First Real Attempt at Growing - Bagseed & Mysterious Clone Under CFLs

fieldsofgreen

I am finally able to grow and let my mind enjoy all the hard work I am going to put into these plants. After about 5 years looking at this site I can finally make a grow journal. I think this is an awesome community! what a wealth of information everyone has built from such a wonderful plant.

Grow information-
-Some local organic soil
-Fox Farm nutrients
-Unknown final pot size
-Growing in sterilite cabinet

Bag seed-
Just some bag seed from a couple years ago.
Stage: Veg
Age right now: 6 weeks
Bud estimate: hoping for a half O
Indica or Sativa:??????
Male or Female: Unknown

Gorilla Clone-
Someone showed me this gorilla grow and I took two cuttings and wanted to see if I could get them going.(it was maybe 2 weeks into flowering).
Stage: Forced back into veg
Weeks old at start of journal: around 4 weeks
Bud estimate: maybe a little more then a half
Indica or Sativa:??????
Male or Female: Female

I just bought the "Grow Big" nutrients from Fox Farm last week and started with 1 teaspoon per gallon and I am now at 2 teaspoons. I have loads of pictures but am still trying to figure out how to upload them but I will figure it out soon!

Anyone have some good organic solutions for fungus gnats? I have not had any up until 4 days ago and they seem to be turning into an infestation.

re: First Real Attempt at Growing - Bagseed & Mysterious Clone Under CFLs

Thanks for the helpful how-to on embedding images. :thumb:
IMAG11621.jpg

IMAG11902.jpg

IMAG12063.jpg

IMAG12111.jpg

IMAG13133.jpg

IMAG13473.jpg

IMAG13912.jpg

IMAG14472.jpg
The clone
IMAG14802.jpg

IMAG14812.jpg
She is growing up so fast
IMAG14833.jpg

They are a lot bigger now and I will post the more recent photos later today, along with my grow cabinet.

Fog, looks like a good start.

To answer your question about the gnats I can only tell you what I did. First, the fungus gnats love a wet enviroment so check your relative humidity. Also make sure you let the top of the soil dry out a bit and if you can. use a turkey baster to water your plants. stick the baster in the soil to water so the top of the soil doesn't get wet and stay that way. I had the same problem and putting small pieces of cedar in the grow box helped a lot!

Thanks for the pointers guys, I am going to have to try them all. I don't want it getting worse than it already is. The gorilla clone seems to have a worse infestation, so I threw together another grow box until they are under control. Does anyone ever use that yellow sticky tape? I tried it out and it seems to be trapping the adult gnats. I would like to control the smell during flowering and was wondering if a homemade carbon filter does the job and if so what kind of fan would work best.

The only new things I have done so far is work on my grow box and yesterday I made a clone so I could check the sex. Overall everything seems to be moving along wonderfully for my first grow.

Could someone tell me why the Gorilla clone only has 3 points to ALL her leaves? Her mother had the normal 3,5,7 and 9 points to her leaves.
IMAG14913.jpg

Some more lst
IMAG15541.jpg

Perking up
IMAG15561.jpg

IMAG15751.jpg

After trimming some fan leaves
IMAG1597.jpg

IMAG16011.jpg

Those yellow things are the gnat traps
IMAG16041.jpg

IMAG16131.jpg

Under the canopy
IMAG1614.jpg

IMAG1602.jpg

She seems to be getting her color back
IMAG16151.jpg

Could anyone tell me why all her leaves only have 3 points to it?
IMAG16052.jpg

Here is the clone I took from plant 1

looks like your off to a good start.. I'll be watching..

I started off with 6 good bag seeds. 9 days into flowering i discovered 5 of the 6 were males..Your plants are looking great:goodjob:

Looks amazing:) Wondering why and what you are doing with the rope? Does it improve the stalks and the amount of nodes? I am always looking for new ways to improve my crop :morenutes:

Looks amazing:) Wondering why and what you are doing with the rope? Does it improve the stalks and the amount of nodes? I am always looking for new ways to improve my crop :morenutes:

Thanks, it was being used for some lst earlier in this grow. Not really sure if it is beneficial at this point or not but I am just going to leave it there.

After looking at what a complete mess my grow cabinet was I decided to vacuum and organize things inside. I think it might be a female, but I am going to give it another day just to make sure. The gorilla clone seems to be filling out nicely. Could anyone here explain why all the leaves only have three points to them?

IMAG1664.jpg

IMAG16681.jpg

Just made my first big mistake, could anyone tell me how bad this will be for my plant? I wanted to flush my plant with plain tap water so I used 1 gallon. BUT right after I flushed I realized I forgot to add my ph down (apple cider vinegar). Now every leaf on that plant is drooping pretty badly. Should I flush again when the lights come back on? or wait a couple days to flush with ph'd water. Will flushing two days in a row cause root rot? Thanks and I will be posting some more pictures tomorrow when the ladie (s)? wake up.

Edit: The ph of my tap water is around 7.5.

Just made my first big mistake, could anyone tell me how bad this will be for my plant? I wanted to flush my plant with plain tap water so I used 1 gallon. BUT right after I flushed I realized I forgot to add my ph down (apple cider vinegar). Now every leaf on that plant is drooping pretty badly. Should I flush again when the lights come back on? or wait a couple days to flush with ph'd water. Will flushing two days in a row cause root rot? Thanks and I will be posting some more pictures tomorrow when the ladie (s)? wake up.

Edit: The ph of my tap water is around 7.5.

Hey FOG, first of up to this point every one is looking good!

As for the current state. the leaves could be droopy fro two reasons, the high PH water and over saturation. too much water can cause your plant to become over saturated, but after drying out a bit they will perk right back up. How ever if its a PH issue you're going to run into several issues. Namely nute lock out, where the plant can not absorb nutes she needs and you still start to see yellowing, spotting and discoloration. In any case give her the night to rest and see how she looks tomorrow.

Some advice on flushing. You shouldn't flush with tap water even with ph adjustment. when flushing soil its best to use distilled de-ionized water. the reason for using this over tap water is the point of a flush is to wash away excess salts and built up nutes. when you use tap water You're using water that has an unknown number of substances in it, this reduces the amount that water can pick up and flush away. with deionized distilled water you should have an ecc (or amount of dissolved substances) of 0. plus being deionized the salts which are mostly positively charged will be bonded to the flushing water at a higher rate than none deionized water. In any case give her the night and some time to dry out and give it another go.

Hey also could we get a shot of your whole set up? kind of curious what kind of light rig your using and how many bulbs. but over all looks good man! dont worry your girl will pull through!

Wow thanks for all the info, I shall try the flush again tomorrow afternoon. I will probably pick up a couple gallons of distilled water. Those jugs are perfect for storing your nutrient water for those that wanted to know.

As for the lights, it is pretty simple and can be made cheaply and quickly. The ladies are sleeping right now so I will post some tomorrow with a quick tutorial and pictures. Basically though I have wired three of these in parallel (you could safely hook up 100-150 actual wattage of cfls). Then there is a computer fan in the middle with some pencils for structure. This will make a lot more sense when I put pictures up :).

Hey guys sorry about the long absence, just been busy as hell lately and the fun pictures are just about to start anyway so I will update regularly. The bagseed I had is definitely female, kinda obvious now though haha. That gorilla clone is doing beautifully but it has one of the weirdest spacings between the sets of leaves and the branches. I am guessing it is from cutting the clone at a weird spot but not completely sure yet....could anyone tell me what is up here or does it just happen sometimes. Oh and the clones mother looked completely normal and healthy so it's not the genetics. The new clone from the bag seed is doing nicely and I will probably turn that into a mother if this harvest comes out really good.

I am still using grow big for the nutrients but I will be starting tiger bloom and big bloom by the next watering. You know that ghetto light fixture that is hangin in my cab? well the whole thing fell on my poor girl but she bounced back really nicely and escaped with some minor light burns on her fan leaves.

IMAG16641.jpg

IMAG16661.jpg

IMAG17351.jpg

IMAG17371.jpg

I super cropped a few branches
IMAG1740.jpg

This branch is gonna make some nice nugs
IMAG17361.jpg

bud shot
IMAG1739.jpg

Gorilla clone
IMAG17101.jpg