Dkellz86 Super Soil Top LED Mars 2 1200W - 4x4 Tent - Cookies & Cream - Blue Lavender

dkellz86

What's up 420! Welcome to my first grow journal. I'd appreciate any feedback, positive criticism, and knowledge! Here's my setup:
Mars 2 1200w led from topledgrowlight
4x4x7 tent
6" in line exhaust fan 400cfm soon to be hooked to carbon scrubber
Starting from seed in peat moss mad root plugs then into 2 gal square pots then 7 gal smart pots
super soil mix (I'll post my mix in next post)
Exotic genetix blue lavender and cookies & cream

Re: DKELLZ86 super soil top led Mars 2 1200w 4x4 tent cookies & cream and blue lavend

1.5 cu ft tga base soil
1.5 cu ft promix hp
8 lbs organic worm castings
1.25 lbs steamed bone meal
1.25 lbs bat guano bloom
1.25 lbs blood meal
45 ml Epsom salt
1/4 cup dolomite lime
30 ml azomite
7.5 ml humic acid
1.5 oz great white
Also added perlite and hydroton clay pebbles for extra aeration
Right now it is cooking indoors in a room at about 75-78°. It's in a big 55 gallon garbage can I added about 2.5-3 gal of distilled water to it. I've heard mixed things about leaving the lid on or leaving it uncovered. Any advice? I'm thinking about putting it into 18 gallon tubs so I can put the lid on and turn over every 3 days or so. What's the best way in going about the cooking process?

Re: DKELLZ86 super soil top led Mars 2 1200w 4x4 tent cookies & cream and blue lavend

Not sure if its any diff with super soil but with docs high brix I just mix it up add the water mix it up some more, put the lid on it and wait a month. I usually check it once somewhere in the middle just to make sure its all going well but I have not had to do anything additional it always looks fine.

I use a "Brute" plastic garbage can with a lid that snaps on kinda tight but its not air tight. It stays wet enough for a month or so, longer then that and I need to add some water but I also live in vegas and its very dry in the room I have been keeping my soil in.

Also plastic bins or totes work fine too since they have a lid that doesn't seal up air tight. I have my soil from the last grow along with all the trimming and roots I just started cooking in a cheap plastic bin in my closet. I got the garbage can because it has wheels but now that I have a two story house its not as helpful and bins would be easier to store since they're stackable.

This will be interesting. We have nearly the same set up regarding tent size, peat based medium, wattage of light with the exception im running HPS.
Looking forward to seeing some pics!!!

I just opened it to check it out. There's condensation built up on the sides and on the lid. It's only on day 2 so it will be a little while but I'm excited to see the soil web! Seeds are currently being germinated. I will have pics up in a couple days once the tap root pops out and I get them into the peat plugs and humidity dome. Newb question: will my mars 2 1200 be too intense for the seedlings? Would cfls be better while they are just starting? If not how far should my light be from them? My room runs at about 78°-81°f. I'm getting a couple oscillating fans to mount in there too which should make it slightly cooler.

If you already have CFLs then I would use them in the beginning if nothing more then to save electricity. The MarsII will work fine for seedlings but I would start it at least 3 - 3.5' above them and let them grow into it. If you notice them stretching for the light you can lower it little bits at a time until they stop doing it but I really doubt they will.

Also once your into flowering ignore the advertised height and coverage. 12-15" is good for my lights (your big single might need to stay a little higher then this, maybe around 20" or so but im just guessing) I have the 400w and the 700w and I get a real solid 2x4' to 2.5x5' coverage out of them combined at that height, much less then advertised.

Just remember that is a powerful light and when moving it closer to the plants do it in small amounts to let the them adjust to it.

Hope this helps.

Awesome thanks. I'll have pics up soon. I don't have cfls at the moment but I was thinking of supplementing with them later in veg depending on how much the plants like the mars2. Definately going to be topping them and lst...maybe a scrog!

20140915_224104.jpg
20140915_224234.jpg
20140915_224250.jpg
20140915_224305.jpg
20140915_224343.jpg
20140915_225012.jpg

Awesome!

I personally wouldn't mess with supplementing the LED with CFLs. If you end up needing more light the reflector series would be a much better choice and they come in rectangle size. CFLs don't have enough penetration and they need to be close to the plants it will be a PITA for little gain. How many plants and sq feet are you trying to grow?

The nice thing about scrog grows is you don't need a lot of penetration so you could run your light higher and prolly cover your entire tent if you wanted. The bad thing is it takes more veg time to really do right. If this is your first harvest and your in a hurry to get some smoke I would top twice and then LST spread the branches out and grow 6 nice main colas or so per plant. Then on your next round you will have more time to veg them out for a nice big scrog esp if you take a couple clones right before you flip. Are you going to have a separate grow area for vegging and moms for a perpetual or are you just going to grow from seed each time?

Why the heating pad on your soil? 75-78 should be in the money for soil cooking already, at least it is for the high brix. Also I see a plastic bag sticking out of the can. Is it still able to breath some? I don't think you want to cut of the air supply completely.

Thats all I can think of right now. Can't wait to see how the cookies turn out. That sounds like a yummy strain!

4x4x7 is my tent size. 4-6 depending on successful germination and how many females since the seeds are not feminized. I'm definately going to have a veg tent before it's time to take clones so I can keep a good cycle going on. I was playing around with the heat mat to see if it would change the temp at all for future reference if I wanted to make a batch during the winter. It's not there anymore. The plastic bag was in there and yes it was restrictions air and I took it out shortly after that pic was taken after I had done more research. The lid is on top loosely now so it can breathe. Thanks for your help I appreciate it! I'm excited about that strain too! I'll be in touch with more pics of the germination coming soon.

NP I am glad to be able to start to pay forward all the help I have received on here. I am still newbish but I will help as much as I can :thumb:

I just looked up your light. If you keep ~6" on each side empty, (I like to keep them away and off the walls of the tent anyway) you should have good full coverage with the light you have even at a good height. I doubt you will "need" anything additional.

Glad to hear you already got the issues with your cook worked out. If you have some spare time sometime you should check out my latest grow journal. We use very similar equipment and grow methods and I made a few newb mistakes along the way that hopefully you can avoid. Most notably messing with the photoperiod to sex them before they were big enough to take clones then putting them back into veg and not using RO water from the start.

My co2 monitor came in the mail today. I was planning on experimenting with dry ice. First thing I did to insure it was accurate was plug it in outside. Ppm read about 365. I took it in my tent and it read 1250. I haven't added any co2...I'm confused as to why it's reading so high in there.

My co2 monitor came in the mail today. I was planning on experimenting with dry ice. First thing I did to insure it was accurate was plug it in outside. Ppm read about 365. I took it in my tent and it read 1250. I haven't added any co2...I'm confused as to why it's reading so high in there.

What are your ambient Co2 levels just outside your tent? Is your tent possibly near your furnace, or something that may emit carbon dioxide?

I figured it out. I'm cooking super soil in the closet of the room... the closet door was open and I had my exhaust fan on sucking air into the tent. I closed the door to the closet and the ppm in the tent went down to 600. I put the monitor in the lid of the super soil container and it read 2050 ppm.

See, I had a feeling it was someting along those lines. Glad you figured that one out. 2050 ppm ? Wow.

Yea I might move that to the garage if it gets any higher.

Wow i am thinking I need to move mine to my grow room lol. Wonder if the highbrix cook does the same thing, I don't see why it wouldn't.

Nice find I never even thought about the air coming out of the cooking soil.

Back
Top Bottom