Dieselryder Grow

KFeezy

So this is my second grow technically. my last grow was outdoor and waited to long to harvest and they frosted and died. I have now purchased a hydro setup from my local hydro store. I purchased a 400w HPS light, a pump, nuts, rockwool cubes, and some growing medium. I am currently growing in a closet.
I planted them on 1/7/11 and they sprouted on 1/9 these first pics are from 1/10/11 I have planted two in soil and one in rockwool. Reasoning for this is that i have tried small grows in the past and rockwool has never sprouted any seedlings but i figured i have a hydro setup that i bought with the light so i gotta try atleast one in that.
This is the rockwool one
IMG_12994.JPG

This is one of the soil ones
IMG_13014.JPG

This is the final soil one
IMG_13002.JPG

Then later that night i noticed that the one in rockwool was barely poking out the bottom
IMG_13023.JPG

Later that night i went out and got some bigger cubes which i have since planted it in a larger one which i soaked in water with 1/8th strength nutes before i planted it. I have been watering every other morning or whenever they get almost completely dry. I will post a pic of the new bigger rockwool cube tonight and get some pics from a better camera as well. This is the farthest i have ever gotten on my own with indoor plants. Any general advice that can be given is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

Re: Deiselryder grow

Are them seedlings under your HPS light ?

I think the general consensus is that seedlings are very delicate and only require very little light I think even a 20watt tube of 45watt cfl household bulb is better cheaper and safer at this point
you might get away with it i don't know what the percentages are so please don't flame me guys I'm only trying to help imho i would change to something smaller asap you dont wana burn them baby's

i was thinking about going to homedepot in the next few days and maybe trying to get a cfl setup. What would you recomend in the ways of wattage and amount of cfl lights for this ammount of seedlings?

EcoSmart 14-Watt (60W) Soft White CFL Light Bulbs (4-Pack) - ES5M8144 at The Home Depot

I don't know if there the right spectrum think the daylight ones are the blue spectrum bulbs

Four of those should be good? ill proly stop by there tomorrow and get some ill have to get a fixture also are the metal half dome looking fixtures better or should i get a bunch of those splitters and mount them on a reflective pan or something?

that should do the trick bro but theres a bunch of threads on here about cfl lighting you can prolly find something more simple that you dont need to start building stuff i use a 250 watt cfl on a adjustawing if you intend on growing perpetually you might wana invest in one of them of a few t5's so you can keep a veg room running

Hey I'm following. Just get a few 23W, and maybe a couple 45W CFL's and you should be ok for the next few weeks. Check out my set-up. I'm running around 300W total in CFL's (some 6500K, some 2700K). HPS is more for flowering. What's your light schedule? 18/6?.
Are you doing both hydro and soil?

Hey highandwired welcome to my grow!
Yeah im running on an 18/6 light schedule right now and i was gonna try both and see which ones turnout better =)
and ill for sure check out your setup

You will run into different problems with each setup. So...you'll have double the headache. You will have certain problems with soil and other problems with hydro. I would just choose one for this grow and go with the other for the next grow. Then you can compare and see which one you like better. Otherwise, especially that this is your first grow, you will be pulling your hair out every day. :lot-o-toke:

Step 1 - Decide How to Anchor Your Plant and Choose a Container
When you grow a plant hydroponically, it must have something to hold on to and this is called the medium. There are various choices of mediums, including rock-wool, heydite, peat, coco husks, vermiculite, and other organic materials. The container you choose should ideally be one that is clear, like a plastic bowl or a jar. This allows light to easily reach the plant.

Step 2 - Remove the Plant from it's Current Home
Whether it is a new plant or an existing plant, carefully remove the plant from the container, being sure not to damage the root ball. Holding the plant over a container, begin to work the dirt away from the roots. This can be done by gently massaging the dirt to break it away. The main concern is to make sure the roots are not damaged.

Step 3 - Wash the Plant
When you've worked away as much dirt as you can by massage, you can then use water to wash away more of the dirt. You can do this by immersing the plant in water or by running a gentle stream of water over the plant. Continue to carefully work the dirt off the plant. You may not be able to get all the dirt off, but get as much as possible.

Step 4 - Add the Plant to Your Chosen Medium
Once the plants is dirt free, you can add the plant to a net pot or other vessel that allows water to flow through. Set the plant so that it's roots spread out in the net or vessel. Fill it with your chosen medium until the roots are covered ant the plant is stable.

Step 5 - Add Water
Place the plant into your hydroponic container with water, but make sure some of the plants roots are still exposed to the air. You may need to add more of your medium to the hydroponic container to stabilize the plant.

Step 6 - Feed the Plant
You will need to feed the plant with an organic fertilizer specifically for hydroponic gardening, or you can make your own.

Taken from :Transplanting a Plant From Soil to Hydro | DoItYourself.com

Honestly, I have no experience with hydro myself. I've never moved plants from soil to hydro. I'm sorry but I can't advise you when to do it. You don't even have to move them...it was just my suggestion that you try a style of growing one at a time...and not all at the same time. It's totally up to you if you want to do both hydro and soil but I'm quite sure you're going to have many many problems. Everyone does.

Before i post updated pics of the babies i thought i would give i little more info on the equipment that i was using.
This is the hood that i have been using.

dsc-001417.253789

I have been using Ionic fertilizers mostly because it came in a package with the light

dsc-00394.253964

This is the ballast i have been using to power my 400w HPS bulb it is now placed on a shelf above the light instead of below

dsc-001513.253955

This is the cheaper thermometer that i bought i noticed at this point that the temp was still a little high but it is now resting at about 78F

dsc-00356.253963

Before i post updated pics of the babies i thought i would give i little more info on the equipment that i was using.
This is the hood that i have been using.
DSC_001417.JPG

I have been using Ionic fertilizers mostly because it came in a package with the light
DSC_00394.JPG

This is the ballast i have been using to power my 400w HPS bulb it is now placed on a shelf above the light instead of below

DSC_001513.JPG

This is the cheaper thermometer that i bought i noticed at this point that the temp was still a little high but it is now resting at about 78F
DSC_00356.JPG

Back
Top Bottom