First Grow - Unknown Strain - Advice Welcome

steveboss94

Hey, this is my first grow I have 3 seedlings in 4L pots they are under 2× t5s 1x t8 and 2x cfls 6500k. I have 2 fans constantly blowing unless temp drops they sit at a consistent 22 to 28c with a few spikes here and there. They are in good soil which has blood and bone in it with excellent drainage. I received the seeds of a friend unsure what strain it is . They spouted within a day of germ and growth rate was good for the first 5 days. Since then i am now at day 15 and no changes they have there first set of true leaves and a small set of second true leaves and are only 1" to 2" high TIA any advice appreciated
20150518_170502.jpg
vice is appreciated. TIA
20150518_170458.jpg
20150518_170453.jpg
20150518_170450.jpg
20150518_170440.jpg

Hi. Im no expert, but I think they might be overwatered. I cant tell how wet the soil is from the pictures. How often and how much do you water?

They are growing, growing roots.. Patience is key at this stage, especially in those big pots. Don't overwater. Shouldn't really need to water that for around 3 weeks. It's good to start in small pots, allows to help with growing rootball also stops overwatering. They'll be right...

Most new growers over water, those tiny plants can't eat more than a couple drops a day, 90% of what you are putting in the pots is aspirating.

When my cuttings are new into solo cups or 1 gallons after transplanting, they go a good 8-11 days before needing their first water. Sequential waterings after become closer together as the plant gets larger and eats more. Don't automatically feed every 3 days, especially when you have these tiny plants. Let the pots dry out til they are very lightweight. At this size you don't want to let them get droopy as they don't have the size to recover, but once they have about 5 nodes (this is a good size metric where you can judge a plant has become a plant from a seedling and can begin to take feeding and training and other forms of abuse that the little bean sprouts just won't) you can go ahead and let them get thirsty before you feed them.

If you actually make it to bloom with healthy plants and big strong rootballs, you can then keep the soil perpertually moist/damp (still not overwatered!!!!!) as the flowers will eat perpetually. This is especially true for the 4-6 week period following bud set (usually 3-4 weeks after flip).

Once they are a little bigger you can judge when to feed by when they begin to droop a little.

For now know that those seedlings need barely more water than condensation, they can practically survive just by spraying them with a little water.

FWIW those tiny lil gals do not have "decent rootballs". They might have a couple roots. Patience grasshopper, you are on page 1 of a long book and its not all written in your native tongue.

Again, most new growers over feed and over water. 90-99% of what we do with our grows has to do with the environment we place the plants and how we control it. This is generally agreed upon. Nothing you can do will come close to affecting your final results compared to understanding, engineering, and dialing in a perfect grow environment. The other 1-10% of success is understanding the plants and just letting them be and do their own thing.

Don't take this poorly but your "instinct" to transplant them already was wrong. They should have gone another month or so in those solos. Point of reference: I received clones in solos with already 5+ nodes. I kept them in solos for a month and could have gone another week-10 days. By the time I transplanted them they were a good 8-10" high and bushy. There are pics in my journal of when I first got them - present.

They are looking very fine now. :) Nice job.

Too much light too maybe, those little guys don't need your full array there yet, one t5 bulb is probably plenty. its really hard to say not much going on yet.

Also when you say "good soil" I wonder what your parameters are.

Often times beginners early attempts with soil struggle to get off the ground because the organic matter and feeding are just too hot - in common worst case scenarios this straight kills the seedlings, in most others, it severely stunts growth and makes it very difficult to achieve normal size plants.

thanks sorenna, okay i might back the light of a bit, just wasnt sure if the t5s were giving of anoth of the proper light spectrum thats why i added the cfls ,then the t8 just to boost lumes. i had them lower to the plants there now about 6" away. should i just run the 1 t8 or the 2 t5s as there dual have to have them both on? ill post a pic up of the soil it could be to hot

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom