Weedy's At It Again - 2000W Indoor & Outdoor

WeedyMcWeedWeed

Ok so I'm back after a handful of moves and a long hiaitis. I missed my 420mag FAM so I'm back to share my new grow with you guys. I'm growing in a garage, so there will probably be some issues with heat or bugs. However i am trying to combat both issues.

So let's get started. Here's a quick run down of my setup. I'll try to get pics up today or tomorrow.

8x4 tent
2k watt hps for flower
1k watt mh for veg
400 watt my for veg
Random t5s until I hook both the 400 and 1k up..
I have 6 in soil and 12 in hydro

Promix soil. And heavy 16 nutes

12 site ebb and gro also with heavy 16 nutes.

Strains are my own cross of strawberrybblue x headband. Purple NY diesel. Girl scout cookies and bubba Tahoe og.

The strawberry and diesel are from seed and in soil the gsc and bubba Are in hydro. And were clones.

So I started with 9 in soil from seed kept 6 in my tent, and I put three outside.

I'm about 5 weeks from seed now. And starting the third week since the clones were placed into the ebb and gro.

Any questions or comments feel free to ask. And keep your gardens green :D

re: Weedy's At It Again - 2000 Watts Indoors & Outdoor

Bugs maybe, It would depend how crappy your garage is. If it's old like mine, any kind of bugs and critters find their way in. Hell my door won't even close all the way lol.

The heat can easily be fixed with a simple roof vent, or one of those vents at the peak, but on the front wall of a house.

Subscribed. :D

Antics..

By bugs I simply mean as of right now I have the tent wide open with fans everywhere. I'm going to buy Diatomaceous earth and make a barrier for crawling bugs. I have fly stirps outsode the tent. And sticky paper Inside the tent for flying bugs Temps range from 68 in the mornings to 88 in the mid day/evening. As it warms up it'll get worse.

My garage is actually nice but not insulated. No animals can get in. And every lock works very well.

I'm going to buy an ac this weekend. Portable on caster. Place it inside the tent. Then I'm going to duct the carbon filter and and ac together with the help of a 6" can fan and exhaust them into the attic of the garage. Where there are approx 4 vents. Two big two small. I intend on hooking a fan to the closer side and using that to exhaust. I'll also duct the lights to exhaust that heat as well. Idk if I'll let it spill into the garage or duct that up to that attic as well which would probably be the better of the two.

Trust me there's plans in the works. And I'm not a beginner. I don't have all the links in my signature but I've had a few journals here. And I've grown since My hiaitis

If you can duct the AC intake, and cold air vents into the tent, opposed to putting the AC unit in the tent it'll save you a ton of space.

Venting the heat from the lights into the garage is easier, but venting into the attic will make the environment more comfortable for you. Another option might be to vent into the garage, and make a floor vent into the attic, which would allow the heat to rise naturally, and still give it a way to escape into the garage. The next step to improve that would be an exhaust fan (like a bathroom fan) mounted in the floor/ceiling to vent the hot air that rose naturally into the attic, and it would save you from running extra ducting, using inline booster fans (depending on distance) etc..

With a 2000w HPS for flowering I already assumed you weren't a beginner lol I just love to offer suggestions on different set ups. Hell, I'd do a grow in my own garage, but it's packed with tools, my 85 Monte, engine hoists, rims, tires, blahblahblah.

Antics.

I believe I have the real estate available to place the ac inside the tent. And i believe it'll be much easier to control temps inside the temp this way. I always feel like ducting ac that isn't meant to be pushed through ducting you loose so much efficiency.

What I'm thinking about doing is running my carbon filter and the ac together running that up into the attic. Then I'll duct my lights both the CF and lights will have a 6" can fan. Once the ducting is outside the tent I'm thinking about combining the two ducts here placong a booster fan just to help keep pulling that bad air out and into the attic. Then I was debating just throwing a small box fan in front of the vent in the attic and letting that blow the air out the vent.

Its all just ideas right now. Ac should be purchased this weekend and that's when I'll start running my ducting..

I'd rather be growing inside my house for control reasons. But I can't grow inside where I live right now. Thankfully the people I'm staying with don't mind a few ladies in the garage or back in the fields.

I agree with you there.

Are these tents made to be cut for ventilation? Another thought I had was with placing the AC inside the tent, you'd still need to deal with the hot AC exhaust. And the AC unit is really only made to vent the exhaust out of the unit and that's it.

If you're ok with cutting, you can cut a rectangle about 2" smaller than the AC unit, with 45 degree angel cuts in the corners, remove the faceplate of the AC unit and slide it up to the hole cut in the tent, fold the extra 1" into the unit, and then reinstall the AC faceplate. That would eliminate ducting cold air, and would eliminate excess hot air from ever entering the tent.

I'm still learning a lot of things as well, so don't take any offense to my suggestions! It's just a new grow to jump in, and maybe something I say will be a good idea, or maybe it'll give you an even better idea.

How large of an AC unit do you plan on purchasing, BTU-wise?

Antics.

No suggestion is ever taken in a bad way. I've always liked to have outside opinions. Especially those that come from people who have dealt with similar issues. Hense why I love this website. Such a god send when I started growing.

I plan on buying a 6-8000 btu stand up portable ac not a window ac. So cutting should not be an issue. And ducting should be a breeze.

Oh you're golden. The stand up units are built for ducting out of a window, that's going to make life a lot easier. The only thing you might need is a reducer to fit your ducting size. Most AC units have a 4" exhaust hose. The ones I've seen actually used the same size hose to intake air from outside the house, which seemed like a bad design. Why draw in HOT outside air to make the unit work harder when you can draw in cooler inside air?

I would think that drawing in cooler air from inside the tent would also promote circulation. Do the units you're looking at use an intake duct as well, or do they intake ambient air? If the former, what were your plans for the intake hose?

Honestly I never thought about the intake line for the ac. I assumed most just recirculated the cooler air inside. I'm gonna have to make sure that's what I get. Or I'll just allow it to passively bring in air from one of the many vent or sleeves built into the tent.

Ok from some Google searching, I'm seeing a few different designs of these units.

Information all about portable units: All About Portable Air Conditioners - PortableACguide.com

What you do with the intake hose will depend highly on the air temperature outside the tent. If it's hotter in the garaage, intake tent air. If it's cooler in the garage, intake garage air to cool the tent faster.

And single hose units seem to be self-explanatory. Hopefully this helps a bit, even coming from a guy that's still learning the ropes (and only on my 2nd grow lol)

Well if it ends up cooler inside the garage I'll be defeating the purpose. I'm running mid to high 80s through most of the day. And that's inside the tent. I havent even checked ambient temps in the garage. However. Once in hook up an ac the tent will be completely closed up. So it should be able to intake ambient cooler air and keep my tent hopefully mid 70s

Subbed' I grow in a garage and heat is the killer for me and with 2k in lights it will be for you to. What I do is run a A/c full time if possible to control temps and put your exhaust fan on a timer to change out air about 4 to 5 times per day. You definitely want to get heat out of garage into attic or elsewhere.If you can get it into attic have it exhaust out the sofit or gable vent. I'm in Colorado and the 100 degree summer is almost here. Also I run lights in the cool nights and only have to really control day temps with the a/c.
Happy Growing,
T

Teldren

Yea I've been looking at my setup since i got off work. And I'm going to definietly duct everything into the attic. And I'll end up using like a small exhaust fan to finish exhausting the bad air out of the attic.

I'm in Michigan and well be pushing those triple digit degrees also. Not to mention 95+% humidity. I also will flower with my lights ON being at night for us.

So should I duct my ac separately from my carbon filter ? I didn't want to duct it into the lights because the fan will shut off with the lights. I figured the CF would be the best bet as I was gonna have it exhaust and scrub the air constantly. But if you're saying not to exhaust the air inside the tent but a few times a day. Then I should have a separate duct for the ac?

Ok. So I got some pics for you guys. Thank you 420mag for updating so I can upload from my phone.
IMG_20140604_174906934.jpg
IMG_20140601_084732170_HDR.jpg
IMG_20140601_084720550_HDR.jpg
IMG_20140531_181458362_HDR.jpg
IMG_20140530_073826280_HDR.jpg

Some dank GDP my homeboy grew
IMG_20140503_103241541.jpg

re: Weedy's At It Again - 2000W Indoor & Outdoor

Yeah I would have a separate cooling system for your lights that turns on with the lights. They should have there own intake and exhaust for the lights it will eliminate alot of the heat. I put a flapper vent on my main intake to keep smell from backing out and make your intake twice the size as what your exhaust is. (example: if you have a six inch can fan for exhaust then I would make two six inch or one 10-12 inch intake.) You can hook that up on a timer if you have the power to run a/c full time that will come on 4-5 times a day just to exchange air out, which I think you will have to to control heat. Hook the exhaust up to your scrubber and timer. They sell portable a/c units that can sit outside your tent and it has its own six inch intake and output that would re-circulate in your tent. They are not cheap but worth it because they can hot-start on and off where normal a/c units cant. You have to wait to before they can turn back on or they lock up. They cost upward of $500 but if possible worth it. The power in my garage sucks so I run my a/c on my night device opposite of my lights just to cool it during the day and my exhaust is on the thermostat for when lights are on. It is a challenge growing in the garage with changing elements but after changing tons of venting and shit around wasting money I got it dialed in now. Hope this helps.
T

Yeah I would have a separate cooling system for your lights that turns on with the lights. They should have there own intake and exhaust for the lights it will eliminate alot of the heat. I put a flapper vent on my main intake to keep smell from backing out and make your intake twice the size as what your exhaust is. (example: if you have a six inch can fan for exhaust then I would make two six inch or one 10-12 inch intake.) You can hook that up on a timer if you have the power to run a/c full time that will come on 4-5 times a day just to exchange air out, which I think you will have to to control heat. Hook the exhaust up to your scrubber and timer. They sell portable a/c units that can sit outside your tent and it has its own six inch intake and output that would re-circulate in your tent. They are not cheap but worth it because they can hot-start on and off where normal a/c units cant. You have to wait to before they can turn back on or they lock up. They cost upward of $500 but if possible worth it. The power in my garage sucks so I run my a/c on my night device opposite of my lights just to cool it during the day and my exhaust is on the thermostat for when lights are on. It is a challenge growing in the garage with changing elements but after changing tons of venting and shit around wasting money I got it dialed in now. Hope this helps.
T

I think I'm gonna a just have passive intake for fresh air as its gonna be crazy hot outside. Then I'll have to figure out of running my carbon scrubber 24/7 will exhaust too much of the cool air or of I'll have to only have it exhaust a few times a day.

A couple shots of the three outside ladies soaking up that gorgeous Michigan sun.
IMG_20140605_100026970_HDR.jpg
IMG_20140605_100020017_HDR.jpg
IMG_20140605_100015412_HDR.jpg
IMG_20140605_100010359_HDR.jpg

Here's some shots of one of my GDP from last year grown outside then finished indoors.
IMG_093016.JPG
IMG_093623.JPG
IMG_094224.JPG
IMG_096022.JPG
IMG_095823.JPG
IMG_098021.JPG
IMG_096922.JPG
IMG_094825.JPG
IMG_097624.JPG

very nice I will be interested in following this, our GDP's look nothing alike we have people here that have made all their own phenotypes and personalized strains and everything get's so discombobulated you never know what strain you're really getting guy's telling you it's bubblegum and it's obviously jack herrer by the smell but you never know till you're clones done but everything looks real nice and healthy. buddies plants look cool.

I'm interested to see how this grow I'm starting goes the greenhouse is already so much work but I have the space and ability to so I feel it's probably best to pull through with it. probably setup a watering system for that no more bucket feeding :D

I have friends that use bush load like 200 a bottle and it just makes your plants swell retardedly huge but I'm sure it causes some kind of internal damage upon ingestion since it's for ornamental plants 0.o

keep up the good work and hope it goes better than expected

503 yea I'm very interested in seeing your grow as I may want to invest in a green house myself for next year.

Teldren
Thanks man. Your shit looks on point as well

Back
Top Bottom