Surfbuddy's GLR 2L DWC-H Coco Lowryder - Big Bud - BubbleGum - Northern Lights

SurfBuddy

This journal is for comparison to the DWC next to it, and actually has plants from the other grow to be able to make an accurate side by side.
Inspired by Twelve12, I'm joining his experiment.

I would like to thank all here for the help and guidance they have/will provide. Suggestions and comments are welcome and appreciated.

Grow info:
Light cycle: GLR 12 - 5.5 - 1 - 5.5
Bucket Size - 2L DWC-H (Deep Water Culture Hempy)
Medium - Coco from a compressed block
Lights - 4 T8 LED's (1x Blue, 2x Daylight, 1x soft white) 2 T8 Florous, daylight) Will add CFL's and more T8's later as they get taller
Nutrients - GH Flora, Hygrozyme, ST
Current premix: per gallon: 1/4tsp GH M,V,B, 1 tsp Hygrozyme, 1 drop ST, 1 tsp h202
Strain(s) - BigBud, Bubblegum Northern Lights, Lowryder
# of Plants: 5
RH 65%
Room Temp 81

Around mid day, Two lowryder seeds were set in a coffee cup with 1/8 inch water in it. The cup is sitting on a heat mat with a regulator set to 80 deg, and the cup has a saucer on top to block out light and keep in heat and moisture.

I've never used coco before, and the block has to be soaked. I imagine that's why they sell it in smaller bricks, because I had a hell of a time cutting it last night when I was overtired :) I finally figured out to cut it lengthwise with a steak knife and peel off layers, rather than trying to cut out a brick shape...

Now for some photos... The 2L DWC-H with coco in it. Holes made with a hot nail. Slow, but the holes come out nice and smooth.
2L-DWC-COCO.jpg

Here are the first two transplants, BigBud and BubbleGum-- I ran out of time before the NL got transplanted... These came from the DWC grow right next to it. The big bud got 2 hydroton rocks that were tangled in the roots :)
2L-DWC_BG1_-BB2_2012-04-08_.jpg

Re: Surfbuddy's GLR 2L DWC-H Coco Lowryder, Big Bud, BubbleGum, Northern Lights

Looking forward to see how these 2L's work out for you. Next week I plan to start a WW clone in the same 2L design with perlite/vermiculite and do a side by side with the same strain but in a full size 5 gallon DWC. Both with blue planet nutrients.

Hey teSmp,
looking forward to watching yours too... a 2L vs. 5gal? Hardly seems fair LOL. But I guess that's why we're trying it out...

Hey teSmp,
looking forward to watching yours too... a 2L vs. 5gal? Hardly seems fair LOL. But I guess that's why we're trying it out...

Yes certainly unfair! However, it will be same grow style, strain, nutes, bulb, etc so it should be interesting to see. Biggest point will be yield and easiness to care for. I could fit 4 2L bottles or more in the 5 gallons place but the DWC could yield quite a bit more so we will see! At the same time it would require having more plants.

Looking great there SurfBuddy! Can't wait to see how they work out from seed. I never tried it with seeds only with clones. So it will be interesting to watch.

teSmp That's very cool. To compare the 2L vs 5gal DWC take the final yield from the 2L and multiply it by 9.5 (because 5gal has 18.9L). Then take the sum and compare it with 5gal yield to get an idea.

Looking great there SurfBuddy! Can't wait to see how they work out from seed. I never tried it with seeds only with clones. So it will be interesting to watch.

teSmp That's very cool. To compare the 2L vs 5gal DWC take the final yield from the 2L and multiply it by 9.5 (because 5gal has 18.9L). Then take the sum and compare it with 5gal yield to get an idea.

Will do! Twelve12, mind heading to mind journal and seeing my little problem and suggesting what you think I should do!

Hey Twelve12, I'm worried that My drain hole is too high? It's about 2" down from the rim, but it seems like there's not much air above the water line.. it almost seems like there is a vacuum under the top piece? I have lifted the top a little (it was wedged in) and it seemed to help.. Maybe it doesn't matter.

NL seedling has been transplanted. It's amazing how much bigger the leaves got on the other two in the 2L DWC-H in the 5.5 hour dark today. Lovin the GLR.

SurfBuddy It does look a bit too high. You can always tape it up with gorilla tape and make new hempy hole. I had tested both high up and mid way but could not conclude the experiment because I had to shut it down in haste. If you like, test it one with high up (2in down from rim) and another one at 3-4in down from rim. Glad to hear the GLR is working its magic!

High Mark30g

oh you have another journal going
subbed

Retooled the holes, at different heights, but left the higher holes, no need to cover them, is there?

New exhaust fan 240cfm is working nicely.

lowryder seeds have both cracked, one at 1/4" and one at 1/8", waiting till tomorrow to put the small one into root riot cubes to try to help em bust faster.

love coco + GLR-
anyone have experience with a regular FWC with coco... would it clog the pump too much?

anyone have experience with a regular FWC with coco... would it clog the pump too much?

Uh, should have been DWC, not FWC. Twelve12? are you there?

lol yeah you're right no need to tape up the higher hole if a lower one is made. I had it the other way around. Great now we wait for the action.

Regular DWC and pump you mean air stone? No it shouldn't clog it up. You may get root tangling itself to the airstone though. But you can always chop them after harvest and save the airstone for the next run.

Twelve12 - I guess I meant a coco coir RDWC, so I have a separate pump that is feeding drip (for now but eventually water) to the res where the plants are hanging from a separate larger res. The extra res makes it easier to keep the water cool with ice bottles. Maybe I'm just over complicating it, but I thought I was simplifying it. I had read the horror stories of others who had ice inside the res and it killed off roots.

I want to try coco but worry about the coco clogging the water pump.

SurfBuddy said:
Mark30g - Start to finish, no transplant.

That's interesting and what type of yield can u expect from small pots (approx? i understand there's a whole heap of fine tuning your GR plus nutes needs to considered) but looks cool and nice 2 see how your Northern lights and Big Bud turns out? As i have em amongst my collection and looking forward 2 seeing plenty of pic's m8 lol
Happy Growing fella:)

Back
Top Bottom