Still Growing - SoCal Hybrids & Mexican & Colombian Sativas Under Sun Natural Systems

I was actually supposed to pop first seeds around late March, but I figured that I was running low on my favorite medical strain, so I grabbed three beans from my private seedbank and germinated them successfuly in water. And since they’ve been potted I expect them to break the ground pretty soon, 24-48 hrs tops. It’s one of many hybrids I got from my buddy living on SoCal desert, and this one was described as Mendocino Mad Man x Grape Ape :smokin:

0012202.jpg
0032071.jpg

Among many others I keep in the fridge are O.G. Kush, Ultra O.G, Aurora Ultra, The Crazy Pineapple Shit, Aurora Ultra x Dj Short’s BlueBerry, Jack Herer, Aurora Ultra x L.A. Confidential, Super Lemon Haze and Aurora Ultra Kush, which are all 15-18 year old seeds stashed in garage before they were sent this way :laughtwo:

0041945.jpg

There are also two fresh crosses, which I want to grow this season, and these are MMM/GA x Chem Dog ’91/NYCD + AU x Chem Dog ’91/NYCD. How these plants will turn out you’re gonna find out by following this grow as nobody grew them yet, and this is kinda first objective. Another is to keep some of this genetics alive here by selecting the right male/female and pollinating.

And last but not least we’re gonna have some landrace sativas grown here as this is the kind of smoke I’m really after. For this season I’m grabbing two strains from CannaBiogen: Jarillo de Sinaloa (Mexican landrace from the center of the country) and Punto Rojo (a pure sativa hybrid bred with plants from the north, center and south of Colombia).

As far as method and style are concerned, this is an OUTDOOR TRUE ORGANIC GROW, which means the sun is exploited as the source of light instead of a lamp from beginning to the end, and absolutely no chelated nutes are used throughout the cycle. I depend on what my loam can provide and supplement it with some certified organic additives & homemade formulas to boost vigor, cell strength… and Brix. Yes, this is also Brix friendly grow, so you’re gonna see me with refractometer in action this year trying to figure out if my plants are doing well without guessing what’s happening by the color of the leaves :cheesygrinsmiley:

0061618.jpg

By the way, I didn’t move so you’re gonna look at spring/summer/fall in Northern Italy once again!

Can you dig it? I certainly hope so :tokin:

THIS GROW IS ALSO OPEN TO NON-EXPERIENCED GROWERS WHO JUST WANT TO ASK QUESTIONS, EVEN IF THEY ARE PRETTY BASIC!!! IT WORKED IN THE PAST AND I’D LIKE TO KEEP IT THAT WAY!

Aaaaa I'd forget, temps are now in low 50s during a day and high 30s during the night.

Let’s hit it!

:party::party::party:

Re: Still growin': SoCal hybrids + Mexican & Colombian sativas under Sun Natural Syst

Thx bright and welcome aboard. Exciting season to come for sure :passitleft:

Re: Still growin': SoCal hybrids + Mexican & Colombian sativas under Sun Natural Syst

Iluvsnow, I can see that you joined in September, so probably you got on while I was harvesting :) It's all right with me, I hope you're gonna have fun again :passitleft:

Iluvsnow, I can see that you joined in September, so probably you got on while I was harvesting :) It's all right with me, I hope you're gonna have fun again :passitleft:

That sounds about right. Yours was one of the first long journals I powered through on this site. I don't do outdoor or soil so it was a really good look in on the process. Good stuff. Will you be using the same spots?

The Sunny Spot will be used with The Shady Spot again, but I found another nice spot, flat mountaintop about 300-400 feet higher, where I'm gonna plant some Aurora Ultras and maybe few sativas. I'm gonna try to finish 30-40 plants this season or maybe more :tokin:

Subbed! I've been waiting for this.:green_heart:

Great to see you here, Sue :)
No seedlings yet, that's the problem with old seeds, even if they germinate they are often slow or just stop putting out taproot as soon as they crack open. But I have so many seeds that I can start more any time if these occur to be duds.

So finally an update for you guys!

After few days I have three seedlings of MMM x GA, which I will call Mendocino Grape Ape to keep things orderly. This is a cross of Grape Ape (Skunk #1 x Mendocino Purps x Afghani), a medicinal Cali favorite being passed around on your side only as a clone, which is why it had to be crossed with another strain to give seeds. I don’t know a lot about Mendocino Mad Man unfortunately, only that it’s been bred in Mendocino county by some guy, and was used by a friend of mine for this cross.

I can comment on Grape Ape though, which is an excellent indica-dominant strain with great mixture of body and head high that won’t knock you over and is a great smoke by the end of the day when you want to cook or enjoy a movie. It has this nice euphoric feeling and is a top smoke in its category. It’s also very quick finisher outdoor! What we are looking at here we’ll see!

These two seedlings should grow well:
mmmga_1.jpg

mmmga_2.jpg

This one maybe not on the other hand:
mmmga_3.jpg

You can see pieces of bio-char and volcanic rock dust that have been added to the mix.

In the meantime I popped a fresh batch of seeds of Mendocino Grape Ape x Chem Dog’91/NYCD. This cross has been created last year using MMM x GA female and Chem Dog ‘91/NYCD male that came to my buddy from Soma himself. Well, New York City Diesel is his flagship after all, although I never had an occasion to smoke it or grow it.

:tokin::Namaste:

Re: Still Growing- SoCal Hybrids & Mexican & Colombian Sativas Under Sun Natural Syst

:ciao: neighbour. Hope it's ok if I ride along for the first time. ;)

Re: Still Growing- SoCal Hybrids & Mexican & Colombian Sativas Under Sun Natural Syst

Definitely, man :) We're gonna grow a community even in times of crisis by sharing gardening tips and weather reports from Mediterranean :passitleft:

you had me at the refractometer :popcorn:

in for the long hole, good luck :thumb:

Yeah well it was kinda necessary I thought once I started following these High Brix grows :) I like the science of it, you drop a juice from your leaf and you know if you're there with sugars and minerals. I'm convinced that most of my plants were always in the middle Brix range at least, but now I'll be able to verify it and correct things by giving a kick if there's one to be done. I also think it's gonna be much easier for the growers who use refractometer to understand what's happening in my grow.

Anyway, welcome aboard man. Outdoor things roll out slowly, but sun, rain and natural living soil do their job, and at certain point I face 12 footers :passitleft:

I've had a day off today, so I got high on Malawi Gold and I went to prepare soil in The Sunny Spot :bong: I also added some organic calcium carbonate and crushed red volcanic rock. I might be able to fit 9 plants there, and maybe more later, but I'll be outplanting there not sooner than in early May. Anyway, outdoor you have to add "heavier" additives as soon as it's possible to make sure that they are broken down a little bit faster. Then I fertilize very little throughout the season, 3 times maybe to boost their potential, but with my method later I apply mainly teas made of inoculants, bacteria, hyperaccumulators and molasses. This is gonna be interesting to see if they bring Brix up or down.

And here are some pics of Mendocino Grape Ape under big lamp which hits the surface at around 1367 Watts per square meter or per 10.764ft² :lot-o-toke:

mendocino_grape_ape_1.jpg
mendocino_grape_ape_2.jpg
mendocino_grape_ape_3.jpg

Two seedlings of this strain have survived so far, but the other one is a bit mutated, so I'm gonna pull it too I think. 2 Mendocino Grape Dogs are in soil though, and I also soaked 7 x The Crazy Pineapple Shit, so we're gonna roll. I also scuffed three seeds that didn't want to crack and expect them to pop. I might take two plants and flower them in April, so they should be ready by middle or late May. Last year I was really blown away by my Green Crack that was finished in early July. High UVB index makes for killer weed :yummy:

That's the one:

gcharvest_4.jpg
gcharvest_10.jpg

gcharvest_9.jpg

Ok guys, have a good one :passitleft:

sounds cool,
subbed up.

the road goes on forever and the party never ends//....

Hi Conradino23, hope you don't mind if I take a seat and join the adventure. I've been waiting for a true organics grow to join from start to finish. And this is outdoor which is a bonus. Wish I could grow in my backyard. Much envy. Good luck on your nug of the month entry.

You're all very welcome here, guys :)
It's just started, but the time will show how it all goes, and you never know ;)

ATM there's not much to report. Two MGAs are trying to grow although they are being bombarded by early spring UVB, and I'm waiting for two MGDs two show their headz. The Crazy Pineapple Shit weren't very eager to crack - did I mention these seeds were old :) - so I've been using black tea extract, and it worked, cause I had two pops today. Yeah, that's a tip for you guys. If it's old soak it that way if it doesn't happen in water. Yeah I know why bother, right? But the genetics I got from my buddy is rare, so I do my best. I'm usually good with seeds, some know that on 420, and I do not really work with clones, but here I have a real challenge. I'm also germinating more Mendocino Dogs, and here ratio of success is better :) I think I'm ready to pop O.G. Kush and Ultra O.G, last year I got hold of one plant that way, very lemoney smoke, 50/50 kind of split, which I thought was mellow, but I smoked a lot of it once and I really got loaded :) Kinda strain I don't know what to do with it. Medicinal, stimulating and relaxing in the same time, not really my type, but I'll see if I can work it up with better conditions, cause last time they weren't perfect. Weird plant too it was for me young Jedi. it never branched out.

And later we'll roll further into other stuff, I really want to grow this Mexican landrace, cause I never smoked Mexican in my life. Yeah I know, you consider it dirtweed or schwag or whatever, but I also heard about this weed being top of the line, and I never believe anyone :)

Ok, have a green one :Namaste:

:ciao: Conrad

How's the weather looking? Very wet and quite chilly here, probably until April. When will you harden them off - or do you use a cold frame?

"I never believe anyone" is the attitude of a Cynic. I have a soft spot for them.
:circle-of-love:

Looking very good actually :) Today it was colder, but no clouds for 3 days. RH is always high in my part, even in the summer not lower than 55%, but that's just how it is.

I started hardening them already with heavy sun exposure and morning cold. That's the way to guarantee high THC level and strong immunological system. MGA actually is producing trichs already on a first set of leaves, I checked with loupe :) Cynic? I consider myself a happy realist who just likes to cut the bullshit out of his life :bong:

I'll come over pretty soon to check what you're cooking there yourself. How's the fishing season coming? You're on the coast if my memory serves me well, aren't you? I can't wait for the summer actually, I'd like to go to Tuscanny for a few days, but for now I'll have to stick to surrounding hills :)

Back
Top Bottom