Any2's Vertical 2k Double Donut w/ High Brix - First Indoor Grow

Any2cards

Ok......I'm all in weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! lol. Here we go!

First off let me just say this site is awesome! I am a complete novice and have grown a few outdoor grows and since then have just read and absorbed as much as I could. The information gained just from delving into a few journals is amazing and I just so happen to gravitate towards alot of threads/journals of Doc Bud's(and many others) as I took it upon myself to provide medicine to a very close friend who has since passed away. At the time I knew absolutely nothing and came across the osmecote+ thread. Simplistic, effective and very affordable with great results for a complete noob.

I quickly learned that growing was intoxicating and very therapeutic. The sights amd smells of it all and even more rewarding when you knew it was saving your buddy $ and giving much needed relief. RIP my friend!

Moving on.......so after much thought and deliberation I am diving into the indoor realm with the hopes of expanding on what I learned in my first few grows. For now I will not try and re create the wheel but ride on the coat tails from the people who really know what they are doing and learn as much as I can during the process. ALL critiques and advice are more than welcome so please jump in without any reservation!

So here is where I am at now.

- I am just about finished with the build out of my room and plan on a Oct to June regimen as to not compete with Nor Cal heat in the summers. I basically partitioned my 15 1/2 x 15 1/2 ft man cave/music studio/online poker room in half giving me roughly a 7 1/2 x 15 1/2 ft grow space.

- It will be air exchange
- Hi brix soil in (12) 7 gal smarts
- (2) 1k Lumatek Ballasts run at 240v
- Eye Hortilux HPS bulbs
- Phresh 8x24 filter
- 8" Hurricane inline(exhaust)
- 6" Max Fan inline(intake)
- Cap MLC-4x lighting controller
- Frigidare Dehumidifier
- (2) 16" EcoPlus wall mount fans
- (2) Honeywell floor fans
- 8000 btu wall mount AC
- Digital hygrometer/thermometer

Various strains from clone for now. On deck is some wild tai, BD, SD and a couple of Blueberrys. All hand watered for now.

Grow will be a vertical style donut 2 of them side by side 6 plants each using milk crates, pvc and trellis netting for support for each plant. I thought of other configurations but for the ease of access I decided on a side by side rather than a double stacked double donut for now. Everything is a complete experiment and will adjust and make changes as I go along. Again all comments and suggestions are welcome!

As soon as I test the environment and make sure everything is working properly I will get them in the flower room. In the meanwhile they are under 6 bulb T5s 18/6.

Ok that is it for now. Here are a few random pics of the build out that I could find.

Peace,

Any2cards

07626.JPG
07825.JPG
07925.JPG
008966.JPG
011691.JPG
009866.JPG
012611.JPG
010804.JPG
015474.JPG
0011494.JPG
0041351.JPG
0071053.JPG

Thanks Doc! Gonna get some "green" lights where the recessed lights are now so I can work during dark times. Baby steps. I want to grow "snob" weed lol!

Snob Weed for Dummies!

Peace

Very nice A2C. I'd like to follow along as well!

Great work getting the room together!

Welcome everyone so far! Yes it will be interesting and I am hoping to learn a lot as well as I experiment through the process. As always suggestions and critiques are always welcomed and I am sure I will be asking for advice and suggestions as well. If all goes well it should be a testament to how easy Doc's kit can be.

I figured the best way to learn is to go out on a limb and journal the first indoor grow. Why vertical? It just seemed to make sense the more and more I researched it. Whether it works for me remains to be seen and Doc's kit was a no brainer to an outdoor soil guy.

Currently making sure environment is good and at the same time clones are getting the treatment before entering the flower room.

So here is a question......what precautions or safeguards do you practice bringing in clones?

Welcome everyone so far! Yes it will be interesting and I am hoping to learn a lot as well as I experiment through the process. As always suggestions and critiques are always welcomed and I am sure I will be asking for advice and suggestions as well. If all goes well it should be a testament to how easy Doc's kit can be.

I figured the best way to learn is to go out on a limb and journal the first indoor grow. Why vertical? It just seemed to make sense the more and more I researched it. Whether it works for me remains to be seen and Doc's kit was a no brainer to an outdoor soil guy.

Currently making sure environment is good and at the same time clones are getting the treatment before entering the flower room.

So here is a question......what precautions or safeguards do you practice bringing in clones?

Did these clones originate outside of your garden? If so:

1. mix up some Bug and Pest from the kit. Shake it up really good and spray the crap out of those clones, especially the underside of the leaves.
2. repeat the above every 3 days 3 times.

That's all I recommend. Once you have them in the good soil, they'll take care of themselves. If your cooking is done right and directions are followed, you'll not have any trouble with mites in your growroom. I've got mites....but they can't seem to hurt the plants. You'll see what I mean in a few weeks.

But if clones start off infected, they might be weakened enough to where some damage actually does happen from the mites. The spray will also ward off PM, as it coats the leaves with a neem derivative, horticultural oils as well as a highly acid fishy fert.

If you KNOW your clones are infested with mites and/or came from a PM mom....then I'd suggest more stringent measures:

1. get some floramite, forbid or shuttle....all 3 are systemic miticides. Forbid and Shuttle are translaminar...very easy to use. Get the plants wet with this stuff and the mites are dead for 21 days.

2. I like to nip of the tips of ALL leaves at this point, because you're going to make sure those leaves are pruned off in about 2 weeks....but this is optional.

In the event of a PM infected clone (taken from a PM mom) get some Eagle 60 and give 'em a dip or a spray. It's a systemic fungicide that will keep PM at bay for 60 days.

Now you're starting with clean clones and shouldn't have any trouble from here on out!

Nice Doc, mine is something very similar. Half are mine and the 6 wild thai came from a guy who has a nice selection and his product looks very clean so I have stayed in touch with him and a few others that seem to know what they are doing. You would be completely surprised(or maybe not) of the crap that is being peddled out there on internet sites and the dispensaries. Eventually get some seeds but clone dependant for now.

I was actually lollipopping and cleaning up some of the outdoor and tried to clone a few as an experiment and it worked amd I saw some damage and came across some mites and maybe saw some thrip damage too so they are gonna get the treatment.

Floramite dipped or sprayed every 2 days/3 times total or Azamax same schedule. Hope PM never comes my way!

Any2

Nice Doc, mine is something very similar. Half are mine and the 6 wild thai came from a guy who has a nice selection and his product looks very clean so I have stayed in touch with him and a few others that seem to know what they are doing. You would be completely surprised(or maybe not) of the crap that is being peddled out there on internet sites and the dispensaries. Eventually get some seeds but clone dependant for now.

I was actually lollipopping and cleaning up some of the outdoor and tried to clone a few as an experiment and it worked amd I saw some damage and came across some mites and maybe saw some thrip damage too so they are gonna get the treatment.

Floramite dipped or sprayed every 2 days/3 times total or Azamax same schedule. Hope PM never comes my way!

Any2

I do not recommend the azamax on clones. The stuff you got in the kit will feed the plant, not just stress it. Floramite is different altogether, and you'd only want to dip that once.

Bug and Pest from the kit....spray 3 times, 3 days apart.

I do not recommend the azamax on clones. The stuff you got in the kit will feed the plant, not just stress it. Floramite is different altogether, and you'd only want to dip that once.

Bug and Pest from the kit....spray 3 times, 3 days apart.
Ok Doc sounds good. Azamax stresses clones? Could very well be the reason they were clawed and had twisted new growth. We thought they could have been energy challenged. Recently game them a dose and a few other times as well. Ok new regimen in place.

Doing temp/humidity checks now and not liking what I am seeing. Did my reading on ventilation/exchange and views vary but I see a complete exchange every 5 minutes come up often. Jesus those lights get hot! I have approx 840 cu ft and an 8" with a filter for exhaust at 750 cfms a 2 minute on time should get me there for an exchange. Ok back to work.

Ok Doc sounds good. Azamax stresses clones? Could very well be the reason they were clawed and had twisted new growth. We thought they could have been energy challenged. Recently game them a dose and a few other times as well. Ok new regimen in place.

Doing temp/humidity checks now and not liking what I am seeing. Did my reading on ventilation/exchange and views vary but I see a complete exchange every 5 minutes come up often. Jesus those lights get hot! I have approx 840 cu ft and an 8" with a filter for exhaust at 750 cfms a 2 minute on time should get me there for an exchange. Ok back to work.

You'll be good with the AC tied into your controller.

You'll be good with the AC tied into your controller.
Yea I was hoping on not having to use the AC and plan around the summer heat growing Oct-May but have it when I need it. But I might have to re-think that. Once it gets hot in there even the exchange going all the time did little and it was 65 degrees last night. This is all new territory for me. Also I think the ecoplus thermometer/hygrometer I bought is not accurate because the extra sensor and the main unit never had the same readings and have been suspicious as it always seemed to report temps 5-8 degrees higher when I set it outside and knowing what the temps were outside. Going to exchange it or get a different brand today.

I don't have a controller either. Since I rely on air exchange to help the heat I see now that my intake/exhaust size is very challenged. It may be enough for Co2 exchange but that is about it so it seems. Gave all my ideas, dimensions and things like that to a couple of guys at a hydro store and went with their recommendations. 2 1k lights with exchage and 65 outside I thought would get me in range. How much heat does 2 1k lights produce on average? Epic fail in planning on my part and getting bad advice. Trying to do this in the most economical fashion. But like you say Doc environment is everything. Back to work.

Any2

Yea I was hoping on not having to use the AC and plan around the summer heat growing Oct-May but have it when I need it. But I might have to re-think that. Once it gets hot in there even the exchange going all the time did little and it was 65 degrees last night. This is all new territory for me. Also I think the ecoplus thermometer/hygrometer I bought is not accurate because the extra sensor and the main unit never had the same readings and have been suspicious as it always seemed to report temps 5-8 degrees higher when I set it outside and knowing what the temps were outside. Going to exchange it or get a different brand today.

I don't have a controller either. Since I rely on air exchange to help the heat I see now that my intake/exhaust size is very challenged. It may be enough for Co2 exchange but that is about it so it seems. Gave all my ideas, dimensions and things like that to a couple of guys at a hydro store and went with their recommendations. 2 1k lights with exchage and 65 outside I thought would get me in range. How much heat does 2 1k lights produce on average? Epic fail in planning on my part and getting bad advice. Trying to do this in the most economical fashion. But like you say Doc environment is everything. Back to work.

Any2

Not epic fail sir! Anything but that. You've got the makings of a phenomenal room there.

After seeing what you've already done---and you remind me of me; setting it up right from the start---here's an easy solution for you:

1. Purchase a CH4 controller from one of our sponsors.
2. Put your AC on full cool, as cold as it can go. (assuming it has auto-restart...they usually do) and plug it into the CHH4 in the "cool device" spot.

3. Put your intake/exhaust fans into the "humidity device" plug. Make sure it's set to demhumidify instead of humidify.....depending on your needs.
4. Plug a small heater into the "heating device" plug.
5. Ditto Co2 if you use it.

Program the controller for day/nite temps and rh.
Step back and worry about something else. :roorrip:

I've got 3 of these things....one in veg and bloom and one in the drying/curing room.

With your room and set up, You'll want a probe right by the canopy....and the CHH4 has this probe ready to roll.

Not epic fail sir! Anything but that. You've got the makings of a phenomenal room there.

After seeing what you've already done---and you remind me of me; setting it up right from the start---here's an easy solution for you:

1. Purchase a CH4 controller from one of our sponsors.
2. Put your AC on full cool, as cold as it can go. (assuming it has auto-restart...they usually do) and plug it into the CHH4 in the "cool device" spot.

3. Put your intake/exhaust fans into the "humidity device" plug. Make sure it's set to demhumidify instead of humidify.....depending on your needs.
4. Plug a small heater into the "heating device" plug.
5. Ditto Co2 if you use it.

Program the controller for day/nite temps and rh.
Step back and worry about something else. :roorrip:

I've got 3 of these things....one in veg and bloom and one in the drying/curing room.

With your room and set up, You'll want a probe right by the canopy....and the CHH4 has this probe ready to roll.
No Co2 Doc and the CH4 is a great unit but the damn things are not cheap and I am way over budget but I can't cheap out now on the most critical element. All my chips are in the middle at this point. As far as controllers go I like this model. Are there others in the Sentinel line that would work? EV-1 or 2? I should have looked deeper into this but was informed that I could get by with different gear early on so I went to 2k when I could have started at 1. Alright Doc thanks again gotta re-think a few things. Also wouldn't I plug my dehuey in the "humidity device" plug?

Any2

No Co2 Doc and the CH4 is a great unit but the damn things are not cheap and I am way over budget but I can't cheap out now on the most critical element. All my chips are in the middle at this point. As far as controllers go I like this model. Are there others in the Sentinel line that would work? EV-1 or 2? I should have looked deeper into this but was informed that I could get by with different gear early on so I went to 2k when I could have started at 1. Alright Doc thanks again gotta re-think a few things. Also wouldn't I plug my dehuey in the "humidity device" plug?

Any2

If you've got a dehum...yes, plug it into that! I thought you were trying to use outside air to normalize everything.

here's the thing with the CHH4: It will grow with you. As you expand, add lighting, etc. this controller will be right there with you. They replace probes, fix stuff....great customer service. Their product is fantastic and I attribute it as a key factor to my success.

I would have told you to hold off on the kit until you had your environment set up right....

If you can squeeze the budget to get one, you won't be sorry.

Think about it: we know what temps and rh our favorite plants like. We know what kind of soil and nutrition they like.....if we can provide a good environment and good food....there is NOTHING preventing us from harvesting fabulous produce. It really is that simple!

On the other hand...I'd say maybe 10% of growers actually have an ideal environment. I'll bet you can easily figure out who those 10% are......they don't have mites, don't have PM, and have picture after picture of gorgeous buds with healthy leaves, loaded with resin.

Ask any of them....and they'll tell you.

It's the environment....stoner!

If you've got a dehum...yes, plug it into that! I thought you were trying to use outside air to normalize everything.

here's the thing with the CHH4: It will grow with you. As you expand, add lighting, etc. this controller will be right there with you. They replace probes, fix stuff....great customer service. Their product is fantastic and I attribute it as a key factor to my success.

I would have told you to hold off on the kit until you had your environment set up right....

If you can squeeze the budget to get one, you won't be sorry.

Think about it: we know what temps and rh our favorite plants like. We know what kind of soil and nutrition they like.....if we can provide a good environment and good food....there is NOTHING preventing us from harvesting fabulous produce. It really is that simple!

On the other hand...I'd say maybe 10% of growers actually have an ideal environment. I'll bet you can easily figure out who those 10% are......they don't have mites, don't have PM, and have picture after picture of gorgeous buds with healthy leaves, loaded with resin.

Ask any of them....and they'll tell you.

It's the environment....stoner!
No worries Doc on the kit. Small set back and I will get it right! Looks like I will be grinding all weekend lol!

Thanks!

Doing some more checks on environment tonight and have a temporary solution to the heat issue. I will upgrade to a Sentinel product Doc spoke of but for now this is my solution. For temp and RH a Cap-2 should do just fine which will control the AC and the dehumidifier. My original plan was to use the outside temps during cooler months of the year and rely on air exchange to aid in temp control and not have to use my AC. But the size of the fans needed to be way bigger for this implementation but this was what was recommended by hydro guy at a store who I laid out all my plans and ideas on. "I thought you had air cooled hoods dude" was his response when I approached him yesterday and went over his plan he had for me. Pretty annoying but in the end ultimately it lands on me for taking his word. I spent hours there asking loads of questions on design and equipment needed and even showed him my notes and a quote from him on some adjusta wings when I was planning everything. Smoke another dab bro lol.

Oh well lesson learned and shit is already in and installed. I guess I could rip and replace a new exchange system or add on but that is industrious. So AC and controller it is and exchange fans pretty much on the whole time when lights are on and a more intermittent setting during lights off. Max was 82 last night and RH 35 so we will record another run tonight with a few tweeks.

Also.....I am gonna scrap the experimental cloning project on the various clones because they just lack the vigor and have some ailments with curling and had some pest pressure too. They were in the soil I cooked in June which were exposed to high heat during the cook and I have never felt really good about it(proper temps during the cook is a must!). I am gonna run my 6 wild thai's that have been vegging in HB soil for a week now and look really strong. Then I am going to complete with another 6 of clones that is GDPxBlueberryxLavender cross called Granderberry that are on deck but will finish a bit faster than the thai.

Few setbacks but I am super excited to get this going and in between have the outdoor hi brix ready to harvest so I have my hands full. Will keep up with updates tho. Some pics of the Wild Thai.
06925.JPG

07130.JPG

Peace,

Any2

Back
Top Bottom