AHighGuy's First 600W SCROG Indoor Cabinet Grow

aHIGHguy

What strain is it? Undecided
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? Probably a S/I Hybrid
Is it in Veg or Flower stage? None
If in Veg... For how long?
If in Flower stage... For how long?
Indoor or outdoor? Indoor
Soil or Hydro? Hydro perfered (need help on medium)
Size of light? 600W
Is it aircooled? Yes
Temp of Room/cab? Not yet setup
RH of Room/cab? Not yet setup
PH of media or res? Not yet setup
Any Pests ? Fingers Crossed
How often are you watering? Not yet setup
Type and strength of ferts used? Not yet setup

Bucket Size - Unknown
Medium - Help Please
Light - 600w HPS
Nutrients - Unknown
Strain(s) - Will know soon, Store bought clones
# of Plants: 6 (limit)
Yield : As much as possible.

We are starting our project with this cabinet for a closet with the dimensions of:

Length:6'
Width: 2'1"
Height: 5'6"

IMG00021-20100411-2228.jpg

IMG00023-20100411-2229.jpg

We plan on using either a 600W HPS light. Not too sure if the room that size would get too hot with that light.

For ventilation we will mount a inline fan either a 4 or 6 inch and exhaust through the crawl space.

Growing medium has not been decided yet. This is where we need the most help as of now. Plan on hand watering but would like to go hydro to keep it as clean as possible. Also low budget would be best.

The box will soon be lined with mylar and we will finish up the plywood on the top and sides.

We also have planned to SCROG for maximum yield along with the FIM method.

Plants will be 6 female clones, do not know what strain yet.

Thanks for all your help :bong:

If you want to go with a cheap set up, use soil. As for a growing medium, I prefer something with perlite, for air to get into the soil and something with no nutes. I like to add my own nutes because you have more control on what your plants are taking in. I will be watchin this one.:popcorn:...:goodluck:

I use Sunshine Mix #4...it contains perlite and has no added nutes. I like to add my own nutes so I can somewhat control the intake of my plants. I know a lot of people here use fox farm's ocean forest, just be careful because it does contain nutes. A 5 gallon bucket is a good size to use, I use a 4 gallon without any problems and I can get 5 foot plants. I would not recommend planting more than 1 plant per site, it will make it a mess if 1 plant has a problem, it can transfer to another plant easily or if you have a male it will make it harder to pull.

You better pH down...looks like your pH is higher than your scale shows (I can't tell the number).

What strain is it? Midnight Lavender
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? Indica
Is it in Veg or Flower stage? Veg
If in Veg... Fresh Clones
Indoor or outdoor? Indoor
Soil or Hydro? Hydro
Size of light? 600W
Is it aircooled? Yes. Not the light itself, but my box is.
Temp of Room/cab? 81 today.
RH of Room/cab? 20
PH of media or res? 6ish Using a vial/drop
Any Pests ? None so far.
How often are you watering? Just soaked the rockwool in PH 6 water.
Type and strength of ferts used? Handwatered 2 drops / Gal. of Humbolt Nutes rooting nute.

Bucket Size - Rockwool Cube
Medium - Rockwool
Light - 600w HPS
Nutrients - Botinacare 'Pure Blend Pro Grow'
Strain(s) - Midnight Lavender
# of Plants: 6 (limit)
Yield : Tell me what you think.

Also Could anyone please post this on my first post? It wont let me edit.
:roorrip:

The Closet
IMGP0747.JPG

Intake
IMGP0737.JPG

Exhaust
IMGP0746.JPG

IMGP0745.JPG

Day 1!

IMGP0738.JPG

IMGP07391.JPG

IMGP0741.JPG

IMGP0740.JPG

IMGP0742.JPG

IMGP0743.JPG

We bought the same strain grown by someone else. I can say I just smoked the bud and it was a good high.

Relieved to be underway...

beautiful looking cab for sure!! kudos!!

i think i have just taken a liking to this thread because of the uncertainty so far :grinjoint: but as a caregiver myself, i would like to add my 2 cents if i may??

if you don't wish to make your business so public, feel free to private message me. but you are obviously legal, so why are you restricting yourself to a cab??

regardless, i would love to share my experiences and help in any way that i can.

beautiful looking cab for sure!! kudos!!

i think i have just taken a liking to this thread because of the uncertainty so far :grinjoint: but as a caregiver myself, i would like to add my 2 cents if i may??

if you don't wish to make your business so public, feel free to private message me. but you are obviously legal, so why are you restricting yourself to a cab??

regardless, i would love to share my experiences and help in any way that i can.

Thanks!

I posted on this forum because I want to show everyone on this site what im doing in order to recieve help from everyone.

I am using a cabinet because there are plenty of plant snatchers about and I cannot put a lock on my fence.

Thanks for looking and feel free to post any advice you can right here.

Other than that. The cab was showing -- on the humidity this morning so I went and got a humidfier and hopefully it will pick back up.

Also I started the babies on 1/8 strength nutes (Flora Nova) right when the lights turned off today.

As far as the yellowing of the leaves is that lack of N or is it just the clones feeding off themselves?

Pics up tonight.

ok, im gonna do some quick reading on your strain, if you will answer these questions for me........ i don't know you from adam, so please don't be offended from any of the questions.... i'm just trying to speed things along :slide:

1. are you looking for help with the cab, or with growing in general, or both? is this your first "real" grow i guess i am asking?? don't know if i need to take baby steps or just throw the jargon at ya'.

2. what were you planning to use for a rez?

ok, im gonna do some quick reading on your strain, if you will answer these questions for me........ i don't know you from adam, so please don't be offended from any of the questions.... i'm just trying to speed things along :slide:

1. are you looking for help with the cab, or with growing in general, or both? is this your first "real" grow i guess i am asking?? don't know if i need to take baby steps or just throw the jargon at ya'.

2. what were you planning to use for a rez?

Yes, this is my first grow. I have been there for 3 other outdoor grows, now it is my turn.

I am looking for all the help I can get. I want to post everything here so that someone can tell me that I'm doing it all wrong and give me the steps to correct my mistakes.

I had not planned on using a res, for this grow so far we have been mixing our feed in gallon milk jugs.

I planned on hand watering them every "night" until they got a little bigger and needed feeding on a less regular basis.

Now based on the pictures does that yellowing of the tips mean a nute deficiency or are the clones feeding off their own leaves like it says in my growers bible.

I have been doing as much research as possible in the bible as well as searching this forum for info. Usually I can pick things up pretty quickly as I'm hoping I will with this grow.

Thanks for all your help so far.

according to your numbers, yes, that is probably the case. since you just started nutes you should see some good results in a day or two. as long as you have fresh green growth coming out the top, i wouldnt worry too much about those leaves yellowing.

as far as hand watering, im not going to tell you what growing method to use, but i would go a different route myself.

let me double check some measurements real quick, and if you are interested in my suggestions i will post them.... im just not gonna type it all out if you are dead-set in hand watering, or don't have $75 to invest.......

Are you thinking DWC or Bubbles?

That is where I planned on going, but wanted to get my feet wet a little bit first.

At the Hydro-Store, the guy behind the counter recommended Rockwool and thats where were at.

Could you go over the differences as far as times before harvest, potency, yield and others.

The money is not a problem, the cabinet is 4 feet from a bed so if it keeps me from sleeping that could be an issue. However the fans we have now are no problem at all.

Time for work for me so I wont be back on until later tonight when I post pics of the healthy looking Afgooey, along with more pics of the lavey. At the same time ill show pics of the hydrometer, humidifier, and my poormans C02 solution.

Thanks again

Are you thinking DWC or Bubbles?

That is where I planned on going, but wanted to get my feet wet a little bit first.

At the Hydro-Store, the guy behind the counter recommended Rockwool and thats where were at.

Could you go over the differences as far as times before harvest, potency, yield and others.

The money is not a problem, the cabinet is 4 feet from a bed so if it keeps me from sleeping that could be an issue. However the fans we have now are no problem at all.

Time for work for me so I wont be back on until later tonight when I post pics of the healthy looking Afgooey, along with more pics of the lavey. At the same time ill show pics of the hydrometer, humidifier, and my poormans C02 solution.

Thanks again

i am pretty medicated and REAL FAR into this at the moment, so by the time you get back i will have a million dollars worth of info. for ya'..... and if you decide not to use it that's totally fine..... just happy to help if i can :nicethread:

ok, this is all just my personal opinion, if you ask 5 diff growers, you will get 5 diff opinions, but hand watering is not the way to go.... for a number of reasons.... and ESPECIALLY not for a first grow. the thing about rockwool is the wet/dry factor. moist is good, but what is moist? and if moist is good how can i keep it "moist" 24 hours a day and not too wet and not too dry? when you hand water, you are basically flooding the roots for awhile, which is good, because that flood delivers nutes, but its also a little bad at the same time because the roots suffocate until the rockwool dries out enough to allow some air back in.

enter hydroton.

it holds the perfect amount of air and water to make the rockwool cubes just as happy as pigs in poop. and happy rockwool means happy roots.... and the chain continues.

i did your shopping for you.... well at least found everything to help out. i would post the links to the items, but the 420 kind-kops will knock them down .... so here ya go..... the blue line is 1/2" black vinyl tube that connects the rez to the first tote, and then the 1st to the 2nd, and onto the 3rd. gravity will keep the water level in all 4 totes the same since they are all linked together by the tubing.

this is a REAL basic diagram, but the idea is there to build on.

6_plant_set-up1.jpg

we are doing a DIY tutorial on Tuesday as part of the live video party, and i just happen to have all these things laying around ready to go. i'm not plugging them, but i made my order from greentrees hydroponics. the shipping costs are very reasonable and delivery time was perfect..... and their custom little 2 piece set-up for water-tight fittings through the side of these totes is just awesome.... and very cheap.

SHOPPING LIST:

----4 totes-walmart $3.50 each- they are sterilite 10 gallon. they measure 14" wide x 20" long and 12" high.... absolutely perfect fit for 3 of them side by side holding 2 plants each in your cab.
----25ft. fish aquarium airline. $2.50 -- walmart
----4 - 12" air stones-- $1.50 each -- walmart
----6-5" net pots-- 70 cents each at greentrees
----25ft. - 1/2" black vinyl tube--$11- greentrees
----6- 1/2' straight barbed connectors-- 29 cents each-- greentrees
----6- 1/2" grommet -- 59 cents each -- greentrees
----Water Pump Active Aqua 160 Gallons per hour--$10--greentrees
----18 Watt Single Outlet Air Commercial Grade Air Pump--$40-- i got mine at plantlighting hydroponics because greetrees doesnt carry this pump and i love it.
----and enough hydroton clay pebbles to fill 6 net pots

total cost around $90 :cheer:

yeah, these will fit PERFECT!
0416002011.jpg

and the air pump, it will come with a short section of tube to attach it to a 4-way-splitter.... perfect for you... one line for each tote, and one for the rez....my pic shows a 6-way, but go for the 18watt/4-way pump.... PLENTY of bubbles :)
133879.jpg

0402000932.jpg

the connectors and grommets and tube to connect all the totes together.... i copied this from their website about the little grommets:

----This sealing grommet works like a bulkhead fitting allowing the connection of 1/2" tubing to a tray or other container. Use the grommet to make a water tight seal in plastic material up to 1/8" thick. Drill a 13/16" hole and insert the grommet then push a 1/2" connector through the grommet. This part is essential for those of you who are building their own system.

0416002010a.jpg

0416002010.jpg

Active Aqua 160gph water pump
12364_PU160.jpg

so anyways, with this set-up, everything is automated for you... no worries about being there and on time to hand water everyday. plus it will send a CONSTANT flow of air directly to the roots.... and thats a good thing.

you will be able to fill/drain, control ppm, water level, water temp, ph......ect through the rez, and the totes that are inside the cab will never have to be opened at all. just get everything connected, cut holes in the tops of the totes for net pot, and fill the water up until it is 1/4" to 1/2" BELOW the bottom of the net pot. the water pump is to put in the bottom of the rez and run a line to the top of the FARTHEST tote in the cab. this will keep the water constantly flowing between all 3 totes and the rez tote, and you will have air stones in the bottom of all four to add even more air to the already flowing water. the air stones will produce a massive swirl of bubbles that will float to the surface and pop.... getting the bottom of the net pot wet.... which gets the hydroton clay pebbles inside wet..... and remember..... hydroton carries the perfect amount of water and air for rockwool :) once you get the water level just below the net pots, make a mark on the inside of your rez with a magic marker/tape... whatever... this is your PERFECT water level, and the level to maintain throughout the whole grow..... just pop open the rez everyday and backfill whatever they drank up and you are good to go!!!

you said your cab is 6ft tall. the totes are one foot tall and will give you plenty of room for root growth going 2 plants per tote. so knock a foot off the 6ft. starting point for the rez height..... down to 5ft. your light seems to be stuck as far up in the box as possible, and of course thats good, so lets say 1 to 1.5 feet at the top of the cab for the reflector, lamp, and a few inches of "dead space" to make sure you aren't scorching them. what we are left with is 3.5-4ft MAX to use for actual plant height... this is a good thing :bongrip:

i couldnt find any info at all on your particular strain, it must be local. anyways, lets just assume some basic averages here.

thats the million dollar question.... and $999,999 of those dollars depend on strain....

northern lights is good to use as an "average" strain as far as flower time and yield. of course genetics have everything to do with it.... but im saying AVERAGE here.... based on my experience.... 30 days in veg and 60 days in flower..... 10-14 ounces every 90 days.... .........

I like it...

One question I have is I do not have the space for a Res outside of my cabinet.

Will all 4 fit inside? W/room for my humidifier, fan, and everything else?

Other than that I like the idea, Will it still be possible to transplant my cubes to the new solution?

well, the only way around the space issue that i can see is to forget the rez and forget linking them together as well. you will have 3 separate "bubble totes" and will have to pop each open to do your daily checks/filling and stuff. not a big deal though.... its only 3 totes...

as far as the rockwool you have going now, have the roots grown into the big outer cube yet? if you can separate the original cube from the bigger one GREAT, but if not, what are the dimensions of the big cube?? after i get that measurement i will go check real quick to see what i think.

Back
Top Bottom