Cap'n Style Top-Fed Simple Hydroponics With Grow Chunks

jamthe3

Been growing in Coco for awhile but want to try the Cap'ns Simple Hydro style w/2 reg Jack Herers, 1 fem Carmel Ice & 1 fem Critical Hog.
0051517.JPG
Critical Hog 3 days since breaking ground
021339.JPG
017462.JPG
Carmel Ice @ 2 days
022300.JPG
018411.JPG
Jack Herer @ 2 days
023277.JPG
and the other Jack Herer up yesterday
024250.JPG

Re: Cap'n Style Top-Fed Simple Hydroponics w/Grow Chunks

Plan on starting them in these, my little diy mini air pots...was wondering if I should slice up the grow chunks to get them smaller.
037132.JPG
038124.JPG

Re: Cap'n Style Top-Fed Simple Hydroponics w/Grow Chunks

Right now they're under 2 27w CFL's real close w/a 65w significantly higher; when I get them in the 24 oz cottage cheese wanna be air pots, I'll move them into my veg closet under a 600w MH.

That room stays with light on @ about 78-82 degrees and 40-45% humidity (higher when watering, in coco at least) with maybe a 10 degree drop w/light out.

I plan on hand watering in the early stages and then hooking up pumps (the box was used as a back drop in the first pic of the thread) to get it going like the Cap'ns how to article describes here: How to: Simple Hydroponics

Nutes I'm going to "play by ear" for now and use various left overs (got some dyna grow and bloom, a Roots Organics kit, Botincare Cal/Mag, Super Thrive, Snowstorm, Gravity, Miracle Grow, Bat Guano, salt peter prills and a Nitrogen supplement w/calcium from somebody or 'nother) adjusting strength monitored with my handy-dandy tds pen until I figure out what works best as I've never tried this style and have only grown the Carmel Ice strain previously...in other words, all criticism and advice is welcome.

subbed up and attentive! :popcorn:
Thanks Sweetie, I don't feel comfortable doing the "invites" when posting; so I cheated and found one of your posts on how to add it to a signature. Hopefully others will show to help me keep from falling on my face as I've never tried this before (Rockwool only) and have only one strain I've even grown previously going.

Will get camera happy showing some other vegging and flowering things going on which will make room for these seedlings fairly shortly here to kill the dead time/space of maturing the plants.

:popcorn:

Are you talking about the cube chunks like the sprouts are in? I've seen them cubed up in containers in small pieces, like 1/2" size maybe?

No, its a bag of Grodan Chunks which are fairly bigger than the bag of cubes which S1ing uses, last night the first ones I pre-soaked to get the PH right I cut in half. So far have enough for one of the cottage cheese cups and will start soaking more today. The cubes are supposed to be roughly 1/4" and the chunks are about twice to thrice that size. I have the seedlings currently in 2" starter cubes and plan on burying them in the sliced chunks sometime within the next week depending on growth. Having issues with one Jack Herer so far as the A-hole doesn't want to stand up all the way. I think I probably left the starter cubes to moist at the git, but if nothing else I'll have three solid seedlings.

Glad to have ya and the boys I'm trying to learn from have a wealth of info from experience, so hopefully we'll both enjoy the ride

That works for me. I want to get away from soil because of the cost !!! My last batch of soil was 120.00 :thedoubletake:

Howdy, howdy...was gonna wait 'till tommorrow or the next day to update but will probably be busy burying the 2" starter plugs into my makeshift mini-airpots instead as I'm seeing the taproot underneath three of them already. Kinda wondering if I bury part of the stem with some chunks like I normally bury it when using Coco, hhmmm. Well, we'll find out soon enough one way or another I guess, lol. I'll put up a couple pics of the seedlings and seeing as after about a week there's obviously not alot to update :) I'll also put up some pics of the 3 plants under my MH in the veg room they'll be replacing once I feel comfortable they're big enough & ready for the light. When I post pics of the 1st transplant of the seedlings, I'll try to post pics of what's in the flower room that those will be replacing...only way I can think to keep it mildly entertaining durring this slow period here in the first couple weeks...anyhoots:

The Carmel Ice & healthy Jack Herer are 6 days above ground and the Critical Hog's a week above. The other Jack Herer is 5 days & simply refuses to stand up in a timely manner, we'll see how it fares:

Carmel Ice
Carmel_Ice_2_.JPG
Carmel_Ice.JPG
Critical Hog
Critical_Hog_2_.JPG
Critical_Hog.JPG
Jack Herer
Jack_Herer_2_.JPG
Jack_Herer14.JPG
and the other Jack Herer who's wearing my patience thin already, lol
problem_Jack_Herer.JPG
Problem_Jack_Herer_2_.JPG

These are what I'm working on currently. I have a Blue Rhino from clone (going on over a year from the original seed) who's gonna replace her older sister in a couple weeks or so, an 8-Ball Kush that I'm not gonna grow any more after this one that will be replacing two of her older sisters. Her original mom's seed looked like crap from the git-go and I've currently got two clones flowering w/only one looking semi-decent at best. Gave her 3 shots (currently on the third go around) and its just a crap pheno that's way to picky & tempermental. Wouldn't have even bothered w/this 4th one 'ceptin my seed order took over a month to arrive and needed a third plant to flower while vegging the current seedlings. The third plant is Blue Rhino clone whose sole purpose in life is to multiply, either by clone or seed or hopefully both. The 2 Jack Herers are reg seeds and I was (in a perfect world) hoping to get 1 gal & 1 guy; if that happens, the BR and the JH's are gonna have a three way and I picked up a batch of Lemon Haze Autos I'll be germing next week to fill the gap no matter what happens.

Veg room currently
Veg_room18.JPG
Blue Rhino
Blue_Rhino_back_lft_corner.JPG
8-Ball Kush
8-Ball_Kush_in_front.JPG
other Blue Rhino
Blue_Rhino_back_right_corner.JPG

I yanked them all out to bend 'em some more and in the 8-Ball's case trim some crap off as well:

Blue Rhino before
Blue_Rhino_pre-training.JPG
BR_again_pre-training.JPG
and after
Blue_Rhino_after_training.JPG
BR_again.JPG
8-Ball Kush before
8-BK_pre-training_trim.JPG
8-BK_again_pre-training.JPG
and after
8-BK_again_after_trnging_trim.JPG
8-BK_again.JPG
8-BK_after_training_trim.JPG
and the future mommy Blue Rhino before
The_other_BR_pre-training.JPG
and after
after16.JPG
again2.JPG
and the Veg room now with them back in
Veg_room_now.JPG
Veg_room_now_again.JPG

Hi jamthe3.

I'm gonna follow along if you don't mind..

Don't have much to contribute but i'm planning a grow very similar to this one,
so i'm hoping to learn as much as i can before everything is in place.

cheers :)

Back
Top Bottom