Lem's 2014 Outdoor Grow Journal

I live out in the sticks in the High Desert. My back yard is a Mountain so what I've done is Tarraced the hill.
NODH_003.jpg
Here I got a Jack Hammer and cut away the hill.Then I used the Hammer and a shovel to dig a trench 15 feet long 4 feet wide and 5 feet deep and replaced the dirt with good soil.( 2- Big bags of Super Soil, 8 Lbs of Worm Casings, 1Lb of Bone Meal, 1lb of Blood Meal, 3 cups of Epsom Salt, 2 cups Dolimite Lime, 2 big bags Peralite, and 1.5lbs Bat Guano )
NODH_002.jpg
NODH_001.jpg
Above the trench I just dug holes,( 2 feet in circumferance,and about 3 feet deep ). Then I cut two more terraces below that.
NODH_004.jpg
NODH_005.jpg
NODH_006.jpg
NODH_007.jpg
I did the same thing on the flip side of the hill.
NODH_008.jpg
NODH_009.jpg
NODH_010.jpg
NODH_011.jpg
NODH_012.jpg
That was March 28th 2014.
NOC_001.jpg
All winter long I was Cloning my mothers to get plants for the hill. On April 8th 2014 I planted 11 Super Lemon Haze plants and covered them with plastic in case it got to cold at night.
the_hedge_002.jpg
the_hedge_003.jpg
the_hedge_004.jpg
and then put in a 100 watt CFL that I run from 7pm untill Midnight for a month so the plants dont start to bud and then have to switch back to Veg which messes with there growth patterens.

Then on April 17th 2014 I planted 10 Pure Kush plants above the Super Lemon Haze plants.
2014_TH_002.jpg
Then on the flip side I planted 4- Unknowen, 4- Grape Ape, 2- Jack herer, 2- Aruora Ultra, 4- Sour Diesel, and 3- L.A. Confidencial. At this time I water them every other day and Foilage Spray every night with 1ts of Fox Farms Grow Big per gallon of PHed water.These next 4 pictures are today May 14 2014.Now I believe your all caught up. So C-YA next time. TOAST Oh I all so Topped all these plants back on the May 1st 2014.
The_Hill_0071.jpg
The_Hill_0081.jpg
The_Hill_0091.jpg
The_Hill_0101.jpg

The_Planter_005.jpg
The_Planter_006.jpg
The_Planter_007.jpg
The_Planter_008.jpg
The_Planter_009.jpg
Oh yea I forgot the Planter. I thought I would do something a little drifferent with this space. I took 5 Super Frost plants ( A pheno type of my Aurora Ultra ) in this planter 2 at each end and 1 in the middle. I cut the middle out of each plant and tacked down the branches. Im trying to make a Hedge that stays under the hight of my wall. I had some above ground Romex 12/3 electrical cable left over in my shed. I striped the outer casing off to get the three wires inside. Then bent one end of the wire to make a hook. I use these hooks to arrange the branches in a spread out patteren. Take caution when bending the branches that connect directly to the main stalk because they will break very easily. So only tack down these branches a little at a time. Ok now you are all up to date. TOAST

The_Hill_0141.jpg
The_Hill_0171.jpg
Well I went up to check the plants on the Hill, and found eight plants Budding Out.I decided to dig them up and bring them down to my Indoor room and flower them out.I ended up only having room for six of them. So I left two on the Hill well see how they end up. I was able to get the six into containers with out any stress or wilting , very suprising. I then replanted some of my other clones.They should be OK, and have plenty of time to grow nice and big.
The_Hill_0131.jpg

Outstanding stuff going on here! I am so excited to be along for the ride with you. You have done a lot of good work preparing and planning all this. I forsee a vast amount of lucious fruit in the future. You deserves some +Reps! Great job and I'll definitely be following along. I will see if I can bring a few other members too! :popcorn: :surf: :cheer:

Oh yeah, man! Lester brought me here and I'm really enjoying the view! You're doing what we call in northern Italy "terrazzamento". It's used mostly fir cultuvating grapevine. I believe you could mount an irrigation system to flush out the nitrogen before the harvest. That'd work theoretically :) And just from a pure curiosity, what's your natural soil down there knowing that's a desert and all. Probably pests are not a big problem in your parts. With these already flowering plants it's really a shame, but almost everybody switching from indoor to outdoor goes through the same thing. Maybe you could minimize photoperiod difference before taking them out. But well, if they flower, let them flower :)

Enjoying the ride already!
Happy growing!

Great Job! Appears to me that you have done tons of digging around in the dirt & all the hard work will pay definitely pay off. Good Ole Lester gave me the heads up to come on over and check this out.

Def +Reps!

Subbed up!

:Namaste:

Holly sheet Lem my back hurts just thinking about all the work you have done. Great plan and great setup. Love growing outside. You are going to have a bountiful fall for sure. I'm here for the long haul.

Nice work Lemba, I like your creative, spread. I have a girl that I may have to "re-wire" to keep her from going over my 4' wall.

Would you know if any certain types of bare wire can be detrimental to a plants health?

Thanks, I've been making sleeves from plastic tubing, to be on the safe side.

Thanks for the tips, this looks like a fun yard, one that I will be keeping an eye on. cheers :goodjob:

OH HELLS YEAHHHHH

Now this is the life...dude you got SO MUCH WIN going on here it is hard to say what i like the most. Let me tell you this, you have balls, so many plants at once, you are the man.

I look forward to this journal, you have already attracted some of the BEST members on :420: in terms of outdoor advice, i will most deff be keeping an eye on this one!!!

Reps to you!!!

Best and Blessed!!

First of all, Thanks every one for the encuraging words, there greatly appreciated. I want to address tricombs question. I never thought about it. So I dont know if any thing harmful can be transfered from bear wire to the plants. But I use 12 gauge solid copper wire and Im thinking that sence I just replaced the galvinized pipe in my house with copper pipe that it should be ok to use on the plants, it doesnt rust or any like that I know of. Heres a pic of the planter today. If you look close on the left side there are two holes in the canopy.Thats where I pulled branches down to hard and broke them off. So I guess Im going to have to vine branches from the other plants to cover my screw up. Thats it for now. TOAST
The_Hill_040.jpg

First of all, Thanks every one for the encuraging words, there greatly appreciated. I want to address tricombs question. I never thought about it. So I dont know if any thing harmful can be transfered from bear wire to the plants. But I use 12 gauge solid copper wire and Im thinking that sence I just replaced the galvinized pipe in my house with copper pipe that it should be ok to use on the plants, it doesnt rust or any like that I know of. Heres a pic of the planter today. If you look close on the left side there are two holes in the canopy.Thats where I pulled branches down to hard and broke them off. So I guess Im going to have to vine branches from the other plants to cover my screw up. Thats it for now. TOAST
The_Hill_040.jpg

Oh my God, my kind of grow :thumb:. So sexy, I love the rocks and the bricks :circle-of-love:. Things are fantastic my friend :Namaste:

I love the contrast between the planter bed and then the plants on the hill.
:circle-of-love:

The plants on the hill are going to be damn aesthetic, and then you'll have the full planter bed. So it's going to be a really great sight.

It would be one hell of a place to walk around and admire the beauty. I really do love the stone work surrounding the planter, super gorgeous. You really made a plan an executed it, and you're going to see the fruits of your labor! I would have done the same thing in my situation to create an even canopy that does not exceed the height of the wall /fence line. Being able to "time the stretch" when they flower becomes important, but it looks like everything is as good as it could possibly be here!! :cheer:

Your thoughts on moths,caterpilars,budworms? I am interested in how another fellow grower of this magnitude deals with such a problem, we all have our own techniques. You in California by any chance? :surf:

I'll be waiting with my popcorn for more updates lemba :popcorn:

:ciao:

First of all, Thanks every one for the encuraging words, there greatly appreciated. I want to address tricombs question. I never thought about it. So I dont know if any thing harmful can be transfered from bear wire to the plants. But I use 12 gauge solid copper wire and Im thinking that sence I just replaced the galvinized pipe in my house with copper pipe that it should be ok to use on the plants, it doesnt rust or any like that I know of. Heres a pic of the planter today. If you look close on the left side there are two holes in the canopy.Thats where I pulled branches down to hard and broke them off. So I guess Im going to have to vine branches from the other plants to cover my screw up. Thats it for now.

Your garden is very beautiful! I also grow outside so feel free to stop by my recent journal in my sig links.

There is no real danger of metal being directly on stems of leaves. Many plants grow all over the world on wire fences and are fine. The reason why using bare wire to train plants is more mechanical. The wire gets hot from the sun. That is why it is not recommended and string or cord, coated wire (this is a relatively new development in gardening) and clips. Coated wire has been used for Bonsai for a very long time. They also use bare copper wire. Coated wire is less likely to tear through a plant stem when it gets very hot. Your garden is great!

Back
Top Bottom