New to Indoor - First Indoor Grow - HOG - 2011

Macgyverup

Hello out there in 420 land and thanks to this great site for allowing all these great ideas to come together in one place! As the title says I grew outdoors many, many years ago in the Golden Triangle of Cal, and can't remember a thing :tokin: I didn't think I would enjoy it as I love being outdoors, but what I found is that it has been really challenging and well... fun... at least so far... still awake? Good!

A friend thinks I can make just about anything out of well... anything, and encouraged me to share my experience. Hence the user name. So here goes!

What strain is it? Indica as best I know.

They're currently in Veg. I started with ten HOG clones from the local collective. They were brought home on 1/31/2011. So my best guess is they have been in veg for about 6 weeks. Two weeks at the collective and @4 weeks with there new dad.

I have converted an old shed and put it together in my garage. Getting this built inside the garage was a real challenge. :high-five: Pics to follow.

The soil they are in is a mix of @ 55% Medicine Man, 32% ReadyGro, 10% Perlite, 3% Wormcastings and 30 ml of high N Bat Guano, in 5 gal containers.

I use 2 ea. 600w MH in 6" Cooltubes with reflectors (for veg).
The lights are cooled with 1 ea 6" Vortex inline fan w/speed control, and draw air from the lower front part outside the grow room (see pics). There is also an 4" Vortex fan w/speed control w/an 6" x 16" Phresh filter.

I maintain the room temp @ 75-82 f. The room is cooled using a HydroFarm A/C unit, 16" oscillating fan and 2 small 6" fans. The temperature is controlled by an LuxPro 300 thermostat.

The two 6" fans are used along with Co2 BoostBuckets. I now have a full Co2 setup and will remove these as they run out. I use a CAP Reg1 regulator set at .5 cfh. The timer is set to an on/off 15 min cycle. The room is @ 500 cf. 9.5'x7.5'x7' high. The actual grow area is 4'x8'. I have perforated Co2 tubing just above the lights.

RH is kept at 40% using a HydroFarm dehumidifier and GreenAir controller.

I use tap water ph'd to 6.8 after it has been airified using a Eco Air dual air pump and stones for 24 hr minimum. I have a 20 gl container I use for this and my nutrient tea.

I have been struggling with Fungus Gnats this past week. I have been using pest strips and wine in small disks to get them under control. I plan on using bti as soon as I can purchase some. Will probably use mosquito dunks.

I water with nutrient tea about every other day or so with 32 oz/950 ml of tea.

My nutrient tea consists of:

High N bat guano (will change to high P when in flower)
Worm castings
Hygrozyme
Thrive Alive
Sweet Raw
Liquid Karma
Cal Mag
Maxsea 16-16-16
Unsulphured Molasses

Every third batch I add Subculture B

Since I am new to growing indoors please feel free to pipe in on anything you think I have missed or could do better. I do have some questions and will post them later. Thanks for reading!

:cheer:

Here's my grow room in the garage.

002605.JPG
005508.JPG

019137.JPG

These are the girls transplanted to 1 gl containers when I brought them to there new home on 1/31/2011.
011319.JPG

Two weeks later (2/14/2011) I transferred them to 5 gl containers.
1_2-13.JPG
1_R2-13.JPG

I'll add more pics soon. My connection is really slowwww! These will show where I'm at to-date.

Re: New to Indoor-First Indoor Grow-HOG-2011

Thanks to all for the kind words. All posts were lost in that mess yesterday and the day before. So I'll do my updates again today and re-post my ???. :thanks:

I did get a reply from kannabis kid (i think) on the LST issue. Thanks. I did LST the other colas and will post the pics here shortly.

Also I think someone asked about molasses. I responded that I use 5ml per gl in my nute tea and foilar spray.

I'll try to visit all your grows today and post in kind.

These pics show the grow to-date. I LST'd them yesterday and took these pics today.
002607.JPG

005510.JPG

The saucers are filled with wine for trapping gnats, and since they are California girls, I use Chardonnay. :rollingeyes: Seems to be helping. I also started treating them with bti today. This should help eliminate the problem.

Question:

I have no experience with nute teas and was wondering if organic nutes need to be flushed? If so how often?

:thanks:

Organic compost tea/guano tea or any other tea does not need to be flushed as you would have to flush chemical fertilizers but I wouldn't give them in the last week before chop anyway.

Glad I could offer some help. The ladies are looking good. Are you still in veg or have you switched to flower yet?

Hey KK,

Still in veg. What I'm thinking is that I will take some clones next week and wait til they get to 2' before I switch. But I'm starting to anxious so I may start sooner. If they double @ 2' I should be OK. :hmmmm: Anyone got advice on cloning HOG? I tried a few weeks ago with rockwool with Rootech and 5.5 ph'd H2O but not one started any roots after 14 days.:oops:

Organic compost tea/guano tea or any other tea does not need to be flushed as you would have to flush chemical fertilizers but I wouldn't give them in the last week before chop anyway.

Thanks HR! This is my first time with organic nutes so I really appreciate the help.

:thanks:

Update:

I used mosquito bits to try and get the gnat problem under control and it worked great:thumb: Two days after I applied it there were hundreds if not thousands of dead gnats falling on the floor and trays. I first thought it was specks of dirt, almost like sand, but when I took a closer look it was all dead gnats. Thanks to 420 for helping me find an organic solution.

I found this awesome flowering info on 420 grow forums last week:

Female Pre-Flowers and Flowering

After reading this I started inspecting them for the pre-flower pistills and found a few on some plants. Then I inspected them daily and now they are all have pre-flower pistills.

They are still at a height that will allow for doubling (one can only hope):blalol:

I'll put up a pic shortly.

Here's a pic of the pre-flower pistills.

004552.JPG

Its a little blurry but I think you'll be able to see 'em. They're the small hair looking things in the middle of the pic. You can see the split which if I remember correctly is the "Y" chomie which means they are female.

I will change over to HPS and 12 hr cycle tomorrow.:woohoo:

Awesome grow space:goodjob: Looks Like you got everything covered even a portable A/C. Babies Are looking good I am going to stick around for this one.:popcorn:

Thanks HR. I use the bits instead of mosquito dunks. If anyone is having this problem I highly recommend this page: What Biological Controls are Available for Fungus Gnats?

I couldn't remember where I read this when I first posted so I searched and found it again. Thanks to Medical Marijuana 420 Member for the great info!:goodjob:

I use a teaspoon of the bits in 5 gl of ph'd H2O/or nute tea and let it sit for 24hrs. Then I just water the plants with it. Works great!

Back
Top Bottom