Tony Sussan's Sealed Sea Of Green!

Tony Sussan

Hello everyone and welcome to my first grow journal!

This is my first grow after a small break! My wife and I have recently moved into a new home and i have set up my new grow room from scratch in the only area i could. THE ATTIC!
This has been a fairly big and expensive job as i have had to make access and have the room built and then set up how i wanted.

Due to height restrictions it was decided that a sea of green or scrog would suit the space the best. I intend to try sea of green first and then also try scrog if i end up feeling like it :laughtwo:

I have purchased new led lights for the space and will add more as i free up funds to do so. The brand will not be mentioned as i believe the company had issues while sponsoring 420 magazine but if anyone interested to know please pm me and i will discuss this furthur.

I would also like to point out that my room is a completely sealed room and operates on CEA (closed environment agriculture) principles. As my room is situated in an attic this has enabled me to have complete control over my environment and also the smell :thumb:

So without furthur ado some pics of my space!
Grow_room_112.JPG

This is the view looking from next to my veg cabinet towards the flower area. You can just see the veg room door in the right of the pic.
Grow_room_210.JPG

My co2 gear and a bank of power points all on its own circuit so plenty of juice available :thumb:
Grow_room_36.JPG

Looking back from the reverse cycle towards my veg cupboard.
Grow_room_42.JPG

The air movement in my room.
Air is drawn into the carbon filter and scrubbed. The clean air is sent into veg area and into the main room. The fan and ducting extract air from the veg cupboard and send it back towards the reverse cycle which has the fan on high to force air along the room once more. I have found this creates great air circulation and keeps temps exactly where i want em!
My reverce cycle has a full programable thermostat so i can tell it to reduce temps in the evening once the lights go off to simulate those night time drop in temps!
LED lights need to have an environment that runs warmer than standard HPS so my day time temps are 29oc (85f) and night temps are 21oc. I also use a dehumidifier to keep RH spot on aswell :thumb:

I have 2 LED light as seen in the pics but i also veg using LED aswell. Pics to come of the veg room!
I am curretly finishing off my drip trays which will be installed under the flowering lights soon but for now the 2 reject mothers are just sat in there pots in saucers. (Will talk about that next installment)

Thanks for reading guys! Come join me on my SEALED SEA OF GREEN!

Sweet, that room has soooooo much potential... I wish I had that space :(

Just thought i should mention that then whole room is insulated with foil board which is styrofoam wrapped in a foil. It is sold for insulation and is perfect for lining grow rooms. It is kind of done in 2 layers so that there is an air gap between to insulate even better. After i had placed a piece inbetween the wooden battens it was completely sealed all around it with caulking which makes the air gap also air tight, works on same principal as a thermos or a cooler you keep your ice in during summer. :slide:
Lot of work but so worth it! Room is completely light tight and when co2 running the injection lasts for ages making bottle use VERY economical.

Thanks Green Knight!
Plenty of work has gone into making it what it is and plenty more to do but its up and running for now and thats what matters :thanks:

I can tell mate - it's a lovely bit of DIY, very tidy.
Are you planning to fill the whole room with the grow? It might be the perspective (photos sometimes seem to make stuff look bigger) but is it about 3m x 6m? Not sure what your long term set up plans are but I'm looking at it enviously thinking that's a lot of potential for a very large perpetual hydro grow!!

Hey Geen Knight,
Room is approx 2m wide and 6m long and i will be adding perhaps another 2 lights for flower to increase my footprint from 4x3 atm to perhaps 6 or 8x3. This journal will detail my efforts to run a perpetual SOG. I have chosen to detail the process from my choice of strain through to harvest.Things may change and i am sure i will have sucess and failures but thats life. Hope you enjoy the ride. :thumb:

Okay dokay guys during the setup of the room i had plenty of time to work out in my head exactly how to run this show. Obviuosly as i have stated i will be running a SOG to maximise my grow space as i only have a maximum of 2m height in the centre of the room (highest point). Also as i have yet to get water to the room (still working on that) i have decided to run with a hand watered 2l hempy SOG (sorry if its done to death but i believe it will work for me). As i believe that LED lighting is the future of growing i also decided to invest heavily in lights to go with the new space. Cooler running lights and lower running costs are the big advantages for me in this grow. With the price of power here rising as our country was stupid enough to introduce a carbon tax i have to take any saving i can :)

Strain choice was fairly easy for me. I love serious seeds and there strains so i found a strain suitable for SOG and ran with that White Russian!

So after making that decision i purchased seeds from a sponsor here at :420: who would actually deliver to AUS and placed my order. Seeds got here so good to go :thumb: So on August 9th i placed seeds in to germinate using paper towel method. All 11 seeds germinated and were planted into hempy cups. I did not survive the initial transplant and 2 more were sickly and slow to develop so were culled.

I started vegging these babies with the intention of finding a nice mom for my perpetual grow. I dont really wanna bore you all with veg pics so i will keep em to a minimum. I am using canna nutes and plants were fed every watering with a 1.3 ec solution ph 6. I also ran with there rhizotnic and cannazyme to hopefully push these along. 1500 ppm co2 and a lot of pruning and just sit back and wait for the plants to show sex.

23rd_September_1.JPG

September 23rd

27th_September_2.JPG

September 27th

30th_September_1.JPG

September 30th

2nd_October_3.JPG

2nd October 2 of the plants showed male pre flowers and were shown the door!

8th_October_2.JPG

8th October 2 more males shoe there ugly balls so were cut down. As luck would have it the other 4 all showed female pre flowers and are looking great.

So i have vegged out 4 female plants and they were all looking awesome. Doing some strain reviews i have come to realise that there a few different phenos. Some smell heavily some not, indica dominant, sative dominant etc etc. Long story short i have 2 indica and 2 sative dominant plants. Out of my indiaca dom plants one just STINKS so badass even in veg the other not so much. As luck would have it the same was happening with the sative plants. So on 19th of October i took a shit tin of clones and put em in my bubble cloner with the hopes of flowering them out to see which mommas are keepers.

29th_October_4.JPG

I also have 6 clones in small hempy cups which were already rooted. I took these from the third female to show pre flowers when giving her a trim, just to see what would happen and got 6 out of 7 to throw out roots striaght into a hempy cup :thumb:

Anyway after doing some more reading on the 29th October i decided to put the 2 non smelling mommas into the flower chamber. Reason being i got the 2 strongest plants left in veg room both fkin stink badly and a fine example of the sativa and indica pheno.

Flowering_mommas.JPG

Here are the 2 weakest mother plants that are now in flower. They have hardly any smell about them and definatly slower growing than the others. I have clones in the cloner of each which i will save 1 and flower the rest. If by some fluke they are awesome i have the genetic preserved and nothing lost!

Man that room looks nice! I will try to pop in

Hey Geen Knight,
Room is approx 2m wide and 6m long and i will be adding perhaps another 2 lights for flower to increase my footprint from 4x3 atm to perhaps 6 or 8x3. This journal will detail my efforts to run a perpetual SOG. I have chosen to detail the process from my choice of strain through to harvest.Things may change and i am sure i will have sucess and failures but thats life. Hope you enjoy the ride. :thumb:

I can't wait!

Thinking about the water mate; do you have a bathroom below the attic? If so you can get some very good self-tapping isolation valves; you just bolt the housing on to an existing water pipe, and then screw a fitting with an isolating tap into this which cuts into the pipe as you screw it in (they often come in kits for installing an outside tap). You've then got a live tap you can connect to and it saves turning the water off, draining, and having to cut pipes etc.

With your DIY skills mate it would be a couple of hours job to run some 12mm copper or plastic pipe from this neatly round the bathroom and up through a small hole in the ceiling into the attic, and then you just stick a tap on the end of this. No one would notice or pay any attention to a pipe in a bathroom running up through the ceiling.

Getting the water down you could just get a long hosepipe and run it down the stairs or whatever, into the bath and just pump the water out when you need to do a res change.

Back
Top Bottom