First Grow Part 1 - Setup

SilverCattona

Starting my first grow soon, Running into problems with set-up though. Got a Good Grow-light and feminized seeds, but my roommate started germination 2 days ago before we had anything set up, we have a few seeds if we need to start again, he only germinated 3 of 9, though I stuck one in soil and put in my window, Hopefully it grows. I only wanted to grow one at a time and maybe have clones, but he just kinda ignored me. We plan to use Ona Gel Pro to remove smell, Best solution we could find where we don't have to damage our apartment to remove smell, we're going to put a fan in to help move the air around and stop it from heating up too much in one area and burning my closet walls and/or floor. The light hangs too close to the floor, so we're trying to find a way to either angle it diagonally down from one side or somehow have it on the floor and make it face one side of my closet. Either way we plan to rotate the plants once a day to ensure it gets even light on both sides.
EDIT: We figured out a different way to do it, in the box in the picture, we can fit it in my closet, Raise or lower the shelves as needed, And we can cut a hole in the shelf for the light to stick out of. The only problem with this setup is the heat shield will not fit. If it's safe to remove some of the bottom of the heat shield I could cut it to fit, but It's made of a hard plastic and I don't want it to crack. Still planing to use fan and Gel stuff for smell and heat. I'll post a picture after this message.

Re: First Grow Part 1: Setup

IMG_20140416_164226.jpg
Box on Right is the one I'm using, Going to move that wood piece out, Shelves are out right now

My roommate and I are also going away for an anime convention for 3 days, Should be in growing stage by then, and I was wondering do I give them A lot of water and hope they survive or is there another Low-cost($75 or less) method to keep them alive? They will be on a 18h on/6h off schedule which should evaporate less water than 24h on. We'll be getting a timer, Extension cord and a surge protector to turn the light on and off and we should have a fan in there to help keep the heat down

Unfortuately 3 seeds have been germinated already so we're going to try putting them all in different pots and hoping they grow. If it looks like they're dieing we'll have to remove 2 of the plants.

:welcome: My set-up is pretty the same. Im using a 400w mh/hps with 8 inch fan to draw air and two 10 inch fan to expell heat and old air. I hate posting pics on other people pages but i thought you might want to see my set-up.

20140327_124326.jpg
20140407_223926.jpg

I hope this helps.

Having a small problem, My friend says the heat shield is Necessary for the light to work, But the heat shield won't fit in the box. The box itself is pretty heat resistant, it can handle a Zippo right on it without burning, And it takes about 10 seconds from my Pocket Torch for a burn mark to apper, The box is treated wood.

Gonna put off growing until next month, I have a friend who can take the seeds already germinated, Going to wait untill set-up is done like I should have, Instead my roommate germinated 3 seeds for no reason. We can't afford to finish set-up now. I'll keep updating my setup progress though. No growing until setup is done though.

Found a temp. solution for one seed, which is what I wanted anyway. Just a backroom with a normal lightbulb, Hopefully will be good enough until the end of the month. Seeds are just starting to have thing sprouting out, root I think (I'm going to put it down unless told otherwise), and should take a few more days to Germinate.

Going to try a less risky way since my "apartment" is a house cut into two, and because the grow light I have is too risky, I'd almost certainly get caught on the electric bill alone! Instead, I'm going to try CLF's. I'm going to use 3 or 4 for my one plant and hope it works. Still going to put it in the box though. I'll use the Actual grow light in the future if this doesn't work, but I think it should for 1 Personal plant right? One last thing, I'd like to thank ColoradoKid and rillos for there Excellent help. Thank you both! Your advice is excellent and I'm sure without you I'd have already messed up.

About how many lights? I was going to use 42w (150 incandescent) soft white bulbs, are they good enough? I also need to get something to power the bulbs as my closet doesn't have places to screw light-bulbs into and I can't find anything because I don't know what they're called (Clamps?), I'll probably need a good extension cord, I need a pot and some soil, a timer, the emergency blanket, a surge protector and, a small fan just to start. Remember my roommate is a dumb ass who started Germination before we had anything but research, all we had were feminized seeds, and I'm a little low on Cash this month, but that Might be fixed tomorrow.

Okay, I've gotten a...well, not exactly a plan, more a rough draft of what I can do, but I need to find something hang a lightbulb in my closet and have it powered by a wall outlet via extention cord, other than that, I'm pretty good. I've lost some sleep over this, mostly do to not buying Marijuana to pay for it but it's finally falling into place. If anyone knows what the light bulb powering thing is called I'd appreciate it, as it's the last thing I need to Price before I'm ready. I'm going to go tomorrow and get what I need. Till' then, Goodnight.

Can't sleep I'm so excited and nervous! I've just been reading the links I was given, one of which was ------'s (Is ------ the user name?) DIY Odor bucket. It looks really good, and If pine sol or fr breeze works with it I'll definitely make one.

I don't know why but earlier today I got really sad that I'll have to kill 2 seeds and I started crying over the fact I failed to take care of them. I have to stop drinking catnip tea, It's doing weird things to me.

You really only need a few CFL lights in there some emergency blanket from walmart a desk fan and get them started. Everything else will come. While you sitting waiting to get everything you could be growing some nice bud. 75.00 dollars at walmart.
Priced everything out, I can pay about $60 to start tomorrow. I'll have to use my credit card, But I just got it this month so there's a 21 day grace period in which I'll Definitely be able to pay it back.

Here is a quote from another website, I forget the rules about links so I'm just going to give the name of the site, ------------, anyway the quote was :"After having one successful grow under your belt, I guarantee that the whole process will start making more sense." I sure hope so. Anyway, a strange thought crossed my mind earlier, I was wondering if it's possible to grow sideways. what I mean is if you found a way to keep the soil in the pot water it, and put the light above the pot opening could you grow it out horizontally, or would gravity or other factors make it impossible? Here's a little diagram:
L -------P
L is the light, -- is the plant, P is the pot. I'm not going to try it, was just wondering if it was possible, I think it'd be neat to see.

Back
Top Bottom