James' Soil - Multi-Strain 2012 Grow

jameswri85

Hey all,
I am back for round 2!!
Doing things completely different this time around!
I have a much smaller space now (30" X 30" X 5' under stairs area) and will only be doing 6 at a time hopefully eventually turning into a perpetual system! I have also upgraded my lights and decided to use the wick system for watering!

The strains this time are:
3- Love Lettuces (seeds I pulled off of a plant last grow that a light fell on)
3- unknown bag seeds (known to be good quality at least)

Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? Love Lettuce 75% Sativa
Rest are unknown

Is it in Veg or Flower stage? Vegging
If in Veg... For how long? 3 Weeks
Indoor or outdoor? Indoor
Soil or Hydro? Soil
If soil... what is in your mix? 40% Pro-Mix, 40% Coco coir, 20% Perlite
If soil... What size pot? 3 Gallon
Size of light? 1 400W MH and 1 400W HPS (just need new HPS bulb)
Is it aircooled? not like it should be
Temp of Room/cab? lights on between 78 and 81 degrees, lights off 68
RH of Room/cab? floats between 30 and 45%
PH of media or res? 6.8
Any Pests ? No, and I'd like to keep it that way!!
How often are you watering? Using a wick system, just keeping res's filled
Type and strength of ferts used? So far just one 1/4 and one 1/2 strength feeding of FF big bloom, Going to be ordering the 7- part organic BPN line by the end of the month!! Can't wait for them!!!

Re: James' Organic Soil, Multi-strain 2012 Grow

Well I had a bunch of problems on my last grow from the start. The biggest was not enough lighting for the space, this time around I have half the size room and twice the amount of light!!!

I am also using the wick system from the start which had been way way easier.
IMAG10524.jpg

Each plant just soaks up as much or as little as they need through the rope, no need for over or under watering, just make sure the res is filled!

I used the seeds dropped in a cup of water for germinating method and when the tip popped out they went into the dirt. All 6 went into soil 3/20/2012. One week later (3/27/2012) this is them:
IMAG10423.jpg

Four days later (3/31/2012) they seemed like they were starting to get hungry:
IMAG10534.jpg

So I gave them 1/4 strength FF Big Bloom with a little bit of superthrive.

Top shot of all 6, one of them has something wrong with it and doesn't want to grow much (this one will probably be replaced with a clone I am hoping to take): 4-2-2012
IMAG10693.jpg

4-3-2012 (14 days old from going into dirt)
IMAG10863.jpg

The one in the front left LSTed herself for some reason.
IMAG10922.jpg

4-5-2012
I started the transplants:
IMAG11032.jpg

A root shot:
IMAG11101.jpg

By 4-7-2012
I was done re-planting and they looked like this:
IMAG11222.jpg

4-8-2012
I fed 1/2 strength FF Big Bloom (3 tsp/Gal)

4-10-2012 (21 days old):
IMAG11342.jpg

I started LSTing the front left in that picture now I have 3 tied down!!
IMAG11493.jpg
IMAG11524.jpg

A view of the wick setup, I have 3 trays, the 2 on either end have nutes and the one in the middle stays plain water for if I need to dial one back some.
IMAG11483.jpg

There will be more later, just need to get pictures taken, I just gave them full strength nutes for the first time yesterday (4-11-2012). They are doing great still!!! I already love the smell on my fingers after playing with the leaves :)

Here is an idea of how my room is set up, my light is hung lamp pointing out the door and when I get the money for a new HPS bulb I will have both lights mounted side-by-side. I still need to figure out a way to rotate the lights easily and dispense the heat out of the room.. but that will get figured out when I get to it.
IMAG11601.jpg

This is them on 4-11-2012 when they looked to me to be asking for more food.
IMAG11402.jpg

Here is my runt:
IMAG11392.jpg

I believe that I will be pulling this one and then I'm hoping to top this gal:
IMAG11702.jpg

and clone the top and stick it in a 2L :cheesygrinsmiley:, I may also start 2 more seeds and try fitting three 2L bottles in the space of the one 3 Gallon bucket.

Can anyone explain to me what exactly classifies a "hempy" grow? Is it the substrate used? the watering method? the bottles? the stretchy appearance?

I'm also figuring when I do up the 2L if I put my drain holes at 2" and a rope feeding in at 2-1/2" if they would still work on my wick system. Has anyone tried this? If so did it work? Or does anyone know why it wouldn't?

Here is how they all looked a few hours ago:
IMAG11681.jpg

Their staying healthy, green, and upright, just how I like 'em :cheesygrinsmiley: :Namaste:

Hey, thanks for stopping in Stoned4daze61!

I don't want to switch to 12/12 until I get my BPN nutes! That will be about another 2 weeks.

I figure in that time they will get to a good size and I am most likely going to UBT one of the sativas, and I have already started LSTing the other two:
IMAG1186_with_edits.jpg

If they still start to get unruly before I get quality nutes then I am going to SOG the taller ones or all of them if need be.

I pulled the defective one last night as it isn't going anywhere and just wasting space and light. However just to try it, after I pulled it I cut the larger fan leaves and the roots off, lightly scraped the stem, dipped it in clonex, and shoved it back into the dirt. Probably not going to do anything but O Well!!
IMAG11882.jpg

I may also need to pull another one up. This one I'm much more upset over...
One of my more promising ones that I was going to UBT and clone developed two of these, same node just on either side:
IMAG1176_with_arrows.jpg
IMAG1173_with_arrows.jpg

This is the plant:
IMAG1179.jpg

I don't plan on pulling this until I know for sure that they are balls and not just a calyx but it doesn't look to good to me, maybe someone with a keener eye can tell me better?

Also what are everyone's opinions on the best way to cool a smaller area like mine. 30" X 30" usable area with shelves on 3 sides.

I have a fan blowing across my bulb toward my exhaust fan. AC units are not an option as I have no where for the exhaust heat to go. I also don't have much money to buy a portable type AC.

In order to keep the temps down right now I have the door open (not an option once I start flowering) with a larger fan blowing in.

With the fan blowing in it stays about 82 but then my humidity drops to 30-35%. With the fan next to the room blowing sideways across the door my humidity goes up to about 40-45% but my temp also goes up to 86. It has spiked to 90 with mid to high 20% humidity a couple times when I didn't refill my cool mist humidifier in time.

I have been shutting my light off for 1/2 hour every couple hours to let the temps drop but I really don't want to do this for long as that is many more start-ups on my bulb and light stressing my plants.

Here's an option I am considering:
I have a freezer with an ice maker across the room and a floor up. It will be more work than I really wanted to do but if worse comes to worse I may have to try it.
Taking the cold water line that goes to the ice maker and run it into my room first with a radiator of sorts hooked up in front of a fan. I can hook the fan up to a thermostat so it shuts off when the temp gets down to 78 and turns on at anything above that. The ice maker seems to run constantly so it will always get fresh supply of cold water through the lines.

As I said that is a last resort as hoses would have to be ran on the outside of the wall and with the work involved to accomplish this I would like to find an easier way.

I plan on picking up another fan soon that I can clip onto a shelf and preferably oscillates.

Any help/ suggestions/ ideas are appreciated!!
:thanks:

Here's a group shot of them a few minutes ago:
IMAG11891.jpg

Possible male in the back left
3 love lettuces in the back right.. front right(LST).. and front left(LST)
Unknown seed in the front middle.. this one seems to have slightly blue tinted leaves around the edges and looks pretty cool

Also just measured from the top of the buckets to about where the bottom of the light will be at the highest point and it's only 36" :(. I am going to keep LSTing them down and topping as needed and probably need to put in a screen when they are about 20-24" tall. Hopefully I can find a way to order nutes sooner, if not maybe just use a higher strength of the FF BB since I don't want to use the Grow Big or the Tiger Bloom?

Any opinions on that? They haven't shown any signs of being burnt but the most I've used is 6 tsp/ Gal Big Bloom, and I also have to assume that using the wick method I lose some of the nutrients to absorption through the ropes, anybody ever hear any numbers on that? I'm guessing its no more than 20% loss but at this point I am suppose to be using Grow Big with it (non-organic).

Should I up the dosage to say 8-10 tsp/Gal to compensate for the lack of Grow Big and rope absorption?

Here's a group shot of them a few minutes ago:
IMAG11891.jpg

Possible male in the back left
3 love lettuces in the back right.. front right(LST).. and front left(LST)
Unknown seed in the front middle.. this one seems to have slightly blue tinted leaves around the edges and looks pretty cool

Also just measured from the top of the buckets to about where the bottom of the light will be at the highest point and it's only 36" :(. I am going to keep LSTing them down and topping as needed and probably need to put in a screen when they are about 20-24" tall. Hopefully I can find a way to order nutes sooner, if not maybe just use a higher strength of the FF BB since I don't want to use the Grow Big or the Tiger Bloom?

Any opinions on that? They haven't shown any signs of being burnt but the most I've used is 6 tsp/ Gal Big Bloom, and I also have to assume that using the wick method I lose some of the nutrients to absorption through the ropes, anybody ever hear any numbers on that? I'm guessing its no more than 20% loss but at this point I am suppose to be using Grow Big with it (non-organic).

Should I up the dosage to say 8-10 tsp/Gal to compensate for the lack of Grow Big and rope absorption?

Why not just start flowering with the fox farm nutes? They can still grow great plants, and just switch to BPN whenever you can. I looked the strain up and it says it flowers 9-11 weeks, that is not too bad for a 75% sativa strain. It also says it can get 6 feet indoors. 36" of space isn't much to work with, 420fied's Snow white plants flowered right out of the cloner in a 2L get around 2'. Is it possible to take the light fixture out of your hood and hang a bare bulb vertically in the middle with the plants surrounding it. I'm not sure if you have seen any vertical grows but the results are pretty impressive. Seems like it would work better if you have height issues and you're getting the full 360 degrees of the bulb.

I don't know too much about wick systems but common sense leads me to believe that non-organic (synthetics) would work better because they are measured with a TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) meter. Since they technically dissolve in the water it would be wicked up the rope easier then organics. I don't know if you plan on using the wick system with your bpn 7-pack because I don't think it would work too well. I have the 7-pack & it contains things like bat guano, molasses, worm castings, etc. I don't want to say it wouldn't work but I think it would be hard for things like that to wick up the rope.

Hey, thanks for stopping in Stoned4daze61!

I don't want to switch to 12/12 until I get my BPN nutes! That will be about another 2 weeks.

If they still start to get unruly before I get quality nutes then I am going to SOG the taller ones or all of them if need be.

Also what are everyone's opinions on the best way to cool a smaller area like mine. 30" X 30" usable area with shelves on 3 sides.

I have a fan blowing across my bulb toward my exhaust fan. AC units are not an option as I have no where for the exhaust heat to go. I also don't have much money to buy a portable type AC.

In order to keep the temps down right now I have the door open (not an option once I start flowering) with a larger fan blowing in.

With the fan blowing in it stays about 82 but then my humidity drops to 30-35%. With the fan next to the room blowing sideways across the door my humidity goes up to about 40-45% but my temp also goes up to 86. It has spiked to 90 with mid to high 20% humidity a couple times when I didn't refill my cool mist humidifier in time.

I have been shutting my light off for 1/2 hour every couple hours to let the temps drop but I really don't want to do this for long as that is many more start-ups on my bulb and light stressing my plants.

Here's an option I am considering:
I have a freezer with an ice maker across the room and a floor up. It will be more work than I really wanted to do but if worse comes to worse I may have to try it.
Taking the cold water line that goes to the ice maker and run it into my room first with a radiator of sorts hooked up in front of a fan. I can hook the fan up to a thermostat so it shuts off when the temp gets down to 78 and turns on at anything above that. The ice maker seems to run constantly so it will always get fresh supply of cold water through the lines.

As I said that is a last resort as hoses would have to be ran on the outside of the wall and with the work involved to accomplish this I would like to find an easier way.

I plan on picking up another fan soon that I can clip onto a shelf and preferably oscillates.

Any help/ suggestions/ ideas are appreciated!!
:thanks:

Thanks for the welcome!

What Size is your exhaust fan ?

If I'm understanding this right you're room is 45 cubic feet. According to the ventilation thread buy Smokymacpot you'd want an exhaust around 200-250 cfm. Since you don't have an air cooled hood, & you said you will be adding a second light you might want even more, and if you put a filter on then you would also want about 20% more cfm's.

Passive intakes should work, made at the bottom. With the exhaust fan on the opposite side on the top. Keep the fan pointed at the bulb to blow hot air into exhaust fan, and another near the top of the canopy level and you should be good. Here is the 420mag Ventilation thread

How Much Ventilation Do I Need in My Grow Room?

I wouldn't be turning the light off & on like that, bad for bulb and ballast and really bad for the plants. Could cause hermies.

Your humidity is quite low for Veg but it won't do much damage at all. It is almost perfect for flower. Just mist with water a few times a day if possible while they are in Veg.

What do you mean when you say you will SOG them if they get unruly before you get quality nutes? Did you mean Scrog? Cause I saw you mentioned putting a screen in earlier.

Can anyone explain to me what exactly classifies a "hempy" grow? Is it the substrate used? the watering method? the bottles? the stretchy appearance?

Just to clear this one up too since I didn't see anyone help you out. Hempy is a method of growing using a container, here is some info quoted from another site that will tell you pretty much everything you need to know!

To make a hempy bucket is simple all you need to do is this

Get your self a bucket any color but clear as you will end up with algy forming as the nutes react to the light .

The size of the bucket can very from 1 gal (4lt) to 5gal (20lt) roughly I personally like useing a 10 lt bucket and have had up to 19 oz cured yield from a single bucket but it depends on the strain and given pheno .

Once you have your bucket then get a drill and drill a drain hole in the side of the bucket about 2 inch from the bottom , The drain hole can be around 7/16.

And the medium i use is perlite/vermiculite at around 3 to 4 parts perlite to 1 part vermiculite.You can use volcanic rocks but personally I found the perlite / vermiculite a lot better in many ways.

All you need to do now is basically add the rooted clone or seedling water with nutes and thats it,I would water it daily until the tap root and root system has headed down to the res but once you see a desent growth rate id then start to water every 2 days.

The only thing wrong with it is you need to hand water and you get run off from the drain hole thats it and as far as checking your PH well the only time you need to do that is when you mix your nutes i like useing a PH of 6.2 PH .

Although you can use any sized container, I've seen very large 5 gallon hempy's. People also use other mediums such as coco,hydroton,etc.

Thank you for all the help and info Stoned

Why not just start flowering with the fox farm nutes? They can still grow great plants, and just switch to BPN whenever you can.

I wanted to try and stay as organic as possible, although I probably will not have 100% organic, I'd like to stay as close to it as I can. If it comes down to it and they start showing signs of nut def than I will need to start using the rest of the FF trio until I get the BPN's.

It also says it can get 6 feet indoors. 36" of space isn't much to work with, 420fied's Snow white plants flowered right out of the cloner in a 2L get around 2'. Is it possible to take the light fixture out of your hood and hang a bare bulb vertically in the middle with the plants surrounding it. I'm not sure if you have seen any vertical grows but the results are pretty impressive. Seems like it would work better if you have height issues and you're getting the full 360 degrees of the bulb.

You had me considering this for a moment... That is what I did on my last grow because I didn't have a horizontal mount bulb. The problem I see with it is
1) I could only fit one bulb instead of both and
2) I only have 30" X 30", the bulb takes up about 6" and a minimum of 8" away from the bulb on all sides already uses up 22" of that space leaving me only 4" on either side for plants

I don't have a hood for my light, it is already a bare bulb sitting out. If I can find the means to do so I would like to make my own 2 bulb hood with an exhaust fan hooked up to it.

I don't know too much about wick systems but common sense leads me to believe that non-organic (synthetics) would work better because they are measured with a TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) meter. Since they technically dissolve in the water it would be wicked up the rope easier then organics. I don't know if you plan on using the wick system with your bpn 7-pack because I don't think it would work too well. I have the 7-pack & it contains things like bat guano, molasses, worm castings, etc. I don't want to say it wouldn't work but I think it would be hard for things like that to wick up the rope.

You are spot on with the ropes not wicking that stuff up! I used this system at the end of my last grow and saw it then to... All the brown tidbits left in the res after the water is gone. What I have been doing is whatever is left in the res when I change it I mix with a little water and pour it evenly over all the plants to help keep them primed while I'm changing the res. I was more worried about the N-P-K and micros. Maybe we can eventually get Corey in here and he would know if this method works, I'm guessing he knows his product pretty well.

Thanks for the welcome!

What Size is your exhaust fan ?

If I'm understanding this right you're room is 45 cubic feet. According to the ventilation thread buy Smokymacpot you'd want an exhaust around 200-250 cfm. Since you don't have an air cooled hood, & you said you will be adding a second light you might want even more, and if you put a filter on then you would also want about 20% more cfm's.

I have a 250CFM running right now with a carbon scrubber. I am thinking I'll pick up another one to hook to my hood if I can get one made, If not I'll just run both fans out.

Passive intakes should work, made at the bottom. With the exhaust fan on the opposite side on the top. Keep the fan pointed at the bulb to blow hot air into exhaust fan, and another near the top of the canopy level and you should be good. Here is the 420mag Ventilation thread

How Much Ventilation Do I Need in My Grow Room?

I have a passive intake that I'm going to hook a small homemade carbon scrubber on as soon as I get around to making it. (help keep out little bugs)

I wouldn't be turning the light off & on like that, bad for bulb and ballast and really bad for the plants. Could cause hermies.

Your humidity is quite low for Veg but it won't do much damage at all. It is almost perfect for flower. Just mist with water a few times a day if possible while they are in Veg.

I went in today and my temp has gone down to 82 and humidity up to 42% without shutting off the bulb (other than for the night cycle). My last spray bottle started spraying out where its not suppose to (all over my hand). I will be picking one up hopefully today to keep spritzing them.

What do you mean when you say you will SOG them if they get unruly before you get quality nutes? Did you mean Scrog? Cause I saw you mentioned putting a screen in earlier.

I did in fact mean scrog, sorry for the confusion.

Thank you for all the info on hempys. You cleared it right up for me!! :thumb::thanks:

No problem, always glad to help.

I have a 250CFM running right now with a carbon scrubber. I am thinking I'll pick up another one to hook to my hood if I can get one made, If not I'll just run both fans out.

I have a passive intake that I'm going to hook a small homemade carbon scrubber on as soon as I get around to making it. (help keep out little bugs)

I went in today and my temp has gone down to 82 and humidity up to 42% without shutting off the bulb (other than for the night cycle). My last spray bottle started spraying out where its not suppose to (all over my hand). I will be picking one up hopefully today to keep spritzing them.

I did in fact mean scrog, sorry for the confusion.

They make a dual bulb hood, called the growzilla. You can get it for $175/free shipping off of amazon. If that is too much you can make your own DIY cooltube but it won't be too much cheaper. Type in "DIY pyrex bake-a-round cool tube" on google, you have to click on the picture links to view them. Better thing about the growzilla dual bulb hood, it has better reflection of course and it comes with a 6" flange.

Thank you for all the help and info Stoned

I wanted to try and stay as organic as possible, although I probably will not have 100% organic, I'd like to stay as close to it as I can. If it comes down to it and they start showing signs of nut def than I will need to start using the rest of the FF trio until I get the BPN's.

I feel you on that one. My last grow I switched to BPN organic halfway through flower, this grow is my first with a full organic approach.

You had me considering this for a moment... That is what I did on my last grow because I didn't have a horizontal mount bulb. The problem I see with it is
1) I could only fit one bulb instead of both and
2) I only have 30" X 30", the bulb takes up about 6" and a minimum of 8" away from the bulb on all sides already uses up 22" of that space leaving me only 4" on either side for plants

I don't have a hood for my light, it is already a bare bulb sitting out. If I can find the means to do so I would like to make my own 2 bulb hood with an exhaust fan hooked up to it.

Might just have to get the dual bulb hood and you will be good to go Lol

You are spot on with the ropes not wicking that stuff up! I used this system at the end of my last grow and saw it then to... All the brown tidbits left in the res after the water is gone. What I have been doing is whatever is left in the res when I change it I mix with a little water and pour it evenly over all the plants to help keep them primed while I'm changing the res. I was more worried about the N-P-K and micros. Maybe we can eventually get Corey in here and he would know if this method works, I'm guessing he knows his product pretty well.

It is still a neat system nonetheless. You never notice any under or over watering? Send him a PM or e-mail I'm sure he would be more then happy to help.

The closest thing to a symptom I have seen is droopy leaves right before lights off. I have been in there constantly (probably a dozen times a day) checking it with my moisture meter.
The lowest it's ever been is 3 and the highest is 6/7. At first they all seemed to fluctuate the same, however now that they are getting bigger I'm noticing them going onto different cycles.
Some have been at a 5 while others are at 3. I have been really surprised at how little water they are requiring (they spend most of their time in the 3-5 range). Over watering was definitely an issue last grow.

With as many times as it goes up and down through the day even just slightly some days and more drastically other days, I don't see how I could water every couple days and keep them as happy as they are keeping themselves. Not to mention much less work and not nearly as much soil compaction as when gravity pulls the water through normally.

I do want to try out a hempy, sounds like little effort and I could fit 12 in my space instead of 5 comfortably or 6 crammed. If I end up getting my two that are getting UBTed to clone I may try the clones in hempys. Have to wait and see though, especially if the one ends up male.

All in all I've become a pretty big fan of this setup, it's hard to see me going back but I also haven't done a start to finish grow with it to know for sure. As we mentioned earlier about the organics possibly not working. However I have not seen anything to be really concerned with yet in plant health and I have been using organics so far... we will soon find out though!

Thank you for the info on the hood to. It does seem that would solve my problems. I'll need to check it out as soon as I have some time. Along with the DIY cool tubes, these sound more up my alley but at what cost? I will look into both for sure though. :thanks:
:Namaste:

Well I suppose I'll start with the bad news....

IMAG12242.jpg
IMAG12222.jpg

Definitely boy parts 👎

This has been the fastest growing plant so far, also the one that I was going clone... not any more though obviously.

IMAG12062.jpg

Stem shot
IMAG12252.jpg

I also have just a couple blemished leaves that I would like to catch early if there could be an issue.

These are the same leaf.
IMAG12311.jpg
IMAG12321.jpg

This is the only leaf like this, I have looked all around it and haven't found any bugs and I know it didn't get to close to any lights. I don't think it's a big deal but if anyone knows, I would like to know please.

This is the other leaf with a problem, the rest of the leaf looks great, but the inner part almost looks rusted.

IMAG12362.jpg

I also made a stupid mistake... When I LSTed them for the first time I didn't leave enough room for expansion. This is the worst one, the others barely have a mark:

IMAG12121.jpg

The single bladed leaves yellowed and died off.. couldn't figure out why until I realized my mistake, I was choking the poor thing.

Well that's all the bad... now onto the good!!!

I was able to TOP/ FIM(hopefully)/ and UBT my other 4 that are left.

This is one I topped, I am planning to wrap the 2 new mains away from each other around the bucket:
IMAG000320.jpg

This one I plan to do the same:
IMAG000419.jpg

Here is my UBT, I may have waited too long for this one but there are still the 4 tops coming in and the 4 lower branches are just about even with the top 4!
IMAG000222.jpg

And finally here is my attempt at FIMing:
IMAG12173.jpg

If anyone sees something I did wrong please tell me so I can learn!!

Group shot:
IMAG12352.jpg

I also had a bit of a shock, My wife and I had to borrow the fan I had blowing into the room last night with intentions of putting it back in the morning before work...
Well that didn't happen. I came home from work 7 hours after the light came on expecting to have some roasted plants.
What I was shocked to see is that my temp was 78 with 53% humidity... The temp has since risen to 82 but not until much later in the day. Now I save some power usage and have a cooler room!!!

Stoned4daze: I still haven't checked out those cool tube things... I think after a vented hood or those I should be in good temps...

That's all the updates I have for now!!
Hopefully some interesting pictures soon though once these take back off again!

Your FIM job did the trick! I like FIM'ing, I think plants that don't like topping still tend to be okay with a little FIM. I could be wrong though.

Nice LST, you've got a nice grow going my friend! Sorry about the male! Happened to me with a neat little plant that grew crazy fast itself.. But I'mma get some pollen and make some seeds with it.

Hi My new friend! :high-five:

Actually you didn't FIM that girl...you topped her, but it's all good! Nice job! Your going to have some nice tops. :cheer:

As I was reading your journal, I really started to worry about your temps, but it sounds like you have that licked now. Nice grow you have going....stoned has really helped you ....good for him! :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom