1st Afghani CFL Grow - Pics - Advice Welcome

jawon

Hey everyone

I ordered some seeds from the single seed centre, and I would just like to say.. buy from them. Their customer service is amazingly fast. I ordered four seeds it took about two weeks to get and two were cracked. Sent them a email told them and they said they resend the order 4 or 5 days later they were here.
Now back to. The grow.

I have an Afghani seedling. Its regular so I'm not sure of the sex. Its about a week and a half old almost two.
I have 3 26w daylight (6500k) CFLs and 3 23w soft white (2700k) cfl bulbs. Its a small box 17.5'L x 8.5'W x 27.5'H
Any advice?

IMG_20140406_133335_155.jpg

View image in gallery

Hey m8,welcome.I'm new 2 this aswel.I'm growing in a tent using 250w hps so not not the 1 2 ans ur questions relating 2 cfl ect.if u find a journal called m1dragonace,he's the guy that'll know.I'll get him 2 check ur thread out:thumb:

Hey everyone, Little girls look good!

I'm glad your using both spectrum's! this is important for optimal growth( I'll add that using both spectrum's like that will lengthen your veg time required but its worth it!)

Do you have then in split sockets or dangling over them? also how far away are the bulbs from the plants?

I would say you have plenty of lighting over your plants my friend! Later during growth I would add more CFL's to the dark areas!

Can you give us a little more information about your grow room ventilation, fans, will you be upgrading the size of your room etc? Hit us with an Update friend!

Hope you and your girls Jawon, everyone Has a great day!:thumb:

Thanks M1
The box is painted white. The bulbs are in a y splitter sticking from the side so the little ones can get the most from it. My venting system is a tricky one
I'm using the black plastic tubing used for draining washing machines. We had extra so I stuck one at the bottom and one at the top. I have a small desk fan blowing fresh air in and the top tube let's the heat flow out. It stays rather cool inside the box now. I have the lights just about 1.5-2in away
I'll upload pics a little later.

That I haven't decided I want to keep this as a mother plant and keep it about 2-3ft max but I don't know the sex so I'm just kinda taking it day by day.
I had a question. Is there anything I can change to get bigger leaves and a bit faster growing? And what are cheap but good LEDs

i love the feeling of walking into your "grow area" and seeing a sprout. GREAT SUCCESS, congrats man best of luck.

hey bro ive been growing with cfls for a while now and the best you can do is try to get the plant from 3" to 4" away she will grow fast
she will be almost touching the light every day so every day you will have to move it and try to use less 2700k 1 for every 3 6500k should be fine and instead of having a tall box get a wide one that way you can lst or super crop that way your plant will stay 2 to 3 feet tall and the best way to use cfls put a reflector wallmart $8 will increase the intensity of light
and by they way shes having to much water thats way she looks droopy and yellowish good luck friend
peace

hey bro ive been growing with cfls for a while now and the best you can do is try to get the plant from 3" to 4" away she will grow fast
she will be almost touching the light every day so every day you will have to move it and try to use less 2700k 1 for every 3 6500k should be fine and instead of having a tall box get a wide one that way you can lst or super crop that way your plant will stay 2 to 3 feet tall and the best way to use cfls put a reflector wallmart $8 will increase the intensity of light good luck friend
peace

2-3 feet tall, in that setup?:popcorn::popcorn:

not in that set up the best way is to get a dresser and every time a branch gos up you ether super crop or lst that way your plant would be evely and the light will hit every top

Thanks littlemistery. I was planning on doinh a LST in a week or two. And I was going to go to Walmart tomorrow and get a couple emergency blankets. I'm thinking of getting a book case as well. Kinda had an idea for a box. But I shall keep this thread alive daily I'll be posting more pics of the baby in the morning. Thanks for following along.

Jason,the best advice I can give u,buy a grow tent.u can get them cheap on Amazon 4 around £50.honestly dude,I was gonna mess about with cupboards an wardrobes ect.see now,am I glad I bought a tent.once u hang ur lights,then clip on ur fan,ur 100% sorted.also I was going 2 use 300w cfl duel spec bulb.after research I found out a 250w hps would be a lot better 4 growth.CFL's WILL make ur plants grow longer,a hps will get ur plants growing quicker with tighter colas.if I were u I'd use ur set up 4 now,an order a grow tent,an a 250w hps 4 flowering.but please dude,take my advice.A TENT IS A MUST.plus I don't have extractor fans ect.I just have the 3 vents open in the tent,then I have the bedroom window open 4 the whole day an night wen lights are on,plus a small fan blowing inside the tent.let me know dude if u can make these changes.:thumb:

Hey Jawon it's me again, so that sounds good getting a book case! Personally I do agree with snakelad, Life is made a lot easyie even with just a cheapie tent, however I know how people are going to be with ordering stuff and buying stuff that relates to cannabis. Kinda timid, I understand.

If you plan to LST more than 1 plant you should be looking at an area like 4 foot by 2 foot. Nice area for each of your plants.

I'm still learning what your plans are, I was sure your intention was to just use that box while they are small right? Please keep us updated! I've still seen some good yields with CFL's its the environment that dictates how much you get, so she should be at temps no lower then 60F at night and no more then 81-82 F during the day the sweet spot is 65-68 at night and 74-76 during the day. I would recommend finding a sprayer and mist your little girls with water everyday ( do not water them with it just make it rain!)

I'll be around to see what you have come up with! hope everyone has a great day!:thumb:

IMG_20140407_110054_397.jpg
IMG_20140407_110107_002.jpg
IMG_20140407_110157_609.jpg

Hey everyone here with an update. Seems a little droopy. I'm thinking of getting a lower watt metal halide to throw in aight the cfl. Like less than 100watts. So it'll help the foliage growth and when I flower I think IMA switch the mph for a his about 100-150watt hps.
But I'll probably do that with the tent idea.

Woot! Don't forget about all the other investments you should commit to if you want the tent!

Since you are getting such a low wattage bulb, heat shouldn't be much of an issue but you will still need air exchange, so you will need some ducting and an inline fan either 6in or 4in, there is notable difference between the 2 sizes in how much it can move but as I said heat shouldn't be a problem. Ideally you should have 1 blowing fresh air in and 1 taking air out(preferably at the top where the heat will build up). It is also best to run with a good size oscillating fan that will keep air movement turbulent, it will also strengthen your plants.

There are a few other things you don't necessarily need but are good to have and they are a thermometer/hydrometer, filter for intake, carbon filter for outtake, rope ratchets( don't want your hot light to fall on your girls do you? use something strong like chains!!), Nutrients, PPM Meter and I'm sure other things.

Will you be growing organically with just water? I like that you will be upgrading! let us know what you plan on getting:high-five::thumb:

Make sure that you do not over water your little girl, They do not like to be watered everyday. It is best to water them fully through once and then let it completely dry out before watering again. I had 2-3 strains that were droopy at this stage and today their leafs still droop more then the rest by a little during the day and at night they droop a bit more. Just make sure your not over watering her and you will be fine:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom