Magic Beans' Advanced LED Diamond Series 200w VS. 250w HPS - Lemon Skunk Flood Table

Magic beans

Hello 420!

This is going to be my second grow journal here at 420, the first almost finished!
:woohoo:

Anyways this journal will put a 250w HPS up against the new 200w Diamond series from Advanced LED.

Strain: Lemon Skunk

In a 2x4 Flood Table - 6 inch netpots stacked, straight Hydroton. fed every 2.5 hrs.

Nutrients: FloraDuo A, B, Florablend and liquid KoolBloom

veg time: about 4 weeks, topped and LSTed for yield and space

Flower time: Approx: 55 days

Due to the differences in sizes of the plants, I will not compare and contrast with yield per plant as a factor. The main point of this grow is to get some GREAT NUGS, but also I will be comparing yield per sq. ft. and g/w

Each light will get a designated 2x2 footprint of growing area to work with. I am flowering for the first 5-7 days with just the T5s, because I have them growing in the 5x5 tent and I am going to move them once ive chopped down the ladies in the 2.5x5 tent, then throw the lights in and game on!!

Heres a shot of the lights side by side
day_52_0031.jpg

and this is the ladies first day of flower today
day_52_0041.jpg
day_52_0051.jpg
day_52_008.jpg
day_52_007.jpg
day_52_006.jpg

Notice the binder clips on the edge of the flood table? thanks to Mr. Krip for that simple but brilliant idea for LST.

One of the plants is in the top of a waterfarm. After deciding that pineapple chunk was the strain I wanted to keep, I just threw my was-going-to-be Lemon Skunk mother into the tray to give it a bit more full of a canopy.

Last but not least, Here is a preview to my next journal, to come within the next couple weeks. here are some Pineapple Chunk clones. 12 of these ladies are going to be thrown into the Flo N Gro system in the 5x5. Exact lighting TBD. Also, I have cracked a couple Vanilla Kush seeds and have them in cubes with the clones.
day_52_0011.jpg

48 hrs after germination... I think theyre going to be vigorous!
day_52_0021.jpg

Well I will update this journal as soon as I have these ladies moved and under their new lights.

Re: Magic Beans' Advanced LED Diamond Series 200w VS. 250w HPS - Lemon Skunk Flood Ta

I'm in. Should be cool. Any speculation on final results?

Re: Magic Beans' Advanced LED Diamond Series 200w VS. 250w HPS - Lemon Skunk Flood Ta

No idea. But one thing is for sure: if the LED yields significantly more, i will not look at hps ever again. If it only yields slightly more, or less, I will set money aside for more of them for summer use only most likely. They really help on scorching temps. I can maintain perfect temps in the summer with them and the AC. Hps makes my place way too hot in the summer.

What is the actual power draw of that LED panel?

Are you physically separating the two designated grow areas or will they be in one location where the light from one can contaminate the results from the other?

I don't know about the LED, but that HPS fixture looks like it won't broadcast light in a square footprint. Have you considered changing the shape of its designated space to better suit it?

Are you going to remote the ballast in the HPS?

@TS ahhhhh such good questions. I have read a few of your posts on lighting and i know you are very edumacated and involved in the constant debate of led technology. To answer your questions: I honestly dont know the actual power draw but I remember SteveHman mentioned it once in his ladt grow. Im not positive but i think its in the 210-240 range. Somebody chime in for that please.

Although true results might raise a bit of debate or skepticism, the results are mainly for my personal reference. I will not be separating these lights THIS TIME at least. They will, however be spaced far enough apart to give accurate and satisfactory results. Besides, many people could do the same comparison but get different results based on many other factors.

I will be LSTing the plants as the stretch during the beginning of flower. I will train them padt the edges of the flood table as to cover as much space as possible to ensure I fill the entire footprint of each light.
The ballast, unfortunately, is inside the unit. To battle heat the light will be placed close to the exhaust with a fan blowing up at it. I dont believe heat will be an issue.

Thank you, TS for your questions and input and i hope to see you along for the ride!

First I want to wish you the absolute best with this grow.

if you dont mind my newbish questions:

1. I see roots coming out of the pots in the tray. With them being exposed to light isnt that a bad thing?

2. You mentioned feeding every 2.5 hrs. No worries of roots drying or getting burnt in that time?

3. Your main feed res seems HUGE to me. Is it not too big? overkill even? In my lil pea brain I think X nutes per gal res. Ratios always stay the same. So having a triple X size res wastes $$ on nutes. Obviously you dont want too small. But I'm new to it all so I want to ask/learn.

I think I have a small understanding of the type of hydro this is. But I assumed there was some sort of root protection being applied in some manner to keep them from direct light.

I look forward to following this magic. Do well!:peace:

First I want to wish you the absolute best with this grow.

if you dont mind my newbish questions:

1. I see roots coming out of the pots in the tray. With them being exposed to light isnt that a bad thing?

2. You mentioned feeding every 2.5 hrs. No worries of roots drying or getting burnt in that time?

3. Your main feed res seems HUGE to me. Is it not too big? overkill even? In my lil pea brain I think X nutes per gal res. Ratios always stay the same. So having a triple X size res wastes $$ on nutes. Obviously you dont want too small. But I'm new to it all so I want to ask/learn.

I think I have a small understanding of the type of hydro this is. But I assumed there was some sort of root protection being applied in some manner to keep them from direct light.

I look forward to following this magic. Do well!:peace:

Hey Bassman! All good questions!

1. Yes, many of the roots are exposed to some light. I've done lots of research on how to maintain flood tables and from that research ive concluded that these roots in the tray are no biggie. Originally, I wanted to make a cover that fit the table and the netpots to block light, because algea is the main concern with the light hitting the water. So far Ive had a few spots of Algea ive had to wipe up. One thing that i find may be a plus the roots showing: If Ihave a root related problem I will be able to diagnose irt quicker and more accurately.

2. Every 2.5 Hrs worked perfectly in the flo n gro so I decided to use in with my flood table and its been working as I had expected. Now that roots are piling out of the netpots like drunk people from the club, you raise a good point. Now that you mention it, that does sound like a possibility of the roots drying out. I have read that as long as theres a tiny bit of water in the irrigation lines of the table, the should be safe, but Iwill definitely be on my guard!

3. In hydto i personally believe the bogger the rez the better! I can fill my rez more and forget about it. You cant really overkill your plants with a big rez unless you add too many nutes. Its all about ppm. My rez could be the size of Salt lake, but as long as my ppms are low it will feed the plant the same without burning it. Another thing is that I fill my flood table almost to the brim. I go a couple inches more than the average flood table. I dont really waste more nutes, so to say, because filling my rez more allows me to go more time without changing the rez. I usually change the rez when ive replenished the total amount of the original fill, if that makes sense.

Again, great questions base and glad to have you aboard!

@Xlr8: glad to see you could make it!

@OMM: welcome, its an honor to have you.

@Hosebomber: ive seen you around here and there. Welcome to the grow!

Also if any experienced growers have any light to shed on the above questions (hehe shed light), please let me know!

~~~UPDATE~~~
(FINALLY!)

Hello all,

first and foremost please excuse my absence lately here at 420. Very hectic past few days I've been having (a good hectic lol). After the chop on my last grow I was able to move my flood table to the 2x5 tent and begin the 250w hps vs 200w Diamond series comparison. After placing the ladies in their new home and flipping the lights, I discovered how narrow the core coverage of the 200w Diamond series really is. Definitely not criticizing, Just mentioning that it is a very direct light. I have the 250 HPS covering a little more space than the 200w diamond series because of that. Everything is going good so far. I am still waiting for the buds in my last grow to cure some more, and I should have a full report in a few days. I am still very busy getting things prepared for journal 3 and should be back on regularly in a few days. Anyways, I hope all is going well for my fellow 420ans and I will be going through my subscribed threads shortly. I would like to give a shout out to mastershuffle, who's first grow was just abandoned due to some root and algae issues. Many growers would have been too discouraged to continue growing after such an upset, but mastershuffle will continue on with a new grow here shortly. A perfect example of when you fall, dust yourself off and try again!

Now, for the update;

DAY 11 flower

Temp: 75-81
rH: 45-55
ph: 6.1
ppm: 425

day_11_0011.jpg
day_11_0051.jpg
day_11_0031.jpg
day_11_0021.jpg
day_11_004.jpg

Now it's time to go train my dragon... :bongrip:

Congrats on having the LED light. It's a new design with bigger lens. This company is the only one right now offering them. I'll be getting a few for the next Summer grows. Plants are looking good. Can't wait to see how the LED's results.

Have you thought about putting a wall between the LED and the HPS? This will block out the lumen from each lights. Sharing lumen could effect the outcome of both which may not be for accurate comparison. Adding some reflective material like mylar or white paint on the "wall"(could be made out of carboard or plywood) to reflect back the lumen preventing it from spilling over. It's up to you. Sharing lumen is a good thing. Not sure how control you want the experiment to be...

Very nice, Beans! :welldone:

Plants look awesome and I'm looking forward to seeing the new light perform! :cheer:

Have you thought about putting a wall between the LED and the HPS? This will block out the lumen from each lights. Sharing lumen could effect the outcome of both which may not be for accurate comparison. Adding some reflective material like mylar or white paint on the "wall"(could be made out of carboard or plywood) to reflect back the lumen preventing it from spilling over. It's up to you. Sharing lumen is a good thing. Not sure how control you want the experiment to be...

That is a good question 12. This grow is mainly for getting quality nugs. The comparison is mainly for my own personal results. I have thought of purting a wall in for more accurate results, but its not in my priorities, if you know what I mean. Although i will say this: i havent seen any other HPS vs. LED comparisons and if enough people request it within the next week or so, I will definitely put one in for the sake of arguement and to give more accurate results for the 420 community. Because after all, we post journals here not only to show our goods and request help, but to help and inform our fellow 420ans, correct? So so far, you, and TorturedSoul have mentioned a barrier. I will count those as "requests" for a wall. If I get ohhh lets say 6 more "requests" in a couple weeks, consider it done!

@McMuffinFace: welcome and thanks for sitting in on this one! Im just gonna guess you like McDonalds for breakfast? I like Weedies: breakfast of the champs!

Back
Top Bottom