Pt.2 - Korloin Goes Hydro!

Korloin

HAPPY NEW YEAR 420 PEEPS!!

The first grow finished um...

Well, let's say it could've gone better. :)
But I was able to get @ 40+ seeds out of it for future grows!
So there's that. ;)

Now its time to take all that I gleaned from the last grow and
TOSS IT OUT THE WINDOW BECAUSE THE K'STERS GOING HYDRO!!
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Here's a lil' background before I get to the current deets:

Nov 16 2012

Built a lil' mini 1gallon tote dwc for the clone and seedlings.
IMG_26659.JPG

The Drizella clone
IMG_26645.JPG
has 4 real nice white long roots!
IMG_26666.JPG

I forget which day I put her in the 1 pint hempy.
DSCF01275.JPG
Maybe a week or so. Pretty fast considering the mom was @ 22 days into flower.

The Black Russian
IMG_26634.JPG
sprouted a couple days ago and has her first true leaves now. :) She was sprouted in a peat pot which was placed in 3" netpot full of perlite and then into a pint tub. Not hempy. Just changed out the water every couple days. Only filled the pint tub up 1/8th volume, with water.

Soaked the Sweet S.A.D Auto in a 6c dilution (@200ml) of silicea for about an hour. The put her into a Grodon cube ph'd to 5.5. Put the cube into a 3" net pot w/ clay balls.

Took all three and dropped them into the mini bubbler with --- elite 3 part nutrients at 2.5ml for each formula.

RH has been real low lately. 20 - 30% with a few moments if between 40-50% here and there.

Got a fogger coming from eBay. Gonna drop it in a bucket of water and put it in the mini box w/ the little ones.

<aftermath>

SAD auto died

KC auto popped on 11/22.

KC also died

Germed another KC Auto just before Christmas

And that's how things began.

Fast Forward to NOW!

What strain is it?

2 DRIZELLA clones [(Dynasty Seeds) c99/White widow X c99/romulan f3]
1 Black Russian feminized [(Delicious Seeds) White Russian x Black Domina]
1 KC45 [(KC Brains) Russian Ruderalis x Brazilian Sativa]
1 Hybrid from first grow [either full Drizella or Drizella x Sannie's Free Kush (starkush X k.o kush). Stray pollen so not sure until she(?)'s done]

Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid?

All of the above

Is it in Veg or Flower stage?

Veg

If in Veg... For how long?

Drizella 1 and Black Russian 5/6 weeks
Drizella 2 and KC 45 @ 2 weeks

Indoor or outdoor?

Indoor

Soil or Hydro?

Hydro - DWC and Hempy

Size of light?

Box - 400w MH
Little Spot - 2-23w CFL and 1-50w LED

Is it aircooled?

yes and no

Temp of Room/cab?

Box - @79-83F lights on, @60-65F lights off
Little Spot - Don't really know for sure yet. Just put it together this afternoon.

RH of Room/cab?
Big Box - between 30 and 50 mostly
Little Spot/ Room - 16

PH?

Drizella likes it @ 6
Black Russian likes it @ 5.6-5.8 more
KC45 and HomeSeed are getting a 5.8 bath in the hempy

Any Pests ?

None yet (fingers crossed)

How often are you watering?

Changing buckets out weekly
Hempy every other day

Type and strength of ferts used?
3-Part Base High Yield Feeding System

Buckets getting 5ml/gal elite trio w/ 2ml/gal VitaBlue and 5ml/gal Seaweed
Hempy gets 2.5ml/gal Elite trio

And some pics!!

Before today (Drizella's in back, Black Russian front right. KC45 in lil' hempy @ size of a 3liter bottle)
IMG_27233.JPG

Today (Drizella 1 under MonoScrogScreen, Black Russian on the right, Drizella 2 up front
IMG_27564.JPG

NEW DIY CARBON FILTER!! (Much less bulky)
IMG_27494.JPG

Where I'm gonna veg my girlies from now on! (Double Hempy Kitty Litter Bucket w/ KC45 (still in other bottle) and the HomeSprout and some Red Bell Peppers (DWC Bucket) and Greek Oregano (pot) )
IMG_27441.JPG

Drizella 1
IMG_27502.JPG

Drizella 1 roots
IMG_27632.JPG

Black Russian
IMG_27604.JPG

Bk.R. roots (Dumbass me had the airpump plugged into the light/fan timer overnight. So she went sans bubbles for @ 7hrs before I discovered it:icon_roll)
IMG_27643.JPG

Drizella 2 (slow growin' so far. Just starting to get roots past the hydroton)
IMG_27474.JPG

KC45
IMG_27414.JPG

HomeSprout
IMG_27424.JPG

It's already been an adventure to get to here! :)

Hoping from here out all my major boneheaded mistakes are behind me.

planning to veg the girls in the box another week at least. No LST this time. And will take it easier on the defoliation in flower this round. Only given the one haircut so far. :)

Good Night Toledo! Wherever you are!

:peace:

Korloin

Welcome aboard GiGa!! Happy New Year!

Got the KC45 under the CFL's @ 24/0 and the LED running 18/6 since yesterday. And she's brought up a new leaf cluster since! Not sure if its the light or not. But I've been waiting for some quickness to kick in. I'm kinda hoping its a male so I can seed the others with it. :)

Grabbed a bottle of Hygrozyme from the Hydro store just now. Hopefully I can correct the root issue w/ the Blk. Russian. Gonna DIY a CO2 generator tonight too. These girls should be much taller at 6weeks methinks. Granted, it took me a while to dial in the mini dwc re: nutes and water temps (newb hydro after all :)) and I'm sure that stunted quite a bit of growth. But I got that all figured out and stabilized @ 2weeks ago.
I'm thinking my issues are more humidity and CO2 absorption. Anything I'm not considering here?

I am here to watch this grow. :)

HEY TG!!

Pull up a seat! :)

Glad to have you around. Feel free to chime in w/ ANY thoughts pro or con.

K

that hygrozyme is to protect the roots from rot and things right? (too stoned to google right now, lol)

if so, once you get that sorted you may want to play around just a little bit with rez temps. loads of people say keep it cool, some say warm produces faster (just harder to prevent rot and stuff). you just might wanna run some growth tests for a week at your current temp a week 2 degrees lower and a week 2 degrees high or something to see if you can find your strains sweet spot.
this is pretty much heresay at this point.

thanks GiGa!
The temps were part of my issue early on for sure. I've found they seem to do best when it's under 70F. With the 5gal buckets its a little easier to keep them near that, but they had gone up to @ 73F when I did the nute change to ad the hygrozyme. I put an icepack in each bucket and kinda corralled them away from the roots with the air hose. Dropped the floor @ 4-5" so the intake fan blows on the bottom of the buckets instead of underneath. For now. this should help. I'm thinking about putting some type of flat tub underneath and filling it daily w/ water and ice. The way the floor is set right now, the intake fan blows on top and just underneath as it sits on cinderblocks.

The hygrozyme, I believe, is supposed to both protect the roots from root rot and help kill the fungus if it's present without damaging the roots. I was able to do it before w/ hydrogenperoxide, but it took @ a week total and they didn't recover fully (ie: no more brown roots) until I put them into separate buckets. I had also lost a bit of root mass when correcting before as well, so I wanted to both speed the process and also prevent as much root loss as I could. Comparatively, the hygrozyme seemed the way to go. But the shits PRICEY!. (for me at least) $23 for a quart! I've got a good feeling though after reading others experience with it.

thanks GiGa!
The temps were part of my issue early on for sure. I've found they seem to do best when it's under 70F. With the 5gal buckets its a little easier to keep them near that, but they had gone up to @ 73F when I did the nute change to ad the hygrozyme. I put an icepack in each bucket and kinda corralled them away from the roots with the air hose. Dropped the floor @ 4-5" so the intake fan blows on the bottom of the buckets instead of underneath. For now. this should help. I'm thinking about putting some type of flat tub underneath and filling it daily w/ water and ice. The way the floor is set right now, the intake fan blows on top and just underneath as it sits on cinderblocks.

The hygrozyme, I believe, is supposed to both protect the roots from root rot and help kill the fungus if it's present without damaging the roots. I was able to do it before w/ hydrogenperoxide, but it took @ a week total and they didn't recover fully (ie: no more brown roots) until I put them into separate buckets. I had also lost a bit of root mass when correcting before as well, so I wanted to both speed the process and also prevent as much root loss as I could. Comparatively, the hygrozyme seemed the way to go. But the shits PRICEY!. (for me at least) $23 for a quart! I've got a good feeling though after reading others experience with it.

have you seen the DIY rootzone recipe that corey passed around? might be worth looking into for future grows, bit of an outlay to get it made up, but works out a fraction of the cost per litre of other stuff. check out the actual rootzone product to see if you like the sound of it, then use coreys recipe ;)

and remember that your high temp period was also when your roots were ill so it may not have been as bad for them as it seemed, they were already just getting ill from biology in the water.

I haven't! Man that could be pretty awesome to be able to DIY Hygrozyme! I haven't wanted to trouble Corey wiith any of my BPN questions yet, as I'm still kinda figuring out what I'm doing and how all the various measurements relate too each other. This (like the last grow) is kinda my experimental "learn to dial it" grow and for me it sticks better when I figure it out myself. The Blk. Russian was a freebie and the cloning was a piece of cake after following your technique as a guide. So If I screw the whole damn thing up it's just gonna cost electric and nutes. Small price in the long run really.

One question though, I have some foam being churned up from the airstone in the clone's bucket, but not the others. And only since this last nute change when I added the Hygrozyme. Roots seem ok. But there is a bit of an ammonia smell inside. I'm curious if this may just be a byproduct of the enzymatic action or if I should change out again?

I haven't! Man that could be pretty awesome to be able to DIY Hygrozyme! I haven't wanted to trouble Corey wiith any of my BPN questions yet, as I'm still kinda figuring out what I'm doing and how all the various measurements relate too each other. This (like the last grow) is kinda my experimental "learn to dial it" grow and for me it sticks better when I figure it out myself. The Blk. Russian was a freebie and the cloning was a piece of cake after following your technique as a guide. So If I screw the whole damn thing up it's just gonna cost electric and nutes. Small price in the long run really.

One question though, I have some foam being churned up from the airstone in the clone's bucket, but not the others. And only since this last nute change when I added the Hygrozyme. Roots seem ok. But there is a bit of an ammonia smell inside. I'm curious if this may just be a byproduct of the enzymatic action or if I should change out again?

I honestly couldnt tell you about the foam, my water grows have either been unbubbled dwc or pure water so ive not even come close to this stuff. i would be concerned tho and i would definatly google ' "foam" "hygrozyme" ' and see what pops up ;)

im certain that the recipe is on jandres journal or one of those heavy hitters in his circle, thats definatly first place to look =)
and the same people will probably have something to say about the foam =)

Thanks again GiGa! I'll poke around Jandre's journal and see if I can dig anything up.

I do have the BPN mychorizzal product too. And have been inocculating since they were in the mini-bubbler.

From what I could find on the web Re: the foam, (and this search reinforced why I'm a 420member and not on another forum. What a bunch of pretentious non-helpful jack-ass know-it-all dickheads! It's like 4/5 posters need to whip out their member and piss on the world every other page! <end rant>) and it seems it's a common occurrence using hygrozyme at the recommended dosage in conjunction with the aeration. And it could possibly be from the combo of air/hygro/seaweed too. No one seems too concerned about the foam. I'm gonna let it ride for now and use about 1/2 strength next change. The roots aren't slimy or anything (last I checked :)) Interesting that it only hit the one bucket. But that is also the one w/ the larger root mass. Could be just more anaerobics present in the larger mass. IDK. I'll keep you posted.

If there is anything my journals contribute to the greater growing good. It could very well be lessons in how to really screw things up! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I'm good at that! Lol! But that's how we learn and... erm...grow. :)

:peace:

K

Yeah, it's kind of amazing if you stop to think, just how unlike all the other forums 420 is in that regard. I can't even come up with an example of a poster here I've come across that behaves anywhere near what I see on those other sites. Once I think I may have ruffled donpauls feathers unintentionally. But his was just a somewhat terse one sentence response and that was the end. No 12 page pissing match. Civil and to the point. :green_heart::420:

It's a great place to be a part of. :)

Back on topic. ;)

Just checked on the gals. The Black Russian also had developed some foam apparently. But everyones roots are unslimed and rather tough(not in a bad way) so I think all will be good. A little tan where they dip into the mix, but I believe its just a bit of staining.:rocker:

Put together a DIY CO2 unit based on Jandre's blog post. But I think I'm still gonna grab one of those mychorrizal bag generators. Was chatting w/my hydro guy wednesday about them (that's what i originally intended on grabbing until my faux pas) and he was giving them high praise compared to the tanks in my context (ie: small personal grow space) and for $33 you get 6mos of action vs 3 mos and triple the cost w/ the ppms being fairly close. The bags, obviously, would vary more. So if your a hard core numbers guy, it may not be your thing.

Also dropped my fogger into a 2gal bucket in the "veg" area to try to bump the humidity up. Went from 16 to 28.:straightface: Gotta get something going for my humidity. It SOOOOOO friggin' dry!! But hey, it is January in the midwest. What do I expect! :)

I'll post some pics in a few days after the girls grow their hair out a bit more. I nipped a few new leaves for a quick buzz the other night, so it'll be an extra couple days before they're back in full foliage.:bigblush: Sometimes that's what you do though to get by.

Peace! Gotta go give Amelia some props on her amazing harvest before I forget! Can't say I'm not a lil' jealous. LOL! But man she pulled a nice grow!

K

lol yeah its real easy to bump heads in this place, we got some strong minded people, but its really just like moving glaciers colliding, one chunky crash, then they just glide off in ther respective directions, lol.

you get bonifide haters on those other sites that can hold a grudge forum wide and for an age, lol.

i hate that we even have the word troll...cant people just do something with their lives, we only get one(i think), tic toc tic toc, lol

lol yeah its real easy to bump heads in this place, we got some strong minded people, but its really just like moving glaciers colliding, one chunky crash, then they just glide off in ther respective directions, lol.

Exactly!, No one here seems soooo emotionally invested or insecure enough that they can't take criticism or consider another viewpoint. And most have the ability to make a non threatening presentation of their opinion, thereby negating the need for a flame war. Like they're adults or something. :) (says the guy in his early forties who posits he generally remains arrested at the maturity level of a post-pubescent teen)

...cant people just do something with their lives, we only get one(i think), tic toc tic toc, lol

:) My hippy-esque psudeo-Taoist/ Buddhist/ Vedic outlook is ever at battle with my western oriented punk rock atheistic material conditioning and hasn't resolved this question either. :Namaste::headbanger::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::scratchinghead:

ahem..
Is it ok if I sit back here?

Please! Join the party! Plenty of seats in the house!

Thanks for the Porta Scrog idea btw! Inspired!:)

Ok, I should really just go to bed now. :)

Think i'm gonna give up on Drizella2. No growth whatsoever even though she rooted like 2 weeks or more ago. I'm thinking I'll transplant the HomeSprout into the bucket now that it's starting to get going (2nd set are developed now and it's looking indica dom from the leaf structure!) and veg everyone another week. The CO2 contraption and the hygrozyme treatment seems to be helping Driz1 and the Blk. Rusky a bit. So I'll veg 'em a little bit more. Maybe I can eek a couple inches out of them before I flip.

Tell you what. I'm a really big fan of the flowering clone concept after seeing the branching on the driz1! (see Racefans post)
But I want to pop a new strain for next time.

I'm thinking I'll do either the Ms. Universe, Chemdog or the THC Bomb. I'll germ something this weekend and have 'em veg while these are flowering. Want to get a routine going kinda like TG's got set up now. The flowering clone thing is perfect for a perpetual! Cut at 21 days, roots @ 7 days, veg for the rest of the flower period and then pop them in the flowerbox post harvest! That's the plan anyway. If anyone's followed my last grow, you know that plan will most likely change somewhat as I seem to have to try and F up a good thing once I get it going. LOL! :) Maybe I'll actually be able to follow through this time, but I have a bunch of seeds in stock and they're all itchin' in my head to be grown. Stupid ADHD!:rofl:

Back
Top Bottom