Bassman's Master Kush - Blue Planet Nutes - Grow Stealth LED Grow #3

Welcome to my 3rd grow! This grow is NOT for the feint of heart! :thumb:

This will be my first grow using 100% hi defoliation technique from veg. My current grow started off with only a couple started this way in veg, while the others grew out normal a bit then I switched them to defoliation as well. That grow was also way too crowded with multiple plants in bigger tubs.

To properly use this technique I am switching to 5 gal buckets, 1 per plant. During veg, tubs will not be RDWC, just DWC. Cooled in 2nd tubs with added ice bags/jugs. Chiller will be used in flower stage during RDWC.

This grow is from seedling, Master Kush females, all in 5 gal buckets. This is a 4 plant grow.

What strain is it? Master Kush
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? Hybrid
If in Veg... For how long? May get 60+ days veg. Depending on other factors.
Estimated Flowering period: 63-77 days
Soil or Hydro? Recirculating Deep Water Culture with Sunealves Aqua Chiller 1/10 hp during flowering under LED
Size of light? 600w GrowStealthLED 600w Pro Bloom in flower. CFL's during veg.
Is it aircooled? yes
Type and strength of ferts used? Blue Planet Nutrients Blue max 2 part, with AN B52, Voodoo Juice, Hygrozyme.

Air pump-stones: 134 LPH per bucket

Following are pics from today at roughly 18 days from seedling. Feed is set at 340-370ppm presently. I'll be increasing that next week to around 700ppm or so using .5 conversion meter. Water temps are 68f.

You will notice one oddity. Tape around the stem of 1 plant. When I came home from work a few days ago, this plant had fallen over. There was a 1/2" section of stem about 1" above the root riot cubes that had turned brown and shrunken. I have no idea why. So she's been propped up and today I tape wrapped her bad spot. I expect, just like when we super crop she'll harden up there and be fine. At least I hope so as I have no more seeds for a 4 plant run if she dies. But she looks fine and has great root development.

For all the others, today was 1st defoliation. I suspect next week or maybe mid-next week will be first training after the leaf explosion this week.

On to pics:
P3130001.JPG
P31300031.JPG
P31300041.JPG
P31300051.JPG
P31300061.JPG
P3130007.JPG
P3130007.JPG
P3130008.JPG
P3130009.JPG
P3130010.JPG
P3130011.JPG

Re: Bassmans Master Kush, Blue Planet Nutes, GrowStealthLED Grow #3

After Defoliation on 3/4 plants and a root shot.

P3130012.JPG
P3130013.JPG
P3130014.JPG
P3130016.JPG

Hygrozyme is used somewhat as a preventative to root rot. It also helps break down decaying plant matter into beneficials for the roots. It's an enzymatic solution loaded with amino acids.

Welcome to my grow AK!

Hi Bass,

Again, I'm amazed by your brutality! But I've seen the results, it seems to work for you. I'm curious about how the trimming goes on your plants that are just about ready for harvest...that's the only drawback I can see...cleaning them.

Your babies look very happy, and I'm sure they'll recover from your butchery and produce some great meds for ya.

:thumb: I'm subbed

:peace:

Hi Bass,

Again, I'm amazed by your brutality! But I've seen the results, it seems to work for you. I'm curious about how the trimming goes on your plants that are just about ready for harvest...that's the only drawback I can see...cleaning them.

Your babies look very happy, and I'm sure they'll recover from your butchery and produce some great meds for ya.

:thumb: I'm subbed

:peace:

Trimming is ok. Last grow was bushy, but not like the present one. So I guess I'll let ya know for sure soon.

Thanks and welcome!

TY Bass, So, now I have another question.......is that the same as H202? This is what I have been using.

Peroxide kills the bad stuff, hygrozyme turns it into food. They can be used together.

on grow #1 when I had root rot issue do to water temp, it was suggested after I cured the issue, to not use h202 every week and possibly create an immunity buildup. Just use it as needed.

Another grower told me recently to add 2 drops of bleach per gal of water every week. Just 2 drops. This would keep any bad shit from producing.

Peroxide kills the bad stuff, hygrozyme turns it into food. They can be used together.

on grow #1 when I had root rot issue do to water temp, it was suggested after I cured the issue, to not use h202 every week and possibly create an immunity buildup. Just use it as needed.

Another grower told me a recently to add 2 drops of bleach per gal of water every week. Just 2 drops. This would keep any bad shit from producing.

I started using bleach in a RDWC at the rate of 1 drop/gallon for new solution then 1/2 drop per gallon every 3-4 days into res. I have had no problems and shiny roots. I previously tried H2o2, zone, etc. etc. (in my 1 previous grow mind you) and battled various plights. At some point the bleach is toxic. Wonder what that point is? I think I'll look into that, seems important...

Another grower told me recently to add 2 drops of bleach per gal of water every week. Just 2 drops. This would keep any bad shit from producing.

I have been using the H202 in my res every week. I'm just nervous about getting the root rot again after battling it so much in my first grow. There is so much conflicting information out there that it makes it hard for me to decide on either how to prevent it or cure it.

I started using bleach in a RDWC at the rate of 1 drop/gallon for new solution then 1/2 drop per gallon every 3-4 days into res. I have had no problems and shiny roots. I previously tried H2o2, zone, etc. etc. (in my 1 previous grow mind you) and battled various plights. At some point the bleach is toxic. Wonder what that point is? I think I'll look into that, seems important...

If you figure it out please let me know!

AK, water temps are a sure cause for root rot. Keep em below 68.

2 drops per gal is safe.

Hygrozyme is used somewhat as a preventative to root rot. It also helps break down decaying plant matter into beneficials for the roots. It's an enzymatic solution loaded with amino acids.

Welcome to my grow AK!

I've had good luck with Dutch Master "Zone" in DWC for helping prevent root rot. It's what always worked best for me. In DWC, those nutrient water temperatures are so so so so so important to keep cool, or you will always battle root issues (at least that's what it seemed like to me). Obviously, aeration needs to happen, but cool water holds so much more oxygen than warm.

On the subject of Hygrozyme. I just bought some for the first time. Was one of those impulse buys, but I thought it might be good with my Coco coir smartpots, as they by nature kill off the roots at the edge of the pot. Seems like this might make good use of that organic material. We'll see.

I never thought of using it in DWC - I think I assumed it wouldn't work well, as so many things aren't friendly with constant aeration like that.

h2o2 works as a regular additive (many do it) but I think for routine maintenance something like "Zone" would be better, personally. It seems to really work for me anyway. I'm not sure on bleach, but I can see how/why it might help if done very carefully, too. Now Hygrozyme I'm curious on and know nothing about - do you have feedback on it yet Bass ?

Looking good so far! Those tubs they are in would be a great way to cool the buckets with ice or something - I should try that next time I do a DWC bucket (I don't have a chiller, and I struggle with nute water temps in DWC sometimes. I think you have a chiller though, right?

:popcorn:

Thanks for chiming in XLR8.

My chiller is being used in the flower tent only.

Yes I use those tubs for precisely that reason. To drop ice bags/small ice bottles in to cool the nutrient in the 5 gal buckets. It's working well for now.
Once the go into flower they will be moved into an "H" shaped 5 bucket (one is main res) RDWC with my chiller in my tent. The nice thing is I'll have the buckets all pre set up and will only have to lift the tops off and move the girls directly in, plant and all.

If you remember my root rot issues in my first grow, it was because of water temps. That's when I went and bought a chiller and made it rdwc. Now I dont even think about it. But, back then I used h202 to kill the root rot, and hygrozyme to keep em good n healthy in the root zone. So this is now the 3rd grow using hygrozyme. When I run out I might do the bleach method. Two drops per gal once per week is all it takes. If that works well then I'll have saved a bunch of $$ not buying hygrozyme any more.

Someone at my local hydro store actually told me not to use h202 every week. Just use it when needed as the constant application of it could form an immunity to it. So I'm going with that for now. I have it if I need it.

Thanks for chiming in XLR8.

My chiller is being used in the flower tent only.

Yes I use those tubs for precisely that reason. To drop ice bags/small ice bottles in to cool the nutrient in the 5 gal buckets. It's working well for now.
Once the go into flower they will be moved into an "H" shaped 5 bucket (one is main res) RDWC with my chiller in my tent. The nice thing is I'll have the buckets all pre set up and will only have to lift the tops off and move the girls directly in, plant and all.

If you remember my root rot issues in my first grow, it was because of water temps. That's when I went and bought a chiller and made it rdwc. Now I dont even think about it. But, back then I used h202 to kill the root rot, and hygrozyme to keep em good n healthy in the root zone. So this is now the 3rd grow using hygrozyme. When I run out I might do the bleach method. Two drops per gal once per week is all it takes. If that works well then I'll have saved a bunch of $$ not buying hygrozyme any more.

Someone at my local hydro store actually told me not to use h202 every week. Just use it when needed as the constant application of it could form an immunity to it. So I'm going with that for now. I have it if I need it.

Do you think you need any root rot preventative @ all if using a chiller? What would be the other reasons why you would get root rot besides high water temps? Acquiring minds need to know before I throw in clones @ the end of the week or so. Thanks in advance.

While I can't say with 100% certainty Puffpuff, I believe that with water temps sub 68 you can't get root rot. This is as I understand it because the baddie organisms can't grow in sub 68 (so I was told).

That being said, bleach is a preventative as it kills off stuff. But hygrozyme is a enzyme with amino acids and other stuff that is beneficial to the roots as well. I'm just thinking that I may drop that when I add bleach because I'm not sure they should be used together (like hygrozyme and h202 can be), and hygrozyme is pretty expensive. I could maybe better spend that money on another beneficial nutrient, or possibly hookers.

Do you think you need any root rot preventative @ all if using a chiller? What would be the other reasons why you would get root rot besides high water temps? Acquiring minds need to know before I throw in clones @ the end of the week or so. Thanks in advance.

While I can't say with 100% certainty Puffpuff, I believe that with water temps sub 68 you can't get root rot. This is as I understand it because the baddie organisms can't grow in sub 68 (so I was told).

That being said, bleach is a preventative as it kills off stuff. But hygrozyme is a enzyme with amino acids and other stuff that is beneficial to the roots as well. I'm just thinking that I may drop that when I add bleach because I'm not sure they should be used together (like hygrozyme and h202 can be), and hygrozyme is pretty expensive. I could maybe better spend that money on another beneficial nutrient, or possibly hookers.

I agree, if you keep it cool enough consistently it probably isn't necessary. Having said that, I know the DM Zone I use lasts quite a while, so I see it as cheap insurance IF there is any doubt as far as temps or stagnant water, etc. (it's still not foolproof if conditions really stink, though).

Thanks for the info on the hygrozyme, Bass. I think it'll be a good thing for these coco coir smartpots.

I don't know about running h2o2 all the time - Dutch Master has a good article on their website somewhere about using h2o2, and not to use it all the time, but then they sell a product that would essentially compete with it, so it should be taken with a large grain of salt.

Bleach freaks people out, BUT, it can even be ingested by humans when heavily diluted. I've heard of people adding it carefully to well water so it's safe to drink (kill bad organisms in the water). I've done no research on it as an additive, but I'd think really hard about trying it unless you have rock solid advice on how much/how frequent, how effective, etc. Cannabis doesn't like chlorine much at all. I use it to clean my hydroton between uses now, but I'm thinking of switching to h2o2 instead.

Back
Top Bottom