Apelles' Coco Coir - CFL - Wardrobe Grow - 2013 - First Timer

Apelles

Hello 420,
Starting my first grow ever. Here's what I have come up with...
Grow Chamber: 19 x 22 x 66 inch via converted pantry (2.88 square foot area and a volume of 17 cubic feet)
Plant: UK Cheese x Blue Cindy from seed
# of Plants: 1 -2 per grow
Lights: CFL (as many as heat level allows) currently (4) 23 watt 1600 lumen each
Vase size: 10"/ 2 gallon each
Medium: Coco Coir with some grow rocks at the bottom
Nutrition: Going with General Hydroponics Flora series 3 part
Stage of growth at this time: July 31st: One seedling/One still an under ground sprout

ry_400.jpg

Still working out my little closet and will have to resolve issues "on the go". Will have to get better ventilation to lower temperatures so that a higher light wattage can be used but currently holding between 75 and 85*F with 92 watts/6,400 lumens. Seeing as my plants are all of one square inch right now perhaps they really do not need more (until later) as long as I have the lights at about 4 inches away from the leaves. I have a good feeling about the coir and I feel secure about the CFL's being on while I am away so this is at my comfort level. This is my first try at growing any sort of plant so wish me luck.

July 31,
One problem I came up with is that my intake was too small. I have a 5 inch resale shop air purifier being used as a temporary exhaust fan and I thought 9 - 1 inch wide holes drilled into the floor would do for an intake vent. Recently found that it was better to cut out a single 12 x 2 inch rectangle instead for an area of 24 square inches. I did so today and perhaps this will allow for the heat of a larger # of lights. My home made fixture can hold 8 bulbs and I could just as easily go with 10 or 12 bulbs. Heat is the issue at this time, probably because it is in such a small space. In the coming weeks I will receive the Ventech 190 CFM fan with a Carbon scrubber which will probably help.

August 1: second plant peeked up from the coir. Looks like the process of soaking for 24 hours in purified water then a few days in the paper towel method at 75-80*F works fine.
Newborn.jpg

So now both plants are in vegetation mode. Going with 16 on 8 off so I can schedule to tend to the garden during the day and have lights on during the night...when it is cooler. Next entry will likely be the light baffle. See ya then!

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial:
Photo Gallery Guide: How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom