.jpg

So i checked the PH one last time....Great 5.6 in both reservoirs. I start to leave the room (i can barley walk because my back is so fucked) and I trip over the pump cord for the new res I just hooked up and fell to the floor. Shit, this growing stuff can be dangerous.:peace:

Well I laid in bed allot longer than usual, not because I'm unemployed, but because my back is fucking killing me! I can't smoke even if I want to. I gotta get a job and your $370 tax dollars a week are not gonna pay the bills. A drug test is gonna have to happen sooner or later. So I go downstairs to the room and this is what I see!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dead_plants2.jpg

dead_plant1.jpg

https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/500/dead_plants2.jpg[/IMG

The day before when I left the room and tripped.........I must have unplugged the cords to both of the damn pumps. So these girls went with out water for about 24hrs. About 8 of those hours they were baking under the lights. I got sick to my stomach and unplugged the lights to prevent further damage. I made a post here at 420 with pictures of the dying plants asking "Will they make it?" I was surprised, most members said probably. I did what I had to do in a moment of crisis...........I PMed Pitviper. I sent him photos of the damage. He gave me advice that I wouldnt have done otherwise and within 30 hours they were making a comeback. Heres the picts:

[IMG]https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/500/better11.jpg

better2.jpg

Not great but promising?:peace:

O.K, That about brings things up to date. This friday I'm gonna order some 3000k bulbs to finish the flowering under the t-5. Should I leave 4 of the 6500k bulbs in there and runit half and half? Honestly I have to say I'm surprised in the flowering that is taking place under that T-5 especially with 6500k bulbs. I'm ALso gonna order another HPS setup. I was initially gonna go with another 600 watter with a really big hood. But I think since there is a good chance I;m not gonna be able to come up with the $$ to get yet another 600 watt system 3 weeks from now when I start my 4th flowering unit, I might as well just get a 1000 watter and pray the heat isnt an issue with my 7'3" ceilings. The hoods will "eventually" be vented out of the room. I found a deal on ebay....$480 for a 1000 watt Lumatek, a Great White (huge REflector) and a shitty hps bulb for $480 with shipping. It's really only $100 more than if I got a 600 watt setup. And I can always turn the ballast down until I get the venting straight.:peace::thanks: I hope this stuff makes sense?

Well I'm gonna order the 1000 watt system Friday. I'm also gonna order a 6"inline fan to cool the 1000 watter in combo with my 600 hood. I'm also gonna keep flowering under my 8 bulb T-5 (with the right bulbs).

Heres some picts from today, 3 weeks into flowering.

color2.jpg

bud325.jpg

bud234.jpg

both2.jpg

I havent seen to many DNA Genetics Sharksbreath Grows. Heres some strain info:
Type : Indica / Sativa
Flowering : Photoperiod Genetics : GWS x Jamaican Lambsbread
Flowering Time : Long Outdoor Harvest : Unknown
Height : Short THC Level : Medium

MY other Strains:

G-13 LAbs Northern LightsxSkunk:

Type : Indica / Sativa
Flowering : Photoperiod Genetics : Northern Lights, Skunk
Flowering Time : Medium, Long Outdoor Harvest : October
Height : Medium, Tall THC Level : High
Characteristics : Great Fruity taste

Dinafem Blue Hash Plant:

Type : Indica
Flowering : Photoperiod Genetics : Blueberry x California Hash Plant.
Flowering Time : Medium Outdoor Harvest : Flowers in about 55 days
Height : Medium THC Level : 12% - 16%
Characteristics : sweet, fruity

Surprisingly the Blue Hash has been the stongest grower. Very healthy grower sincee it sprouted. Takes all the nutes and and is budding up faster than the Sharksbreath and nlxsk......so far.:peace:

WOW is all I have to say about the AMAZING RECOVERY! I also love the mod you did to the SB System. Are you following his method all the way with Nutes and the 1 min on 5 min off time? :grinjoint:

I'm using Eco 396 pumps in all of my units. Cloner, flowering and Veg. I run 16 EZ Cone sprayers in the Flowering units and 11 sprayers in the flowering and cloner unit.
eco_pump.jpg

I've been using the stinkbud Botanicare cocktail for both veg and Flower:

nutes20.jpg

Here is the formula for my flower room:

Botanicare Nutrients:
126ml Cal-Mag Plus
150ml Sweet
180ml Liquid Karma
540mlL Pure Bend Pro Bloom

Mix all the nutrients in a spare gallon milk container. Add water and shake well. The whole mix will take an 18 gal rez to 2900 PPM.

You need a PPM meter that goes to at least 2000 PPM.

Add about half of the mix and check your PPM. It will be low so you will have to keep adding nutrients until you get it to 2000 PPM.

It is easy to add more nutes but hard to take them out If you go over you have to drain some nute/water from the rez and add more plain water.

That's why you want take it slow at first.

I run this nutrient formula for vegetative growth:

Botanicare Nutrients:
126ML Cal-Mag Plus
180ML Liquid Karma
540ML Pure Bend Pro Vegetative Formula

I start at 1500 PPM and bring it up to 2000 PPM by the second week of veg. I change the nutrients every 3 weeks with each new crop.

I adjust my PH to 5.8

Hey man i just checkin out your grow and thought i would tell you good job on the comeback i would have been so depressed lol. +Reps bro

What kind of timer are you using?

WOW is all I have to say about the AMAZING RECOVERY! I also love the mod you did to the SB System. Are you following his method all the way with Nutes and the 1 min on 5 min off time? :grinjoint:

Thanks Nachoman, ya I'm not running it exactly. I got one of these 1 min on 4 min off timers: It's been doing the job.
timer6.jpg

I question just how frequently the "on" process needs to take place. I've read posts where people used regular light timers and did 15 on 15 off?
I read a ton of post from people saying that their CAP-ART timers were frying. This was due to the fact that they were running the whole Stinkbud System on one timer. So with 3 flowering units and a cloner and a Veg unit your looking at 5 pumps total. The pumps don't draw alot of amps when they are running but when they start up they actually do.....so when you multiply that by 5 you have a ton of ware going on every 5 mins.

I'm planning on having 5 flowering units, 2 veg units and a cloner. I bought this 15 amp contactor to reduce the ware on the timer. That way the timer is only activating the relay:

relay1.jpg

The question I have now is, Am I just gonna fry this relay prematurely because I'm running 8 pumps off of it?? Well time will tell.

AS for the nutes I use the same nutes and mix that Stink recommends. I however use Pitvipers advice and don't raise the nutes as agressively as Stink does. Pit reccommends:

900 PPm for week 2
1200 PPm for week 3
if you go over 3 weeks veg
1500 PPM week 4
1800 PPM week 5 and hold there
at bloom I flush and go to 1000 PPM week1
1300 ppm week 2
1600 PPM week 3
1900 PPM week 4
flush weekly.....VERY IMPOTANT
and hold there until last 2 weeks and ad your bloom enhancers if your using them

this is double secret probation info..:peace:

Back
Top Bottom