Pop Kulture's 1st Time Indoor Organic 600W Many Strains

Pop Kulture

Nearly 30 years ago, I took a philosophy of religion course that compared and contrasted the philosophical underpinnings of many of the major religions of the world, and I am struck by how the spirit of this 420 virtual community is similar to the Theravada school of Buddhism.

Theravada Buddhism, a.k.a. - The School of the Elders, promotes the concept of Vibhajjavada (Pali), literally "Teaching of Analysis." This doctrine says that insight must come from the aspirant's experience, critical investigation, and reasoning instead of by blind faith; however, the scriptures of the Theravadan tradition also emphasize heeding the advice of the wise, considering such advice and evaluation of one's own experiences to be the two tests by which practices should be judged.". Wow, is that apropos or what?

Furthermore, Theravadans "believe that every individual is personally responsible for their own self-awakening and liberation, as they are the ones that were responsible for their own actions and consequences." Many Theravadans are monks "living close to nature in forests, mountains and caves. These forest monasteries still keep alive the ancient traditions through following the Buddhist monastic code of discipline in all its detail and developing meditation in secluded forests."

Granted, Buddhist are seeking a path to enlightenment/nirvana and we are merely seeking great meds, but our path is true and it has led us all here — to this time and virtual space. Individually we seek advice of the elders and bestow invaluable moral support when we have but little else to offer. Due to drug wars and social ignorance, we happily toil like solitary monks in our hidden gardens of green, yet we are able to come together in this virtual space and support one another. It is amazing to me that our shared experiences are radically altering the nature of this plant...a weed that cannot be stopped.

That is the spirit of this journal: To seek advice and learn from all of you, but with the knowledge that everything that follows is my responsibility. Here's to Zen and the Art of Cannabis Cultivation! While that may be the spirit of my pursuit, my motivation is born of frustration and being fed up with waiting for "medical marijuana" to become legal in my area. I am sick of the crappy swag and I am unwilling to pay thru the nose for a good bag of weed, even if I could find it. Finally, I am sick of not being able to help various friends and family members who are sick and who could genuinely be helped by some good quality medicinal smoke. With that in mind, I embark on this journey with some fear and trepidation because I have a brown thumb and I am sure to screw this up if I don't have some experienced people like you to bounce ideas off of and resolve problems.

This is what I want to avoid!

DSC0002010.jpg

It's the only plant in my house prior to starting this endeavor. This aloe plant was much worse two months ago — this is a pic of the "revived" plant.

My grow space is below ground level and generally maintains an ambient temp between 70-75 degrees but the ceiling height is a paltry 7.5' — I have a 4'x8'x6.75' Secret Jardin grow tent and there is an additional space of approximately 10'x10'x7.5' that I can develop. There is plenty of power but my ventilation options are limited to a 4" dryer exhaust which is why I waited until Sept. to start this grow. Checking out other journals is helping me to formulate a plan for creating a dedicated bloom room and using the tent strictly for veg.

Equipment list:
600w HPS soon to be on a rail (waiting on 600w mh bulb to arrive), 600w Lumetek digital ballast, 6" air cooled hood, cheap Vick's mister, oscillating fan, 6" active air fan on speed control, 2 digial hygrometers, soil ph tester.

Looking to do as organic a grow as possible using Fox Farm soils. Currently using red beer cups filled with FF Light Warrior and I intend to transplant into root pots and smart pots using 2-1 FF Ocean Forest to Light Warrior. Ultimately, I would like to mix a big batch of "super soil" which is as follows:
8 large bags of high quality organic potting soil with coco and Mycorrhizae
25-50 lbs. of organic worm castings
5 lbs. of Blood meal 12-0-0
5 lbs. Bat guano 0-5-0
5 lbs. Fish Bone Meal 3-16-0
¾ cup Epsom salt
1 cup Sweet lime (Dolomite)
½ cup Azomite ( Trace element)
2 Tbs. powdered Humic acid
*** If using an RO system add in 1/2 cup powdered Cal/mag

But that is for another day and a future post.

I have the following nutrients on hand are all from Roots Organics: Aurora, Buddha Grow and Extreme Serene. I have not used any as of yet.

Strains include:
Nivana 10 reg Short Rider, 5 fem White Widow, 5 fem Northern Lights, 5 fem AK-48, 1 fem Motivation, 2 Barney's Farm Vanilla, 2 BFLSD, 2 Reserva Privada OG Kush #18, 1 RP Cole Train, 1 DNA Genetics Rocklock, 1 DG Sharksbreath, 1 Short Stuff Onyx, 1 SS Blue Himalaya

I know for a first time grow this is a huge range of genetics, but I love to play Frisbee so I figured I would just wing and see what happens. Seriously, I want to see what is easy to grow vs. difficult, range of phenos that emerge, learning to spot hermes and males, getting pollen, cloning and quality of the meds, of course. Even if everything dies I have enough seeds to start over and try again with virtually all the same strains.

Below are some pics: Most of these are approximately 1 week old. I have a vision impairment and have trouble discerning color and poor focus — do these seem healthy? I had a few days where temps soared to 90 degrees plus with low RH around 30%. I have stabilized the temps around 70-75 degrees and the RH is between 40%-50%. I am concerned that I have stunted their growth — any thoughts?

H2O is coming from a good quality municipal supply that the guy at the dro store says he has been using for years with no problems — air it out for a day and its ok.

Some other questions:

1. With FF Light Warrior when should I start feeding nutes? My understanding that I should wait a full 3-4 weeks, but I am not sure.

2. When should I start foliar feeding? When can I simply foliar feed with straight H2O?

3. My temps range from 68 degrees to 80 degrees and the RH varies from 35% to 50%. Usually, the tent is around 72-74 degrees and 40%-45% RH and I would like to get it closer to 60% but this Vicks mister is incapable of getting it up to 60% - any solutions you can think of or should I not worry about it? FYI — I am using all possible methods suggested on this site (wet towels, standing water, mister, oscillating fan, etc.). If you can suggest a humidifier that you use and it works that would be great as there are so many models to choose from and they seem either really low quality or overkill.

4. Is a 600w HPS at 24" overkill for these seedlings? I started at 360w and slowly moved it up to 600w and everything seems ok, but I am not sure if it is stunting their growth.

5. I frequently search this site for interesting journals — can you suggest any good organic grows. I have all kinds of reading material, but the journals offer more of a real world

6. I am currently running the lights 24/7 — when should I switch to 18/6 or 20/4? Does it even matter?

7. What should I do about this? Two seeds ended up in the same cup — hey, I know don't 420 and take cell calls while planting seeds. Any suggestions on what to do with these two (1 BCN Diesel and 1 AK-48)? I would like to keep the both.

Grow_1_016.JPG

8. When should I transplant these? I should have stayed in beer cups, but the guy at the hydro store suggested I get this thing now I am not sure what to do with these — again, I don't want to lose them if I can avoid it. My thought was to wait until they are 10 days old or so and move to a 1 gal smart pot. At present, they are all about 8 days old.

Grow_1_032.JPG

More Misc Pics:

Grow_1_007.JPG

Grow_1_004.JPG

Week old close ups - They seem small for 1 week and their growth has slowed to a crawl, but I have never done this before - any thoughts?

Grow_1_013.JPG

Grow_1_011.JPG

:tokin:

You should definately wait on adding nutes right now because the soil you are using has plenty. Also, no need to foliar feed yet either. You can use a spoon to very carefully seperate the seedlings in the cup. Better to seperate them now than later.

It is time to transplant when you can see small roots exposing through the soil. Wait until the soil is dry enough to carefully remove the seedling from the seed tray and check for root development. Tranplant them into a 1 gallon, next would be into a 3 gallon, and finally into a 5 gallon space permitting. Expect 1 foot of plant height per gallon of soil or size of pot.

I personally would recommend keeping the lights at 24/7 until you are ready to flower if you can afford the electric bill. However, a 600 watt HPS light is overkill for these young seedlings. I'm going to flower soon with a 600 watt HPS light. I used a 600 watt MH bulb to veg my clones. The clones I just took on Saturday are under T12 bulbs until they are mature enough to go under the MH bulb. You should look into either CFLs, T8s, T12s, or a lower MH watt bulb for your seedlings & clones. Check out this CFL Light Tutorial

I think your temps and RH are fine at the level you have them at currently. Those ranges have been working for me. You can see my pictures in my grow journal. Keep in mind for future reference, that the Vick's Humidifier is a warm mist that will also increase temperature.

One last thing, growing any thing especially marijuana takes a lot of patience. Don't be discouraged if they dont grow as fast as other people's plants. :goodluck:

Is this grow still alive?

If so, please update us with some pictures and info.

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial:
Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to abandoned journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world!

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

Lots has gone on since my last update - Today is day 41 since first seeds popped out of the soil. I added a light rail in a 4x8x7.5 foot Secret Jardin tent and I hope to post a DIY for this because it is a little more involved than you might think - hmmmm, how do you install a 2x4 in a grow tent? I spent a good month dwelling on the problem and I think I got it licked.

Here are some of the latest pics of the grow:

Day 41

Day_41_1st_half_of_grow.JPG

Day_41_Other_Half_of_Grow.JPG

Day_41_Complete_Group1.JPG

Not too shabby considering I have virtually no grow experience.

Right now I am having some problems. Specifically, my Sharksbreath and Rocklock are not doing as well as I would like.

Here are some Rocklock pics:

Rocklock_Problems.JPG

Sharksbreath was my first favorite plant - pungent smell emerged very early on and it just looked cool.

Sharksbreath_day_6.jpg

Sharksbreath_day_14.JPG

Sharksbreath_Day_21.JPG

Jaws_Smells1.JPG

Funky_71.JPG

Sharksbreath_Problems.JPG

I figured that she got some Nute burn so I decided to do a flush and replant into a 3 gallon root pot - here is how you roll off the smart pot.

Smart_pot_removal_1.JPG

Smart_pot_removal_2.JPG

Smart_pot_removal_3_nice_roots.JPG

Day 41 for Sharksbreath

Sharksbreath_Day_41_problems_.JPG

I have done a major flush about a week ago - my guess is I just have to wait, but if you have any suggestions for getting this plant back on track, I'd love to hear it.

Soon, I will post the beer cup challenge and my light rail install.

till then :peacetwo: :Rasta:

Beer Cup Challenge — After about a month into this grow I realized that the growth differences between seeds germinated in beer cups and seeds germinated in a 72 cell cut tray where significant. I started with Nirvana Seeds AK-48, Short Rider and White Widow and I planted 5 Short Riders (3 sprouted), 1 AK-48 and 1 White Widow in the cut tray cells and the rest in beer cups:

Beer_Cup_Challenge.jpg

This is the cut tray setup:
Cut_Tray_Group_9-5_Day_7.JPG

Media was FF Light Warrior and everything else was the same. My efforts included cooking my seedlings with a 600w HPS light, high temps, under watering and various other newbie missteps. Hilarity ensued, three stooges and Keystone Cops were running amok. In short, that anything is still alive is a testament to the general heath and vigor of the plant's genetics and nothing to do with me and my efforts. Heck, at the end of the day it's a weed, a wonderful weed, but a weed all the same. Anyway, I offer the following pictorial review for your edification and comment.

After 39 days this is what we have:

AK-48s and White Widows -the top group was started in cell trays and bottom in beer cups - the chop stick is for size reference and it is 10" or 25.4 cm tall - note the difference between the top and bottom rows.
Day_39_WW_and_AK48s.jpg

AK-48 #2 - started in Cell Tray
AK-48_2_thru_day_39.jpg

White Widow #2 started in Cell Tray
White_Widow_2_thru_day_39.jpg

After two weeks, I panicked and transplanted AK-48 #2 and WW#2 from the cell tray into a beer cup. When I took them out of the cell cup I noticed how the roots were just all over the place - nice white and very healthy.

White Widow #1 - Started in beer cups
White_Widow_1_thru_day_39.jpg

Day 39 for Short Riders #7, 8 and 9 started in a cell tray are now in one 3 gallon root pot. I panicked early on a figured that these seedlings were as good as dead - they turned out to be some of the strongest! The others, SR1-SR5 all started in beer cups. Again, note the chop stick for scale and sizing reference.

Short_Riders_Day_39.jpg

This is the big mistake in the planting of the seeds - AK-48#1 and BCN Diesel ended up in one beer cup - this is how they appear today. Any ideas on moving forward?
AK48-1_and_BCN_thru_day_39.jpg

Anyway, I began this grow thinking that beer cups were the way to go, but this comparison really illustrates how the 72 cell size cups in the cut trays dramatically improved the root structure. Of course, it could be coincidence that all the cell cups are significantly out growing the beer cups, but my guess is that there is something to the cell tray approach. Just a thought.

:peacetwo: :Rasta:

Day 50 - Some pics

I just love the way this pic turned out. It's rare that I get a really clear pic with indoor lighting. I have an old digital camera with poor stabilization - the tiniest movement of the camera leads to a slightly blurred pic. So, I was surprised when it saw the results. It's young bud and a pretty one at that! Anyway, thought I would share it with you all - It's called Onyx.

Onxy_Bud_Closeup_hq.JPG

A couple of group shots - these ladies will be going 12/12 very soon.

Group_shot_day_50_full.JPG

Group_shot_day_50_2_.JPG

Group_Shot_day_50.JPG

:peace:

Day 50 and still in veg. Hope they don't stretch too much on ya!

I'm sure the tent will burst it's seams when all is said and done. Ultimately, I will be moving from the grow tent to an 8'x8' bloom room that I am currently putting together. In the future, the tent will be something to used for cloning and veg. I plan on going to bloom in the tent within a day or so.

I have learned a great deal so far - all things one should not do and will apply to the next grow.

Wish me luck!

:peacetwo:

I have learned a great deal so far - all things one should not do and will apply to the next grow.

Wish me luck!

Excellent. You are on the right path; no luck will be needed. But since you asked ...
:goodluck:

Excellent. You are on the right path; no luck will be needed. But since you asked ...
:goodluck:

Thanks - On the path I found these two staring at me after many hours of tending my garden and taking pics. I thought it was funny and ask myself, "what the heck were they thinking at that moment?"

He_Said_She_Said.JPG

All in fun - Happy Halloween

Time to go out and PARTEE!

:tokin:

Day 63 - I planted two autoflowering strains (ONYX and Blue Himalaya) and the following pics are how they stand today. Any suggestions as to how and when to complete the grow for these two? I know you should refrain from ferts during the last two weeks and perhaps a flush, but I can't tell when to start the two week clock. Any ideas from these photos?

Blue Himalaya
Blue_Himalaya_Top.JPG

Blue_Himalaya_Day_63_upper_mid_pic5.jpg

Blue_Himalaya_Day_63_mid_pic3.jpg

ONYX
ONYX_Top_Nug_day_63.jpg

ONYX_Top_Nug_day_63_pic2.jpg

ONYX_Lower_Nug_day_63_pic9_nice_lite_and_dark.jpg

ONYX_Top_Nug_day_63_pic5.jpg

Any thoughts?

Back