First Indoor Grow - DS60 Tent - Mazar x White Rhino & Two Dwarfs - 7 Dwarfs - Soil

Jack Dabs

Hi All

This is my first attempt at an indoor grow. I was planning to do an outdoor grow but lost out on the space I was going to use so I hastily set up a small tent DS60 which is 2x2x5.5.

As a result I am a bit lost but learning as I go along.

Secret Jardin DS60 tent
Using 250W HPS Sunmaster (dual spectrum)
Soil - Standard Indoor Plant Soil
Veg Nutrients - Canna Vega
Budding nutes- Vitalink Buddy (came with set-up)
4'' exhaust fan
Passive intake with a fan inside

Awaiting a PH tester - been ordered

Seeds:

1 x Mazar x White Rhino - World of seeds
Linage: Afghan, Brazil, India
Genotype: Mostly indica
Height: 100-120 cm
Growing phase: 3 to 4 weeks
Flowering phase: 55 / 60 days indoors
Production: 400-600 gr/m2 indoors
Medical value: High
Smell: Strong
Taste: Sweet and a little heavy
Effect: Narcotic medical
THC Level: <20%

1 x Goliath - 7 Dwarfs seeds
Type: Indica, Sativa & Ruderalis
Type: Autoflowering Dwarf
Flowering period: 9 weeks from seed
Yield: 35 grams plus per plant

1 x Titan - 7 Dwarfs seeds
Type: Autoflowering Dwarf
Flowering period: 9 weeks from seed
Yield: 35 grams plus per plant
Characteristics: Dense blue aromatic buds

So a bit of back story, planted the Mazar x White Rhino, Goliath and Trojan (also one of the 7 Dwarfs) on the same day.
Trojan never sprouted so I replaced it with Titan which is a week younger than the others. Tried to germ Trojan and the seed cracked and the roots tried to come out but then just stopped, so I popped her in the middle of the other two not expecting it to pop and so far that's been the case.

I am known to have the odd toke but this genuinely is for medicinal reasons, which is why the Mazar x White Rhino is going to be my main focus and the Dwarfs are just a bit extra on the side. My wife wolfs down over 1000 extra strength blood pressure pills a year and a dose of hash oil a day regulates it completely without the need for pills alongside Apple Cider Vinegar (great tip for those with gastro or BP problems). I suffer from chronic back pain, insomnia, depression and the odd anxiety attack. Hash oil solves my problems too but for some reason most sativas don't agree with me in terms of paranoia and anxiety. Smoked African sativas like Swazi, Malawi and Durban poison 3-4 times a day for years and never had a problem so this is a more recent thing.

Having said that I can enjoy them and have no problems suffering through the panic attacks and paranoia because I do some serious introspection and solves my life's problems but lets just say it's often less than comfortable but the next day I never regret it and genuinely feel like a better person and I make changes. Introspection is healthy and it's safe to say that Cannabis often shows me where I am mentally (like a gauge) and makes me want to be better. I intend to make hash oil to take orally once a day but I will also have a spliff of bud to try it out and give you guys a smoke report ok...

Pics to follow later tonight, just gotta get the kiddies to bed first.

Here is my set up, will post pics of the plants a bit later: (sorry these are crappy will take pics with another phone next time)

IMG02952-20140325-1022.jpg
IMG02954-20140325-1026.jpg
IMG02951-20140325-1020.jpg
IMG02950-20140325-1018.jpg

Re: First Indoor Grow (DS60 Tent) Mazar x White Rhino and Two Dwarfs (7 Dwarfs) - Soi

Ok so I have some pics, sorry about the quality, my phone camera is better than this but the lighting in my house sucks ass.

Will try and fix this somehow.

So firstly this is the Mazar x White Rhino Day 12:

IMG02975-20140409-2258.jpg
IMG02977-20140409-2300.jpg
IMG02976-20140409-2259.jpg

This is Goliath also day 12:

IMG02979-20140409-2302.jpg

Titan at day 5:

IMG02980-20140409-2303.jpg

Titan and Goliath

IMG02978-20140409-2301.jpg

Titan on her own:
IMG02980-20140409-2303.jpg

Here is how they are set up in my tent at the moment:

IMG02981-20140409-2305.jpg

Re: First Indoor Grow (DS60 Tent) Mazar x White Rhino and Two Dwarfs (7 Dwarfs) - Soi

Welcome Jack. I have grown two different Mazar crosses and liked them both. I primarily use cannabis for anxiety/insomnia. I look forward to seeing how the Mazar x WR turns out.

Thanks PeeJay, I am really looking forward to it too.

First mistake so far is that I did not put nearly enough soil in the pot. After watering a few times it's compacted to leave a huge gap between the soil and the top of the pot.

Also really not sure what to do with regards to topping, scrog lst etc. Heard so many different opinions and not sure what is best for this grow. I am tempted to do a Scrog but also tempted to leave it as is for the first grow and just learn from it.

Can someone please chime in. Should I top and train this plant for a scrog? I have a feeling I will need to re-pot her with that massive gap, taking up valuable space in the pot.

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Don't worry about the soil level in the pot, Jack. You will need to transplant into a bigger pot anyway. You'll want a five or seven gallon container to fill up the 2x2 space. You aren't that attached to the autos - they present a bigger problem because they don't like being transplanted and having two in one container is a bad plan.

I flower in a 24"x18" inch space and have done a porta-scrog, but prefer to just top the plant once and use more of the vertical space available. There is tons of training information out there. It's one of those topics that you are better off reading around than asking about, in my opinion. If you ask you'll get all sorts of opinions. Read some journals and pick a method.

One more thing, Jack, don't be tempted to add more soil around the stem of the Mazar plant to raise the level. Some folks may suggest that you can add soil around the stem and roots will grow out of the buried part. It really shocks the plant and makes it very susceptible to a myriad of problems. You will want to transplant in a week or so into a bigger pot.

PeeJay you are a legend. I have just added more soil to the pot literally before I read your post, will remove it now with a view to transplanting Within the next few days.

I had a look at a great 4 way lst method for scrog preparation and looking at my plant, it looks like it will be tricky to pull that off. The shape of the plant is different to the one shown and may have left it a little too late.

https://------------.com/lbh-4-way-lst-tutorial

So I have decided not to top and to do a scrog for the Mazar x WR. Just trying to keep everything simple. Yeah the auto's were a bit of an afterthought and used the single pot, mainly because it's all I had. So my thinking is to get the Mazar to fill up 2/3 of the available space and leave the rest for the Dwarfs to grow against the side. Just need to arrange it so that I can also keep the fan going. Once the canopy is going I will add a clip on fan to blow the tops of it while the main fan blows underneath it, considering the temps in there are a bit on the high side.

Thank you so much for your help PeeJay, really, really appreciate it.

If you post a link to an outside forum the link will get scrambled, Mr. Dabs.

Here is a picture of my current soil plant that fits in the 18" x 24" space. If you're interested I can get a picture of it in the cabinet in the morning.

ogw4_1.jpg

ogw4_2.jpg

It is very easy to train for eight branches that will stack nicely. This plant was topped between the 6th and 7th nodes. The branches from the bottom two nodes were removed leaving eight branches. Give me a shout if you'd like me to walk you through it when the plant gets a little bigger. It's pretty painless and the genetics suit it.

Glad you caught the soil adding! The plant sets out a root scheme to harvest nutrients from the soil based on millions of years of evolution - a complex interchange between the plant, roots, and microorganisms in the soil. When you add soil around a stem it drastically upsets the apple cart!

Posted pictures of a currently flowering plant in the 24" x 18" space in my journal this morning, Jack.

So here is an 18 day update for the Mazar X WR and the Goliath and an 11 day update for Titan:

What I have decided to do is a Scrog for the M X WR which is currently at around 10 inches about the soil. Hoping it fills a decent portion of the screen and then the two dwarfs will each have a corner of the screen which they can poke out of if need be but won't be training them. Doubt they are going to get very high as both have already started showing sex and they are pretty small.

Here are some pics - Mazar x White Rhino first:

DSCN47451.JPG

DSCN47443.JPG

DSCN47431.JPG

DSCN47422.JPG

DSCN47411.JPG

You can see that I scorched a few of the lower leaves, pretty sure it was from getting them wet when watering and the light burning her because I ran a little test on a leaf that was screwed anyway, left a tiny drop and the burn mark was exactly the same. Otherwise she looks like quite a healthy plant.

Re-potted to a 3 gallon bucket and been feeding Canna Tera twice a week and just watering when she feels bone dry.

Here is Goliath (day 18) and Titan day 12

DSCN47461.JPG

Goliath

DSCN47472.JPG

Will update tonight with photos but here is what has been happening lately:

Firstly I have switched to the gas lantern routine because I am concerned about electricity costs as well as heat issues. The room they are in gets extremely hot, it gets the sun all day and there is a boiler near there too and this way I can control the temperature and keep it fairly consistent by having dark periods during the day. I have done a lot of reading up on glr and heard many good things so I guess I will know soon enough either way.

Mazar X WR is coming along nicely. She is still in veg but showing sex. I had an issue with what sounded like like too much nitrogen. Seemed textbook claw leaves, extremely green leaves in the middle etc. So I flushed her and within a couple days she bounced back and has been growing pretty well since.

I have installed a scrog screen and she seems to be growing into it nicely albeit a bit slower than before. I plan on filling the screen 70% before flipping to 12/12 as she is mainly an indica strain and that was the best advice I have got so far.I am really unsure what to do with veg nutes as maybe I flushed too much? Really don't know if i should add more at much smaller doses? I overdosed her by giving her the recommended dose. I am using Canna Veg.

As for the other two, the auto's are well into flower and once again not sure what to do with flowering nutes. Don't have high hopes for them because they are already too far from the light and if anything they are going to be getting less and less as Mazar fills the screen. Goliath's leaves are pointing upwards which looks really odd, they have not had any nutes so I can only assume she is doing this because of the distance to the light?

The dwarfs are pretty beautiful plants but I think I have dwarfed the dwarfs. No high hopes but would like to get something off them.

Pics to follow later and any advice would be really appreciated.

Nice Mr. Dabs! I like the look of the Mazar x WR. Fat shiny leaves. The mini-autos are having a party, too. :party:

Not sure what to say about feeding the Mazar... Now that it's in the screen you won't be able to flush it easily again. You washed the poop out with a flush... I'd guess that you can feed her pretty heavily - the bigger she gets the more she'll eat. Adolescents are famous for having big appetites.

Plants look great. :thumb:

Thanks PeeJay. Yeah the leaves are beautiful, almost look like they made of wax, been really shiny and rich coloured from the start. Hope that's not my doing haha.

Did a nute feed today, half dose, will see what happens over the next couple days. Still deciding whether to give the dwarfs flowering nutes. It says on the bottle from 4 weeks of flowering onwards but these are 60 day auto's in theory they are almost halfway through.

Maybe just take a stab. I think they are going to get abused anyway from lack of light. I think I can make a spot for the bigger one but the little one is tucked away in a corner. Only the strong survive concept due to bad planning on my part. I have decided to allocate a corner of the screen for Goliath to just grow through and just leave Titan as I think I have dwarfed her even further. She started flowering much sooner than Goliath and really has got the raw deal.

The Mazar has had a little growth spurt since yesterday and that screen is filling fast. Really not sure of the timing when it comes to switching light routines.

Also not sure what exactly is meant by filling the screen by 70%. If I left the leaves to do their thing they would be filling more of the screen than they are but I have been tucking them and waiting for the branches to reach the screen to get some light. Common sense (my version anyway) tells me that is what I am supposed to be doing but I could be way off. Can't seem to find much info about stretch for this strain so this really is just winging it the moment.

Trying to balance learning the ropes by experimenting and getting a good product too. Tell you what I am damn keen on next time is Light Addicts fluxing method. Wow!!! Been looking for ways to do one plant at a time for the next run and to maximize it with my limited space and came across that masterful dudes method.

Jack,

I'M Sabo, nice to meet you! PeeJay is one of my mentors & a very good one at that! I'll follow along as much as I can & I like what you are doing! PeeJay gives great advice and tips, just follow them & you will be guided to an outstanding grow & harvest!

:Namaste:

Great to meet you too and thanks for stopping by. PeeJay has already been a massive help and what a nice guy. Been following his journal and had a look at yours too, sounds like it's going to be fun project. I will have a look at your completed journal sometime over the weekend.

At this stage everything I do is more arse than class so need all the help I can get :). Happy to learn as I go along though and great to be surrounded by good people who are so willing to impart their wisdom.

I love that your "7 dwarfs" mix includes Goliath and Titan.
Nice bit of whimsy there.

I'm a brand new grower watching several grow threads and in a similar situation in that I rarely partake but am 'assisting' my wife with a state legal medical grow.
I like the way you presented your room and seeds.
I'll just take a seat here and watch.

Ok. I MIGHT not stay totally quiet.

Your dwarfs seem too happy to abandon to fate, especially with flowers forming.
Have you considered tucking a block or stool under the dwarfs to lift them up to the scrog?
If it were me, I'd get them as high as they can go do they can share the light.

My guess, from vegetable gardening years ago, is that the dwarfs might finish up before your Mazar x Rhino fills the scrog.

Enjoy your grow, it looks like you have an early success on your hands.

Radogast

Thanks for joining in Radogast. Great to have you here!! I skimmed your journal but will have a proper look over the weekend. I was actually thinking of doing a White Widow but with some reading up it seemed they are a little fussier than other strains so I thought I would leave that for another time. Sure you will do well with yours though esp with some gardening experience, I will follow your progress with interest.

Yeah the names are brilliant, there was also a Colossus and a Gigantes so quite a sense of humor they have. Pity the Trojan did not pop, was looking really forward to that one, it's supposed to be just one large dense cola.

I have actually propped them up a little bit. I also would hate to see them go to ruin. I will try and find something to prop them up even further.

Titan is the problem as she is just too low to get any significant light so will get what I can off of her but Goliath I think will need a corner dedicated to her regardless. If I prop them up too high Goliath will be too close to the light and if I tuck her she will be using more screen space. Terrible lack of planning.

Mazar has gone ballistic overnight, gave her nutes yesterday and nearly an inch of growth in some places so I think that screen is going to fill very fast. I can't speak from experience so maybe she will slow down some although she does still have to grow through her stretch.

Mazar is treating me well so I will do my best to do the same for her. The best thing I have done for them so far is to keep my wife away from them. I don't exactly have a green thumb but she has the touch of death. I swear she could kill a cactus. :rofl:

I did have to give the girls names though - They are Maizie, Gilly and Tatiana.

Back
Top Bottom