SteveHman's Grow 7.0. Advanced LED - Multiple Strains

OK, I have a few minutes to get the next journal started. I will be journaling my tent grow, I started the chamber grow 10 days ago but I will only be maintaining one journal from here on out. The chamber may make an appearance every now and then in this one, but this is really about the tent grow.

Strains:
The Missing (EVA Seeds)
S.A.G.E. (TH Seeds)
White Widow (DianFem)
Blue Venom (G13 Labs)

Media:
2 gal Smart Pots filled with 75/25 Coco/Perlite

Nutes:
Blue Planet Nutrients 3-part Elite series with Bloom Booster

Lights:
Advanced LEDs Diamond Series. (2) 300w units

Tent size:
Secret Jardin 120 (4x4)

Objective:
I will be shooting for a higher yield with less wattage than last grow. The goal is to yield more than 1GPW. In order to achieve this I need to net 38 grams dry from each plant. Last grow each of the four plants in smart pots yielded that much. I think the expectation is realistic this round.

I am not doing a comparison, or any tests this go-around. This is purely my attempt to surpass the 1GPW bench-racer's mark.

Grow style:
I will let the clones veg for 2~3 weeks in order to fill in a SCROG type screen, although this isn't going to be a true SCROG. I will be using the screen(s) as support more than a way to keep the canopy even. I will be topping/FIM'ing the girls until each has 6 good looking tops and then I will flip them into 12/12.

I will be using the GLR routine for my veg lighting, also known as the 12/1 method. I have been using this now for 6 months and have not noticed any negative impact on my moms or clones.

Modifications from last grow:

As you know by now (if you've read my other journals), I love PVC. Best, cheapest, most versatile project material there is. I added some 90's on each upright in the tent. I used a step-drill to make the holes. If you are putting together a tent for the first time, do this before you have the tent on the frame. I had to do some minor dis-assembly to get these on.

DSCN05355.JPG

I placed some "T's" on the bottom support rods:
DSCN05365.JPG

ANd now just cut and slip fit together your SCROG support(s) and anti-tent-suck support. I placed 3 90s on each pole so that I can have up to three SCROG screens in place to support heavy plants. I will be using either 2 or 4 inch wire fabric found in the fencing section of the home store. Zip-tie it in place and your SCROG is done.

I also built a small platform to raise the bins off the floor. I did this for a couple reasons. Last grow I had a problem with condensation, the moisture got under the bins and soaked through to my carpet. By raising the bins up 12 inches it will allow airflow below the plants and will keep the floor dry. Also it will be easier on my back not having to bend over so far.

DSCN05385.JPG

Here are the two large concrete mixing tubs, $5 each local Home store. They are 2x3, which leaves space on the platform for a fan and a small dehumidifier.

Here is the left and right sides of the tent. Four clones of each strain. From left to right; Missing, SAGE, Blue Venom, White Widow.
DSCN05416.JPG

DSCN05425.JPG

And a wide shot of the whole tent:
DSCN05403.JPG

The first few weeks will be boring, so don't feel obligated to post a comment, it will get interesting quickly though. I may even post a few pics of the chamber to keep everyone's interest in the interim.

:Namaste:

Re: SteveHman's Grow 7.0. Advanced LED, BPN, multiple strains

Steve, have u used advanced nutrients before? If so why do u like blue planet better? the reason im asking is because I use the recipe for success and ive been seeing alot of nice grows with advanced, but real talk i cant afford that stuff, I like the results im seeing with Blue planet and it fits my budget thanks.

I'm using BPN mostly because A) it works B) its affordable C) Corey is a very active sponsor and will answer questions from members.

I have also had great luck with CES, but have never tried advanced. I am getting to the opinion that nutrients are all about 95% the same. The extra 5% difference may or not make a huge impact on your grow, but I can't see it being worth twice as much (in some cases 4x's).

I would say to use what you feel most comfortable using. If you're on the fence, give BPN a try. For the cost of one qt of another product you can get the entire 3-part series (3-1qt bottles), enough to get you through a few grows.

I like the anti-suck in setup u have rigged for ur tent. Im gonna have to do this with my tent.

I was thinking about upgrading my tent to the Dr240w but the more i think about it im going to just get two dr120s so i can have two flower rooms one for autos and one for standard flowering. I like the advanced Led lights but the price is kind of steep, i have to spend 1500$+ for 3 ds200s and i can get the same coverage and power draw from two blackstar 500s and save 500$+. I wish someone would do a grow to compare blackstar and advanced led.

I was thinking about upgrading my tent to the Dr240w but the more i think about it im going to just get two dr120s so i can have two flower rooms one for autos and one for standard flowering. I like the advanced Led lights but the price is kind of steep, i have to spend 1500$+ for 3 ds200s and i can get the same coverage and power draw from two blackstar 500s and save 500$+. I wish someone would do a grow to compare blackstar and advanced led.

Cooljay,

I commend your interest in going LED. Allow me to interject some thoughts.

Blackstar uses 2w & 3w LED. 1.) They do not state how many of each. 2.) are these single chip or 2w 2chip, 3w 3chip? 3.) why would we want to buy any light with 2w chips when 3w single chip is the standard? 4.) How many actual watts is the 500 drawing from Blackstar? Their website doesnt say and they didnt answer the phone so I am not sure how you know it's the same power draw. 5.) 1 year warranty? Look around and you'll find Advanced and GrowStealth LED offer 2-3 yr warranty. 6.) Both GS and Advanced offer 90 day return policy. I dont see where BS does.

I have not found out the actual wattage of the 500 from BS. But I would be willing to bet it's actual draw is less than 320 watts.

I highly suggest you do some more research before you make your decision. Best wishes in your grow.

Stevehman,

well done on the support and scrog setting pvc setup. I put up a simple pvc frame in my tent for the same reasons. Anti suck and a way to add string for support of branches. But I like your corners and slip fit over bottom frame. well done.

Hey if you don't mind, what are the inside dimensions of those square tubs?

Hey, steveh, do you think those concrete mixing tubs are sturdy enough for an ebb and flow table with maybe 3-4 inches of water? Those are perfect for4x4 tents. Also I was curious if you use an oscillating fan in your grow? My biggest problem is the fan takes up a lot of space that could be used for plants or my inline/carbon. One last Q.. How is your tent ventilation set up as far as where the fan/filter are mounted and how you exhaust.

Thanks a ton! Because of your grows I recently bought a 200 watt DS for my grow. Gotta say it seems to cause more resin production.. Have you noticed this compared to HPS?

Cooljay,

I commend your interest in going LED. Allow me to interject some thoughts.

Blackstar uses 2w & 3w LED. 1.) They do not state how many of each. 2.) are these single chip or 2w 2chip, 3w 3chip? 3.) why would we want to buy any light with 2w chips when 3w single chip is the standard? 4.) How many actual watts is the 500 drawing from Blackstar? Their website doesnt say and they didnt answer the phone so I am not sure how you know it's the same power draw. 5.) 1 year warranty? Look around and you'll find Advanced and GrowStealth LED offer 2-3 yr warranty. 6.) Both GS and Advanced offer 90 day return policy. I dont see where BS does.

I have not found out the actual wattage of the 500 from BS. But I would be willing to bet it's actual draw is less than 320 watts.

I highly suggest you do some more research before you make your decision. Best wishes in your grow.

FYI...I did quite a bit of research and settled on the BS 500w for my 2'x4' flowering tent. It does NOT use any 2w chips. There are 168 true 3w chips and I don't remember the actual power draw but it's just over 300w.

I chose it because it was a good, solid light with a good reputation and had about the lowest cost per USABLE watt of any of the LED's I looked at. So far, I've been very happy with the performance.

I'm quite sure there are better performing LED's out there, and a comparison would be great, but for the price, I do think the BlackStar is worth considering (I don't get any discounts or referral fees! :)).

Also, for what it's worth, I also had a BlackStar 180 UFO that had a power supply failure and they quickly replaced it with a brand new (and much better!) light (this was documented in some detail in my journal), so I've been very happy with their service and support. :Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom