1970s' Blue Planet Organic Soil - Smellyberry - Super Lemon Haze - Vanilla Kush

1970s Grower

I am not going to leave out any details on this grow and there will be pictures of every step. A newbee should be able to take this journal and recreate exactly what I do. It may not be flashy but it will be set up as a recipe for success or failure depending on how it turns out. There are many growers here with more grows and knowledge than I have. My first grow had ups and downs an is in the final 3-4 weeks of flowering and things are looking good. If you want to see how that turned out follow the link at the end of this post.

• Strains: SmellyBerry, Vanilla Kush, Super Lemon Haze, ICE, Wappa, BLue Mistic
  • Stage:Germination
  • Indoor using 14 27 watt CFLs in a 4'wide x 1'deep x 3.5'tall cablinet.
  • Soil: Fox Farm Ocean Forrest
  • Started with 18oz Solo cups-Holloween Black to reduce light on roots
  • I will move to 1 gallon sqare Hydro containers with FFOF soil
  • Finally I will finish in 3 gallon pots 9" high
  • Size of light: 14 26watt CFLs 6500K for Veg, 2700K for Flower
  • Aircooled: Active Exhaust 2 70 CFM computer fans. Passive intake of 2 4" vents on bottom of cab.
  • Temp of Room/cab: 72F winter, 80F summer
  • RH of Room/cab: 40-50 RH
  • PH of media or res? I move from 6.2 to 6.8 to assure even nute uptake
  • Any Pests: my wife, my dog, and my cats
  • How often are you watering: Depends on pot size
  • Type and strength of ferts used: Blue Planet Organic Farmers Pride starting at 2 weeks old

Re: 1970s' Blue Planet Organic SOIL-Smellyberry,Super Lemon Haze,Vanilla Kush

I used the plate/towel method as you will see in the pictures and description below.

I had pretested temperatures before I started germination. Directly on top of the cable box was too hot at 95F inside the plates. If I added a small magazine to heatsink it a bit, the temp inside was 84F... Perfect!

THe first thing I did was lay out my seed map on the top plate used as a cover. I used stickers to indicate the strain and number of seeds of that strain.

I put a paper towel on the bottom plate, wetted it with distilled water and place my seeds on the single layer paper towel in accordance with the seed map made on the top plate.

I then placed two layers of paper towel on top of the seeds. I use the second layer to add more weight to assure the towels stay in contact with the seeds. I wetted the top layers with Distilled water and closed the plates by putting on on top of the other. I then place the plates on top of the cable box and a magazine.

In 8 hours I had 2 roots and a few more cracked seeds. In 18 hours it was time to plant 7 seeds. There are 3 more seeds not yet popped. I will add a little water and leave the 3 on top of the cable box and magazine.
Germination_BPN_Organic_001.JPG

Germination_BPN_Organic_003.JPG

Germination_BPN_Organic_004.JPG

Germination_BPN_Organic_005.JPG

I prepped my containers by drilling 4 holes on the bottom and 2 holes on the sides at the very bottom. I used Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil and gently sprinkled the soil into the 18oz solo cups 3/4" from the top. I then smoothed the soil along the top being careful not to compress it. I then put used the but end of a Fine Point Sharpie and pushed down into the soil far enough to accomodate the root length of the seed being planted. I like to leave 3/8" to 1/2" of soil over the top of the seed. It's very important to get the root to the bottom of the hole and the seed to the top. So we need a whole the length of the root plus 1/2". Sometimes, when the root curls back up to the seed this cant be done. Don't stretch the root. Just cover it with 1/2" of soil and let nature decide what happens!

As I plant a seed, I label the cup using a sticky label with the name of the strain. Later I will lable some soil markers/sticks jsut in case I lose a sticker. Its good to have both in case you lose one or the other.
Germination_BPN_Organic_008.JPG

As soon as the germinated seed is in the soil it is covered with 1/2" of soil and sprayed using a mister bottle with RO water PH'd to 6.5 I give it about 40 squirts of mist and then seal it with a baggy and rubber band to hold in the humidity. I then place it under 2 CFLs to give it light and heat so it will hopefully pop ghrough the soil in 24 hours.

Germination_BPN_Organic_010.JPG

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the possible shock from temperature differences. If your seeds are germinating at 85F, you want to use soil as close to that temperature as possible. In my case the soil was about 70F. Not as warm as I wanted it but close. Also the RO mist water should be warmed up a bit also. 5-10 seconds in a microwave got mine to arround 80F which is close enough.

Yesterday I planted germinated seeds. One day later I have 6 seedlings out of 7 poking through the soil.

So if do the math right... with the methods above I have germinated, planted, and seedlinged 6 plants in less than 48 hours.

New_Seedlings_001.JPG

New_Seedlings_002.JPG

New_Seedlings_003.JPG

New_Seedlings_004.JPG

New_Seedlings_005.JPG

New_Seedlings_006.JPG

Of the 3 seeds still germinating it has now been 48 hours. One Smellyberry seed is cracked and the root is trying to out but still has not made it. I am not sure if I should plant it or leave it be. The Wappa seed has done nothing as has #3 Smellyberry. I will keep an eye on them and hopefully I can get at least 2 more to sprout. If not, I will need to germinate some more seed. I only have the one Wappa Seed as it was a freebee with my order.

:welcome: to the BPN Army!!! can't wait to see what you have in store for us!!! your name has now been added to the enrollment list!!! Thanks for letting me know your here with us!!! Feel free to write me if you have any issues!!! and stop by my journals as well!!!

:peacetwo:

10/23... Seedlings day 4

This is my first grow with known seed ever. I am finding out that each straing has its own patterns, even at the seedling level.

My Super Lemon Haze plants are the only two that are stretching. Its like they need more light, but the other strains are nice and low. See the pic below... The SLH is much higher than the rest.

Sunday_cabs_002.JPG

Also my ICE from Paradise Seeds is having a hard time standing up straight. She want to lie down if I take the baggie off. The stem has the right color (no purple) but is very thing and can't take the air movement from the fan. I have to keep the baggie on her for a while.

The two Vanilla Kush are Identicle, nice easy seedlings with strong but purple stems. They seem the hardiest of the bunch.

THe Smellyberry are very difficult to germinate. It took 4 seeds to germinate two plants. I have hope for a last seed out of 4 as its still in the plate but I am losing confidence.

Wappa germinated fine but has not sprouted. Not sure what happened there, I haven't given up on Wappa yet but wil soon.

All in all I have 8 seedlings out of 11 seeds so I gues thats not too bad.

T
Sunday_cabs_002.JPG

Everything is looking great! I have the same problems with my new seeds. I wouldn't stress too much on the purp stems it could be a few things. It could be a genetic thing but not a problem and it could be an environment issue which will correct itself once the root system kicks into overdrive the first few weeks of their lives.

Looks good, can't wait to see what you get from this grow.:thumb:

I may have missed it and I dont remember if you mentioned it but are these Fem seeds?

im interested in seeing this grow room you have!!!

:peacetwo:
Thanks for adding me to the Blue Planet Army Listing. I hope to do the list Justice. THere are some fantastic growers there... It kind puts the pressure on me.

My grow room is my music studio. I put some 1' deep x 4' wide x 3.5' high cabinets in the room to store cables and music stuff. I started by converting one for my first grow which isnt doing to bad. I harvest in 2 to 3 weeks. It uses 14 27W CFLs

I also have a room under the stairs I am thinking about getting an HID light for. Still on the fence. I will have to see how much yield I get when I am done and how long it lasts.

Heres some pics of my cabs...

Sunday_cabs_003.JPG

Heres both cabs together. You can see a little of my first grow.
Sunday_cabs_006.JPG

Heres the cab of my first grow. Pic was taken today.

Sunday_cabs_008.JPG

Sunday_cabs_010.JPG

Sunday_cabs_014.JPG

Wow...great journal...excellent details..Can't wait to see how those little babies develop into full blown nuggies!! I also have my grow area in my music studio!! I'm in for this one for sure!!

Everything is looking great! I have the same problems with my new seeds. I wouldn't stress too much on the purp stems it could be a few things. It could be a genetic thing but not a problem and it could be an environment issue which will correct itself once the root system kicks into overdrive the first few weeks of their lives.

Looks good, can't wait to see what you get from this grow.:thumb:

I may have missed it and I dont remember if you mentioned it but are these Fem seeds?

I think in my case it is genetics as only the Vanilla Kush are purple. All other factors in this grow are identical. Both Vanilla Kush are purple but nice short stocky stems. Both Super Lemon Haze are green but have long stems.

All seeds are supposed to be feminized seeds. I forgot to mention that.

Wow...great journal...excellent details..Can't wait to see how those little babies develop into full blown nuggies!! I also have my grow area in my music studio!! I'm in for this one for sure!!

Thanks so much for the compliments. I think the music brings good growth/karma to the plants. I noodle at the guitar for while until my fingers gets sore then go look at the plants. Repeat.

I've seen both your grows and curing pictures mouthwatering. Probably the best home made scrog I have seen here.

Thanks for coming along!!!! I can surely use your wisdom and experience.

I am going to ask a dumb question.... what is the yellow paper for in your pictures? I am sure it has a purpose but can't figure it out.

Looking good!!! Sorry I'm late. :) :welldone:

Thank for coming in and your not late! Your just in time!

UPS brought me my Nutes today. Blue Planet Farmers Pride Organic.

Watering_day_009.JPG

A huge THANK YOU goes out to Corey at Blue Planet Nutrients. I am so excited to use these.... 100% Organic and the results that others are posting are just phenomenal! :thanks:

Our BPN journals are pretty much starting around the same time. I am just waiting for my seeds and some crucial necessities and I'm off! :lot-o-toke:

looking good so far bro! You're going to have some amazing plants on your hands when you start feeding them those organics

Back
Top Bottom