Growheart's Gals - Blue Cheese, K-Train - CFL Soil 2nd Grow

Growheart

Greetings 420mag, and thanks for checking out my 2nd grow. Glad to be starting this journal from the beginning this time, as I had not discovered 420mag before the first grow. A lot was learned on the first grow, and I hope to push myself and my plants during this grow to learn a lot more hopefully, and help the ladies reach their full potential! Of course I may be sporadicly updating but will try to keep it at least weekly, and for the seedling stage I am setting up a tripod to take as many daily shots as possible.

Decided to go with Feminised seeds - Blue Cheese, and K-Train. As I type this 3 BC and 1 KT have broken soil and are showing their first serrated leaves. Pretty amazed at how identical each BC looks and they all popped almost the same time. Both strains sound perfect based on the smoke reports - BC is a sativa great for daytime / being active, K-train is a harder hitting muscle relaxant / stress relief for night. Both strains flower at 9 weeks too and have similar growth profiles. Decided to plant 3 each to grow 6 total plants as this size was determined optimal. And will be soil once again, after much consideration and research into various types of hydro, advice was taken from some local growers and friends in the end.

With the previous grow still drying in closet # 2 which was to be our veg closet, they have been started in the flower closet for now. The goal will to be finding a proper drying rack and then getting a perpetual veg/flower with these 2 closets, plus a friend who is starting his own will just speed up the process of getting some good mothers & clones and a nice happy garden! :smokin: Have a friend who is trying to get approved for medical status and really stoked about being able to provide some homegrown for them too :)

Here is the short-n-skinny, the details... you know you want em.

What strain is it? Fem. Blue Cheese (BlueberryxCheese), Fem. K-Train(Trainwreck x Kush)
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages?
BC = 30% indica 70% sativa; KT = about 80% indica 20% sativa
Is it in Veg or Flower stage? 4/6 Seeds just broke soil surface (Nov 4)
If in Veg... For how long? Soaked in water Oct 31 - 4/7 broke soil Nov 4. I soaked in dist. water for about 20 hrs, planted, lights off for 6, then on to 21/3 cycle
Indoor or outdoor? Indoor
Soil or Hydro? Soil
If soil... what is in your mix? Seedlings started in Jiffy pucks, transferred into dixie cups - Dutch Treat potting mix w/ 1 " perlite at bottom
If soil... What size pot? Plastic red dixie cups, beer glass size
Size of light? 125 W CFL 6500k w/ rectangular reflector
Temp of Room/cab? 78-82 F day, 75-80 night (heating mat used for seedlings) -running small 80mm hanging PC fan
RH of Room/cab? 50% with water bucket inside, 30% without
PH of media or res? Distilled water at PH 6.5
Any Pests ? NO I hope not, cleaned the room spotless, new soil, pots, etc.
How often are you watering? 2-3 Days for the dixie cups
Type and strength of ferts used? None yet; will be using Hydrofuel Grow / Bloom unless I can afford some organic nutes.

:bong: pics coming up... :peace: :reading420magazine:

BCseeds.jpg

Well for those of you that like close-up seedling shots and lots of em... grab some :popcorn: and take a :bong: cause there will be a bunch of them for the first few days... If not then come back in a few weeks :) I love watching the seed do its thing and these Blue Cheese seeds are growing faster than any I've personally witnessed... Really fun to watch and they seem to be doing at almost the exact same pace, give or take a few hours. Giving them 21/3 right now.

First the obligatory setup shot - much less ghetto this time around. The seeds were soaked for 20 hours in distilled water in the cupboard above my fridge. As recommended to me, put them in clean porcelain cup with saran wrap seal on top and holes poked in that. When they were planted, i turned the lights out for 6 hours, then on for the next 24. There was already a rootlet poking out of one of the BC's... probably BC1 which is up next.
P1110509_planting_.JPG

Group shot with the CK in the righthandside - a seed found in a bag of Cali Kush, which I was told is OG kush x California Orange... Will keep a close eye on that one... :scratchinghead:
P1110577_group_shot_with_CK_.JPG

BC1- the first to show green leaves and was already open when I woke up after the 4th full day of being planted. (Nov 4)

Morning
BC1-morning.jpg

Afternoon - 4pm
BC1-afternoon.jpg

Evening
BC1-evening8PM.jpg

Day 2 (today Nov 5)
BC1-day2.jpg

Next is BC2 (I named them in order of sprouting)

(same pic sequence as 1; morning, aft, evening, Day 2)
BC2-morning.jpg

BC2-popping.jpg

BC2-evning8PM.jpg

BC2-day2.jpg

Here is BC3 which came out late but still made it to the party in the end... 8PM day 1
BC3-rising8PM.jpg

And then the next morning; 6AM then 8AM
BC3-day2.jpg

BC3-day2_8AM.jpg

Here is the only KT so far to sprout, nice and healthy alongside the BC's now.
KT1-rising.jpg

KT1-risen.jpg

KT1-evening8PM.jpg

(Day 2)
KT1-day2.jpg

And thats it for now... Wow I just previewed this post and tripped out a bit... Grow babies grow ;)

I'm subbed,pretty babies:rollit::peace:
HH + reps
Thanks HH, im definitely a proud father right now :p

My boy had some Blue Cheese awhile back. Great smoke. Good luck on your grow man!

:thumb:
Hey SmokeyMP, I can't wait to taste some fine aged cheese! Have been a cheese lover since being a small boy, so to discover a weed that tasted like cheese and is super potent, well, it got me excited! :)

Ok you got my attention...lol,:) I'll be waiting and watching,

Hey bro, glad to have you along! Stoked to see how your mini tote finishes up too.

:peace:

Hey Tmac, thanks for popping by, here take a toke :passitleft: and have a seat!

Still waiting on the last 3 to sprout... was impatient to pushed aside a bit of the top surface of soil, 1 KT and the CK have started rising, but the last KT shows no signs... Oh well, they were the lesser priced seeds. We actually got 6 fem. BC's, (must have overcounted), and 5 KT, so might plant the next two KT if these don't take. There is one healthy KT, but would love to have 3...

Uglymuppet

Quick Update

-Night temps are dropping during the 3 hours of lights off... Heating mat is keeping them nice and warm when its on but...
-Need to get a 2nd timer to control heating mat which goes off automatically after 45 min right now
-21/3 right now will move to 20/4 for a while before going to 18/6.
-Still just 4 seedlings, 3 have yet to crack surface
-125w bulb is about 2-3 " from seedlings - should I/could I go a bit closer or leave it till they're stronger?

New fan housing built with coffee tin & spray foam
fan_housing.jpg

Day 2 afternoon
group_day2_aft.jpg

Day 3 morning
group_day3_morning.jpg

Day 3 afternoon
KT1_day3aft.jpg

Day 3 evening
group_day3_evening.jpg

Day 4 morning
group_day4morning.jpg

Day 4 morning
group_day4morning2.jpg

Group with new fan, seedlings are just slightly shaking, its a very light breeze
group_withfan.jpg

i wouldn't change a thing.... do not get too much light until they get more leaf area. do not get them too close to the lights as well. nice fan set up!!! i like it... i have never used a heating mat so i can not give you any advise for that. i popped my seeds by setting the tray on top of my refrigerator and they stayed at a constant 80 deg until i moved them into a cabinet.

Hey Funny, the can seems to have increased the airflow from that sucker, it didnt move much air before. So id say go for it - make sure you airseal it like I did with the sprayfoam - at first it wasnt sealed, and was moving no air. I did a pretty ghetto / quick job on this without having many tools too but it seems to work well! I have it hanging right next to them, and it has a natural tendency to sway just a bit, enough so that it moves back and forth hitting all 4 plants every few seconds. Having little ones like this is so much easier to manage, Its like having little baby puppies right now that havent gotten big enough to make a mess LOL

Watered yesterday, the top of the soil was starting to dry. BC2 was showing some wilting / drooping leaves 1hr - 2 hrs after watering, drainage is good, so i just moved it away from the light for a bit, stayed there overnight, came back this morning and its perked right up again. RH is around 30-35% in there, not quite optimal I know... have a bucket of water in there, any other cheap / free ways to boost RH ?

Hey Funny, the can seems to have increased the airflow from that sucker, it didnt move much air before. So id say go for it - make sure you airseal it like I did with the sprayfoam - at first it wasnt sealed, and was moving no air. I did a pretty ghetto / quick job on this without having many tools too but it seems to work well! I have it hanging right next to them, and it has a natural tendency to sway just a bit, enough so that it moves back and forth hitting all 4 plants every few seconds. Having little ones like this is so much easier to manage, Its like having little baby puppies right now that havent gotten big enough to make a mess LOL

Watered yesterday, the top of the soil was starting to dry. BC2 was showing some wilting / drooping leaves 1hr - 2 hrs after watering, drainage is good, so i just moved it away from the light for a bit, stayed there overnight, came back this morning and its perked right up again. RH is around 30-35% in there, not quite optimal I know... have a bucket of water in there, any other cheap / free ways to boost RH ?

yea i see where the gaps are mines a square too haha umm i might have to pick one o those spraycans up but im pretty sure it aint cheap.... goto jet and buy dogfood as well as bakingsoda/ph strips... if i got some change then ill go get some.... im not in a rush to finish it tonight anyways...
i think simple methods do the trick lol i keep telln myself the same thing...
man i dont even use a bucket... i think im more ghetto haha i just put wet paper towels on a dish and by like 5 hours or so its dry so i know it gets a lil humidity off o that...
:goodluck: im just bouta read the harvest post or ima do that after i go groveryshoppn. toodles mate... lol

yea i see where the gaps are mines a square too haha umm i might have to pick one o those spraycans up but im pretty sure it aint cheap.... goto jet and buy dogfood as well as bakingsoda/ph strips... if i got some change then ill go get some.... im not in a rush to finish it tonight anyways...
i think simple methods do the trick lol i keep telln myself the same thing...
man i dont even use a bucket... i think im more ghetto haha i just put wet paper towels on a dish and by like 5 hours or so its dry so i know it gets a lil humidity off o that...
:goodluck: im just bouta read the harvest post or ima do that after i go groveryshoppn. toodles mate... lol

Hey mang the sprayfoam is only like $5 / can. I got the 'gaps & cracks' one. Always keep it simple when possible! Cheers, hope all is well in the Funny Tent
:peace: :rollit:

Oh what are you going to use to flower with? (CFL's or what)

Great job. Keep it up. You should get some good smoke from that Blue-cheese. It is one of my fav. strains.

Hey LED guy, right on dude its great to hear more about the BC - have not smoked it myself so am getting more excited now!
Its funny you should ask about the flower light, as that's what I've been debating the last few days... Looking at a 150w or 250w HPS, think that a 400 may be too big / hot for my closet. If not that then the CFL's again... but am realizing that HPS lights aren't that much more expensive so I dunno now! :reading420magazine: :hmmmm:

i wouldn't change a thing.... do not get too much light until they get more leaf area. do not get them too close to the lights as well. nice fan set up!!! i like it... i have never used a heating mat so i can not give you any advise for that. i popped my seeds by setting the tray on top of my refrigerator and they stayed at a constant 80 deg until i moved them into a cabinet.

Nice home made can fan:bravo:
HH

Thanks guys it was a combination of myself & roommate's creativity, we seem to come up with some good inventions (see last grow, the cage, which I inadvertently used the same idea as Gator's Cage, but with much less awesomeness than his) :reading420magazine:

With fluorescent bulbs, I have found the ideal range for distance from the plants to be between 4" and 8". Anything further than this and light efficiency is affected dramatically.

Thx for the feedback on lights smokey - keeping it at 3-4" now that they are starting their 3rd leaf sets.

And now - after a rip off my bong (smokin some Purple Berry rite now) *toke toke*

Update... Nov 11 ; 11 Days since germinating, 7 since sprouting

Not a whole lot changing, have watered them 3 times in total now, once on sprouting day, again this past sunday, and again yesterday just before lights out. Every 3-4 days about. The remaining 3 seeds still have not cracked, have given up hope for them but one of the KT's seems to be slowly making its way out. Happy with 4 for now, though may throw the remaining 2 KT seeds into it soon.

Day 8/4

Day_8_fs.jpg

Day 9/5

Day_9_from_seed.JPG

Day 10/6

Day_10_fs.JPG

Day 11/7 (Today)

Day_11_fs.JPG

KT 1
KT1_day11.JPG

BC 2
BC2_day11.JPG

BC 1

BC1_day_11.JPG

BC 3

BC3_day111.JPG

And now off to the Hash, Kief & Concentrates - 420 Magazine to learn how to make some good hash - bought a keif box today with a silk screen bottom, pretty sweet, will post some pics of that too.

:peace: :420:

And then there were 5

So yesterday, almost as if rising from the dead... KT 2 joined the party! The sickly looking white root started poking up and didn't even have the energy to pop the seed casing off, had to get the tweezers in there, but sure enough after a few hours there was green showing inside!
So I nurtured it with constant moisture via teaspoons of distilled water every 6 hours.

Overnight, it looks a lot healthier, with the cotyledons now fully opened up and the first leaf sets visible.

The cotyledons are very tiny still just like 2-3mm long, does not look as healthy as the others did, but will keep it around.
Even as it was rising I wasn't sure it would survive, but keeps proving me wrong.

Wonder what this late runt will end up like...
Too bad it wasn't the CK seed I planted (Cali Kush) to have a 3rd strain, that one and KT3 have yet to sprout. As for the other 4 seedlings, they are doing great, getting thirstier, and will recieve their first 1/4 strength solution tonight using - using RO water as Ive read that its even better than Distilled. ?

Time for some more homemade hash... so in love with this hash, its probably the best hash I've had because its so fresh.. yet when using the keif box & oven bake method it turns to that classic black, slightly sticky, which looks gold on the inside when u cut a bit off... going to post pics at the other journal of the process.

:roorrip:

Back
Top Bottom